Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 47

Author Topic: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story  (Read 87273 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story
« Reply #375 on: January 07, 2014, 07:41:41 pm »

So adding Keen to a sword with an existing +n enhancement would only cost the same as the first level of +1 enhancement? Because I swear someone said the exact opposite earlier in this thread. :s

Total bonus.  Keen is a +1 enchantment.  On a +5 sword, it would total a +6 bonus.  Its base cost (normal rules) would be 36,000.

You could look at it like that. Adding Keen to an item with an existing +n enhancement would increase the total cost of the item to that of a +(n+1) enhancement. Although, the concept of an existing weapon is rather confusing, since enchanted items cannot be upgraded. If you want your +2 sword to be a +3 sword, you have to sell the +2 one and buy a +3.

You can upgrade an item.  You must pay the difference between the new item and the item you brought to upgrade.  Upgrading a +5 item with a +1 enchantment would be 36,000 - 25,000 = 11,000 gold.
You can? I never heard of rules for that.

I just searched up "Upgrading Magic Armor" on Google and got an official Wizards excerpt supporting my observation.  I've heard of the rule before, but have no idea where I found it originally.
That is a very messed up URL.

Try it again.

I just woke up and not used to formatting on this website yet =p
Nope, that one's still wrong :P.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 07, 2014, 07:42:57 pm »

Is it possible to enchant normal, non-armor clothing? Or do you need wondrous items for that?
Never got an answer to this :x
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 07, 2014, 07:53:56 pm »

On an unrelated note, enemies near me have -3 to saving rolls, so spells that require saving throws will work pretty well against my enemies.

---

Descan, plain full plate is +8.
A tower shield is +4.
If they're enhanced you should add a +1 and +2.

Is it possible to enchant normal, non-armor clothing? Or do you need wondrous items for that?
Never got an answer to this :x

As far as I know, no, you can't.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 07, 2014, 08:01:18 pm »

Bah, so much for enchanted martial arts outfits.

Well, my stun attacks require that enemies take Fortitude checks, would that count?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 07, 2014, 08:08:02 pm »

Okay so the stats are alright, but what about cost? And mithril weapons, is there any point?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 07, 2014, 08:09:24 pm »

So adding Keen to a sword with an existing +n enhancement would only cost the same as the first level of +1 enhancement? Because I swear someone said the exact opposite earlier in this thread. :s

Total bonus.  Keen is a +1 enchantment.  On a +5 sword, it would total a +6 bonus.  Its base cost (normal rules) would be 36,000.

You could look at it like that. Adding Keen to an item with an existing +n enhancement would increase the total cost of the item to that of a +(n+1) enhancement. Although, the concept of an existing weapon is rather confusing, since enchanted items cannot be upgraded. If you want your +2 sword to be a +3 sword, you have to sell the +2 one and buy a +3.

You can upgrade an item.  You must pay the difference between the new item and the item you brought to upgrade.  Upgrading a +5 item with a +1 enchantment would be 36,000 - 25,000 = 11,000 gold.
You can? I never heard of rules for that.

I just searched up "Upgrading Magic Armor" on Google and got an official Wizards excerpt supporting my observation.  I've heard of the rule before, but have no idea where I found it originally.
That is a very messed up URL.

Try it again.

I just woke up and not used to formatting on this website yet =p
Nope, that one's still wrong :P.
I think I've finally got it.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 07, 2014, 08:21:21 pm »

Bah, so much for enchanted martial arts outfits.

Well, my stun attacks require that enemies take Fortitude checks, would that count?
It would, yes. And as long as you're within 40ft you get +1 to attack, to damage, to your saves and skills as well. Enemies have a -1 malus to the same.
10 feet or less away they get a further -2 from my Auro of Despair.

Basically every day I'm going to cast Persistant Prayer, and thus buff myself and the rest of the party.

Okay so the stats are alright, but what about cost? And mithril weapons, is there any point?

Well, they're lighter. But no, not really. I have a feeling they don't rust, but that's rare.

A question for Hans: If i cast unholy sword would it apply to both weapons or just one?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 07, 2014, 08:40:07 pm »

They're 1/2 weight, which can be useful for those of us with poor STR scores. Apart from that, there's also that the peculiarities of our starting condition make them cost 1/6th the normal price of mithral weapons, even though they're normally even more expensive than adamantine. If I'm reading correctly, the only advantage adamantine has over mithral for weapons is that it is easier to sunder low hardness items, which isn't really that great. The extra hardness and weapon HP don't really matter because one of Han's house rules for this is that "magic items can't be destroyed by normal means", which presumably means that our magic weapons can't be sundered, so the advantages there are irrelevant.

Basically going with mithral weapons and armor = a bunch more gp to spend on other things, more carrying capacity for other things and loot.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 07, 2014, 08:43:43 pm »

I meant versus a masterwork or basic sword or weapon, is there any point in spending the GP and upgrading?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 07, 2014, 08:47:29 pm »

Mithral weapons (like adamantine et. al.) are automatically masterwork, which means that you still get the +1 bonus to your attack roll. In your case, a masterwork steel longsword would cost 315gp, while a mithral longsword (which, remember, is also masterwork) would cost 2015gp/6 = 335gp & 8sp. There's literally no reason to take steel weapons rather than mithral, because with the combination of the 1/3 cost for weapons and armor from Taricus' crafting skills and the 1/2 price from the house rules for our starting buy on mithral gear the price is virtually identical.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:49:36 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 07, 2014, 08:55:23 pm »

There's literally no reason to take steel weapons rather than mithral
"Look, a small pack of kobolds loaded out with mithral equipment! One easy battle and we're set for life!" x98

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 07, 2014, 09:09:43 pm »

There's literally no reason to take steel weapons rather than mithral
"Look, a small pack of kobolds loaded out with mithral equipment! One easy battle and we're set for life!" x98
You're likely going to be questing around people who are overly used to Mithral equipment.  By the time you're questing elsewhere, the only people who could threaten you are very unlikely to care about how mithral your equipment is.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 07, 2014, 09:27:11 pm »

Could I buy a cursed amulet of Alignment Change for 1200 gp or so?

Yes.

A question for Hans: If i cast unholy sword would it apply to both weapons or just one?

You only have level one paladin spells. The only spell I could find that corresponds to Unholy Weapon was Holy Weapon, which is a 5th level Paladin spell. Which you definitely would not have.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 07, 2014, 09:30:21 pm »

Unholy Sword is a homebrew spell.

Use dndtools, not dandwiki. If it doesn't say SRD: in the url for dandwiki, it's homebrew.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 07, 2014, 10:11:30 pm »

I really love these augment crystals. Flat cost of 3kgp to add 1d6 energy damage of the type of your choice (from the core four) to a weapon.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 47