Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 328436 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: a Perplexicon Game.
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2014, 08:17:16 am »

Hobble over to the skull. Grab it and attempt to remove it from the wall.

"Ayyo', could use evil magic to heal me right now."
The skull is huge, you can't remove it from the wall. You can still try to hit it or do other shenanigans.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2014, 11:50:01 am »

-snip- (Again.)
EDIT: Tomcost, the near-spawning of nails makes me wonder, is this game using the "imbuding" system being developed in the Perpublicon thread? I'm 90% sure it ISN'T (It'd be in the rules otherwise I'd imagine) but just curious and checking.))
It isn't.
Ok good, just checking!
No kind of murder quite like the good old fashioned random magic kind!
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2014, 01:29:18 pm »

The skull is huge, you can't remove it from the wall. You can still try to hit it or do other shenanigans.
Or bleed. I'd appreciate that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2014, 07:43:31 pm »

Turn 006

2. Portal.
1. Aw...alright. Um. I think I have an idea...

Say Word if I find a good one, then charge at and attack Zentol while he is distracted!

Also hope not to be caught in collateral damage.
Edit: Just Science. And hopes of not being collateral damage.

[Pot:1-1=0]
Absolutely nothing happens. Maybe you screwed it so hard that the GM can't even give you a clue about that word.

Interesting.

Try Magical Plan Alpha.

You stop staring at that room where the weird sucky pyramids are and do some science:

[Pot:2+1=3]
A golden line appears and forms a kindergarten-level drawing of an animal. That's really helpful.

Nothing happens.

Now in the room with the plants there is a rocky cylinder over two other rocky cylinders which it uses to roll around the floor. You don't even know how it keeps its parts fastened to each other, as the cylinders do a full rotation. You guess that the answer is just magic. The strange geometrical creature heads towards the place where your diamond used to be. As soon as it goes over the floor, the cracks disappear. It then turns and goes in the same direction that there is a wall. You then lose sight of it.

-snip- I will do this each time you write a wall of text for a turn.

You decide to make something to defend yourself. You grab the pieces of chitin and the cloth rags and try something:

[Dex: 4]

You wrap many pieces of chitin around your right arm, covering from your wrist to your shoulder:

Right armguard:
[Smooth surface]

You then try some magic:

Nothing happens.

A golden line appears and makes a drawing of a pair of irregular things. Yes, your magical drawing kills suck.

[Pot:1+1=2]
A golden line appears, twists uncomfortably and then launches towards you. When you stop cowering and take your hands away from your face you notice that nothing happened.

[Flimsy spd:1-1-1=-1]
[Zentol spd:1-1-1=-1]
[Cromwell spd:3+1=4]

Cromwell tries to unleash a hopefully destructive mass of energy, dubbed Hadoken by him, to Zentol. He walks near him, faces him, and says him words:

[Pot:6+1=7]

A thick golden line appears, then forms the shape of a bear. A sudden flash later, you can see a huge bear made from fire and electricity in front of you. It roars, producing a sound akin to an electric storm during a forest fire. It then looks at you. Yep, he doesn't like you.

[Bear Dex:4]
[Cromwell Dex:1]

[Cromwel end:1-1=0] ((I totally didn't expect your death this way))

It trashes at you, managing to catch your right arm. As soon as it hits you, you feel the pain produced from the electrical discharge, which goes through all your body. It doesn't let you move. You are paralyzed. In fact, all your body is paralyzed. Even your heart.

Cromwell's trashed corpse just drops to the ground slightly burned form the bear's strike.

Cromwell is dead.

The bear, on the other hand, lost his claw after striking Cromwell, as well as all the electricity that made its body. Guess that both fire and electricity are not stable materials.

spd tie: Flimsy vs Zentol:

[Zentol spd:1]
[Flimsy spd:1]

Okay, let's do this again:

[Zentol spd:1]
[Flimsy spd:6] ((Thanks random.org for letting me do the turn!))

As zentol walks up to Derm, The Flimsy Wizard gives chase and fires a spell:

[Pot:4+2-1=5]

[Zentol dex:5]+all his insane dex modifiers. It's a success anyway.
[Flimsy dex:2-1-1=0]

A burst of flame erupts in front of The Flimsy Wizard. While Zentol evades is perfectly, the Flimsy Wizard is caught in the middle of it, suffering more burns.

Arms and torso minor burns "upgraded" to [Burned].

Head and right leg got [Minor burns].

Zentol used this as a warming up to hit Derm:

[Zentol Dex:3+2=5]
[Derm Dex:3+1-1=3]

[Zentol Str:3]

He throws a poorly aimed punch at Derm, which hits in his right leg, causing a bit of pain.

