Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47

Author Topic: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story  (Read 87322 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story
« Reply #270 on: January 06, 2014, 08:42:11 pm »

Taricus' character's portrait done. I'm not sure I'll be up to drawing anything tomorrow, living in Florida and not having a heater and tonight's freezing temperatures and all. I tend not to try to draw when I can't feel my fingers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 06, 2014, 08:42:32 pm »

Can someone link me to this magical items compendium, please? I've got gp burning a hole in my pockets and I want some fancy gear :D

Also, was pleasantly surprised to discover that despite taking no ranks and have a Str mod of 0, I somehow have +10 to jump checks. That extra speed Monks get really helps a ton.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 06, 2014, 08:43:43 pm »

Taricus' character's portrait done. I'm not sure I'll be up to drawing anything tomorrow, living in Florida and not having a heater and tonight's freezing temperatures and all. I tend not to try to draw when I can't feel my fingers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Have you considered buying a keyboard warmer?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 06, 2014, 08:46:06 pm »

Hm. Would an augmentic crystal of mind cloaking attached to my armor give a flat +1 to will saves, or are there things it wouldn't effect?

Link?
It's in the Magic Items Compendium, page 25.

Oh, and will you allow the healing salve from Tome and Blood? 50gp per dose, and it heals 1d8 HP per dose with a full action.

Followup to this: If you allow augment crystals, would the shield/armor ones have the same halved cost? And would your own halved mithral armor/weapon cost combine with this:
No problems. And if anyone needs weapons or armour, you can (Assumably) pay a third of that since I do have the necessary craft skills. Unless you want a bow. You're paying standard for those.

Oh, and since weapon proficiency allows us to power attack with those types of weapon, does that also mean that we can take Cleave, etc. that require Power Attack as a prereq. and use them with weapons we're proficient in, even without taking Power Attack?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:48:24 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 06, 2014, 08:47:40 pm »

Never heard of it. I'd just get gloves, but it's only cold enough to warrant them a few days a year.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 06, 2014, 08:55:40 pm »

Excuse me, I'm going to be a walking encyclopedia for a sec.

Looking at it, wouldn't the damage scale down too far to be useful with a small-sized maul? The default 1d10 is for a large-sized one, so if I'm reading the size change table correctly a small-sized one would do 1d6, as opposed to 1d10 for a small-sized greatsword. So if I went with a kobold-sized maul, I'd have a weapon with base stats 1d6 damage and crit x3, as opposed to 1d10 and 19-20 x2 for a greatsword or 1d10 and 19-20 x4 for a spiked hammer (if Hans allows it). If it's shot down I'm just going to go back to greatsword.

e: Yep, greatsword it is.
Back then, "Large" meant "Two-handed for a Medium creature". A Medium maul (2-handed weapon) in 3.5 would deal 1d10, but a small maul would deal 1d8--the same as a small greatsword.

I have been under the impression that they stack together. If you get two +1 Enchantments, it's a +2 weapon with the additional effects.
Correct.

Edit: Would it be possible to go over the money limit by 31.9gp or so? I want two permanent flame lanterns hanging on rods attached to the back of my character for the fluff. His name is Kindar Flamebringer, after all.
One continual flame lantern would be cheaper. Also, it isn't real fire, just light.

Never heard of it.
That is because they don't exist.

Freezing? Bah. Around here, we'd be ecstatic if it wasn't freezing! (Or at least if it snowed less.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 06, 2014, 08:57:26 pm »

Never heard of it. I'd just get gloves, but it's only cold enough to warrant them a few days a year.
Step One: Buy a heating pad.
Step Two: Drape it over your mouse.
Step Three: Keep your drawing hand warm.
Step Four: Remove the heating pad only to find it has fused to your melty platic peripheral.
Step Five: Profit?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:52 pm »

Woah, that looks good Nirur. The sword could use a bit of work to straighten out, but it does look good as a whole :D
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 06, 2014, 09:02:28 pm »

Rough draft of Ironclaw the Kobold Monk. Still needs essentials such as HP rolled, and I'm still working on fluff and what to spend that delicious money on.

I think I heard that we'll primarily be fighting humans, right? Or at least, humans are the most common race outside of the Dragon-Mount.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 06, 2014, 09:04:13 pm »

Enchant the gauntlets. You're going to need it.

EDIT: A nice price guide for said enchantments. As I said, you're going to need them: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Magic_Weapons
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:05:56 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 06, 2014, 09:05:32 pm »

Oh my, yes. Best part is the gauntlets should transfer their abilities to all unarmed strikes, which for monks includes virtually every body part.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 06, 2014, 09:08:57 pm »

Looking at it, wouldn't the damage scale down too far to be useful with a small-sized maul? The default 1d10 is for a large-sized one, so if I'm reading the size change table correctly a small-sized one would do 1d6, as opposed to 1d10 for a small-sized greatsword. So if I went with a kobold-sized maul, I'd have a weapon with base stats 1d6 damage and crit x3, as opposed to 1d10 and 19-20 x2 for a greatsword or 1d10 and 19-20 x4 for a spiked hammer (if Hans allows it). If it's shot down I'm just going to go back to greatsword.

Back then, "Large" meant "Two-handed for a Medium creature". A Medium maul (2-handed weapon) in 3.5 would deal 1d10, but a small maul would deal 1d8--the same as a small greatsword.

Are you certain? I'm looking at the table in the PHB right now and it lists the damage for a Small-sized greatsword as 1d10 (and 2d6 for a Medium-sized one).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:11:28 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 06, 2014, 09:12:14 pm »

Are you certain? I'm looking at the table in the PHB right now and it lists the damage for a Small-sized greatsword as 1d10 (and 2d6 for a Medium-sized one).

e: Oh, and as far as utility items go, consider a Survival Pouch or Travel cloak.
Is supposed to be 1d8, according to the universal rules on the subject :P.

Sirus, that is one weak Monk. I am most disappointed.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 06, 2014, 09:16:58 pm »

e: Oh, and as far as utility items go, consider a Survival Pouch or Travel cloak.
Is supposed to be 1d8, according to the universal rules on the subject :P.

Sirus, that is one weak Monk. I am most disappointed.

But the A&EG section on larger and smaller weapons says that those values only apply "If you design a version of a particular weapon that is larger or smaller than the standard presented in the PHB..." Since the PHB clearly lists the damage values for all of the standard weapons in both Medium and Small sizes, we must clearly assume that the PHB values are the correct ones, as they're listed in the source rather than homebrewed weapons which would fall under the size and damage rules.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 06, 2014, 09:17:42 pm »

@ Remuthra: Kobolds are already hella weak. I decided to not fight it by dumping a ton of points into Str and focus on being able to hit, dodge, and use special abilities consistently instead.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47