Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 108948 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2016, 03:19:28 pm »

Hunter is Worm/Bloodborne and things are going as you might expect in Brockton Bay.
Seconding this, it's the only good Bloodborne cross I've seen.
Thirding this, because it really is quite good.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 31, 2016, 04:16:57 pm »

Since watching an LP of the pacifist route I've become a big fan of Undertale. Does anyone have any good undertale stuff?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 01, 2016, 06:53:17 pm »

Since the thread hasn't been updated in quite a while I figured that I might as well throw out the stuff I'm currently reading. I've also noticed that there are almost no quests in the thread, so I figured that I might throw a bunch out there for people to read.

Fanfiction:
Don't Be An Impel Down-er:A pretty funny one piece SI. The main character is born in Impel Down as the child of someone the world goverment hates, and is given a life sentence for "being born". Gets OP humor pretty much perfect. Also is updating daily right now, which is very nice.
Silver: Taylor dies in the locker and a high level pathfinder sorcerer reincarnates into her body. Not a particularly serious fic, and pretty funny.

Quests:
Anderson Quest: Killing Vampires and Werewolves and Leprechauns: A hellsing/bloodborne cross where Father Anderson becomes the good hunter after the events of hellsing. His interactions with the world are pretty damn funny.
The Boiling Blood [ZnT Quest] Story Only Thread: A pretty good ZnT quest where unlike 99% of ZnT fanfiction the main character isn't Louise's familiar. Note that there is a second story archive after this one.
Shed Skin - A Naruto Time Travel Quest: Orochimaru gets sent back in time after getting sealed by Itachi. The best part about it by far is that the MC is Orochimaru, everyone's favorite sociopatic genius ninja scientist.
A Man’s Dream Never Dies: A One Piece Quest: Lovely One Piece quest. The players control Black Bart, and attempt to realize his goals of being the pirate king.
Stark Transcendent (Iron Man/Marvel Quest): An Iron man quest following stark. Pretty great. I really love the mad-scientist;/tinker genre, so I love this story as well.
A Dragon of the North: A ASOIAF/Skyrim cross where Jon Snow is dragonborn and has dreams of the main charachter from Skyrim. As this means that he has access to the thum (and the fact that the players choose to leave Winterfell early), things diverge very significantly from canon.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 01, 2016, 07:11:19 pm »

So I figured I'd hit the bottom of the well when it came to Mass Effect fics a long time ago, but I recently ran into something that is ungodly good, maybe even surmounting Renegade Reinterpretations as my all-time favorite.

Of Sheep and Battle Chicken has an absurd title but is the best. Originally it was just a grimdark spin on ME, but in fairly short order was then revised into a full AU. Essentially, it's Mass Effect crossed spiritually (but only spiritually) with 40k. Probably its most main theme is the inherent corruption that comes with organizations no matter how noble (or ignoble), contrasted against the potential in people who refuse to be compromised.

What really elevates OSABC though is that it is also supported by a large number of side-documents, some over 100k words themselves, that detail the elements of the AU. Not only does this save the main story from having to unnaturally explain all of that, but it vastly extends the reading time, which with this author is a definite plus.

It also helps that the author both recognizes the rails of the canon story and is willing to go off of them, so the story remains both recognizably Mass Effect while being radically different at unexpected intervals.

Currently, the ME1 story is finished, as is the interregnum for ME1 and 2 (mostly the ME1 DLC expanded to have actual story). ME2 is in progress. And there are about a dozen supplementary documents in various stages of completion. This is probably the only time I've ever gone well over a million words for a single fic, so know that this is top-tier recommended.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 04, 2016, 10:57:22 pm »

A Man’s Dream Never Dies: A One Piece Quest: Lovely One Piece quest. The players control Black Bart, and attempt to realize his goals of being the pirate king.
Seconding. One of the best quests active right now, and it updates frequently. The other two active ones I'm following are these:

Heir of the Bruce: Battletech CK2ish dynasty, playing as the child duchess of a backwater Scots-flavored world. Excessive good fortunes and bad fortunes both.

There is no GATE; we did not fight there: Gateverse CK2-styled dynasty. Basically an AU in a western province, it started well before the canon plot, with the intent of the character being an adult when that gets going. Was supposed to be grim, gritty low fantasy, but a series of absurdly good rolls turned it into bright and happy high fantasy.

