Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Forum atmosphere  (Read 10411 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forum atmosphere
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 10:54:02 pm »

Oh hey, I found the thread!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87991.0
Browse at your leisure - Girlinhat's post is some way down.
Also, we tend to be flexible, not to mention fond of being punny.
(obligitaryohgodwhathaveidone)

I read that, and it reminded me that I really do like the way that Fortress mode has the Dwarfs do the grinding for you.  I like the fact that you think about what you are doing rather than moving from node to node and mashing the "Do" key.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 12:45:37 pm »

We have a working maturity filter.
To play DF long enough to become interesting in the forums requires some degree of intelligence and patience, meaning all the would be trolls and otherwise douchebags just give up to go play minceraft instead. You will find the same is true of any legitimately hard to go into game.
The lower boards have an extra filter, since people will probably be on the forums for a while before they get involved in General Discussion and FGaRP.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 05:41:33 pm »

And then eventually you post less and less, but continue to lurk, coming out of the shadows only to comment in those threads nice enough to be worthy of your attention. Or is that only my romanticized notion of myself?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 06:39:43 pm »

It's because there is a shadow in the forum, a ghost in the matrix, a lurker in the shell. It intercepts vile posts by foul trolls and edits them to be much nicer. Have you ever noticed that some posters start posting really friendly stuff, then their language becomes a little choppy and they seem strangely frantic about something, but if anything their posts only get more pleasant? At some point these filtered trolls give up and leave.

I'm not saying it's related, but there are two members with the name Aqizzar but one of them no longer shows up on the member search list. They had the same name.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 07:48:31 pm »

Also, we're all slightly mental. The most famous, and spectacular, instance was a thread in DF General Discussion board, a thread about how some outsider saw the game, that mutated into a huge multi-thread space program about colonizing Mars. Can anyone find the origin thread?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 07:53:15 pm »

That one?
(The original title was "how many people play DF?", and the OP has been edited...slightly.)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 07:58:30 pm »

That is indeed what I am thinking of. A moment in this forum's history that should never be forgotten. It shall be passed down by word of mouth and a carcass that is occasionally tossed about.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 08:09:08 pm »

We have a working maturity filter.
To play DF long enough to become interesting in the forums requires some degree of intelligence and patience, meaning all the would be trolls and otherwise douchebags just give up to go play minceraft instead. You will find the same is true of any legitimately hard to go into game.
The lower boards have an extra filter, since people will probably be on the forums for a while before they get involved in General Discussion and FGaRP.
I would dispute that. Many people posted here on GD originally.

Trolls stick to what they know, and they don't know shit about Dwarf Fortress. Politics? Yes. Games  (especially online multiplayer)? Double yes. But Dwarf Fortress? Nah. The closest they have is perhaps the steady trickle of newbies demanding the source and criticizing the graphics, but they aren't usually trolling.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 08:12:05 pm »

No they are earnest.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 12:44:57 pm »

Trolls stick to what they know, and they don't know shit about Dwarf Fortress. Politics? Yes. Games  (especially online multiplayer)? Double yes. But Dwarf Fortress? Nah. Yes.
Nothing is sacred. Fortunately bay12 is like many other sites, privy to a natural defence. To troll Bay12, one must become a part of Bay12.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 05:46:17 pm »

It's much as others have said. There's a pretty big natural filter in place that weeds out a lot of the chaff, so we get very little beyond the sweet, sweet people-grain.

*in before angry comments about feel-good circle jerks

But I suppose that's better than the alternative.
Angry circle jerks about feel-good comments?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 05:56:10 pm »

It's a well-known fact that all posters here are definitely not Xantalos' puppet accounts. Including Toady and Threetoe. And the kitchenbots.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:15:51 pm by Remuthra »

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 06:05:53 pm »

It's a well-known fact that all posters here are really Xantalos' puppet accounts. Including Toady and Threetoe. And the kitchenbots. He just likes to talk to himself sometimes.

No, no, you're thinking of Pathos.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 06:07:00 pm »

It's a well-known fact that all posters here are really Xantalos' puppet accounts. Including Toady and Threetoe. And the kitchenbots. He just likes to talk to himself sometimes.

No, no, you're thinking of Pathos.

Since Xanthalos is Pathos too, same thing.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 06:10:11 pm »

Yeah, I agree with the DF theory. I tried to get my Minecraft friends to play it (they were basically the average Internet user, meaning improper grammar, not reading >2 paragraph long posts etc.) and they basically went "SHIT THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE GRAFFICS SHITTY ABORT MISSION"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6