Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Forum atmosphere  (Read 10422 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Forum atmosphere
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 08:00:40 pm »

Yep. Definitely how I wanna go, in the end.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 10:39:00 pm »

Back on the topic of forum atmosphere, this is the only place I've seen this kind of thing happen. :P

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 10:53:31 pm »

I would say there's just as much aggression and circle-jerkery on this forum as on any other.
We're just less glaringly obvious about it. Any conflict is likely to involve a series of small jabs and snide comments than, "Go fuck yourself and die in a ditch," or comments of a similar nature.

We manage to work it out fairly easily and move on though, we're all Pathos here, after all.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2014, 12:33:33 am »

I can testify to the learning curve. Check out the ksp forums - it's not as nice as here, but the fact most people there are reasonably intelligent really helps.
Another thing is the niche. DF is very, very, niche - which means a very tight group of personalities and people are attracted to it and like minded people tend to get along. We (nearly) all share the same slightly twisted sense of humour, are mostly comfortable with mocking each other yet few people would be able to identify a flame war here (hint: look for long, methodical, logical posts gracefully dismembering someone else's argument). Not to mention nobody rants at the newbies. Gimmie a moment, there's a thread (and a post of Girlinhat's in particular) which perfectly summarises me.

Note: Oh almighty XANTALOPE (computer insists it is block caps), it now recognises Girlinhat's hat as a leader. Be... springy?
I'd..not agree that much with this 'twisted sense of humor' (Actually was attracted to the forum here due to masterwork literature, and I tend to play my forts in the most pacifist/philanthropist way ever). We're not all alike in how we view things, like the moral concepts of...what exactly to do in DF or all that, but there is always a basis of logic behind every person (as far as I've seen here) who made a serious account.

But yes. I like how the theme of we're all buddy-buddy and close-knit exists, despite the gaps between years and member increase.
I would say there's just as much aggression and circle-jerkery on this forum as on any other.
We're just less glaringly obvious about it. Any conflict is likely to involve a series of small jabs and snide comments than, "Go fuck yourself and die in a ditch," or comments of a similar nature.

We manage to work it out fairly easily and move on though, we're all Pathos here, after all.
True this. We have less belligerence, but we still embodify what is the human nature.
We argue with style and class.

Spoiler: Other stuff (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:37:34 am by Tiruin »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2014, 01:40:27 am »

'd..not agree that much with this 'twisted sense of humor' (Actually was attracted to the forum here due to masterwork literature, and I tend to play my forts in the most pacifist/philanthropist way ever). We're not all alike in how we view things, like the moral concepts of...what exactly to do in DF or all that, but there is always a basis of logic behind every person (as far as I've seen here) who made a serious account.

You mean you don't run your forts as quasi hitler/stalin-esque death camps? -_- I thought I knew you...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2014, 01:45:48 am »

Nah, I set the population limit to ~20/50 depending on world gen (...Huh, I've never tried it on my new laptop so... :D Thanks for reactivating the thought) and usually put in the realism.

War.

Glory.

Trade.

And we live overground. Hard, yet fun. :3

All that. Anyway, rerailing-I believe the forum atmosphere consists of those who...can actually take DF by its deeper aspect. Since the game attracts people, only a fraction of those visit the forums-either attracted by the game itself or by the works of those inspired by said game. I fall in the latter, but the former would also make sense.
I mean, my first post.. >.>
I'd like to know how the older members see the atmosphere though. They've got a basepoint far back in the forum past to check this with experience.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2014, 01:58:44 am »

I asked Toady something similar to this once.

Spoiler: His answer: (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 03:14:47 am »

oh, these words are straight up bannable? i hope in a charged context only, who'd want a debate to end with permas over a bundle of sticks

bay12 can be uppity, self centered and elitist shitlords if they want to, but when they don't it's nice, so let's just hope it rarely happens

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2014, 04:01:16 am »

(...Huh, I've never tried it on my new laptop so... :D Thanks for reactivating the thought)
Tiruin confirmed as robot.

Which reminds me, I hope the newest version is released before March.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 06:24:07 am »

(...Huh, I've never tried it on my new laptop so... :D Thanks for reactivating the thought)

Based on some exclusive insider information, I can confirm it will indeed be released by March 2016.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2014, 06:33:06 am »

Based on some exclusive insider information, I can confirm it will indeed be released by March 2016.
Huh.. I thought it would be by March 2023..

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2014, 01:41:18 pm »

In March 2101, update was beginning.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2014, 01:46:55 pm »

I asked Toady something similar to this once.

Spoiler: His answer: (click to show/hide)

That second bit is a big part of it. It's harder for nastiness to grow when it gets cut off at the neck every time it pokes through the door.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2014, 01:51:29 pm »

"What happen!?"

'The goblins setup us the bomb!"

We get signal!
 --What?!
Main screen turnon!

--It's you!

How are you Gentledwarfs? All your fortress are belong to US! You are on the way to destruction!
--What you say!?
You have no chance to survive, make your time! HAHAHAHAH!

Wierd Joykill, Player abandons fortress: Too much meme.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2014, 01:59:13 pm »

Perhaps it was just too early.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6