Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241391 times)

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #2025 on: August 05, 2022, 11:56:39 am »

Planning to start another playthrough of either xpiratez or 40k, just have two questions:

How is 40k/rosigma going regarding ufopedia? I don't expect a lot of text and lore there, but last time I played you couldn't even get stats of most weapons/enemies in any way ingame. XPiratez had everything you could ever want and more.

Do you still have to recompile OXCE because the dev, in cataclysm:dda fashion, decided to hide "dev" features behind hashed password? By "dev" features I mean options that f.e. allowed moving finished buildings inside a base. Hard to call it "dev" feature because even a cost to do so was implemented.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 05, 2022, 01:10:19 pm »

There's a lot in the codex (40k name for the pedia) with 40k+Rosigma now, so far all the weapons i researched are in it, some ammo aren't because they are on a different research (master crafted ammo by example) .
I don't know if there are still missing entries, but take note that sometime you recieve some usable weapon/items before they are part of a research and so may not yet be in the codex (they will be eventually).

For the enemies, i'm not sure why some of my codex entries have stats and some haven"t, maybe it has to do with the guys being prisonners or a corpses when you research them ?

No idea about OXCE compilling, i just download the game there, looks like there are builds for most OS :
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=5258.0

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: August 05, 2022, 01:25:42 pm »

Moving facilities around used to be a feature, but was supposed to be removed, presumably because of being unrealistic.
Personally, I would have kept it, but altered it so that it took an amount of time and cost an amount money dependant on the size of facility moved.

So, for example, if you moved a 1x1 facility, it would take 5 days and cost $10 000. But moving a 2x2 would take 20 days and cost $40 000. (The time and monetary cost per tile would be alterable by mods of course)

I guess that instead of a full removal, they just locked it away.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 01:33:04 pm by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 05, 2022, 01:43:03 pm »

I recall a flag for it in the ini as something snarky like "The most cheaty-est option".  Because gods forbid we construct a base incorrectly because we haven't played or peeked ahead obsessively, and then throw away a ton of resources to relocate them from one cavern to another.  It still cost money, yeah.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: August 05, 2022, 02:58:53 pm »

I recall a flag for it in the ini as something snarky like "The most cheaty-est option".
There was, and then devs said fu to everyone using it and put addiotional option that needed you to put a password, they even put a work to make a password hashed in the code, so reading a source gave you nothing. Normally if anyone known would have post it on the forum. The easiest way to get it back was to remove 2 lines of code and recompile, hence the question. It's just devs being annoying for the sake of being annoying and made me back off last time i wanted to start some playthrough.

P.S. at the time posting anything like that on oxce forums would get you banned.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 03:00:26 pm by lastverb »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: August 05, 2022, 04:09:57 pm »

Wow, i ignored there was this kind of drama behind the scenes, it sounds so odd for a single player game with 0 multiplayer component to have some developer to go out of their ways to make sure a player can't use a specific option and so completely absurd to ban them for even wanting it back.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 03:11:29 am by Robsoie »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 05, 2022, 05:52:56 pm »

This kind of thing is a dime a dozen in the modding scene of pretty much every game. There's just something about modding and the kind of people it attracts.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 06, 2022, 03:10:49 am »

As far as I know moving buildings was removed by the OpenXCom devs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 06, 2022, 03:15:48 am »

But OXCE is a fork of OpenXcom , and it's the OXCE dev that created this feature, so not sure why the OpenXCom devs removing the feature would do the same on OXCE ?
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=4232.0

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 06, 2022, 12:26:15 pm »

Then it was probably the OXCE devs who removed it (couldn't open the link, the board seems to be down at the moment).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 06, 2022, 12:50:43 pm »

This kind of thing is a dime a dozen in the modding scene of pretty much every game. There's just something about modding and the kind of people it attracts.
I know what drew me to Kenshi Modding was the feeling of being God and being able to set the stage however I liked.
...I can see how that attitude could be a problem.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: August 06, 2022, 02:10:18 pm »

The oddity regarding this specifc issue is that in OXCE you have access to debug mode, with "kill or stun everything on the map" type of commands.
 But apparently moving facilities was considered too much cheating for some strange reason .

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 07, 2022, 06:21:43 am »

I checked the rulesets file, and if i understand well the Piratez_Factions.rul

Assuming difficulty 1 is the second easiest, that can't be all there is to it-- I've destroyed 1xT1 base, 1xT2 base, shot down at least two missions with the objective to establish a new base, and I still have 2xT2 bases and the HQ on the map.

Well, for now at least.

I'm in the cleanup phase of the HQ, and I'm finding it to be a lot easier than some of my other battles... partly because I may be overtech'd (2xHovertank/Las, 2xTank/H.Las, everybody in Assault Marine except for my kitties being in the Nekomimi equivalent, and the X-Com lasers), but the layouts are also much more obvious in how to deal with them. Not up to powered suits yet; still hunting for a Mercenary Engineer.

Spoiler: How I dealt with them. (click to show/hide)
Update:
Spoiler: HQ Score (click to show/hide)

Oh, and destroying the HQ... does not disable the existing bases. orz
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 04:16:50 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 07, 2022, 08:30:03 am »

Possibility i imagine is that those numbers i see in the ruleset are only for chances of a ninja base spawning out of thin air, but do not account for the random UFOs that sometime try to establish new bases but can be intercepted/destroyed before they do ?
edit : didn't noticed the enemy base you destroyed, wow 186 enemies !
Good work !
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 07:55:43 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 07, 2022, 07:52:25 pm »

My first space marine that fell in battle and was brought back into the fight from the memorial page (i selected the one that had the highest fire accuracy).
Spoiler: dreadnoughts are big (click to show/hide)
By default the dreadnoughts have
- a dreadnought flamer (that is stronger than a flamer, but not as strong as a heavy flamer)
- a dreadnought fist (that hits harder and is more accurate than a Powerfist but only deals melee type of damage while powerfist deals plasma type of damage)

When equipped with a "mortis dreadnought armor"  that i recently forged the dreadnought flamer is replaced by a twin-linked lascannon.
But i can't find any info on the codex about the twin-linked lascannon (or if the mortis armor gives more protection), either they forgot about it, or it's still locked behind a research that i haven't done yet.

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 153