Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49513 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »

The no migrants issue is more complicated than that. If I understand correctly, dead units also count against the 3000 unit number. Here is a link of one thread about it. I'm sure you can find more.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=116924.0

The thing about it is, you have to kill thousands of undead, then run the fix/dead-units command in dfhack, and hope it reduces things enough, and doesn't break anything. I have gotten the command to work fine in my newest fort, and it removed almost all of my dead list, although I wasn't at 3000 yet. It reduced my units lists from about 1000 to about 250. If I am understanding how it works correctly, it will remove almost all of the random dead zombies who didnt kill anybody.

We tried that in Moltenchannels, but it did not restore migrant waves.

I think there is some flag that is activated to show the area population has reached a certain level, and that flag does not get disabled if the units count drops below that number.

Edit: This units-list-result-in-no-migrants thing wouldn't be related to the "site cap" in world gen, would it?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:52:31 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2014, 12:08:33 am »

New units with the townportal can still be spawned, yes.

I did designate this little room directly above the curious structure, with the intention of digging a channel and dropping that golem we have down there. It should survive could a while. But better check where the entrance is, and drop it directly in front of that. Shouldnt be too hard. The golem doesnt tire, and the undeads without weapons shouldnt be able to take it down. War of atrition, slow extermination of undeads. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2014, 07:16:20 am »

Second the motion of carefully inserting a golem.  This is a religious-themed fortress, let’s sacrifice for a Colossus and let him do his thing.  Otherwise, what is the best way to combat the undead?
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2014, 07:23:30 am »

Sounds good

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2014, 08:00:42 am »

Otherwise, what is the best way to combat the undead?
White mages. (we are soooo far away from that)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2014, 08:06:35 am »

A demonic lord with his undead and demonic army driven on by rage and hate of all things. On the other, an enraged ghostly general leading his dwarven magitek crusaders.

In the end, only one of these sides will be left at the end.

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2014, 09:53:32 am »

Oooooh boy, got a lot to catch up on.

Journal of McMeph
{?}
The Adamantine, Praise Armok, Praise the Miners, has been harvested.  The strands have been extracted and smelted to wafers.  His Glory approaches!

{?}
I have obviously been aware that the Second Generation exists.  I have even had occasion to encounter some of these scions.  Dohon and Timeless Bob are the first two I have had prolonged contact with.  Dohon is old enough to join the workforce, but seems impatient and in need of direction.  Timeless Bob is precocious, already surprisingly articulate for a child of 2.  She has already begun to show a healthy interest in weapons of war.  Her solemnity in informing me of the obvious merits of hammerhead javelins was adorable.
What must it be like, to be born and raised of flesh?  Was I ever an infant?  I remember running through the stone corridors of the first Mountainhome, but I cannot remember anything earlier.
What must it be like, to learn from Dwarves instead of directly from the will of Armok?  I remember Him guiding and sustaining us when we were but newly created, teaching to survive and praise Him.  Will Faith endure without that true communion?

{?}
Armok, Father of Blood, Father of Conflict!  Armok, Lord of Avarice and of Creation!  Armok, hear me!  One of your own comes to you!  Bloodied Sawgile, strong armed and beautiful of voice, comes to you with parched lips!  Let her drink of the blood she has spilled to you!

{?}
McMeph has demonstrated wisdom.  He has ordained the creation of a catapult, from which we will be able to hurls the Fortress's landmine forth at our enemies.  Not sure if that will work, but if it does, BOOM!

{?}
We have Heretic Traders.  I wanted to see them burned, but McMeph decided that we would save that for a future date.  These Drow seem to be foul creatures.

{?}
I am confused.  McMeph has received orders from the Mountainhome.  Apparently, it was supposed to be McMahrgell to lead this expedition.  Our Priest has stepped down, and allowed the miner to take charge.

{?}
Previously, we had approached the work with each doing what was needed when it was needed.  McMahrgell has promised to change this, and intends to assign each a role

2nd Granite, 32nd year
Praise Armok!  We have spilled the blood of the earth itself!  The magma sea has been pierced, and one day it will feed our glorious industry.

19th Granite, 32nd year
Big D the 145 has ascended to the ranks of legend.  His skill in the cutting of lumber is without peer.

23th Felsite, 32nd year
I have been commanded to act as a trader to the Heretics, this time elves.  I wonder if I can find a way to slip the mine into their wagons and set it off.

14th Hematite, 32nd year
I do not know how to feel.  The heretic traders have left without me having to engage them.  On the one hand, I feel somehow that I have failed in my duty.  On the other, I did not have to expose myself to these creatures of wood and vine.  They should be cut down the same way we cut down their forests.

1st Limestone, 3nd year
This time, I was not able to avoid trading with the heretics.  This time they were humans.
It was not so bad as I had feared.  Humans are not like elves.  While they are not creatures of industry or true Faith, they do not worship trees.  Perhaps they can be converted to the worship of Armok.

more later.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:24:46 pm by ThaMuzz »

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2014, 12:10:13 pm »

19th Granite, 32nd year
Big D the 145 has ascended to the ranks of legend.  His skill in the mining of tunnels is without peer.
erm.., he is a legendary lumberjack ^^ not a miner, sorry if I didn't made that clear, my english has some issues, as you may have noticed

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2014, 01:25:08 pm »

19th Granite, 32nd year
Big D the 145 has ascended to the ranks of legend.  His skill in the mining of tunnels is without peer.
erm.., he is a legendary lumberjack ^^ not a miner, sorry if I didn't made that clear, my english has some issues, as you may have noticed

Whups.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2014, 01:26:15 pm »

19th Granite, 32nd year

Whups.

Why would you ever think I was into mining tunnels?!

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2014, 01:37:51 pm »

Actually, can we get another Therapist screenshot, so we know who is doing what and how well?

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2014, 11:22:34 pm »

I loved mahrgell's turn very much. Hope the other overseers will be as skilful in depicting the events as he was. The description of the fight with goblins was truly marvelous.

The bridge with moving plates built by LMeire and the fact that we caught some Giant Spiders is pretty cool as well. Silk capes and socks to everyone!

My dwarf hurt a hand, but keeps digging no matter what - that's the spirit! And thanks to our doctor Mc Jaxey for fixing me.

As for the migrants, build the embassy like Meph said, really. We need to try at least. Dropping a golem down the hole as a cave explorer sounds like a great idea as well.

I think, we need to buy turrets meanwhile and maybe build more weapon traps. We've dug quite greedily and dangerous enemies are for sure already on their way to get our treasures.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2014, 11:47:50 pm »

Bullet + web turret = unlimited silk + dead invaders (eventually).
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2014, 01:54:43 am »

I'm told it's my turn, so I've downloaded the save and gotten it running, with respectable FPS.  Even have a dwarf picked out for myself.

We don't appear to have any gold, so the embassy's out for a while - yes, we can get gold via prayer / trade / other reactions but it'll take time, especially with only 19 dwarves.  I'm working on my roleplay and planning out my turn (so much as you can plan in DF).

Do we want to run the 'fix/population-cap force' command?  No guarantees on it working, but the unit list is not officially past 3000; most of the enemies are actually unseen.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2014, 02:06:14 am »

Try it. Followed by a "force migrants", to see if it worked.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46