Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 52677 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2014, 01:46:18 pm »

I hate how some children do those screams. It's because they don't realize that there are certain screams you save for when you are dying. If you do that scream and everyone looks at you and you are not dying, everyone will be very mad at you.

And you will definitely not get the candies. If you do the death-scream and your parent gives you the candies to shut you up, everyone will be very mad at the parent too.

We are very lucky to live in a civilized society where people will only be very mad and not do anything more.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2014, 01:57:22 pm »

That's, uh, that's a hell of a segue there, Leo. Unless there are kids in Morrowind? I don't think there were, though...
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2014, 01:59:31 pm »

There are no children in Elder Scrolls games. There are only immortal extradimensional aliens.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2014, 04:07:43 pm »

Sappho was talking about a death-scream her character makes when it's not appropriate. I was talking about how some children in real life do death-screams on a regular basis because they don't realize that is not a thing they should do just to get their way.

I'm not talkin' a baby screeching. I'm talkin' a full-on death scream. Scares the crap out of you and makes you wanna go all uncivilized-like on account of being so fearfully startled over some candies or whatever.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2014, 04:25:26 pm »

Yeah, screaming kids makes me hates this whole "don't murder kids" taboo we have going on.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2014, 04:30:30 pm »

Children only do that because their parents reward them by giving in to that behavior, thereby teaching them that this is the correct way to get what they want.

Speaking as a teacher of kids aged 2 to 12, I can see very clearly how the parental behavior directly causes the behavior of the child. The kids whose parents are strict and consistent (unforgivably rare nowadays) are always well behaved, except in the extremely rare case of a genuine psych or neurological problem such as ADHD or autism. The parents who want their child to always be happy, or who just can't stand to see them cry, or who are too impatient to let them scream without giving in, end up with rotten, horrible, awful kids.

Let that be a lesson to all of you: if you plan on having kids, you had damn well better be prepared to let them suffer, cry, and scream without giving them what they want. Otherwise you are a terrible parent who is ruining your child as a human being.

Venting aside, I took a break from Morrowind today out of necessity. Still have the flu, but I have to go to work, because I missed a whole week due to being stuck in America during that polar vortex thing, and I don't get any paid time off. Been spending the whole afternoon/evening drinking tea and eating/drinking various combinations of garlic, chili pepper, ginger, honey, and whatever is easy to cook without having to stand over it, because I keep getting dizzy and lightheaded and I don't want to pass out while making dinner. I think I'm going to try to make some homemade antibiotic danger sauce (honey with lots of minced garlic, cayenne pepper powder, and lemon juice) before going to bed. Wish me luck.

Regarding the actual game, if I join the thieves' guild, will I have access to cheaper training in sneak/security? Or will I have to complete quests that are beyond my abilities, making the guild kind of pointless for me?

I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to join it. I want to help them fight off the crime gang, can't remember the name right now. Even if I can't advance for the time being, I could at least ally myself with them.

Okay, off to bed with me. Wish me luck surviving work tomorrow, friends.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2014, 04:46:58 pm »

Regarding the actual game, if I join the thieves' guild, will I have access to cheaper training in sneak/security?

Ideally, you're doing these things enough that they have reasonable multipliers when leveling. But I do recall that they offer trainers once you've joined.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2014, 04:50:42 pm »

Here's something that's bugging me: every time I get hit in combat, no matter how minor the damage, my (female) character lets out an intense piercing scream. It sounds like she's dying every time, and I reflexively give up fighting for a second or two before I realize I'm still alive.

I never played a female character in MW, but this has bothered me about video games since Diablo 1.  It has probably been going on a lot longer, but I first noticed it then because I was, 1: old enough to start paying attention to that sort of thing, and 2: playing the archer most of the time.

It seems to me that most female voice acting makes the damage response sound somewhat (if not blatantly) sexual. 

Now, I don't mean to be spouting feminism or censorship or anything like that, but I think that sexualizing violence to women and marketing that to a young video game audience might not be the very best idea that anyone ever had. 

It's probably profitable, though.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2014, 04:58:06 pm »

Unless there are kids in Morrowind? I don't think there were, though...

There is a mod for this.  Adds kids and street urchins and such.  Supposed to greatly help the immersion of the game, make cities feel more alive, etc.  Never tried it, but it sounds like a good idea.

I can only imagine that in a game where you can wantonly murder, rob, and undress every NPC, the developers made a conscious decision to leave children out of the mix.  Do they have kids in any of the GTA games?  I'm guessing not.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2014, 05:57:54 pm »

Regarding the actual game, if I join the thieves' guild, will I have access to cheaper training in sneak/security?

Ideally, you're doing these things enough that they have reasonable multipliers when leveling. But I do recall that they offer trainers once you've joined.

There are people outside the guild who can train you in those things too, but you'd have to go looking for them.

