Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How Should Round 2 Be Changed Regarding Combat?

Players are much tougher than standard enemy units.
- 7 (53.8%)
Introduce a Fatigue system.
- 1 (7.7%)
Options 1+2
- 5 (38.5%)
No Change
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: -The Last Stand- Final Pre-Round 2 Poll: Combat  (Read 39249 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: -The Last Stand- Necdum Spiritum Romanus: Classes Available!
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2013, 05:04:59 pm »

Don't forget that we could always use artistic license.
:'(

It's Julii, not Juliae. And "ae" isn't pronounced "ay".

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2013, 05:34:53 pm »

For games, I call it the Enjoyment License.

I like to keep things accurate, but game balance and fun are always my biggest concerns.

For example, if we do a feudal Japanese setting, I'm thinking of splitting the Samurai into different classes: Some would wield Katanas, some with Yumis, some with Tetsubos, etc. Even though the Samurai didn't split themselves up into specialized areas, for this game it would increases the number of classes and possibilities open to the Players, to prevent half of everyone being the same generic Samurai class. (Though I do believe that different Samurai favored different weapons, and that may play a role in the scenario too.)

Even for our first Scenario, there are various historical inaccuracies. The Gladiators were not defending Rome from invaders. I doubt that any Barbarians defended Rome. And even if there were shortages and issues getting arms, it certainly didn't result in infantry having to divide themselves between keeping a sword or a spear. Yet, for this game, I've done so.

Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2013, 05:55:29 pm »

For games, I call it the Enjoyment License.

I like to keep things accurate, but game balance and fun are always my biggest concerns.

For example, if we do a feudal Japanese setting, I'm thinking of splitting the Samurai into different classes: Some would wield Katanas, some with Yumis, some with Tetsubos, etc. Even though the Samurai didn't split themselves up into specialized areas, for this game it would increases the number of classes and possibilities open to the Players, to prevent half of everyone being the same generic Samurai class. (Though I do believe that different Samurai favored different weapons, and that may play a role in the scenario too.)

Even for our first Scenario, there are various historical inaccuracies. The Gladiators were not defending Rome from invaders. I doubt that any Barbarians defended Rome. And even if there were shortages and issues getting arms, it certainly didn't result in infantry having to divide themselves between keeping a sword or a spear. Yet, for this game, I've done so.

Oh I'm aware of artistic license. I agree there are concessions to be made for fun. Especially within the boundaries of practicality and feasibility. I pretty much was being pedantic and pointing out how things work in RL which they don't have to in the game.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2013, 06:09:52 pm »

Might there be room for one more?
Also, how about a centurion class?
Bonuses to rolls (for others, think leadership), better in single man-man combat, generally weaker or something? Or did I miss that? Thanks.
EDIT: Spotted it had been suggested above, but this is kinda different, so I'll leave it up.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:14:49 pm by Octobomb »
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2013, 06:29:33 pm »

Might there be room for one more?
Also, how about a centurion class?
Bonuses to rolls (for others, think leadership), better in single man-man combat, generally weaker or something? Or did I miss that? Thanks.
EDIT: Spotted it had been suggested above, but this is kinda different, so I'll leave it up.
Probably not.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
Re: -The Last Stand- A Fast-paced Battle Game of Tenacity and Inevitability
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2013, 06:45:10 pm »

Please wait list me then :)
I hope this is ok.

Name: Clyde, princeps ardentem rapa iustitiae
Class: Equitatum
Inventory: Equss, Pilum, Cavalry Spatha, Galea, Lorica Squamata
Appearance: Fairly normal, apart from a largish nose and unusually pale skin.
Health: Fine
Lives: 3

Equitatum - The light cavalry of Rome, especially skilled at making quick, sudden charges and utilizing hit-and-run tactics. These soldiers have become a rare sight, but strike fear into the hearts of invaders with their unparalleled speed.
Charge! (Active) - The Equitatum speeds into the enemy lines, targeting one unit, and rushing into them weapon-first. Charging with the Pila nets a +2 to Attacking, while the Spatha gets a +1. Requires Equss, 1-Turn Cooldown.
Loyal Steed (Passive) - The Equitatum shares a special bond with his horse, almost as if it understands his very words. If the Equitatum misses an Attack, there is a 33% chance that his Horse will immediately perform an attack of its own against his target. Require Equss.

Horseman Vulnerabilities - Not everything improves for a soldier as soon as they get on a Horse, as some weapons function very well against mounted soldiers. -2 to in any Combat against Enemies that wield Spears, Polearms, or similar weapons. Enemies wielding these weapons can not be Charged.
Inventory:
Equss - The Horse is the animal that transforms a soldier from walking on foot to moving at speeds impossible for men. Of all of the Equitatum's possessions, the Equss is his most valued.
Pilum - The same weapon given to infantry as a throwing javelin, for the Equitatum it becomes his main weapon, especially for charging.
Cavalry Spatha - Longsword given to the Equitatum, specially made with a rounded tip (as to prevent the horsemen from stabbing themselves in the foot as they rode) and enhanced swinging power for Equitatum. Despite it being a back-up weapon, it is just as lethal as the Pilum.
Galea - Metal helmet that offers protection for both the head and the facial region.
Lorica Squamata - Metal scale armor on top of a fabric foundation, developed to stop penetrative attacks.
Sig

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: -The Last Stand- A Fast-paced Battle Game of Tenacity and Inevitability
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2013, 06:46:26 pm »

Please wait list me then :)
I hope this is ok.

