Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 108999 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2014, 05:36:13 pm »

Huh. I'd been avoiding that because the premise sounded entirely too similar to a vast array of badfics, but you pushed me into reading it. I didn't even make it past the first chapter before cracking up, so thanks.

I think that this was the line that did me in:
I was five years old when Petunia Dursley realized that she would never be rid of me. I know this because she began sobbing while insisting that she would never be rid of me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2014, 07:59:01 pm »

So, I just finished three Worm fics, Heredity, Atonement, and Silencio.
In Silencio, instead of triggering with the ability to control bees, Taylor becomes a cross dressing lesbian mime, and the crack shipping requires a chart to understand.  This is probably the only fic where I wholly support the shipping, because this story can't have enough shipping. 
In Heredity, Taylor and Amy team up. Both take the full munchkin applications of their powers to the max.  Has recently come to a climax when Taylor, in a matter of moments, managed to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In Atonement, Taylor dies in the locker, and Madison, one of her bullies, triggers over the realization of waht she has done.  Now dedicated to saving people, she is able to both tell if someone nearby is in danger and able to attach any two objects. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2014, 10:27:16 pm »

The 7th Horcrux

One of the most utterly hilarious fics I've ever read. Basically when Voldemort accidentally imbeds his horcux in Harry, babby Harry accidentally gets imprinted with a set of Voldemorts memories, enough that he pretty much believes himself to be him. But this isn't canon Voldenmort, and hilarity ensues. Wait wait! Don't go yet. It's good I promise! It's kindof a parody of the Sociopathic Harry Who Knows Too Much cliche, as it leads him to completely misunderstand a lot of stuff.
The utter best part is where he becomes convinced that Lockhart is the greatest hero of all time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2014, 10:33:45 pm »

Huh. I'd been avoiding that because the premise sounded entirely too similar to a vast array of badfics, but you pushed me into reading it. I didn't even make it past the first chapter before cracking up, so thanks.

I think that this was the line that did me in:
I was five years old when Petunia Dursley realized that she would never be rid of me. I know this because she began sobbing while insisting that she would never be rid of me.

Yeah a lot of BAD fanfics are "good guy turns bad' but that does sound interesting... hmmm...

Also if you havn't already: My Immortal The Webseries on Youtube

Its a Harry Potter Fanfic about Mary Sues and features the GREATEST Hermione Granger ever written. (no really!)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:45:01 am by Neonivek »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2014, 11:00:30 pm »

I resume my journey into MLP fanfiction with three goodies:

Aurora, wherein Celestia leaves Luna and Twilight in charge of Equestria under the assumption that bad shit will not happen. Bad shit happens, and the characters react beautifully. Two turn-offs are shipping and a really stupid ending, but the fic itself is really nice.

Body and Mind, wherein a loyal changeling warrior is captured during the siege of Canterlot, and he learns about cultural misconceptions and theater. Really good characterization, and fleshes out the Changleing Hive in some really cool ways.

And Our First Steps, or Kerbal Pony Program. Really, really close attention to detail, and very interesting interactions between OCs and the mane cast makes for an interesting - and scientific! - fanfiction.

While i'm at it, some fanfiction I've found in the past:

Night's Favoured Child, where the immortal empress Nightmare Moon finds a young, incredible talented unicorn orphan filly named Twilight Sparkle, and take the filly under her wing. Included are: a very interesting political system, several hints at an insurgency, character development for the Nightmare Moon character, rational!twilight, and adventures out the wazoo. In progress, I believe.

Turnabout Storm (more of a fanwork, I suppose) where the legendary lawyer Phoenix Wright is summoned by none other than Twilight Sparkle, and must contend with a seemingly unwinnable case concerning a murder and a certain rainbow mare...

Shephard's R&R, where Commander Shephard, shortly after defeating the reapers, must negotiate with a newly discovered race of multicoloured ponies. As always, characterization is on point, and the plot is really interesting to follow.

And to finish the MLP roundup, two HIE fanfics with diametrically opposed viewpoints: Arrow 18 Mission Logs, about a lone astronaut handling first contact with Equestria, and Article 2, about a lone survivor of a terrible spaceship crash who has to contend with a world where he is completely alone.

Both stories have the same basic premise (Astronaut humans discovering Equestria), but while one is rather lighthearted (Arrow 18 features first contact through apples and calculus with twilight sparkle), the other is a very, very black comedy (Article 2 features first contact through hostage taking and attempted suicide with twilight sparkle). They both keep a consistent tone, and they are both, again, very entertaining.

next post i'll run through the gamut of really good HIE fics and rational fics out there, but tonight I sleep

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2014, 11:32:11 pm »

Oh yeah, forgot about this:

One Up. Exalted/SI/Touhou (technically) It's another Mizuki SI. The premise is that

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2015, 06:23:07 pm »

New Year, new stories.

The Games We Play (RWBY/The Gamer courtesy of Ryuugi over on SB) is still going strong, with an update every night since July 27th of last year. Seriously, it doesn't matter if you don't know or care about either of the core stories, go read it.

As for more recent things:

Fayth: Worm/FFX. It's brand new and, for once, a fusion rather than a "What if Taylor got Power X" fic. Only four story posts, but it's been of decent quality. More importantly, the author appears to actually be spending time fleshing out the ways this AU has diverged. If you need a one-line sell: No Endbringers, Earth Bet got Sin instead.