Ave Imperator: Worm/40K. Immediately goes off the rails. Half-forgotten ghost of Emps hijacks the trigger thanks to Taylor's latent potential as a psyker, imprints memories and knowledge on her. The Warp is calm, the 40K races and Ruinous Powers are nowhere to be seen, but the Earth and many on it carry the taint of the alien. Only two chapter snippets, but it looks promising as hell.

As N Approaches Infinity: PMMM/Bleach. Did I mention this already? I forget. Homu-dawg fucks off and takes a train out of the district one loop, meets the recently-contracted Yuzu and Karin. Very bad things happen, but she takes messages from several key people to themselves with her when she loops. Does a good job of fusing the two universes, everyone's reasonably in character, there's solid balance and no wank.

The White Rose of Vermilion: Gods above and below, I'd never expected to rec any sort of alt-setting AU like this. RWBY medieval AU. Fucking amazing. Just read it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SixWaysToSunday

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 18, 2016, 09:29:30 am »

Thanks for this great thread, people! I've found lots of quality fanfics to read here, and want to add a couple of my own recommendations:

Fallout: Equestria by Kkat (ebook link) is one of the best fanfic stories I've ever read - and I don't even particularly like MLP! What will the world of My Little Pony look like after apocalyptic global war with weapons of mass destruction, scientific experiments gone horribly wrong, and 200 years of magical radiation? This is what: raiders, cannibals, slavers, zombies, self-proclaimed Goddesses, and mutants of every variety. Survivors huddle together in the lawless wasteland ruled by jungle law. Few lucky ones to be left unscathed by the Great War lock themselves in shelters and enclaves trying to wait out the apocalypse. This is the world that sheltered, naive protagonist is seeing after stepping out of her survival bunker.

I actually haven't thought that Fallout: Equestria will be this good, when I started reading it. Given my cursory knowledge of 1st season of MLP cartoon and half-forgotten Fallout 2 run, I thought I'll just give it a glance to humor my friend who recommended it. Boy, was I wrong! This story is about epic adventure, it's dark, but not horror level dark, with great protagonist and superb world-building.

Imo, one of the signs of the quality fic is when you see massively popular recursive fanfiction for it, and in case of Fallout: Equestria there a ton of really good works. The world of post-apocalyptic Equestria is just so alive and wide that it allows multiple good stories to run simultaneously without much interference. Here's couple of my favorite ones:

Fallout: Equestria - Project Horizons by Somber is a bit darker and maybe more mature than its parent-fic, but certainly a great read too. It has even more plot twists and sinister plans from the past unfolding in the wasteland, but generally all that was said about Fallout: Equestria is applicable here. If parent fic was to your liking, you'll certainly love Project Horizons too.

Fallout: Equestria - Pink Eyes by mimezinga is a different beast altogether. This is a story about little cute child traveling to find her mom, meeting new friends and sometimes playing around. Except the child is a zombie in hazmat suit, mom has likely died 200 years ago, new friends are often psychotic killers, and all around lies postapocalyptic Equestrian wasteland. But all that doesn't matter, 'cause Puppysmiles believes and will never lose hope. Alternatively sad and funny story, with its own distinctive style.

Also, here's a couple of One Piece fanfics from Phalanx, and they are seriously should be much more popular than they are right now:

Though A Bird Can't Fly, That Doesn't Mean It Never Will - story where Kuina (you know, Zoro's childhood rival) is blinded, not dead, and sets out to Grand Line as a part of the Smoker crew. Very close to manga in spirit, imo, contrary to some other fics that are trying to make of One Piece world something different and losing the Oda's magic in the process. I've enjoyed it much more than "This Bites!", for instance.

Marie D Suesse And The Mystery New Pirate Age! - deconstruction of typical Mary Sue style story, starts slow, but gets nice around when Disinfector appears.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:53:26 am by SixWaysToSunday »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 18, 2016, 10:15:49 am »

Oh, hey, I suppose it's time for another round. I'll do my best to avoid repeats.

I'm a WHAT now? My Surprising New Job! - Sailor Moon SI. Wait, wait, don't leave yet! The writing is solid, the plot isn't transparent, and the SI was structured very well as part of a larger AU antagonist group.

E.L.F, Extraterrestrial Lifeform - Worm/40K, Taylor alt-power. She's a Farseer. With the souls of apparently all the surviving Craftworld Eldar stuck to her, from what appears to have been some sort of last-ditch effort to vacate the premises. Sorta-fusion; the Warp is known to exist in this Wormverse, though it's relatively calm, meaning only the pre-active-Chaos-gods nasties wandering around.

