Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331822 times)

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2175 on: October 11, 2020, 09:59:13 am »

Speaking of zombies, can somebody give me their opinion on Survivalist: Invisible Strand? Apparently you can hire people and turn it into a semi-RTS-and-colony-management thing, which is nice.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: October 11, 2020, 09:59:34 am »

I'm getting the urge for a multiplayer FPS where you and some other players end up having to hold a position against dozens if not hundreds of enemies.

I already know about 7 days to die fyi.

I think Deep Rock Galactic does some of that, while also requiring you to collect as much loot as possible before you leave.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: October 11, 2020, 01:38:15 pm »

I'm getting the urge for a multiplayer FPS where you and some other players end up having to hold a position against dozens if not hundreds of enemies.

And left 4 dead, surely?  :P

Love left for dead but that's a lot more run-n-gun than fortify and mow down.

Same with Deep Rock Galactic. I want construction.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2178 on: October 15, 2020, 05:24:01 pm »

And left 4 dead, surely?  :P

Love left for dead but that's a lot more run-n-gun than fortify and mow down.

Same with Deep Rock Galactic. I want construction.
You're super right. If you find something like this please PM me

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: October 16, 2020, 07:15:31 am »

What are some neat "screensaver" games I can leave running in background while I work, occasionally check out what's going on when I'm on a break, and then go back to work? So far I'm doing with:

• Evolution games(Species ALRE, Boxcar2D, Critterding, etc.)
  • Paradox games on observer mode(I love Vicky 2 but its too clunky to manipulate, CK2 is pretty interesting)
  • Warband, joining a lord's army as freelancer(it kinda sucks though)

The more "god mode" features letting me influence the course of the game during my breaks the merrier.

If you're into tower defence then Sanctum and Sanctum 2 fit pretty well.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:21:31 am by Uristides »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: October 16, 2020, 04:09:07 pm »

What are some neat "screensaver" games I can leave running in background while I work, occasionally check out what's going on when I'm on a break, and then go back to work?

I play Factorio like that... if you play with recursive blueprints and a bot network, then that REALLY works out. Otherwise, it's stocking up on resources and advancing up the tech tree at a glacial pace.

A lot of colony-based games (a la DF) are interesting to see what happens too; of late, I've been picking up alleged 100% self-sufficient Oxygen Not Included bases to just watch the guys run around and do stuff (and see how other people approach problems), because, frankly, watching little guys survive hell and eating their own barely-processed waste (outhouse>polluted dirt>compost bin>dirt>FUD...circle of life!) is an improvement over what's going on outside lately.

I used to have a copy of that DCSS bot that pulled a 3-rune(?) win during a tournament somewhere, but I have no idea where it went... that was fun too.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: October 17, 2020, 01:11:29 am »

What are some neat "screensaver" games I can leave running in background while I work, occasionally check out what's going on when I'm on a break, and then go back to work? So far I'm doing with:

• Evolution games(Species ALRE, Boxcar2D, Critterding, etc.)
  • Paradox games on observer mode(I love Vicky 2 but its too clunky to manipulate, CK2 is pretty interesting)
  • Warband, joining a lord's army as freelancer(it kinda sucks though)

The more "god mode" features letting me influence the course of the game during my breaks the merrier.

I've been eyeballing Galimulator. Haven't played it, but what I looked up looks fun and plan on buying it next sale.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:49:54 pm by Micro102 »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: October 17, 2020, 01:27:49 am »

Are there any more physics-based vehicle building games like Kerbal Space Program? The only other one I can think of is Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, which is... that. And there's one for phones that's kinda like a 2D KSP but I'm not really interested.
Uncrewed is a physics based RTS where you attach parts together to make your units. Besiege might be your thing, too.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: October 17, 2020, 02:54:07 pm »

On steam: you can download "Streets of Kamurocho", a game based on the Yakuza series, for free until the 19th. It will be removed from Steam after that.

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: October 29, 2020, 06:38:59 pm »

Any can recommend any games with combat where you aren't fighting hordes of mooks, combat is dangerous and you play by the same rules as AI?
I enjoy these games where you would try to actively avoid combat and any time you do it is when it's unavoidable or the reward is worth the risk.

The ones I've played are DF Adventure mode, Neo Scavenger and Unreal World.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 06:43:54 pm by Frank2368 »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: October 29, 2020, 07:38:05 pm »

I remember Kingdom Come: Deliverance having combat like that. As far as I can tell, enemies work with the same effective rules as you do, and you're rarely every fighting more than two - in fact, two against you is stacked pretty heavily against you. Combat isn't something you can effectively "do" until the part of the game where your character actually gets combat training and you manage to scrounge up some gear. The very first(albeit optional, as there's other ways to deal with him) fight in the game, a fistfight with the village drunk, he will wreck you. Later on though, fighting doesn't seem so daunting, but it's still risky.

Many situations do have non-combat solutions, but fighting can be worth the risk, since salvaging the dead guy's stuff can be pretty profitable.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: October 30, 2020, 08:46:58 am »

Hey guys, I'm in dire need of good survival games right now, which is quite rare in my opinion. Preferably 3D, but I'll take anything.

Already played/looked at:
6+1 days to die
URW
Minecraft
Unturned
The Forest
Raft
Cataclysm and forks
The Long Dark
Ark
Rust
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 09:15:43 am by IonMatrix »
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: October 30, 2020, 09:21:38 am »

Neo Scavenger and UnReal World, but nether of those are 3D.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: October 30, 2020, 02:34:30 pm »

I remember Kingdom Come: Deliverance having combat like that. As far as I can tell, enemies work with the same effective rules as you do, and you're rarely every fighting more than two - in fact, two against you is stacked pretty heavily against you. Combat isn't something you can effectively "do" until the part of the game where your character actually gets combat training and you manage to scrounge up some gear. The very first(albeit optional, as there's other ways to deal with him) fight in the game, a fistfight with the village drunk, he will wreck you. Later on though, fighting doesn't seem so daunting, but it's still risky.

Many situations do have non-combat solutions, but fighting can be worth the risk, since salvaging the dead guy's stuff can be pretty profitable.
I don't agree with this entirely. Yeah, early on combat is hard, but your skills level up with use. You'll make most of your money selling crap you took off guys you kill, and once you've got decent armor you can take on whole bandit camps with some strategy.

The combat system is ridiculously unwieldy with multiple foes though. I wouldn't say its necessarily hard as much as frustrating.
It's not really risky though, unless you're going into areas outside of the story part you're on and try fighting really strong foes early on.

I'd say KC:D is a game that centers around combat. Where in unrealworld combat is a huge risk mainly due to the fact that there's no save/load, and it takes an extremely long time to heal. Plus, even with the best skills and armor, you could take an unlucky hit from a small child and die anyway. You never have to engage in combat in unreal world. It's a big part of the storyline in kingdom come:deliverance.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: October 30, 2020, 02:46:12 pm »

Hey guys, I'm in dire need of good survival games right now, which is quite rare in my opinion. Preferably 3D, but I'll take anything.

Already played/looked at:
6+1 days to die
URW
Minecraft
Unturned
The Forest
Raft
Cataclysm and forks
The Long Dark
Ark
Rust

Well, Kenshi may or may not apply.  You gotta eat or you die, and if you don't know what you're doing, that can indeed be an issue.
But if you just hang out enough, something is gonna happen where you can grab the loot and survive, so long as you don't get beaten down and bleed out.
At least it's 3D!

EDIT: Although if you try and build a settlement, the game will literally throw everything it has at you.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 179