Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: Slayer's Saloon: Mission One: Yanking the White Worm  (Read 23395 times)

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slayer's Saloon: Monster Hunting in the Old West
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2014, 09:54:46 pm »

"I'm assuming you're replying to my comment on heart and soul not being the greatest strengths of men? If that was the case, you'd expect some people to use heir strength to get attention...and that they would triumph over those using the lesser strengths to succeed. The opposite is the case. Those using heart, soul, and so forth get trampled and conquered by those using brute force. Is this right? No. Is it? Yes."

"You remind me of far to many people, look at me and Julia. I could lift her with one arm and snap her just as easily. Does that mean that I should?
People justify the pain they cause every day that way, thinking that the fact that they have strength or power gives them the right to use it, gives them the wisdom to control it.
Who is stronger? The man who uses his strength to rule those who are weaker, or the man who uses his strength to help those in need?

Becoming strong is easy, it's how you gain that strength and what you do with it once you have it that's important. I would rather be weak from the heart the strong from people's suffering and the fact that that makes me rare is whats wrong with this world.

But don't take my word for it, come with us when we go out and I'm sure this little thing will show you what true strength really is.

Smiling down at her Corran ruffled Julia's hair.

"This little girl is far stronger then anybody else in this room and probably always will be.

Julia's right eye twitched, and she put her hand to her eye. A small headache made its way into her head, and she gritted her teeth, not knowing why this was happening.
"The strongest of us all lies within those who accept the darkness of our own hearts. Strength of the body is meaningless without the vision of infinite perspective. Those who open their eyes to the world see beyond reality and conquer opponents through multidimensional warfare." Julia gasps a bit, trying to find out what the heck is wrong with her.

Startled by her gasp Corran walked back to the bar and quickly grabbed a chunk of ice from a small bucket tucked beneath it and wrapped a rag around it before returning to her side and resting it against Julia's head.

"Does this happen often?

"You two make a perfect couple, you know that?" Sunan says to Julia and Corran. "Just be careful out in public. That's a hanging offense where I'm from,"
he says, grinning.

Looking up at him briefly Corran studied his face quickly dismissing him as anything more then a sad example of what happened when strength came to those not worthy of it's responsibility.

"One day maybe you will have the courage this child shows, but I doubt you'll live that long.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:02:06 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2014, 10:05:02 pm »

Looking up at him briefly Corran studied his face quickly dismissing him as anything more then a sad example of what happened when strength came to those not worthy of it's responsibility.

"One day maybe you will have the courage this child shows, but I doubt you'll live that long.

Sunan thinks for several moments, "If courage involves you touching me inappropriately I'd rather keep my yellow belly, thank you very much."

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2014, 10:10:42 pm »

"You two make a perfect couple, you know that?" Sunan says to Julia and Corran. "Just be careful out in public. That's a hanging offense where I'm from," he says, grinning.
"Admit one more to the list of people I'd gladly dangle over a railway track without conscious effort," Julia muttered.

Startled by her gasp Corran walked back to the bar and quickly grabbed a chunk of ice from a small bucket tucked beneath it and wrapped a rag around it before returning to her side and resting it against Julia's head.
"Does this happen often?"
Julia waves her hand. "Not that I know of, no. I appreciate the effort, but I think I'm fine, thank you."
Great. Now they'll think I have a few loose screws in my head, dammit.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2014, 10:12:02 pm »

"Then why are the strongest humans the ones who repress those characteristics? They may be our most unique, but our strength lies elsewhere."
Julia's right eye twitched, and she put her hand to her eye. A small headache made its way into her head, and she gritted her teeth, not knowing why this was happening.
"The strongest of us all lies within those who accept the darkness of our own hearts. Strength of the body is meaningless without the vision of infinite perspective. Those who open their eyes to the world see beyond reality and conquer opponents through multidimensional warfare." Julia gasps a bit, trying to find out what the heck is wrong with her.
"...I don't know where to start, little missy. Perhaps with pointing out that those who follow fairy tales rarely go far, or by pointing out that the success of those with 'vision' is always more directly attributable to the armies they lead."

"You remind me of far to many people, look at me and Julia. I could lift her with one arm and snap her just as easily. Does that mean that I should?
People justify the pain they cause every day that way, thinking that the fact that they have strength or power gives them the right to use it, gives them the wisdom to control it.
Who is stronger? The man who uses his strength to rule those who are weaker, or the man who uses his strength to help those in need?

Becoming strong is easy, it's how you gain that strength and what you do with it once you have it that's important. I would rather be weak from the heart the strong from people's suffering and the fact that that makes me rare is whats wrong with this world.

But don't take my word for it, come with us when we go out and I'm sure this little thing will show you what true strength really is.

"As I just said: It should not be, but it is. No amount of heart will help you when you have been shot in it. No amount of soul will prevent it from being ripped from your body. Mind...that helps a bit, but brawn always dashes out the brains of the smart one, if it comes down to a contest of whose strength is stronger. Those who think that having heart or soul makes them inherently stronger than those who are actually capable of fighting...I don't expect them to live long. No offense.
"Take Julia. I think she could take care of herself--not because of her heart and soul, but because, if she is to be believed, she is fully capable of taking these idiots--"
He points to the nut attempting to stand on a keg with his hands--"--and throwing them out into the street. That is not heart, or soul, or mind. That is simple brawn."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2014, 10:14:37 pm »

"Admit one more to the list of people I'd gladly dangle over a railway track without conscious effort," Julia muttered.

