Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331751 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1995 on: January 05, 2020, 10:12:57 pm »

Cook Serve Delicious is... kind of a cooking game.

It's a lot more to do with running a restaurant than it is about cooking specifically - all the cooking minigames can be done through the use of just a keyboard - but it's still good.

Battle Chef Brigade is more of a monster-themed brawler & monster food-themed puzzler than it is a game about cooking. If you enjoy fiddling about with tiles to make the same colors in rows, I'd recommend it, even though I haven't played much of it yet.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: January 06, 2020, 01:28:48 am »

From what I remember, the Mordor games (these ones: https://www.decklinsdemise.com/). I think I played the second and third one ('Demise') and they felt like a more involved Dungeon Hack. Punishingly difficult. Very old school.

Oh, I've been trying to remember this intensely for a while now with no success. Was impossible to find with generic searches. Real blast from the past circa 20 years. Thanks!

I remember the game as being very good. Perhaps good enough to play now even, although not sure about the GFX, the oldschool 3D does not age well.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: January 07, 2020, 08:20:27 am »

Cook Serve Delicious is... kind of a cooking game.

It's a lot more to do with running a restaurant than it is about cooking specifically - all the cooking minigames can be done through the use of just a keyboard - but it's still good.

That's an odd way of putting it. I play the mobile game and it's probably the most cooking game I know, with the restaurant running more like a mini game to unlock higher cooking levels. The downside is that it feels a bit repetitive.

I actually enjoyed the cooking/coffee part of Cart Life, but too much of that game is about other stuff.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: January 15, 2020, 09:10:40 pm »

Any other games like Ymir and Lands of Lords out there rn??? City Building w/ grand strategy and maybe some multiplayer???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: January 19, 2020, 10:50:56 am »

I enjoyed Graveyard Keeper. Would I also like Stardew Valley, or are they dissimilar enough that it's tough to compare?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: January 19, 2020, 12:55:37 pm »

I enjoyed Graveyard Keeper. Would I also like Stardew Valley, or are they dissimilar enough that it's tough to compare?

Stardew Valley is a lot happier and easy-going, but much more cohesive to me; Graveyard Keeper kind of annoyed me for a lot of minor reasons.

Obviously, a very different sense of humor.

If you liked the crafting in GK, it's largely absent in SV; it's a much more straightforward process: It's mostly raw>refined forms, and objects like signs or fence posts just spawn from the inventory screen. The skill/tech tree system is also entirely different; GK gave you literal points for doing whatever that you can then allocate at will, SV gives you invisible xp based on doing things with specific tools* that further enhance the activity of that tool in a forked path you can choose (ie, using a pick to mine lets you get either more gems or more stone).

It's certainly worth a shot, if you like the genre, I'd say, but they are also different enough to be distinct.

*It has to be productive activity. I spent so much time just swinging an axe at the air every night, burning excess stamina, for nothing...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: January 19, 2020, 10:21:05 pm »

I'd recommend looking at Rune Factory. It's from the Harvest Moon team (and Stardew Valley is a straight copy of older Harvest Moons) but with more RPG elements. I can't vouch for newer games as both HM and RF got weird as Nintendo devices got weirder, but a DS emulator should do you well enough to see if you like it.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: January 19, 2020, 10:23:59 pm »

Are there any more physics-based vehicle building games like Kerbal Space Program? The only other one I can think of is Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, which is... that. And there's one for phones that's kinda like a 2D KSP but I'm not really interested.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: January 19, 2020, 11:19:46 pm »

I'd recommend looking at Rune Factory. It's from the Harvest Moon team (and Stardew Valley is a straight copy of older Harvest Moons) but with more RPG elements. I can't vouch for newer games as both HM and RF got weird as Nintendo devices got weirder, but a DS emulator should do you well enough to see if you like it.

I'd avoid the newer Harvest Moons/Story of Seasons (there was an issue with the ownership of the name 'Harvest Moon', so the games made after 2007 are by a different company... though my opinion stands for both branches) too. They felt kind of busy and lost the laid back pace of the earlier ones, I felt. Also not a fan of the lower camera angle and 3D aesthetic they started employing, though that's to taste.

The RF series, as a whole, is great, though they have a distinctly different feel in each one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(As a side note, the combat bits are absent from the original HMs, actually, so SV would be closer to a copy of HM:RF.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: January 20, 2020, 09:05:45 am »

Are there any more physics-based vehicle building games like Kerbal Space Program?

They have varying degrees of physics but I can think of a few games off the top of my head.

TerraTech, a game of resource gathering, part unlocking, fighting, and blocky vehicle construction. Not super physicsy in that structural integrity isn't really a thing but you can make use of several different types of wheels, (maybe) tracks, jets, and propellers to make your dream jankbot.

Brick Rigs and Scrap Mechanic seem to be a bit more "creative" in the Minecraft sense - I'm not sure if there is an end goal aside from making neat machinery.

I kind of want to mention Last Oasis, the only strandbeest-based MMO you're likely to see. This one isn't out yet.

Finally, Stormworks seems neat. Again, I'm not sure if there is a goal. But seeing some of the insane contraptions that people have constructed is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:07:18 am by Mephisto »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: January 25, 2020, 10:06:29 pm »

I'm looking for good recommendations for games like Heat Signature, by which I mean games where you need to do what you can with the tools that are given to you and the situations that arise, with some leeway to improvise if you don't happen to have the exact right tools for the job.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: January 26, 2020, 06:14:20 am »

I'm looking for good recommendations for games like Heat Signature, by which I mean games where you need to do what you can with the tools that are given to you and the situations that arise, with some leeway to improvise if you don't happen to have the exact right tools for the job.
Streets of Rogue is the obvious suggestion for me, but it can kind of wear down a bit later on into the game, as there are some things that are just more effective/efficient than other methods of solving a given problem. Kind of an illusion of depth, but still worth a lot of fun hours.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: January 31, 2020, 08:44:26 pm »

We don't have a "Can you recommend this game to me?" thread, and this is still following the spirit of the thread, so: https://store.steampowered.com/app/529440/Behold_the_Kickmen/

Should I play this game?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: February 03, 2020, 01:32:35 pm »

Behold the Kickmen can be a fun timewaster, but fyi I got bored pretty quickly, but tbf I actually love soccer and have spent far too much time in FM16/18 and Fifa 14-20 sooo... yuh.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: February 22, 2020, 12:23:53 am »

Has anybody played Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls? I'm having a good time with NES Wizardry, and curious if it gives more-or-less the same sort of experience.

In fact, if there's any really good games in the Japanese Wizardry lineage (with fan or official translations) I wanna hear about those too.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 179