Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331748 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1965 on: December 10, 2019, 01:08:01 am »

^ there are these two games I've on my wishlist, that I might even play some day. They could tick some boxes for you.

One's called Stormworks. It's about building vehicles from blocks and parts (the creative building part), that you then use to rescue people at sea (the purposeful 'cleaning').
The other is Space Engineers, which looks to me like more physics-oriented Minecraft in space, with some reasons to build shit other than it looking cool.

Stormworks looks interesting but it's early access and I've learnt to never get an early access game, and I want something WAY bigger than vehicles. It also reminded me of kerbal space program, but it becomes too repetitive and while you can do cool things like make a space station and satellites, there is no purpose for them.

Also, I can't believe I forgot space engineers. It's incredibly fun but I've come across a major flaw. There is no actual engineering. The most complicated thing is figuring out the weight to thruster ratio. After that everything is free game. Want 100 thrusters on the end of a very long stick? It's ok, everything will gain the same inertia at the same time. Need wiring? Nope, the electricity just flows through the iron plates. Gravity device? Somehow only affects humans and special balls. And it runs into the same problem as minecraft. I've built this big fuck-off mothership and have nothing to do with it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: December 10, 2019, 03:29:27 am »

No early access? Ever?

Well alright, guess I'll just not mention Stationeers then.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: December 10, 2019, 03:43:24 am »

Ever look at Oxygen Not Included? Though that's more about maximizing efficiency, dealing with braindead laborers, and some quirky fluid/gas dynamics than megastructures.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: December 10, 2019, 04:50:32 am »

Sunless Skies/Seas have a mechanic wherin when you die, some of your stuff is passed on to your successor, and thus your next playthrough. Ses doesn’t do much of it, but in Skies, storylines that you finished in your old playthrough will be finished, and you can level yourself up to access ones that you couldn’t last time for whatever reason.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: December 10, 2019, 06:25:33 pm »

No early access? Ever?

Well alright, guess I'll just not mention Stationeers then.

As long as it's not abandoned then I will be able to play the complete version eventually.

Ever look at Oxygen Not Included? Though that's more about maximizing efficiency, dealing with braindead laborers, and some quirky fluid/gas dynamics than megastructures.

Yeah it's not what I'm looking for.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: December 10, 2019, 08:29:34 pm »

Fortresscraft Evolved?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: December 11, 2019, 11:15:00 am »

Instead of blanket dismissal, perhaps say why.

I can say right now, though, "game with meaningful aesthetics on its megastructures that aren't just eyecandy and also uses actual engineering knowledge" doesn't exist.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: December 11, 2019, 02:16:39 pm »

Instead of blanket dismissal, perhaps say why.

I can say right now, though, "game with meaningful aesthetics on its megastructures that aren't just eyecandy and also uses actual engineering knowledge" doesn't exist.

Well he said why it's not what I'm looking for. It's about managing workers, not building big things.

As for a game like what I'm looking for not existing, I expected as much, but I thought I'd give it a shot. At least I got stationeers to keep an eye out for.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: December 12, 2019, 03:10:07 pm »

I'd like to support the games on Itch.io, but there's a lot of them, and I'm tired as hell right now.

What are some good video games on there?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: December 12, 2019, 04:20:01 pm »

I'd like to support the games on Itch.io, but there's a lot of them, and I'm tired as hell right now.

What are some good video games on there?

I quite liked Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive, but it's one of the pricier things on Itch.io, and, by virtue of it basically being a narrative puzzler, it has pretty much nil replayability. It plays like a point-and-click, where most actions take some time, and you need to prepare for your impending doom that you got a vision of the night before. There's a degree of failure permitted and there are usually multiple ways to manage to make it through.

Spoiler: "For example..." (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first game's available at https://www.kongregate.com/games/scriptwelder/dont-escape if you want to get a rough idea of what's going on. (Though that plays more like an escape room, not a point-and-click adventure.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: December 12, 2019, 04:36:32 pm »

Oh hey, Scriptwelder's still making games? That's good, dude had some actual quality in his stuff.

Man... I miss the days of the Flash renaissance.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: December 19, 2019, 02:46:29 pm »

Are there any roguelikes with a grid-based first-person perspective ala Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc.? I know there's Dungeon Hack, but I was wondering if there were any others?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: December 19, 2019, 03:10:30 pm »

Are there any roguelikes with a grid-based first-person perspective ala Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc.? I know there's Dungeon Hack, but I was wondering if there were any others?

Nothing roguelike that I've played.  I liked Wizardry 7. 

Bard's Tale was good, and even came with a map / level / encounter editor at the time. 

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: December 19, 2019, 03:19:35 pm »

From what I remember, the Mordor games (these ones: https://www.decklinsdemise.com/). I think I played the second and third one ('Demise') and they felt like a more involved Dungeon Hack. Punishingly difficult. Very old school.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: December 30, 2019, 11:24:22 am »

Here's an unusual request/challenge. Does anyone know of some fun replayable mobile/portable game/system that DOESN'T have wifi or bluetooth capabilities? Looking for something to play during downtimes at work and no wireless communication is one of the key requirements for security reasons. Golden grail would be some android device managed only through USB/pc software so I can play CDDA on it, but not sure such a thing exists.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:42:40 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 179