I think training costs are modified by that trainer's Disposition towards you, and they should get a decent bump just from joining their guild, so yeah, it should effectively make it cheaper. If it's a trainer you're going to use over and over again, it might be worth bribing them to bump up their Disposition, but rising in the guild ranks should do the same thing.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2014, 05:59:50 pm »

Here's something that's bugging me: every time I get hit in combat, no matter how minor the damage, my (female) character lets out an intense piercing scream. It sounds like she's dying every time, and I reflexively give up fighting for a second or two before I realize I'm still alive.

I never played a female character in MW, but this has bothered me about video games since Diablo 1.  It has probably been going on a lot longer, but I first noticed it then because I was, 1: old enough to start paying attention to that sort of thing, and 2: playing the archer most of the time.

It seems to me that most female voice acting makes the damage response sound somewhat (if not blatantly) sexual. 

Now, I don't mean to be spouting feminism or censorship or anything like that, but I think that sexualizing violence to women and marketing that to a young video game audience might not be the very best idea that anyone ever had. 

It's probably profitable, though.
In DDO when you kill a dryad it sounds like she's having a really good time.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2014, 06:03:25 pm »

The annoying vocals aren't just from the females. I quickly quit my first male Breton character for the same reason. Male Imperials and Dummer *dark elves* aren't as bad if my recollection is correct but it has been a while and I can't honestly speak for the female characters.

Anyway, yeah I miss that game. Lost the disc a long time ago but I might buy it on steam at some point. Is there a mod that makes store inventories respawn eventually? It might sound silly but wading through Creeper's massive inventory by late game was quite a headache and I would like to have store inventories respawn should I ever go back to playing Morrowind.

Also, in regards to leveling, don't worry too much about *messing up* because you can just exploit the jail reducing skills mechanic to level up indefinitely.

Honestly though, mages are the way to go from a power perspective. There's a good reason magicka doesn't regenerate without sleep in Morrowind. It's because magic is freaking godly in that game. It's broken in so many ways with alchemy and especially enchanting. I used to make items with permanent summoning enchantments and run around with armies of ghosts haha. I also like using the soul trap spell glitch to make permanent summons despite it being broken. It felt a little cheap but it was a nice way to get certain ingredients and loot without having to go around searching for it. I just liked hanging around in my wizard tower performing little fun experiments. There was a spell crafting lady that I brought in using command person so I could toy around with spells. Then I would goof off and create random teams of summons and have them fight each other while I levitated overhead.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:10:04 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2014, 07:05:02 pm »

I remember being able to put a low-damage rapidfire spell in an exquisite ring that made the game feel like a typical FPS with a machine-gun. Also a really good jump spell made it so I could just sail along, so awesome.

I think respawning shops would be a problem. I like having stuff stay in a shop. What would be really nice is if people bought stuff from the shop and it showed up in their houses. And anything you sell to the shop shows up as physical objects in the storeroom in back or in the shop itself.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2014, 07:11:11 pm »

I thought they *did* respawn?

I seem to remember some inventory exploit where alchemists would revert their stock after 24hrs, so that they would have more ingredients for you.  So if they were supposed to have muck root (or whatever) they would restock their 20 units of muck root each day so you could buy it again and make more potions.

Except there was an exploit where if you sold them 20 more units of muck root, they would restock based on the new higher total of 40 units.  They would only do this with items they started with, or were supposed to have in stock. 

So I think this was a way of mass-producing alchemical items, or maybe of exploiting NPC gold levels so you could eventually buy 1000 units of some item from them, leave them with a bunch of gold, then sell them some expensive item you have been trying to offload for a while.

It may have been patched out?  I might also have the details wrong.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2014, 07:18:28 pm »

I thought they *did* respawn?

I seem to remember some inventory exploit where alchemists would revert their stock after 24hrs, so that they would have more ingredients for you.  So if they were supposed to have muck root (or whatever) they would restock their 20 units of muck root each day so you could buy it again and make more potions.

Except there was an exploit where if you sold them 20 more units of muck root, they would restock based on the new higher total of 40 units.  They would only do this with items they started with, or were supposed to have in stock. 

So I think this was a way of mass-producing alchemical items, or maybe of exploiting NPC gold levels so you could eventually buy 1000 units of some item from them, leave them with a bunch of gold, then sell them some expensive item you have been trying to offload for a while.

It may have been patched out?  I might also have the details wrong.
Nope, that's apparently still in there according to UESP.  Apparently there is a bug with the Mudcrab Merchant that causes his inventory to reset, but UESP is unfortunately not very forthcoming on details for how to cause it.  It might be leaving them alone for a week in-game; the Commerce article warns that "after a week of not visiting a vendor, their inventory may reset to the default values").  I can't really validate any of that, though, since I never noticed either. 
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25