Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 47

Author Topic: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story  (Read 87329 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story
« Reply #285 on: January 06, 2014, 09:20:09 pm »

@ Remuthra: Kobolds are already hella weak. I decided to not fight it by dumping a ton of points into Str and focus on being able to hit, dodge, and use special abilities consistently instead.
That's because you're a purist. With the right racial templates, any race can be insanely strong.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 06, 2014, 09:22:45 pm »

Any comments on my guy?

Skitter the Necromancer
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 06, 2014, 09:24:25 pm »

Hm. Would an augmentic crystal of mind cloaking attached to my armor give a flat +1 to will saves, or are there things it wouldn't effect?

Link?
It's in the Magic Items Compendium, page 25.

Oh, and will you allow the healing salve from Tome and Blood? 50gp per dose, and it heals 1d8 HP per dose with a full action.

+1 to will saves.
Yes.
Hm. Would an augmentic crystal of mind cloaking attached to my armor give a flat +1 to will saves, or are there things it wouldn't effect?

Link?
It's in the Magic Items Compendium, page 25.

Oh, and will you allow the healing salve from Tome and Blood? 50gp per dose, and it heals 1d8 HP per dose with a full action.

Followup to this: If you allow augment crystals, would the shield/armor ones have the same halved cost? And would your own halved mithral armor/weapon cost combine with this:
No problems. And if anyone needs weapons or armour, you can (Assumably) pay a third of that since I do have the necessary craft skills. Unless you want a bow. You're paying standard for those.

Oh, and since weapon proficiency allows us to power attack with those types of weapon, does that also mean that we can take Cleave, etc. that require Power Attack as a prereq. and use them with weapons we're proficient in, even without taking Power Attack?

Armor/shield crystals are full cost. :P

Taricus can indeed make Mithral armor for one-sixth the cost. That's a really good deal. If you all don't have mithral armor, you should get it. :P

And you get Power Attack as long as: "  If you have at least 1 BAB, you can Power Attack with any weapon you are proficient in and are treated as if you have the Power Attack feat without actually taking it. Yes, this does include ranged weapons. Call it a Headshot." Therefore you meet the prerequisite of 'Having Power attack'. No more wasted feats.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 06, 2014, 09:24:51 pm »

Excuse me, I'm going to be a walking encyclopedia for a sec.

Looking at it, wouldn't the damage scale down too far to be useful with a small-sized maul? The default 1d10 is for a large-sized one, so if I'm reading the size change table correctly a small-sized one would do 1d6, as opposed to 1d10 for a small-sized greatsword. So if I went with a kobold-sized maul, I'd have a weapon with base stats 1d6 damage and crit x3, as opposed to 1d10 and 19-20 x2 for a greatsword or 1d10 and 19-20 x4 for a spiked hammer (if Hans allows it). If it's shot down I'm just going to go back to greatsword.

e: Yep, greatsword it is.
Back then, "Large" meant "Two-handed for a Medium creature". A Medium maul (2-handed weapon) in 3.5 would deal 1d10, but a small maul would deal 1d8--the same as a small greatsword.
Are you certain? I'm looking at the table in the PHB right now and it lists the damage for a Small-sized greatsword as 1d10 (and 2d6 for a Medium-sized one).
Pretty certain...

But the A&EG section on larger and smaller weapons says that those values only apply "If you design a version of a particular weapon that is larger or smaller than the standard presented in the PHB..." Since the PHB clearly lists the damage values for all of the standard weapons in both Medium and Small sizes, we must clearly assume that the PHB values are the correct ones, as they're listed in the source rather than homebrewed weapons which would fall under the size and damage rules.  :P
I'm pretty sure we should be using rules from a book intended for 3.5, not 3.0...

Any comments on my guy?

Skitter the Necromancer
Skitter?
Needs Summon Swarm.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 06, 2014, 09:27:42 pm »

@ Remuthra: Kobolds are already hella weak. I decided to not fight it by dumping a ton of points into Str and focus on being able to hit, dodge, and use special abilities consistently instead.
That's because you're a purist. With the right racial templates, any race can be insanely strong.
Eh, I'm curious as to what these mysterious BOONS are that Hans mentioned. I'll give up on crazy racial templates and just focus on doing what I do.

For instance, I can use an unarmed attack to stun enemies six times a day. Stunned enemies drop everything they're holding, can't do anything, and lose a lot of AC (Dex mod, as well as an additional 2 AC right off the top).

Or with the sai, I should be able to semi-reliably disarm enemies. Not gonna worry about grappling, because we kobolds are small and suffer pretty hefty penalties to that.

In other words, I'm not shooting for damage. I'm working on disabling enemies and making things easier for the rest of the party.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 06, 2014, 09:29:35 pm »

The mysterious BOONS will remain mysterious until everyone is done making their characters. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 06, 2014, 09:31:28 pm »

I am perfectly okay with that!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 06, 2014, 09:33:32 pm »

Oh, Sirus, if you have the money, but a Monk's Belt.

Monk's Belt

Because seriously. It makes you a reasonably effective combatant. (for a monk)
He's fucking with us.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 06, 2014, 09:35:15 pm »

Leadership? Can the Ultimate Warrior employ his Warrior Acolytes?

