Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330809 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2475 on: February 08, 2022, 06:02:09 pm »

Any interesting multiplayer co-op games that aren't Steam-exclusive?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: February 08, 2022, 07:52:21 pm »

Streets of Rogue is the game I recommend. It's got both local and online co-op and can be bought on GOG in addition to Steam.

As for what it's about, basically imagine it as a rogue-like Deus Ex. You're given a level with a handful of open-ended objectives and you're given a variety of options with which to carry it out. There is lots of room for creative solutions. It's crazy fun and there are over a dozen characters who all play very differently.

But don't just take my word for it here is a link where you can download a demo to try it out yourself
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: March 12, 2022, 01:41:07 pm »

Recommend me village simulators (e.g. Stardew Valley et al) without the standard quaint, backwater, low-fantasy town.

Graveyard Keeper had some interesting gimmicks in its zombies and faith, but the game was a bit short on content and the pacing was off, making it shallow and grindy.

Something involving witches and ritual magic? How about mad scientist vibes? Futuristic settings are harder to justify (would lean more toward business logistics like Anno's futuristic settings), but if you know any I'll take them too.

I guess I should try Rune Factory.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: March 12, 2022, 02:45:46 pm »

Recommend me village simulators (e.g. Stardew Valley et al) without the standard quaint, backwater, low-fantasy town.

Graveyard Keeper had some interesting gimmicks in its zombies and faith, but the game was a bit short on content and the pacing was off, making it shallow and grindy.

Something involving witches and ritual magic? How about mad scientist vibes? Futuristic settings are harder to justify (would lean more toward business logistics like Anno's futuristic settings), but if you know any I'll take them too.

I was just thinking of rune factory 4 before I saw that last line. I'll also recommend My Time at Portia (just be prepared for dull combat)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: March 12, 2022, 02:50:37 pm »

I was just thinking of rune factory 4 before I saw that last line. I'll also recommend My Time at Portia (just be prepared for dull combat)
Alas, I've also played that and mostly included it in terms of "quaint backwater" given that's how most of it plays out. I guess the setting is ostensibly post-apocalyptic and it has some fanciful low-magic technology.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: March 12, 2022, 04:18:01 pm »

I'm curious to see how this shakes out-- I've been of the mind that this genre predominantly only works in that kind of an environment regardless of its trappings-- arbitrarily tech restricted, Medieval era, post-apocalyptic recovery, etc. because of how the labor has to be primarily hands-on without getting too far removed from the individual to maintain that neighborly feel. Once you get too distant, your production side is closer to something like Factorio, and the social side may as well be a VN.

The closest thing that comes to mind is actually out of a differently labelled genre entirely-- Survival. Often still running around picking up resources, often still involves some kind of farming or production, often involves shuffling around furniture and decorations at home, and often still involves dealing with NPCs. Just now, dying is an actual threat.

RF is still ultimately the same, though with a more robust combat layer tacked on, so while it may work... I'd still call it 'quaint low-fantasy town'. (Though given the standards of the world, some may qualify as 'cities', but same difference.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: March 12, 2022, 06:41:39 pm »

Innocent Life is meant to be a futuristic Harvest Moon. I don't think it does enough to convey that, but it's a cute psp title.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: March 15, 2022, 04:40:13 am »

This might be weirdly specific, but what's a game with an interesting setting which has a ton of ingame books or some other texts which I can read to learn about the setting?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: March 15, 2022, 04:50:47 am »

Morrowind comes to mind.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: March 15, 2022, 05:23:06 am »

Issue with that is that I already have an encyclopedic knowledge of the Elder Scrolls lore.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: March 15, 2022, 05:54:31 am »

Deus Ex (both the original and the sequels) tends to have some incidental exposition in places you aren't required to find. It's probably not as deep as the books in TES games, though.

Bioshock and System Shock, being similar genres, might have some too.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: March 15, 2022, 06:55:36 am »

Front Mission 3 has tons to read about in the game's internet analogue.

Mass Effect also has the codex, which is very good.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: March 15, 2022, 11:13:58 am »

This might be weirdly specific, but what's a game with an interesting setting which has a ton of ingame books or some other texts which I can read to learn about the setting?

I think Divine Divinity and Inquisitor are like that, but I'm not certain.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: March 16, 2022, 12:50:48 am »

I remember Fallout had a bunch of stuff to read on computers.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: March 16, 2022, 01:16:04 am »

Speaking of, a bit different, but Hacknet is all about reading about other people's lives and what they've been up to.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 179