[Pain I]

[End:2-2=0]

You try to crawl to the huge obsidian skull. Magic is for pussies just when it can't help you, but and that skull. The hidden dark powers that must be within. You creep a little bit, but it is already your time. You just lean against the floor. Death is coming for you. You can see those little drops of green ooze that had fallen from the skull evaporate into green gas. Wait, that is not gas! Those are screaming faces, the souls of the damned! What did you do to deserve this? What? You use all that is left of your strength (which is not much) to look at the skull. It is opening. There is a green light coming from inside of it. It is almost your time, you knew it, but now you are totally sure. It then comes. You can see a shadow coming from inside, at an astonishing speed. It is carrying a scythe, made from bones and a spine, but that's just the handle. Its head appears to be made from pure darkness. It is about to reach you when it raises its arms and just goes through you, flying at an astonishing speed to the Northern hallway. The last thing you can see if your own blood rising from the floor trying to follow it, then dropping to the ground when it gets far enough.

Mako is dead

Eric and Romek appear in the center of the grand room. They look at their surroundings, then at each other, then at their surroundings again. Well, they just don't have any clue about where they are.

Character sheets

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: syvarris (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: darkpaladin 109 (click to show/hide)

GM comments

This is the exact moment to ask GWG to link the trope "color coded for your convenience" here.

Also, you guys keep managing to get damage numbers above natural differences. Electricity was never meant to be fatal, but again, the damage was just too much.

I say again, balanced characters are the way to go, mostly.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2014, 08:00:22 pm »

Well then.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2014, 08:26:01 pm »

Zentol's face is a mask of rage as he assaults Derm.  His lips are peeled back from his teeth, as if he were going to bite Derm.  Spittle flies from his mouth as he screams at the man.

"SHAAZESHELIAL CALTAROTHCAL!  ZZERS!  HARIALLTONTAL!  SHAAZESHELIAL KARES SHAELSHAR! DORBAEDAL HALTHEL?!  PHAL-AEO!  PHAL-AEO ZZERS, HARIALLTONTAL, ZOTH-HARETH!  SHAAZESHELIAL BETHCONTHEL DORBAEDAL HALTHEL WORTEAL, BALTAEOL!

RAAAAGE.

((I actually feel somewhat guilty about this character.  I mean, it's designed entirely on killing you guys before you really have a chance.  Oh well, I DID offer you a way out before the game even began at least.))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2014, 08:29:33 pm »

Zentol's face is a mask of rage as he assaults Derm.  His lips are peeled back from his teeth, as if he were going to bite Derm.  Spittle flies from his mouth as he screams at the man.

"SHAAZESHELIAL CALTAROTHCAL!  ZZERS!  HARIALLTONTAL!  SHAAZESHELIAL KARES SHAELSHAR! DORBAEDAL HALTHEL?!  PHAL-AEO!  PHAL-AEO ZZERS, HARIALLTONTAL, ZOTH-HARETH!  SHAAZESHELIAL BETHCONTHEL DORBAEDAL HALTHEL WORTEAL, BALTAEOL!

RAAAAGE.

((I actually feel somewhat guilty about this character.  I mean, it's designed entirely on killing you guys before you really have a chance.  Oh well, I DID offer you a way out before the game even began at least.))
From a RTS perspective, you are choosing the scissors path, trying to deny the mages paper (?) path. Being a mage is a long term investment, while physical characters have to deny that and switch to powerful mages before them become powerful.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2014, 08:42:22 pm »

"Stranger, would you be interested in an alliance for our mutual benefit?"
Offer Eric an alliance beetwen ourseleves.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2014, 09:01:42 pm »

From a RTS perspective, you are choosing the scissors path, trying to deny the mages paper (?) path. Being a mage is a long term investment, while physical characters have to deny that and switch to powerful mages before them become powerful.

So you're saying you need someone to come over and rock his world?

*ducks rotten vegetables*

Cute animal.  Not really.

Magical Science again.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2014, 10:06:39 pm »

Err...new thread. Okay. Gimme a few minute/hours.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2014, 10:19:06 pm »

That was definitely the coolest way to die ever.

Put me back IN the waitlist, please. Same character.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2014, 12:41:53 am »

This is the exact moment to ask GWG to link the trope "color coded for your convenience" here.
Ask and ye shall receive. Although there are other options...

RAAAAGE.

What would be the rock, then? Physical characters with magic stuff? They get blasted by mages but smash physical characters easily?

Wonder if Mako died and who gets the credit/points for the kill.

Ah...re-science?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2014, 12:45:00 am »

"Sure. Beats fighting you just because you're there."

Say words in the Name of Genericness!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2014, 12:45:49 am »

The rock would be the muggle who sides with the wizards. They are the meatshields, protecting the mages until they can strike down the scissors, and then share knowledge with the rock.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2014, 01:21:04 am »

Well. My magic sucks.

PM TURN, I DARE YOU TO SNIP THIS
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 197