Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 232107 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #765 on: March 12, 2021, 02:58:58 pm »

I've seen a mafia game where a mafia-ally player is told they're town before the game starts, but learns their true alignment during N1.

I would consider passive alignment changes like this pretty bastard-y though.
That's because it is bastardy. Anytime the moderator lies to you through non-mechanically-induced methods would be at least semi-bastard. It's actually debatable if Millers or Framers count as bastard mechanics in some places, since it does create a lie, but they are created by game mechanics, so, eh?

I'd say self-alignment switching is a harder mechanic to balance because you will probably see a Townie jump ship if the Town is losing.

I have seen the Amnesiac role, which has a chance to make you non-Town, but I still think it's semi-bastard.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 12, 2021, 03:16:20 pm »

Amnesaic power roles can be neat.

For example, an amnesiac cop who thinks they're a vanilla townie until a specific day or night.

We should have a game where most players are amnesiac power roles and there's a couple psychiatrists that can "cure" them at night.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 12, 2021, 04:01:37 pm »

We should have a game where most players are amnesiac power roles and there's a couple psychiatrists that can "cure" them at night.
You could combine the ideas and have one player be a repressed serial killer who remembers their evil alignment when "cured".

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 12, 2021, 04:02:57 pm »

Of note I'd like to try a full game later on. I can incorporate some of these ideas.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 12, 2021, 07:04:44 pm »

You could combine the ideas and have one player be a repressed serial killer who remembers their evil alignment when "cured".

This is interesting, but curing players will have a random effect because no one knows what the hidden aspect is. So this unlocking of power roles will be totally decoupled from the day game.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 12, 2021, 07:37:39 pm »

Repressed memories, or fake memories?
Go full ham and add a scum ally therapist who creates the scum team one night at a time, starting N0.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 12, 2021, 07:46:33 pm »

They don't know that they're scum-sided, right? They just know that they're activating people's roles. And if someone activates THEM they become a vanilla mafia ally?

That could be kind of fun. But really frigging hard to balance. Maybe every therapist gets a maximum of 2 activations, or whatever.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 12, 2021, 08:04:36 pm »

I was thinking they know it, and are the single person creating the problem in the game.
The balance might be too lopsided though. Either they get to create a perfect team from picking at the towncore and best players, or they get killed early and leave an understaffed scum team.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 12, 2021, 08:21:57 pm »

I mean, I guess the reason why I don't like it is that it's basically cult with different flavor.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 12, 2021, 09:50:43 pm »

Cults are terrible to balance, but a necessary aspect of the alignment metagame.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 12, 2021, 11:01:19 pm »

I've been pondering ways to make cults better. One-shots aren't too bad, but I'd like to find a way to make other types a bit less snowbally. Maybe a Mark one night and convert the next would help? It'd dramatically reduce the number of converts they get a day.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 12, 2021, 11:09:34 pm »

I've been pondering ways to make cults better. One-shots aren't too bad, but I'd like to find a way to make other types a bit less snowbally. Maybe a Mark one night and convert the next would help? It'd dramatically reduce the number of converts they get a day.
A full cult team that needs to target a player twice in a row to convert them? Would that player be aware the cult is trying to convert them the first night?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 12, 2021, 11:19:06 pm »

Cults have several issues that can't be fixed easily. Traditional Cults are balanced by having an extremely weak early game. Typically, Cults start with one Cult Leader. These Cult Leaders can be nerfed by causing the deaths of all Cultists when they die, or by reducing the number of conversions available. Additionally, these Cultists are typically reduced to vanilla roles. The biggest issue with a Cult is that they are necessarily twice as powerful as the Mafia, because they basically get a doublekill each Night, removing a Town player AND gaining a Cult member. So, rule of thumb, any game where a doublekill Mafia is balanced, a Cult is balanced.

I have seen Death Cults where the Cult Leaders can convert through their own death. Usually this is a Serial Killer subtype, but the Cult Leader dies and converts a new Cult Leader, and the cycle continues until the Cult Leader dies. It's fairly balanced, but it makes the game a bit more tedious.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 13, 2021, 02:03:41 am »

I've been thinking about a Cult that converts people, but doesn't change their wincon.

In other words, Cultists (individuals converted by the Cult Leader) count as being Cult for the purposes of the Cult Leader winning, but the Cultists don't win with the Cult Leader (and are thus anti-Cult). Obviously, this means the Cultists don't know who the Cult Leader is, and there is no Cult quicktopic as well (because then Cultists would use this quicktopic to coordinate against their Cult Leader).

Obviously, Cultists may decide to roleclaim upon learning of their role, thereby ruling themselves out as the Cult Leader. Which may mean the Cult Leader may also claim to be a Cultist as well, and hopefully stay under the radar of the Town...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 13, 2021, 02:20:18 am »

^ I find that kinda interesting, although it's a little bit like being an arsonist?

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62