Memories of Luthor: Worm/DC-verse. Something of an homage to Memories of Iron, it ended up being infinitely better. Taylor with Lex Luthor's memories and a decent chunk of his genius. If you need a one-line sell: Lex Luthor if he was a less megolamaniacal she in a world where Superman is an imminent threat to human civilization.

Green Sun Hokage: Exalted/Naruto. It's a fusion, thankfully. This isn't too much of a spoiler, given how quickly it's figured out in the thread: the thing Naruto has sealed in his gut is the Ebon Dragon. Or at least one of its sub-souls. The first real pact they strike ends with Naruto killing himself. He gets better. High quality, a great deal of the focus is on the characterizations and the back-and-forth between the two. There's also a decent amount of attention paid to the differences caused by the fusion. Quite funny at times.

Reconciliation: Worm AU. Danny and young Taylor were in Japan during the Levi attack; the former dies. The story proper begins early on during Lung's move into Brockton Bay, with an extra subordinate in tow, no guesses who they are or who their shard pinged when they triggered. One guess which mom is still alive and teaching at Winslow, who has become something of a surrogate mother for a certain vigilante. Has a well-characterized cast (including a Lee who isn't broken) and all the feels.

Outsider: Worm/Tomb Raider 2013. There've been a couple of these. This is the newest, and looks like it might end up being the best of the lot.

That Is Not A Dog: DC SI. Also somewhat of a cross with a certain mythology. Specifically, it's a Teen Titans story. The SI wakes up as a wolf, tied by his hind legs with an unbreakable ribbon in a clearing, the shattered remains of a sword nearby. Starfire's the one who manages to break the ribbon, because she's the only one who genuinely cares about helping him on a meaningful level.

One guess. Also brand new, but hot damn that premise.

Also, a couple old flames were rekindled.

Everything and Nothing: ZnT OC. It's an old fic started back in 2011, sorta co-written by The Ero-Sennin (one of the best crackmasters there is) and AndrewJTalon with a summons from an original world. Starts slow, less cracky than usual, but it's still high quality and the writers are the sort who regularly mock the excesses of fanfiction, so it's stayed away from the usual pitfalls. Just updated again after a long break.

Hot diggity damn, AdmiralTigerclaw updated Sleeping With the Girls and promises more content to come... eventually.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2015, 06:45:01 pm »

*grumbles vaguely about none of it being things frumple didn't already know about*

Guess I should mention the handful of non-SB/V fics I've read so far this year.

A Drop of Poison -- pretty good chance the thread's actually mentioned this one before, but it's started getting updates again. Naruto fic, basic conceit being N spends another year at the academy. I likes it because cloooonnneeessss.

Mother of Learning. Original fiction groundhog day in a fantasy setting, in which the main character gets accidentally'd into someone else's time loop. Fairly prominently features giant spiders.

FFTimeTravel. Fairly short (~34k words) little Ramza-gets-reset sorta' thing. Nice characterization and whatnot, I think.

Amorously Minded. Maybe mildly NSFW, but far from anything explicit -- rated T and everything, for what little that matters. Marvel/Capcom Xover, in which Stark manages to knock up Morrigan. Includes things such as Spiderman babysitting a baby half-succubus. It amuses me. Also relatively short, being only about twice as long as FFTT.

Gleam of Silver. Naruto. It's... a thing. Maybe not the best thing in the world, but it was alright-ish.

E: I found a thing! Shadows Under the Oak Tree, a Fire Emblem fic with, from what I recall, pretty incredibly well done characterization and whatnot. A very low-key, down to earth piece of fiction. Last time I read any was... probably back in '08 or something crazy like that, but it apparently hit completion in '12, so hey. Have a read, people. It's pretty fuzzy.

===

Then there were a bunch of SV/B stuff, of which most I'm just not going to bother mentioning -- anyone can go over there and browse the first five or six pages of their creative fiction sections.

As recent-updates are concerned, though, this probably deserves a mention. ZnT/FoZ, in which instead of summoning something Louise spends some time as a post-singularity infomorph. And then comes back to Halkegania.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:28:55 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2015, 09:57:20 pm »

That Starry Eyes thing was good.
I'm not really one for fanfiction, but Worm was good and I like H.P Lovecraft, so I gave it a shot. I wonder if it's abandoned, though? Las update was December last year.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2015, 09:58:26 pm »

I'm not really one for fanfiction, but Worm was good and I like H.P Lovecraft, so I gave it a shot. I wonder if it's abandoned, though? Las update was December last year.
That's a little over a month without an update at worst, that's nothing for fanfics.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2015, 09:59:37 pm »

Dear god, PTW
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 15, 2015, 10:14:16 pm »

Might be a while until an update, but it is still mostly alive.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2015, 12:27:37 am »

More to read! *squee*

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2015, 12:55:44 am »

Also, new fanfic that is pretty good, Nanosuits and Soul Magic, by the same guy who did a Worm/Prototype crossover.  Basic plot- At the end of Crysis 2, instead of getting taken over by Prophet, Alcatrez gets portaled to Remnat after season 2 of RWBY.    Shenanigans then occur.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2015, 03:44:38 am »

Green Sun Hokage: Exalted/Naruto. It's a fusion, thankfully. This isn't too much of a spoiler, given how quickly it's figured out in the thread: the thing Naruto has sealed in his gut is the Ebon Dragon. Or at least one of its sub-souls. The first real pact they strike ends with Naruto killing himself. He gets better. High quality, a great deal of the focus is on the characterizations and the back-and-forth between the two. There's also a decent amount of attention paid to the differences caused by the fusion. Quite funny at times.
THIS IS THE GREATEST FIC OF ALL TIME.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21