Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 108953 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #255 on: November 13, 2015, 03:23:59 am »

The movie Event Horizon. While it's not *intended* to be set in the Warhammer 40k universe it's setting is very similar in many regards and is a plausible depiction of what experiments in interstellar travel would have been like in the 40k universe prior to the invention of the gellar field

EDIT:
On a similar note, The demon cenobites from the Hellraiser films are not intended to be Slaaneshi cultists but effectively are in all but the name and appearance of their god
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:29:31 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 15, 2015, 11:36:19 pm »

Possibly the only good Bleach fic I've ever read.
Y'gotta' keep lookin'. There's a good handful that are fairly decent, iirc, including some of the crossovers. That'un's just the one I stumbled upon today, and it's pretty delicious, 17 chapters in. Not finished, but it's a 100k words in and started in march, so...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 15, 2015, 11:44:52 pm »

The movie Event Horizon. While it's not *intended* to be set in the Warhammer 40k universe it's setting is very similar in many regards and is a plausible depiction of what experiments in interstellar travel would have been like in the 40k universe prior to the invention of the gellar field
I have yet to meet a single person who knows of both Event Horizon and 40k and did not consider the former a part of the latter essentially on par with canon. Which is interesting, given that the Emperor is said to have eventually collected parts of the first warp engine.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 16, 2015, 12:00:12 am »

Possibly the only good Bleach fic I've ever read.
Y'gotta' keep lookin'. There's a good handful that are fairly decent, iirc, including some of the crossovers. That'un's just the one I stumbled upon today, and it's pretty delicious, 17 chapters in. Not finished, but it's a 100k words in and started in march, so...
Thanks for that, I'll give it a shot.

But yeah. Like, I've found maybe two others that were decent (and both Bleachquest and Hollowquest on /tg/ are highly amusing), but Bleach is almost frighteningly devoid of good writers when you consider the size of the fanbase.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 16, 2015, 01:43:40 am »

I have yet to meet a single person who knows of both Event Horizon and 40k and did not consider the former a part of the latter essentially on par with canon. Which is interesting, given that the Emperor is said to have eventually collected parts of the first warp engine.

What about the Hellraiser series and Slannesh?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 16, 2015, 01:48:27 am »

Not really. It fits ("Angels to some, demons to others"), but Event Horizon's sci-fi setting brings a much more exploitable connection to the table.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 16, 2015, 01:54:07 am »

Then I assume even fewer have drawn a connection between the original version of The Thing From Another World and Orks
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 17, 2015, 10:29:21 pm »

... can't recall if it's been mentioned yet, but if it has, I'm mentioning it again. More original fiction than fanfiction, but I'm pretty sure Mother of Learning and Worm are both mentioned somewhere in here, so t'blazes with it.

The Gods are Bastards. It's a high fantasy western web serial (though more the former than the latter), with a hefty dollop of political intrigue and a whole mess of other stuff. I'm currently three (out of nine, thus far -- it's still on-going) volumes in, and it's fairly intensely pleasing to my sensibilities, up to this point. Solid character interaction, pretty delightful action bits, damn nice background setting, just quite well done all around. Teeters towards NSFW at points, but I've yet to run into anything actually explicit, and it's not a particularly substantial focus, so, at least up to the third volume, I'd pretty unabashedly recommend it to pretty much whoever. Good stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 17, 2015, 10:42:03 pm »

Oh hey, cool.

But yeah, web serials fall into the same grouping as far as I'm concerned: shit ya won't read about in published literature reviews.

3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 17, 2015, 11:07:32 pm »

FD, that Dread Rising thing was awesome. Thanks for linking.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 17, 2015, 11:57:47 pm »

Glad to help! I've been trying to hit the stuff that you aren't likely to see recced in the usual places, and that story is one of the ones where Shade is managing to hold together a coherent plot instead of gleefully shoveling relentless angst and terrible things happening to the cast.

3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 18, 2015, 12:18:23 am »

Yeah, even if I'm pretty sure I've missed some things by virtue of reading until sleep deprivation sets in - explains some other things I've experienced today to be honest - I'm on chapter 56 currently and it's still holding strong.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 02, 2015, 03:18:22 am »

So, I've read quite a few of the fanfiction recommendations, and the most notable thing for most of them is that despite getting quite far, the vast majority of them ended up dropped by their authors (out of the ones I have read, only Time Braid and Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality were properly finished).

I assume that at least some of the fics already posted were properly finished, I just have no clue which ones. So, does anybody have some good ones that were actually finished?

E: I've also read Worm and Twig, so that isn't necessary to add.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2015, 11:25:54 am »

There's the generally Warhammer 40k themed comics of Mister Culexis:

http://mr-culexus.deviantart.com/gallery/
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 02, 2015, 07:21:45 pm »

So, I've read quite a few of the fanfiction recommendations, and the most notable thing for most of them is that despite getting quite far, the vast majority of them ended up dropped by their authors (out of the ones I have read, only Time Braid and Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality were properly finished).

I assume that at least some of the fics already posted were properly finished, I just have no clue which ones. So, does anybody have some good ones that were actually finished?

E: I've also read Worm and Twig, so that isn't necessary to add.
For Worm, at least, there's Cenotaph and its sequel. They were mentioned previously in thread, but you hadn't mentioned them as ones you read.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21