If you weren't paying attention, Anime Addventure is dead. The good news? Dungeon Keeper Ami's author now has the full archive up on SV, and is continuing to write it.

Covenant - Worm/V:TR fusion. Taylor doesn't trigger. Nails the creepy-disturbing feeling of proper bloodsuckers. Christ, it's creepy. In a good way.

The Lion Awakens, The Lion Unleashed - Legend of the Galactic Heroes/Mass Effect. Yes, you read that right. Yes, it's well-written. Yes, it does dabble in the first contact cliche, but god damn it's a LotGH fic that a) EXISTS and b) isn't shit.

Advice and Trust - NGE. Wait, seriously? Nobody's recommended this yet? NGE in which Shinji and Asuka manage to be slightly less socially retarded. Easily a contender for the best NGE fic ever written. WAFFy, but god damn do they deserve it. Read this if you care at all about the setting or characters, because it captures both very well through a lens only slightly shifted.

Magnara - ASoIaF/Girl Genius. I'll avoid spoiling anything and just leave you with this: Agatha dumped north of the Wall some time before Robert's Rebellion. Fuckin' excellent and going places to boot.

For Those We Cherish - RWBY/40K. Near the end of their penitent crusade, the Lamenters are spat out of the Warp onto Remnant. The heart-of-gold Marines doing what they do best: being some of the least shitty people in the Imperium.

Wearing Robert's Crown - ASoIaF SI. The best one. It does two things that I've never seen from an SI fic. The first is that the entire story is told from the perspective of other characters, not even a single line from the Robert-SI's point of view. The second is a massive spoiler. Excellent writing to boot. Read it. Read it now.

Miracles of Ancient Wonder - Exalted/RWBY fusion. No, actually. Very well written, and possibly the only Exalted crossover I've ever seen that actually writes in an appropriate tone and uses the Exalted fluff and crunch for something beyond an easy powerup for a character in a different setting. I've already said it twice, but fucking read this. Nails the tone perfectly.

Arc of the Revolution - RWBY AU. In which Jaune is not admitted to Beacon, steals a horse from a Maiden, and accidentally takes over the world. Delicious contrast between Jaune's perspective of stumbling his way through incredibly dangerous situations by the seat of his pants, carried along by ample assistance from others and more than his share of luck, with that of anyone trying to deal with him and only seeing him as an incredibly dangerous person. This, this is the Jaune fic we needed to break him of his curse to be Xander's heir in the fanfic community.

‘Hazredous’ Interruptions - MGLN/RWBY. What's that? A Nanoha story that's a crossover? That involves more than one or two characters? That's alive? That isn't shit? Gods below, it's a miracle!

Constellations - Worm/Okami. Taylor gets a Good Dog; Danny triggers with QA. Another quality fic from Unwelcome Storm. Plenty of humor. Just... don't read the comments in the thread. Shitposts, shitposts everywhere.

El-Ahrairah - Worm AU. Not going to spoil it. Superb writing. If you caught the reference you'll probably enjoy it.

Aaaand now for a couple quests.

Ours is the Fury: House Baratheon Quest - Hammertime, baybee. No fat whoremongering Roberts here, no sirrah.

Battle Action Harem Highschool Side Character Quest (No SV, you are the Waifu) - What it says on the tin. It's a mashup of about half a dozen different haremshit settings, with the players guiding a side character to become important enough to the story and popular enough with the audience to gain a spinoff series of their own. Very long gaps between updates, but the updates are around 10k words each. Fun stuff.

3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 18, 2016, 11:32:26 am »

ELF was kinda... eh. I stopped reading it.

Covenant is good, and BAHHSCQ (NSVYATW) was actually really surprisingly high quality for the premise - but I guess that's the point.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 18, 2016, 12:12:40 pm »

Yeah, I questioned including it, but I'm holding out hope that it'll use the interesting parts of the premise.

