Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: CHALLENGE: Flight of the Twelve Behemoths 2014  (Read 7159 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CHALLENGE: Flight of the Twelve Behemoths 2014
« on: December 22, 2013, 02:03:04 am »

So, the 52-book challenge has been really fun to participate in, but I wanted to try something different.  The idea is that you pick 12 goals for 2014 that are reasonable things that you've somehow had a really hard time getting done (not necessarily a month straight of work--could be more, could be less).  So, no "lose 95% of my body weight!  Somehow!" or whatever--things that you've got plans for and time mapped out, but you've had trouble mustering the motivation--or maybe just the courage to pull through.

Most of these I've been sitting on for 3+ years now and they don't even take that much work, so I'm going to get them finished in 2014.

Here's mine:

1. Run one mafia game per quarter
2. Read Les Miserables
3. Track down and eat ichigo daifuku
4. Write "Knots of Hay" [30-part web serial thing]
5. Translation project [no more details since I plan to publish]
6. Polish and attempt to publish one short story
7. Sew or knit something
8. Read through Dickens and attend the local Christmas Faire, possibly in costume
9. Read through Shakespeare and go to a play
10. Learn to drive
11. Finish all those outlining and design projects I keep promising myself I'm going to finish
12. Stop being a nincompoop and actually figure out how the local bank works
BONUS: Start seeing a counselor

.-.  Somehow in all the other things I've been doing, a lot of little things have fallen through the cracks.  Also, yes, that's a lot of reading and writing, but it is stuff I need to finish and have just generally been putting off.  If I somehow experience a violent burst of motivation and finish too early, I'll add more--but finishing these 12 with everything else would feel pretty good.

How about you?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Flight of the Twelve Behemoths 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:42:40 am »

I don't have any goals, much less any reasonable ones.

So uh, good luck I guess?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:42:53 pm »

Yeah, lesson learned, LOL.  I'll be locking this.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 12:52:19 pm »

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND

of like two people

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 01:23:15 pm »

I'm yo tor this. I might not come up with very many goals, or at least big ones, but still. I'll have to take a day or two to think things through though. I can only think of like half a dozen things right now.
Love, scriver~

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 02:26:48 pm »

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND

of like two people
You need to advertise more. :P
Or that people haven't decided amongst the vast pool of choices..that works too.

...So I'll make this list as if I'm talking to...myself.

1. Get the habit of cleaning own room. Preferably before any...strange growths appear in the rarely seen corners.
2. Learn to organize the self, more. There is nothing as time management (same # of seconds per day per person), but there is self-management.
3. Learn that the world isn't as harsh as you know it and people are more understanding than they first seem--there will be doubt, but that doubt can be dispelled with communication. Learn to help others and motivate them, just as others helped you.
4. Write and draw more if you aspire to be an artist--or even if its your hobby. Write more. Actually, read, write and draw more! {Best work on your RTD for a start...}
5. Aim for that polyglot personal award. Begin taking down that new dialect.
6. Break that fear of doing things because the start is hard. Introduction-phases are always hard. Learn that motivation picks itself up when you start it. Actually, just break fear. Typing all this is already breaking fear of being shy..and stuff.
7. Learn how to cook. ...Better. Preferably use chemistry knowledge if encountering problems.
8. Learn how to sew.
9. Make your schedules happen on schedule and not an hour later, or even a day later.
10. Learn to drive correctly.
11. Work on upper body strength.
12. Stop being ignorant and start questioning the world; approach with curiosity, and take down that psychology like it was something to be understood instead of something to label stuff with.

...Well that was easier than I thought.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:16:41 pm by Tiruin »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 02:44:16 pm »

Goals? Arg... will have to think about this. All the goals I made last year failed entirely. Somehow setting a goal and failing it feels worse than not setting one at all...    :-\

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 02:46:31 pm »

Yeah.  That's why I'm trying really hard to stick to things I know I can do, at a volume at which I know I can actually do them.