No. No Leadership. You are also limited to four summoned creatures at any given time, and Dread Necromancers cannot have above six undead creatures serving them. I have enough to keep track of, what with having seven players, four of them with mounts, one with a bevy of undead at his beck and call. :P

Wait what?

GODDAMNIT.

How the gnome am I supposed to have an undead army now, later in the game? UGGGGH. I would be keeping track of them, though, Hanslanda! I really would! And we could have them fire as one creature or something!

I only wanted like nine to start with anyway...a Zombie Half-Dragon Minotaur(my mount, by the way), 2 Skeleton Draconic Bugbears or the like, and 6 Wood Elf or Catfolk Skeletons. I was saving my rebuke/command hit dice for intelligent undead. :(
Plus, at a certain point, I will be unable to use my full number of Hit Dice of control. What if I only had maybe 10 or so with me at a time, or something, when we're adventuring and such? At least for now.

Any comments on my guy?

Skitter the Necromancer
We will either be best friends or immortal enemies.

:/ I might have to rethink my character, if I can't get a sizable undead army (and I strongly doubt you want me to end up with 4 Gray Render Zombies at level 8 ).

On other note, there are zombie/skeleton templates in the Libris Mortis(I can get a link for you if I like; I need to look at it myself, for obvious reasons), that I'd like to be able to apply. However, from what I'm aware, there are not specific rules for doing so, but they have to be able to created(and if they can't be made by a Dread Necromancer, who the hell can make them?). Rules on them?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 06, 2014, 09:35:55 pm »

I'm waiting on Han's judgments on all those things so I can decide whether I just settle with making my Will save slightly less terrible, or if I'm now sitting on another pile of cash to spend on more magical bullshit. I swear, I spent a good 3-4 hours today trawling the MIC and various other books for all of the bullshit I could find, and it was wonderful. Especially that Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker; 500gp for a 1/day swift action that lets you move half your speed without provoking AOOs? xD

@Hans: MBurnsExcellent.jpg.gif.png

Especially that Mithral bit. Totally taking that for my greatsword now, since it lets me also take a +2 cloak of resistance instead of +1 while still leaving 1kgp left over for misc. stuff.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:38:14 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 06, 2014, 09:37:46 pm »

Leadership? Can the Ultimate Warrior employ his Warrior Acolytes?

No. No Leadership. You are also limited to four summoned creatures at any given time, and Dread Necromancers cannot have above six undead creatures serving them. I have enough to keep track of, what with having seven players, four of them with mounts, one with a bevy of undead at his beck and call. :P

Wait what?

GODDAMNIT.

How the gnome am I supposed to have an undead army now, later in the game? UGGGGH. I would be keeping track of them, though, Hanslanda! I really would! And we could have them fire as one creature or something!

I only wanted like nine to start with anyway...a Zombie Half-Dragon Minotaur(my mount, by the way), 2 Skeleton Draconic Bugbears or the like, and 6 Wood Elf or Catfolk Skeletons. I was saving my rebuke/command hit dice for intelligent undead. :(
Plus, at a certain point, I will be unable to use my full number of Hit Dice of control. What if I only had maybe 10 or so with me at a time, or something, when we're adventuring and such? At least for now.

Any comments on my guy?

Skitter the Necromancer
We will either be best friends or immortal enemies.

:/ I might have to rethink my character, if I can't get a sizable undead army (and I strongly doubt you want me to end up with 4 Gray Render Zombies at level 8 ).

On other note, there are zombie/skeleton templates in the Libris Mortis(I can get a link for you if I like; I need to look at it myself, for obvious reasons), that I'd like to be able to apply. However, from what I'm aware, there are not specific rules for doing so, but they have to be able to created(and if they can't be made by a Dread Necromancer, who the hell can make them?). Rules on them?

Can you send me a pdf of Libris Mortis? Also, I might consider letting you get under the radar on this one. Tell me what pages the templates you like are on, if you do send me that.
He's fucking with us.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 06, 2014, 09:38:21 pm »

You could invest in a ring/cloak of resistance. Boosts all your saves by a variable amount.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 06, 2014, 09:38:26 pm »

But the A&EG section on larger and smaller weapons says that those values only apply "If you design a version of a particular weapon that is larger or smaller than the standard presented in the PHB..." Since the PHB clearly lists the damage values for all of the standard weapons in both Medium and Small sizes, we must clearly assume that the PHB values are the correct ones, as they're listed in the source rather than homebrewed weapons which would fall under the size and damage rules.  :P
I'm pretty sure we should be using rules from a book intended for 3.5, not 3.0...
I might admit to agreeing with you if it wasn't my damage on the knife's edge, so to speak (that was terrible), I'd prefer a DM ruling on this one.  ;D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 06, 2014, 09:38:56 pm »

Oh, Sirus, if you have the money, but a Monk's Belt.

Monk's Belt

Because seriously. It makes you a reasonably effective combatant. (for a monk)
Hoooo snap. That looks pretty damn good. It'll take almost half my gold, but it'll be oh-so worth it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 06, 2014, 09:40:19 pm »

Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 47