3. Run Resize Enable

SixWaysToSunday

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 20, 2016, 10:51:08 am »

While preparing my next batch of recommendations, I was a bit tired of googling if this or that was already mentioned somewhere above, so here's almost full (I've parsed it with a script and manually fixed couple of links afterward, so something could have been lost in the process) sorted and tab-separated list of fanfic links found in this thread:

http://pastebin.com/1wzDzG4t (pastebin so you can search it with Ctrl+F, format is <title>\t<link to fanfic>\t<link to post>)

P.S. Sadly the list it too big to publish it in one post on this forum and the link above can die after some time, so here's the python code that was used, so anyone can repeat the process:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.P.S. I'm an idiot - all this time there was a "search in this topic" field at the top of the page! Oh well, at least for some people pastebin list will be tiny bit easier to search via grep, right? right??
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:39:43 pm by SixWaysToSunday »

SixWaysToSunday

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 20, 2016, 05:50:34 pm »

Here are some more good stories from my bookmarks:

Heart of Darkness by Cka3ka is the best Star Wars fic on ff.net, imho. Darth Wader finds Leia as a girl on Alderaan and takes her in, trying to atone for the past while still being Empire's scarecrow. The story is mainly about dark Jedi Leia and her adventures getting older. Regretfully, a long dead fic.

Russian Roulette by Vixen Tail. SI into Katekyo Hitman Reborn! universe's past, around the 1970s, decades before the main manga plot. The heroine is a Russian thief who's neck deep in mafia business. Excellent world building, even counting some small mistakes regarding USSR culture of the time - mafia is global, but hides well, knows about people with strange flame-related power and uses them when necessary, but doesn't make a big deal out of it. Most of the current 801k word count is spent on theft, contract killings, clan politics and various preparations before events of the manga will hit the world. The main heroine is kinda on the low end of the emotional spectrum, but that sometimes leads to the entertaining interactions with people around her. Best of Katekyo Hitman Reborn! fanfics that I've seen as of yet, and you don't even need to know the original - all is explained very neatly.

Déjà vu no Jutsu by Vixen Tail. SI into Naruto in Minato's (Yondaime) childhood from the same author who wrote "Russian Roulette". "What if" story trying to prevent or smooth all ugly shit that gone down in the Konoha at the time. Good read.

Itachi, Is That A Baby? by SpoonandJohn. HP / Naruto crackfic. The premise is "Harry Potter, raised by Akatsuki, comes to Hogwarts - hilarity ensues". Lots of black humor from interactions of slightly sociopathic killer Hari (he insists on being called that) and normal wizards around, funny interludes from Akatsuki's daily life (everyone bully Hidan), some chapters on how Itachi's adopting random boy made waves back in Konoha... Pretty entertaining read of 207k+ words.

Heir to the Empire by Ozzallos. Sailor Moon / Ranma. Ozzallos's take on Sailor Moon world is fascinating - according to him, Silver Millennium, a country that existed before written history and had sent its best warriors souls to be reborn as a Sailor Senshi, was a galactic-spanning techno-magic empire with AIs, battleships, assassins and internal political strife that tore it apart in the end. And demons, can't forget about them. Sadly, this vision is represented only as flashbacks across several of his crossover stories. "Heir to the Empire" is one of them, and the story about Ranma's split personality itself is ok, but I've enjoyed it mainly for these occasional windows in the time of a dying empire.

To Love a Monster by Coolio101. SI into Bleach universe's past, long before the main plot even starts. The author is trying to flesh out Aizen's childhood - and what will change if he had a sister back then. Only 33k words for now, but it's shaping up to be one of the best Bleach fanfics I've ever read.

Walk Two Lifetimes by Coolio101. again SI into Bleach universe's past, sometime before Hollowfication Incident (when Visored were exiled from Seireitei), as Hisana, Rukia's older sister. This is one of the older works of "To Love a Monster" author, 257k words, solid story with a healthy dose of drama and good writing.

The Death and Life of Erza Scarlet by Greatkingrat88. Bleach / Fairy Tail. Erza dies and is reborn as Shinigami, going through outer Rukongai poverty, Shinigami Academy, and rising through ranks only to butt heads with Aizen. Pretty interesting to see how her mother-bear personality and moral code are tested in Seireitei, which is shitty enough place even without glasses-wearing captain stirring things.

In general, I love reading fics dealing with main story past - without relying on anime/manga crappy plot and just borrowing interesting universe they often much more imaginative and enjoyable to read.

Also, specifically in Bleach Ichigo himself is kinda one-dimensional and boring main hero, and even in cywscross's Swinging Pendulum, hailed by many as a very good story, he's a total let down for me. In my experience, good Bleach fanfics usually concentrate on someone more interesting.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 03:54:00 am by SixWaysToSunday »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 20, 2016, 10:52:16 pm »

There is still only one good Bleach fanfic.

