Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49514 times)

Mouseshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2014, 06:09:52 am »

If possible, I'd like to sign up for dwarfing + turn. Really enjoying this one so far.

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2014, 09:07:19 am »

18th Timber, 32nd year
Armok, Father of Blood and Conflict!  Armok, Lord of Avarice, Maker of Dwarves!  Hear me, for Blood has been spilled, and two of Your children come to You, accompanied by a score of dead Heretics!
It has been a few days since the battle.  That music lov you know I can't even find it in me to keep it up now that she is gone.  Splint is dead.  So is Dalim.  A caravan from the Mountainhome was ambushed by goblins.  Our warriors went out to aid them.  The battle went poorly.  First Dohan grew confused and quit the field, then Splint was disarmed by a goblin arrow and fled, only to be hunted down after she had collapsed from the pain.  Dalim met his end when an unseen squad of the enemy surprised him.
The lesson, I think, is clear.  We need trained marksdwarves and artillery operators to support our infantry.

1st Moonstone, 32nd year
McMahrgell has announced that he intends to pass on the reigns of command with the end of the year.  It seems he blames himself for the losses we suffered in the goblin raid.

4th Moonstone, 32nd year
Those stinking cowards!  It seems that one of the caravan's precious traders suffered some minor scratch during the raid.  They have decided to leave without even negotiating!
Where is their Faith?  Where is their damn Piety?  Where the hell is their damn, beardless, sober Pride?

14th Obsidian, 33rd year
The Jotun have come!  Well, it was only single Freezer, but it is a herald of things to come.
The Giants trouble me.  I hate them, I was created hating them.  Even the children of the most impious of the First Generation know deep in their hearts to hate them.
My soul cries out to me to name them Heretic rain down fire and explosions upon their ice rimmed Fortresses.  But they are not Heretic.  They are the other favorite children of Armok.  How do I reconcile this within myself?
We are the Beginning, they are the End.  We the First, they the Last.  In the last days, we will meet them in total war.  Either we will crush them, or they will crush us.  Either way, when the war has been won and the loser's armies are scattered, then will Armok rend the world asunder and begin again.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:53:56 pm by ThaMuzz »

Swagile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2014, 11:27:53 am »

I require re-dwarfing with the nickname "Aggie" as another military dwarf.

Shamefur dispray by my other dwarfy side has compelled me to reincarnate and fight a glorious battle to the death.

:(

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2014, 02:35:27 pm »

Fix/population-cap force + force immigrants didn't help.  We attracted no migrants.  My current plan is to set up the embassy and start stealing caravan guards when they show up (although we still need gold for that).

One more suggestion, albeit one that would probably end in disaster (but I thought I'd throw it out there at least).  If we abandon, then reclaim, we can use dfhack to give us a decent amount of dwarves.  It might (probably would) also release the undead onto the surface, though.

(Taking the dwarf Aban as mine.)

The bellows are an old friend of mine by now.

I've stoked the furnaces a thousand times.  More, probably.  Galena, hematite, sphalerite and more have gone in the smelter, endured my stirring and the heat until I poured it out, rendered into iron, gold, lead...

None of that has happened here.

To be honest, when I was first learning the job, I hated it.  It grew on me over the years.  I learned the catechisms of Armok, used them to give rhythm to the bellows and purpose to my thoughts.  For me, working the smelter, especially directly over the flaming blood of Armok, became a form of prayer and meditation. 

When I learned of HammerAbbey, I knew I would find my fate there.  I thought it would be simply to labor for the glory of Armok.  Perhaps to smelt Adamantine.  There was some of that, indeed, but so much else...and not nearly enough conviction.  There is a shrine to Armok, but it sits beneath only the sun.  The overseers have dug out a grand dining hall but no proper temple of the god of Blood.  A rag-tag militia has seen serious injury and death at the hands of goblins - goblins.  And none

McMahrgell has stepped down as overseer and called for a new leader.  I believe I no longer have a choice.  We live for Armok's glory.  We die for his amusement.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2014, 02:47:51 pm »

It may have been hidden like a footnote after my walls of text, but LMeire was the last overseer, not me :D

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2014, 08:25:22 pm »

Meh, it's fine; my reign was largely economic and uneventful. I might like another turn though, if I'm still alive by then.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2014, 02:12:56 pm »

Talanic - formerly Aban - regarded his crew gravely.  Nineteen dwarves, eighteen old enough to work.  Not nearly enough to finish in the space of a year, but enough to get started...

"Friends."  Not underlings.  He'd risen from their ranks and would return, and all were equally expendable in the eyes of Armok.  "You might not have noticed, but we've got a problem."

No laughter.  Of course not.

"A few problems, actually.  Discipline's been good but it hasn't been good enough.  We're not supposed to be a good fort, we're supposed to be exemplars for all of dwarfkind.  We're supposed to dig out a temple to glorify Armok for all time.  Instead we're just waiting on more people to show up and solve our problems.

