Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331852 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2190 on: October 30, 2020, 03:07:05 pm »

Conan? Honestly a great time, though the world can be a little lonely in singleplayer!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: October 30, 2020, 04:27:04 pm »

Any can recommend any games with combat where you aren't fighting hordes of mooks, combat is dangerous and you play by the same rules as AI?
I enjoy these games where you would try to actively avoid combat and any time you do it is when it's unavoidable or the reward is worth the risk.

The ones I've played are DF Adventure mode, Neo Scavenger and Unreal World.

You don't play by the same rules, but "AI War" was pretty much build around the concept of "attack in a smart way or die".

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: October 31, 2020, 01:42:48 am »

Well, I meant UnReal World by URW so...

Also in my opinion Kenshi is a RPG more than a survival game. (And yes the game hates you when you build bases)

I'll check out neo scavenger.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: October 31, 2020, 08:30:15 am »

You may also want to look into mods that can turn a "normal" game into a survival based one.

Recently i have been having a lot of fun with Daggerfall Unity and the Travel Options + Basic Roads + Climate and Calories mods that makes survivalism a big part of the gameplay in a game that was never about it originally.

Another was Call of Pripyat mod "Misery" that turned the simple survival of the game to 10 (there are also free standalone alternative like Call of Misery, Last Days or Dead Air that try to emulate the Misery gameplay with various +/- changes from it)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 08:32:12 am by Robsoie »

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: October 31, 2020, 10:00:25 am »

Conan? Honestly a great time, though the world can be a little lonely in singleplayer!
Wait, really? According to the comments it's basically a almost unplayable piece of crap right now.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: October 31, 2020, 11:16:59 am »

Have you tried Don't starve or Don't starve Together? That's a survival game too - it's got a sort-of cartoonish artstyle and horror elements that might detract from the survival experience, but I'd still recommend giving it a shot.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: October 31, 2020, 01:04:50 pm »

Wait, really? According to the comments it's basically a almost unplayable piece of crap right now.

Hm? No Conan: Exiles is fully playable. The biggest drawback I can give it is long loading times, but that may be due to me having it installed on an external harddrive. There are some technical issues with the game, but it's mostly stable, and feature-rich to be sure. The modding scene is developed too.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: October 31, 2020, 05:35:45 pm »

Re: Conan Exiles

If I recall the new DLC area for Conan (Isle of Siptah) is still grappling with quite a few bugs, but the new expansion zone is very pvp-focused anyways so is probably less of interest if one is playing solo.

Additionally, having only played solo myself I'd strongly suggest a mixture of server settings and quality of life mods to take the edge off the grind -- a fair bit of the gathering/crafting feels balanced around a multiplayer experience, but thankfully can be tweaked into a solo-friendly time. The main map is doing fine, and there are a mods that either expand or replace that map too.

Note that the actual 'survival' doesn't seem that harsh, however -- once you have your first camp/base going, food and water are rarely a problem and you don't have to actually feed your animals/followers (though eating is their main way of recovering health, so if they're in combat frequently they'll devour quite a bit). Despite having a temperature system, the vast majority of equipment has the same insulation values and work for about 80-90% of the map. The last bits require either rare & specialty gear or food buffs - a bit of a waste of the system, in my opinion.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: October 31, 2020, 07:32:19 pm »

Well, I'll pick it up then, since it's on sale and stuff.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: November 27, 2020, 02:53:59 pm »

So I may or may not have asked this before, but I am looking for some economics and/or citybuilder games.

So games like Ymir or Singleplayer Lands of Lords are kind of the ideal, however both are kind of very flawed. The thing I enjoy most about THOSE games is how growth is related to both stimulating an economic (and physical) market(place) and kind of having that be the driving engine of an improvement rather than just pure volume of production of raw resources.

Games like Foundation are pretty good, but not quite as complex, where something like Cities: Skylines is great in terms of design and planning challenges, but lacks a lot of the charm or nuance of a pre-modern cities/societies (which were forced to think a lot more about local defense and wider politics/economics).

