Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330662 times)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2610 on: March 29, 2023, 11:06:17 am »

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 11:56:47 am by Stench Guzman »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: April 21, 2023, 03:20:45 pm »

There's this Princess Maker remake/reimagining called Volcano Princess (barf) that's recently released on Steam. I've half my mind made up to give the Chinese my money to be Gendo Ikari again, but the more sensible lobe thinks it's saccharine crap (as in, more than PM2 was).
Anyone here tried it and care to give a quick review? Cringe or based?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: April 21, 2023, 04:13:45 pm »

Recently? It was yesterday! But thanks for reminding me of it, i stumbled on it's page sometime ago then promptly forgot. Looks nice, with the exception of otome guys.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 04:15:29 pm by MCreeper »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: April 21, 2023, 07:37:18 pm »

I'm more impressed in over 500 reviews with a 99% approval rating.  I guess the AIs in Bejing are allowed to own video games...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: April 22, 2023, 01:34:32 am »

Wow, you weren't kidding about it being more saccharine than the original. Just... wow. OTOH, it kinda looks like you have a longer parenting run, which suggests you can send a 5yo out into the wilderness to mug monsters & bandits to earn her keep.

Some aspects of it look more like some of the later PM games, but I'm basing this on reading reviews, seeing screenshots, etc. b/c I only ever played PM2.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: April 22, 2023, 02:04:28 am »

I'm more impressed in over 500 reviews with a 99% approval rating.  I guess the AIs in Bejing are allowed to own video games...

We wish. Paid reviews are just part of the game here.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: April 22, 2023, 04:29:55 am »

Yeah, the Steam reviews are defo suspicious in their upbeat abundance.
Having slept on it, I think I'll pass.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: May 28, 2023, 03:37:59 pm »

Having played Pathfinder some, I'm hungry for a mechanically overly-complex power fantasy, but more in the roguelike genre. Something semi-fresh (no Nethacks or Angbands, pls) with way too many stats, classes, and rules to min-max and level up.
I've already played the main staples: ADOM, The Pit, TOME, Caves of Qud, Dungeonmans, Dungeons of Dredmor. Probably a few more I can't recall.
Anyone has managed to dig up some gem recently?

Come to think of it, I'd probably take something from other genres too, if it meets the requirements.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: May 28, 2023, 03:54:33 pm »

Having played Pathfinder some, I'm hungry for a mechanically overly-complex power fantasy, but more in the roguelike genre. Something semi-fresh (no Nethacks or Angbands, pls) with way too many stats, classes, and rules to min-max and level up.
I've already played the main staples: ADOM, The Pit, TOME, Caves of Qud, Dungeonmans, Dungeons of Dredmor. Probably a few more I can't recall.

Come to think of it, I'd probably take something from other genres too, if it meets the requirements.

Risk of Rain 2 sounds right up your alley, except how you listed a bunch of turn based games and this is real-time.

Conquest of Elysium (it's up to 5 now) is a turn based strategy roguelike, super complex with lots of starts. (and if you like it and want an even more complex but less roguelike strategy game, try out their other series, Dominions)

Buriedbornes is a free roguelite (that can carry saves over between PC and phone is you want) that has a lot of different characters and rules. Good art too.

And while I don't think is what you described, I demand you try Noita because it's awesome. It's real time but there are plenty of things to perfect and learn, going from dying in the first floor, to nuking the world. If you really want different classes, download a mod.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: May 28, 2023, 04:15:39 pm »

Gearhead series has a lot going on. It's got mech fighting and customization, as well as human-level fighting and equipment (left and right sides can have different armor and weapons). You can also be a rockstar at human level. The RNG can be swingy early on, though.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: May 28, 2023, 04:27:33 pm »

Yeah, played the Gearheads and the Illwinter strategies to death (come on Micro, I'm pretty sure we've been in at least a few Dominions games together).

RoR is more like Nuclear Throne, right? Fast-paced shooter, not a game you spent half the time agonising over what character build will get you the best advantage. Right?

I'll take a look at Buriedbornes, although it seems a bit simple at first glance.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: May 28, 2023, 05:42:49 pm »

Yeah, played the Gearheads and the Illwinter strategies to death (come on Micro, I'm pretty sure we've been in at least a few Dominions games together).

I've only played Dominions MP once a long time ago and it was a flaming disaster.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: May 28, 2023, 06:02:36 pm »

I guess I’ll have to shill for Cogmind. It’s price is quite steep at $30 bucks, but if you want to play a rogue like with all of the complexity and depth of a classic, without playing a classic itself, then it’s your best bet.

The core premise is that you’re this cluster of rogue nanomachines that were dumped in the basement of an underground space factory. Your goal is to escape, and the way you do that is by dismantling other bots and incorporating their parts into your frail body, eventually becoming a machine that can put up a fight.

The depth of the game comes from the sheer amount of part variety available. You can build a light bot with jets that can fly. A slow well-armoured bot with threads that can fight head to head. You’ve got cannons and lasers, rocket launchers and sledge hammers. Sensors and hackware and EMP weaponry. My list doesn’t remotely do it justice.

The game has a lot of build variety, and part degradation encourages you to constantly be trying new things.

The game is honestly too deep for what I have time to play these days, but there are few rogue-likes these days that will allow you to hack yourself a robot army (albeit it’s very difficult).
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: May 28, 2023, 07:00:45 pm »

Also, honestly, DoomRl has a lot of depth to it. Different styles of game, different challenges, 3 classes that only determine your bonus and the max level of skills (?). Plus equipment customization.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: May 28, 2023, 07:16:24 pm »

DoomRL has always been lots of fun

Apparently there's some roguelike DLC for the 2 Pathfinder game, "Beneath the Stolen Lands" for Kingmaker and "Treasures of Midnight Isles" for Wrath of the Righteous.
No idea if they're worth playing though.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 179