Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like more of or to see improved?

Combat.
- 2 (20%)
Roleplay.
- 2 (20%)
Details.
- 1 (10%)
Plot/Intrigue
- 4 (40%)
Other.
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 07, 2014, 10:09:51 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 71

Author Topic: "The Filth of Kalgena" OOC thread. The GM has his shit together. Somewhat.  (Read 54472 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5 PBP urban campaign interest check. "The Filth of Kalgena"
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2013, 11:42:08 pm »

[Should shields grant half their bonus to Reflex?
No. Reflex is for dodging. Most things you would use a shield for are covered by AC anyway. You wouldn't try to dodge a giant swinging blade trap or a spike pit by blocking it with your shield, would you?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2013, 12:02:46 am »

Cool. I, at least, am happy with basically all of those changes(I'd like not having a -2 to hit, but I can deal with it. I'm the tank anyway.)

Although, I have to point out that no, seriously, weight(leaving aside other issues) in DnD is screwed up. Roman Scutum? Twenty pounds or so at most. Kite Shields? Ten pounds. Bucklers were maybe two to three. Just like a chainmail shirt isn't going to weigh a full twenty-five pounds. Weight in DnD is handled poorly, really...but I guess everyone's stronger so it makes up for it. I dunno. Lifting capacity is a really abstract way to do things, too, so. (Plus the whole thing where it takes 6 seconds to reload a crossbow, a commoner can run just as fast as a trained warrior/athlete(although this might be handwaved or nodded at by things like Dash and Run, I suppose), and of course, the economy, crafting system, and masterwork items in particular. But these are even less important than weight!)

AlleeCat: Cover gives a bonus to Reflex saves. Using the Shield Wall feat gives a bonus to Reflex saves. The way cover works (and common sense) means you won't gain the bonus to avoid having the wall collapse on top of you or jump off the pit trap. It should, however, apply to covering yourself better against a Fireball or acid splash, and similar sorts of Reflex saves. If you can't try to protect yourself with your shield whilst in the middle of a hallway when a Fireball hits, how else are you going to dodge it? Hit the deck? There's a feat for that specifically. Lean into the blast?

Edit: Giant Swinging Blade traps make attack rolls, iirc, so apparently you do. :p

Thank you for the patience and reason with all of this, Immaterial! ^^
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2013, 12:50:28 am »

Not sure if I'll be able to join or not yet, but are we going for the whole "one PC to fill each role in the party" deal?
I was thinking a greedy fighter/rogue-class miner could be interesting to play. Although then again I haven't played much 3.5... Ehh, just consider this a PTW. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2013, 01:52:39 am »

Rolepgeek, I've got to veto the wieght reduction. If I was to cut it by even 10 lbs, you could have a 20 lbs masterwork piece of portable cover for only 640 gp. You could buy four and still have 440 gp left to spend on other things. In fact, I've already figured out how to exploit this.

Also, it's my job to be patient. I want everyone to have all the funs, so I do what I can to balance and accommodate.

You'll also find that Giant Swinging Blades force you to make Will saves: their creators wrote mean things on them.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2013, 11:14:42 am »

It's eight to ten square feet of solid steel! It's supposed to be heavy.
Aren't tower shields wooden?

...and masterwork items in particular.
What's wrong with them?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2013, 11:46:58 am »

I'm not trying to exploit that, and I could carry around four of them anyway, just be a little more expensive and heavy...

However, I will give the link to my still-in progress character sheet. I need to finish adapting it for this campaign.

Celles Gartens, Tank of All
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:48:51 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2013, 11:48:19 am »

Thrush?
No wait that's someone else.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2013, 12:07:19 pm »

My HP rolls.

Glad I didn't roll two ones or something.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2013, 06:01:42 pm »

So do we have an estimate on when this game will be up and running?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2013, 06:05:48 pm »

Once I get a few more character sheets, I'll post the IC thread, and turn this into the OOC one.

Current sheets:
Reuthra
AlleeCat
Rolepgeek

Waiting on:
GWG
lawastooshort
Zako
Weirdsound
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 02:31:57 am by My Name is Immaterial »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2013, 07:31:44 pm »

Also, Remuthra's character is ridiculous.

I'm also fairly sure that if a template is added to a creature that is stronger than the original template, realistically it wouldn't get a bonus...bah.
I'm not sure how he got that much of a bonus to HP, or all those feats, either...
At least my AC is higher.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2013, 07:33:02 pm »

Nerfing space rocks are waiting in orbit.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2013, 07:41:59 pm »

Also, Remuthra's character is ridiculous.

I'm also fairly sure that if a template is added to a creature that is stronger than the original template, realistically it wouldn't get a bonus...bah.
I'm not sure how he got that much of a bonus to HP, or all those feats, either...
At least my AC is higher.
Believe me, I put together all my templating fu to crazy-ify his strength. That happened to raise his Constitution to 2o, too. The feats are monk bonus combined with the proficiency extra, my two normal feats, and my Mental Insanity feat. Believe me, the build comes with copious drawbacks. I pacify the waiting meteors/moonbeasts/fortieth level assassins by pointing out that he is a monk, and that if he had gone with a fighter instead, which is still Tier 5, and taken half-plate and a fullblade with proficiency, he would have 21 AC, a main attack at +25 and 4d8+23 damage, and gold left over for more things. Monks are espoused as terrible in the rules three separate times for a reason :P.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2013, 08:12:27 pm »

Meh, it just made me more determined to contribute.
By which I mean taking the Protection Devotion feat.

Immaterial, can I ask for a change to Improved Shield Bash to also boost shield bash damage die by one step, and to let me bash with a tower shield outside of a charge?
Additionally, in the spirit of the rules once more, could I expend manuevers for uses of Protection Devotion, since Crusaders supposedly get them from their god and the Devotion feats can use Turn Undead attempts?
Is there feat retraining? Stone Power is good at low levels, but shitty at higher ones...

Any other good feats you guys can think of that will help me keep everyone else alive? I am tank, after all, not necessarily damage dealer(speaking of which, should I switch my Constitution and Strength?).
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 71