"Forget them.  They're not coming until we clean up our own mess.  To that end, we're going to begin the great undertaking.

"Item the first is the enemy below.  Right?"  He scanned the room, got a few tense nods for his trouble.  "For that, we're going to start with Operation: Arnold, to be followed up with Operation: Crispy - which is a long way from completion.  Before those are done, we're already going to start with item the second.

"We will begin building a grand Hammer-Temple of Armok immediately.  Plans have been drawn up for its initial layout.  Stairs will be removed once the upper walls of the chamber have been smoothed and engraved.  It will include a magma moat.  It will include a Temple of Armok.  It will include a Magma Oracle of Armok.  And it will be built directly above the vile fortress below.  We are the spawn of Armok; we do not give a flying schist about such trivial matters as legions of undead!

"ITEM THE THIRD," he yelled, squashing dissent before it could build.  "We are going to build ourselves into an Order Militant.  The current squads will be adjusted.  Everyone who is not already a soldier will start over as a squire of the Dwarves Templar.  When our miners have secured the supplies, we will begin training.  Until then - DISMISSED."

"Wait - what supplies?"  McMahrgell interjected.

"Malachite.  Lots and lots of malachite."

Edit:  We now have two forgotten beasts in the lower caverns.  The latest is a three-eyed Pangolin named Ormon, with deadly dust.  Also, Mc Fengyun has an infected hand, if I read the medical reports right...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:57:35 pm by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2014, 03:17:10 pm »

The infection of McFengyun is back from the time, when she dropped while deconstructing the scaffolding for the braziers in the dining hall ^^

But I like your plans. Those certainly sound fun. Please take some nice pictures, once everything is done. I'm just wondering what devilish plan is involving all that copper :)
But remember that undeads don't care about magma ^^ So if you leak magma into the structure, it will make our quest even harder, because we can't reach them anymore :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2014, 03:28:13 pm »

I would assume its copper hammers. Because hammer temple, dwarven templar, heavy blunt weapons against undeads...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2014, 04:08:03 pm »

Don't we have silver on the map? Moonsilverhammers should be possible without too much effort? Would fit the theme and... what better use for moonsilver then this situation could exist possibly?

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2014, 04:25:57 pm »

Not hammers.  You'll see soon enough.

My research into golemforging keeps getting sidetracked.  The existing goods stockpiles keep grabbing the research materials and putting them in bins - and when they're in bins, they don't wind up actually available for the next stage of research. 

Also, the outpost liason is still there, waiting for negotiations.  It's late spring before I can conduct the first meeting...and turns out the first meeting is over, and LMeire requested no goods whatsoever.  We really need a Blood of Armok, at the least...I'll have to sort that out next time.

Oh, and I didn't know that undead were magma-proof.  Operation: Crispy is pretty well derailed by that.

Also, can't seem to get screenshots working.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:33:27 pm by Talanic »

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2014, 04:38:36 pm »

I'm using Greenshot ( http://getgreenshot.org/ ) for my screenshots. Saves a lot of postprocessing screens, since you can simply select, what part you want to screenshot.
Of course you could also use the oldschool way with the screenshotkey, and ctrl-v it into paint... But to me that felt way too tedious. And when i don't need Greenshot, it does not complain about being disabled (unlike some other trashsoftware^^)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2014, 09:42:12 pm »

4th Malachite:

They brought the body back in pieces and laid him down in the great dining hall.  One more ghost for Hammerabbey - perhaps Proto would keep Splint company. 

"Kobolds.  Who dies to kobolds?  Since when do they fight?  Since when do they fight well?"  Talanic lamented.  "Take this death not as a failing of our fallen friend but as a failing of us all.  We shall rise above this, and we will start now.

"Squires of the Dwarves Templar, you have to earn your steel.  Here in the great hall is the first step.  It starts with you, and malachite."  He stepped over to the prepared piece that he'd ensured was in place for the speech.  No sense in waiting for hauling.  "By force of your own strength - " he placed the malachite on the finishing forge's anvil and struck " - and by the will of Armok - " *clang* " - You will each work this metal.  To earn your squirehood you will each cold-forge yourselves a suit of copper." *CLANG*  "You will not claim armor of steel until you have earned your steel."  *CLANG*  "Through this you will learn the value of magma, the power of the forge."  *CLANG*  "So shall it be done."

This is largely an attempt to make more dwarves have armoring as their moodable skill - somewhat moot unless we get some more dwarves, as we're under the threshold for moods.  Also, we have a giant cockroach and giant winged spider for forgotten beasts.  All four documented beasts are on the lowest cavern level.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:38:52 am by Talanic »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2014, 01:53:22 am »

All four documented beasts are on the lowest cavern level.
The enemy of our enemy is our friend.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2014, 02:16:56 am »

Doesn't seem like they can path to the undead, though.  Also, it looks like my attempts to get the golem forge researched might be in vain.  No activation for the spear golem, then, which may cause Project: Arnold to be tabled until / unless we can get some more orichalcum.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 46