Name: Clyde, princeps ardentem rapa iustitiae
Class: Equitatum
Inventory: Equss, Pilum, Cavalry Spatha, Galea, Lorica Squamata
Appearance: Fairly normal, apart from a largish nose and unusually pale skin.
Health: Fine
Lives: 3

Equitatum - The light cavalry of Rome, especially skilled at making quick, sudden charges and utilizing hit-and-run tactics. These soldiers have become a rare sight, but strike fear into the hearts of invaders with their unparalleled speed.
Charge! (Active) - The Equitatum speeds into the enemy lines, targeting one unit, and rushing into them weapon-first. Charging with the Pila nets a +2 to Attacking, while the Spatha gets a +1. Requires Equss, 1-Turn Cooldown.
Loyal Steed (Passive) - The Equitatum shares a special bond with his horse, almost as if it understands his very words. If the Equitatum misses an Attack, there is a 33% chance that his Horse will immediately perform an attack of its own against his target. Require Equss.

Horseman Vulnerabilities - Not everything improves for a soldier as soon as they get on a Horse, as some weapons function very well against mounted soldiers. -2 to in any Combat against Enemies that wield Spears, Polearms, or similar weapons. Enemies wielding these weapons can not be Charged.
Inventory:
Equss - The Horse is the animal that transforms a soldier from walking on foot to moving at speeds impossible for men. Of all of the Equitatum's possessions, the Equss is his most valued.
Pilum - The same weapon given to infantry as a throwing javelin, for the Equitatum it becomes his main weapon, especially for charging.
Cavalry Spatha - Longsword given to the Equitatum, specially made with a rounded tip (as to prevent the horsemen from stabbing themselves in the foot as they rode) and enhanced swinging power for Equitatum. Despite it being a back-up weapon, it is just as lethal as the Pilum.
Galea - Metal helmet that offers protection for both the head and the facial region.
Lorica Squamata - Metal scale armor on top of a fabric foundation, developed to stop penetrative attacks.

You're very lucky, there's one spot left and the first turn will be soon. You're in.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2013, 06:55:51 pm »

Thanks. I can ride, so I wanted to play cavalryman since there was an option. Clyde's title is something to do with turnips and justice, by the way.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2013, 07:22:51 pm »

...Some would wield Katanas, some with Yumis, some with Tetsubos, etc.
If we ever do, please bear in mind that Japanese plurals are spelled like the singular form. Katana, yumi, tetsubo, ninja, samurai...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

aattss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2013, 09:47:54 pm »

For example, if we do a feudal Japanese setting, I'm thinking of splitting the Samurai into different classes: Some would wield Katanas, some with Yumis, some with Tetsubos, etc.

Don't forget the Tessen.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:49:04 pm by aattss »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2013, 09:56:31 pm »

Few people care about semantics, so long as the meaning is clear, GWG.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2013, 09:58:02 pm »

Few people care about semantics, so long as the meaning is clear, GWG.
I care about semantics, and grammar as well! And this is the latter, which is far more important!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2013, 10:02:30 pm »

No. It really isn't. If I say "A bunch of ninjas slaughtered my family!" versus saying "A bunch of ninja slaughtered my family!", it will be equally clear. Noone will claim I'm speaking gibberish. This is partly because it has been stolen and made an English word in some ways, and therefore follows English rules of grammar. This is partly because we are so used to hearing ninja(s), as awkward as it may look when written down, that the second sentence would actually cause more confusion at first than the first would.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2013, 10:31:27 pm »

No. It really isn't. If I say "A bunch of ninjas slaughtered my family!" versus saying "A bunch of ninja slaughtered my family!", it will be equally clear. Noone will claim I'm speaking gibberish. This is partly because it has been stolen and made an English word in some ways, and therefore follows English rules of grammar. This is partly because we are so used to hearing ninja(s), as awkward as it may look when written down, that the second sentence would actually cause more confusion at first than the first would.

I agree with wyrm here especially if we do a Japanese campaign. NO PLURALS WITH S's except if they should, and in most cases they don't. It is Ninja and it will never be anything else and if you disagree you deserve to be slapped HARD! and if you disagree AGAIN you get gut punched. No I'm not being irrational in the slightest. What would make you say that!
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2013, 10:44:06 pm »

In that case, explain all the other foreign words that retain elements of their origin languages' grammar.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30