Honestly, I think this might be kind of a hard ask as a lot of the titles in whatever you want to call this nascent genre are pretty strictly indie in nature, but I'd figure I'd ask to see what people know.

There's also games like:
Interstellar Transport Company
Star Traders: Frontiers
Mount & Blade
or colony sims which do economies and trading quite well, but aren't city builders.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: November 27, 2020, 03:15:33 pm »

honestly when it comes to economics games i prefer ones where i can get hands on to a degree:

the x-series has a strong presence here as it takes simple input-output systems and builds a multi tiered economy on it, from raw resource all the way to new ships and weapons or fighter drones (my favorite endgame factory btw). you can get in simply by trading and eventually owning a station. still nothing quite like it.

starsector is basically space mount and blade, with the simple trade system as well but when you get into owning a few colonies it turns into how much of the market are you controlling as exports, combined with planets input-output industries. if you build a bunch of heavy industries, for example, that need metals to produce machinery and starship hulls, you'll need to mine and refine the metals needed or import them. theoretically if you build too many and you dont dedicate a few planets to mining and refining and youre importing all the metals on the open market, you could run into not being able to supply the new heavy industries. never seen it happen but its interesting to think about.

theres also the guild 2 renaissance (its the best one afaik) which is a medieval dynasty sim set during the time of the hanza. its pretty good and i can recommend it.

none of these are really citybuilders except the guild 2 kind of but all of which are good fun and employ economics in some major way.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: November 27, 2020, 07:03:30 pm »

Thanks for your suggestions!

Star Sector and The Guild are great fun, but I've played em a lot. I'll give* X3 a spin at some point and see if I can get into it again!

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: November 27, 2020, 08:33:52 pm »

yeah theres honestly not that many games that simulate an actual multi tier economy really. *edit: that aren't super dedicated spreadsheet games

i suppose youve got: the anno series of games
maybe tropico? if you focus solely on exports
the settlers rts series, i remember that being fun with inputs/outputs
kenshi, if you play it that way
if you simplify the economics, maybe sid meiers pirates as well if you focus on trading

i dont really get into city builders as much, like i said earlier i prefer having a direct hand in it but only a few games like space sims really let you get into that. if i find a hidden gem in the steam indie mines that scratches this itch ill let yall know.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 08:37:33 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: November 29, 2020, 10:51:23 pm »

So I may or may not have asked this before, but I am looking for some economics and/or citybuilder games.

So games like Ymir or Singleplayer Lands of Lords are kind of the ideal, however both are kind of very flawed. The thing I enjoy most about THOSE games is how growth is related to both stimulating an economic (and physical) market(place) and kind of having that be the driving engine of an improvement rather than just pure volume of production of raw resources.

Games like Foundation are pretty good, but not quite as complex, where something like Cities: Skylines is great in terms of design and planning challenges, but lacks a lot of the charm or nuance of a pre-modern cities/societies (which were forced to think a lot more about local defense and wider politics/economics).

Honestly, I think this might be kind of a hard ask as a lot of the titles in whatever you want to call this nascent genre are pretty strictly indie in nature, but I'd figure I'd ask to see what people know.

There's also games like:
Interstellar Transport Company
Star Traders: Frontiers
Mount & Blade
or colony sims which do economies and trading quite well, but aren't city builders.

It's not pure economy, but have you checked out Victoria 2? You are playing a nation right before the industrial revolution and want to build factories to mass produce resources, influence your population to grow and take certain jobs, bring other minor nations under your influence so you get first dibs on their raw resources, and beat the shit out of other nations with sheer volume of resources.

If you know paradox games, you know how complex it's going to get.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: December 03, 2020, 09:38:28 am »

So, I am looking for games that have a focus on cybernetics. Any type of game will do, really.

Oh, and it can't be Rimworld, because I already have like four hundred hours on it.

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 179