"Just a joke, Wild Rose. Though if you wanted to follow through with your actions I would suggest that you get into line. Believe it or not, but I've made a few enemies during my brief stint on this world we call Earth," Sunan pronounces with mock terror.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2014, 10:23:03 pm »

words
Julia shakes her head, trying to clear the overload of instant memory recall and memory drop that happened within milliseconds.
"Maybe if both contestants are fighting on the same playing field, you could use your strength. But... someone taught me different, someone who..." She sighs in frustration trying to remember who helped her before.

"Just a joke, Wild Rose. Though if you wanted to follow through with your actions I would suggest that you get into line. Believe it or not, but I've made a few enemies during my brief stint on this world we call Earth," Sunan pronounces with mock terror.

"I take things seriously, though I'll let it slide this time."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2014, 10:23:53 pm »

"I take things seriously, though I'll let it slide this time."

"Never would have guessed," says Sunan, deadpan.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2014, 10:28:38 pm »

"As I just said: It should not be, but it is. No amount of heart will help you when you have been shot in it. No amount of soul will prevent it from being ripped from your body. Mind...that helps a bit, but brawn always dashes out the brains of the smart one, if it comes down to a contest of whose strength is stronger. Those who think that having heart or soul makes them inherently stronger than those who are actually capable of fighting...I don't expect them to live long. No offense.
"Take Julia. I think she could take care of herself--not because of her heart and soul, but because, if she is to be believed, she is fully capable of taking these idiots--"
He points to the nut attempting to stand on a keg with his hands--"--and throwing them out into the street. That is not heart, or soul, or mind. That is simple brawn."

Corran looks thoughtful for a moment then smiles.

"I've fought many men stronger then me, men who had more skills, more "brawn" then I do but I defeated them all do you know how?

I defeated them because when my strength was failing and my "brawn" proved insufficient my heart gave me the will to fight on. Maybe some day somebody stronger will kill me, but I choose to believe that no matter how strong my enemy is my heart will always give me the will to go on to protect that which I hold within it.

Corran smiles then clearly at peace with himself.

"When "brawn" is not enough your heart is a source of strength that will never run out if you are open to what it offers.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:32:00 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2014, 10:37:10 pm »

"When "brawn" is not enough your heart is a source of strength that will never run out if you are open to what it offers.

"Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that next time I'm bleeding to death. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to side with the Tinker in this debate, Mr. Corran. I've seen one too many well-wishers and bleeding hearts get shot to death to believe in the power of heart."

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2014, 10:43:24 pm »

"Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that next time I'm bleeding to death. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to side with the Tinker in this debate, Mr. Corran. I've seen one too many well-wishers and bleeding hearts get shot to death to believe in the power of heart."

"Then remember this. For every one like me you saw fall many many thousands like you also fell. When I fall I will be at peace with my fate. When you fall you will be tormented forever by a doubt I will never feel..
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:45:27 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2014, 10:45:08 pm »

"Fight on a different dimension..." Julia whispers to herself. She closes her eyes and lets her hand draw a name in the air. She opens her eyes and tries to figure out what it might be.

Ar... Art? Art who...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2014, 11:43:13 pm »

words
Julia shakes her head, trying to clear the overload of instant memory recall and memory drop that happened within milliseconds.
"Maybe if both contestants are fighting on the same playing field, you could use your strength."
"What is this 'playing field' where someone with heart beats someone with strength?"

Corran looks thoughtful for a moment then smiles.
"I've fought many men stronger then me, men who had more skills, more "brawn" then I do but I defeated them all do you know how?
I defeated them because when my strength was failing and my "brawn" proved insufficient my heart gave me the will to fight on. Maybe some day somebody stronger will kill me, but I choose to believe that no matter how strong my enemy is my heart will always give me the will to go on to protect that which I hold within it.

Corran smiles then clearly at peace with himself.
"There is a word for that, and it is not heart. It is persistence--or, perhaps, stubbornness. Congratulations on moving the goalposts."

"Then remember this. For every one like me you saw fall many many thousands like you also fell. When I fall I will be at peace with my fate. When you fall you will be tormented forever by a doubt I will never feel..
"Perhaps that is because there are millions of us for every one of you? Behaviors that lead to self-destruction tend not to be passed on. It's like what that Wallace chap said. And who says we can't be at peace, just because we admit that the strong are strong?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2014, 11:44:09 pm »

((I will... probably drop out of this.))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2014, 12:05:40 am »

Julia concentrates, trying to remember what "Art" could be. Drawing with her finger again, her mind came up with the two letters "Di."

What could that mean? Art and Di? Wait...

She mutters to herself all the while, still frustrated, trying to find what this memory was.
"Corran, don't mind them. Just let them be satisified with what they think."

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2014, 03:43:22 am »

- That is called self-preservation instinct suppression, kiddos. Lets me kill more boogies while you drink your warm milk and go to bed.
"This might surprise you, but not all men do exactly what you do. Drinking alcohol is unrelated to combat ability, unless you count the tendency of the drunkard to be absolutely terrible at any form of combat requiring hand-eye coordination, balance, or not vomiting."
- Don't you teach me how the warfare is done, mr. Anderson. Since I have far more experience in that than you. And believe me, a few glasses of something strong before battle are not excessive.
And if a few glasses of vod turn your stomach inside out, that doesn't say something good about you. Neither does extrapolating of this fact on other men around you.

However, what this man said makes some sense. Time to cease drinking.
Enough for you, Kuzma Ivanovich
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:45:20 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22