Although that one fusion with PMMM is pretty good. Also not counting the various quests.

3. Run Resize Enable

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 31, 2018, 02:33:17 am »

Might as well bump this with new recs given its been dead for over a year now and there should be quite a bit of good stuff out there. Note that I really suck at writing reccomendations, so even if my descriptions don't seem interesting they are actually all pretty damn good.

Actual standard fanfiction:
Sasuke Uchiha and the Power of Lies (Naruto, Comedy AU): A very funny naruto AU, set in a 1984esk Konaha ruled by a god-ninja with an iron fist. To be honest, I'm not doing it justice at all. Go try it. Its also properly finished at 84k words with a real conclusion at the end and everything.
Horry Patter and the Philologer's Stone: As I lack the ability to write good recommendations, I'll just steal a description from a reddit thread that talks about it better then me.
Quote from: AurelianoTampa
Gave it a shot, and I'm glad that I did. I think the feeling I'm left with is "uncomfortable but fascinating." So much is similar to Harry Potter, but so much is tweaked, and the differences keep getting to me. I think the first chapter summed it up perfectly:
He knows that something is broken. That his uncle is broken. That his aunt is broken. That even his cousin is broken. And most of all, he knows that he himself is broken.
Each of the familiar characters are just a bit off - Horry is more reclusive and depressed, Uncle Durbly is more physically abusive and terrifying, cousin Dobley and Pelilah are both kinder to Horry but clearly abused by the uncle, Alvin is older and more weary, Horbid is more aggressive (and uses magick openly), Dargo is more chill, etc.
And Chogborts is slightly off as well. Magick is off. The world is broken. And it left me wanting to read more about Not!Hogwarts and what has happened to everything. It's like Harry Potter took some pages from The Magicians and some disconcerting imagery from Alice in Wonderland.

Quests:
Forge of Destiny(Xianxia Quest): It follows the path of Ling Qi as she embarks upon the path of cultivation, going from a mere mortal into an immortal. For those unaware, Xianxia is a chinese genre, where the main character trains and goes from mortal->invincible uber being with a huge amount of cliches, bad writing and repetition along the way. Unlike 99% of xianxia works, Forge of Destiny isn't complete shit and is actually pretty damn great.
Even Further Beyond: I'll just steal the intro to the story to introduce it as Rihaku does it better then I can.
An Age of the World draws to a close. Cataclysm and anarchy ravage its peoples. Bandits and monstrosities prowl the wilderness. The great empires of yore are decaying husks of their former glory, offering little protection at the price of ceaseless exploitation. Oppressed, benighted, savaged by tempest and claw, the masses of the world cry out for a savior.

Their cry is answered. The self-styled Divinities, secret masters of the world, send forth one of their own to be born amongst the people, to live as incarnate flesh and lead them into a new Age. Every genius shall be afforded her. Destiny shall be her perennial ally, circumstance laid prostrate at her feet. She shall tear down the moldering edifices of the past and lay them as kindling for the phoenix-flame to come. From that conflagration shall the Spirit of the World be born anew, the close of an Age and the dawn of its successor.

At all costs, she must be stopped.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 27, 2018, 09:43:43 am »

Anyone got any Portal Fanfictions?

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 29, 2018, 10:28:28 pm »

Anyone got any Portal Fanfictions?

Uhhhh, not really anything SFW? I don't think i've ever read Portal fanfic that wasn't tied up in the hell vortex that is the kinkmemes

As far as recs go, the only two i'm actually keeping up with:

Thaumaturgic Awakening, a Fate/Worm crossover. Taylor meets some cool dudes that you probably haven't heard of, and the whole Worm universe gets tied into the Nasu clusterfuck. Very entertaining so far, but the update pace might kill me.

Pokemon: Origin of Species, a Pokemon fanfic in the style of those neat /r rational_fiction stories. Red wants to be a prolific researcher! Blue wants power! Leaf wants to be a journalist! They all pursue these goals while following the rough path of the OG Pokemon games. Absolutely fascinating read, and it's got an insanely realized world at 54 chapters so far.

Also, this isn't a fanfiction, but A Practical Guide to Evil is my new favorite online serial after Worm finished. Catherine Foundling wants to ease the burden of the people of the (former, now occupied) Kingdom of Callow. In doing so she gets an evil mentor in the Black Knight, and maybe she even creates her own merry band of psychopaths to carry out her orders? Updates three times a week and GOD if the comments section isn't interesting to dive into.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21