Publicly setting goals also apparently really helps, according to cognitive science, so I'll be doing that and posting updates here as I go along :]

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 03:27:35 pm »

LIST ACHIEVEMENT GET

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 02:08:33 am by Caz »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 06:15:08 pm »

Alright! Some of these are doozies. 7 and 9 both terrify me, but they need to be done so I will do them.

1. Play Skyrim once, and only once. Take notes on good and bad design decisions.
2. Spend no more than $20/month on trading cards.
3. Assemble playable core rules for a roleplaying game.
   -Finish gameplay (combat, arguments, exploration).
   -3 core race templates.
   -2 example culture templates.
   -15 example background templates.
   -5 powers per discipline.
   -Basic equipment.
4. Assemble adequate client design document, arrange for people with actual skills to create it.
5. Assemble a website on which to host rules, game client, and world- and rules-building Wiki.
6. Actually make that Wiki.
7. Move into a new apartment.
8. Earn an A in a class my transcript indicates I have no business taking at all.
9. Become full time student again.
10. Continue progress toward healthy weight. 10 pounds to lose, some muscle to gain.
11. Learn basics of one new language. Russian or Mandarin, maybe? Dependent on what's available online for free, but finish a course at any rate.
12. Make a drinkable wine.

Struck-Through - Accomplished
Green - Approximately Complete (applicable work so far done)
Orange - In-Progress
Red - Setbacks, Must Redouble Efforts
Bold - Irrevocable Failure (should never need this)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:43:27 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 06:51:59 pm »

In no particular order:

1. Get an academic publication of some kind because this is taking too dang long
2. Start working on my Ph.D research again because it's been months since I've really done anything on it
3. Finish the fan fic I've been working on
4. Start working on the next one, getting preferably a least 6-7 chapters done in the next year
5. Make at least 10 new pages for my comic
6. Finish enough world building for my fantasy novel that I can start rewriting it
7. Start rewriting that novel
8. Get back to work on the computer game I started programming, and get at least pathfinding and other navigation issues working completely
9. Pay off the debts I incurred while moving into my new home, sans mortgage
10. Get my mods working for the new version of DF when it comes out
11. Probably start a new community fort despite having learned very thoroughly that it's a terrible idea
12. Start working on a suit of plate armor IRL, preferably get at least the gauntlets and sabatons made
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 07:28:00 pm »

Was a bit sad when this got locked, good to see it back :D

Anyways, don't have a concrete list of things down yet, but there's like, a week 'till the new year, so I should have it up by then. General gist is obtaining a part time job to fund a new tablet and some travelling during the summer.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 09:06:28 pm »

I am rather, suspicious of myself in making a goal list for a year, due to how poorly I followed the 52 books thing. I do like making goals to try to follow, but I can't think of anything reasonable I want to accomplish. The things that jump to mind are either unreasonable or are already being done. But, I think I can get something up.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 12:27:48 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 12:14:25 am »

Short story
1. Finish art
2. Write it all out
3. Compose accompanying music
Finish platformer
4. Draw all backgrounds
5. Compose all songs
6. Do animations and programming
Do short comic
7. ~12 pages art for comic
Misc
8. Work on caricatures/plant illustrations/art in general
9. Do some computing in DF
10. Write at least one happy song and fully finish it for public listening
11. Bake a pie correctly and have it taste good
12. Run more than 1 consecutive rack of 8/9-ball

Ordered approximately from difficult to easy. I'll almost definitely finish 8-12. I'll be happy if I finish 3 things amongst 1-7.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 12:23:32 am »

I am rather, suspicious of myself in making a goal list for a year, due to how poorly I followed the 52 books thing. I do like making goals to try to follow, but I can't think of anything reasonable I want to accomplish. The things that jump to mind are either unreasonable are already being done. But, I think I can get something up.
I failed that 52 book challenge too...not much came out due to hectic later-year events, which completely killed off my time having fun reading (and med stuffs. That always does that  :'()
*Tiruin pats.
Go do so misko! Just because goal x didn't work, doesn't mean goal y won't! :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 4