Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331467 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1440 on: April 02, 2017, 02:54:50 pm »

I made a thread here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162936.0 about this a few weeks ago. It's tricky, because I don't think any game has actually managed to balance this correctly although the thread does have some interesting suggestions.

I've tried DF in a Calm/Serene biome and it works ok, but sometimes you can tab back in and a pausing alert has come up literally a second after you tabbed off the first time. CKII is ok, but I found that I couldn't really get into the groove with it on tab - I always felt I was missing something.

Let us know if you find anything, it's definitely a niche that should get filled.
I remember reading that thread a while ago! Thanks for turning me on to it again.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: May 18, 2017, 07:16:26 am »

So I'm not sure if such a game even exists, but there is no harm done in asking, right? Anyway, can anyone recommend me a

life simulation game similiar to 'The Sims'?

Lately I got the itch for something like the Sims, but I'm not going to pay hundreds of bucks for that game and it's various add-ons. So ideally, the game I'm looking for is free or at least reasonably priced. If it is set in a medieval or fantasy world it would be even better, but that's far from a requirment.

Games I know of so far:

Life is Feudal
Elona

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: May 23, 2017, 10:59:20 am »

So, I've only played Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, but none of the other expansions for DoW 1. Shall I get Original DoW1/Winter Assault/Soulstorm during the next Steam Summer Sale?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:01 am »

If you can get all of them on sale to unlock all the races, but Soulstorm is the most important as it is the base for the greatest 40k mod ever. Ultimate Apocalypse. Ultimate Apocalypse is basically the greatest 40k game ever made.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: May 23, 2017, 11:16:17 am »

If you can get all of them on sale to unlock all the races, but Soulstorm is the most important as it is the base for the greatest 40k mod ever. Ultimate Apocalypse. Ultimate Apocalypse is basically the greatest 40k game ever made.

Okay then, I'll buy them all.

Kinda Off-Topic: BTW, are there any good mods for DoW: DC? Well, besides Titanium Wars, since I've tried it already.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: May 23, 2017, 07:40:13 pm »

So I'm not sure if such a game even exists, but there is no harm done in asking, right? Anyway, can anyone recommend me a

Lately I got the itch for something like the Sims, but I'm not going to pay hundreds of bucks for that game and it's various add-ons. So ideally, the game I'm looking for is free or at least reasonably priced. If it is set in a medieval or fantasy world it would be even better, but that's far from a requirment.

Games I know of so far:

Life is Feudal
Elona

Elona? Is all you're looking for is the ability to decorate and build a house? If so:

Minecraft + various mods but mainly decocraft.

WURM

Animal crossing

Also, without the designing, The Guild series.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: May 23, 2017, 08:53:25 pm »

Games I know of so far:

Life is Feudal
Elona
I don't believe there are any. I wish there were more games like The Sims, but without all its batshit crazy design decisions.
Maybe just play Rimworld on a low difficulty.   

Life is Feudal does look interesting, though, but it doesn't seem to be remotely similar to The Sims... ???

Edit: Oh, I see, you were referring to this "forest village" version of the game. Man, this is confusing, there are three different games under the same title for some reason. Are all three in development hell yet or what? Seems like an inevitability.   
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:57:10 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: May 28, 2017, 10:46:09 am »

Games I know of so far:

Life is Feudal
Elona
I don't believe there are any. I wish there were more games like The Sims, but without all its batshit crazy design decisions.
Maybe just play Rimworld on a low difficulty.   

Life is Feudal does look interesting, though, but it doesn't seem to be remotely similar to The Sims... ???

Edit: Oh, I see, you were referring to this "forest village" version of the game. Man, this is confusing, there are three different games under the same title for some reason. Are all three in development hell yet or what? Seems like an inevitability.   

Actually, I didn't even know about that forest village thingy before you brought it up. Neither Life is Feudal nor Elona really are what I'm looking for, but they are the only games remotely similiar to the Sims that I know of.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: May 28, 2017, 04:07:48 pm »

There is really no other games like The Sims series. If you're looking for "life simulation" give Sim City or other Sims variations a try or even something like Spore.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #1449 on: May 28, 2017, 04:27:56 pm »

A Tale in the Desert or Wurm. Or if you really want it like The Sims, you could run a goldfarming multiboxing, bot guild which teams up with your other bots. You may even be allowed to auto-spam macros on Entropia Universe and make PED legally for it :D
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: May 29, 2017, 02:49:42 pm »

I've got a craving for two types of games right now.

1) A game that gets as close to war tactics as possible. I don't care about the graphics but I want a complex (preferably randomized) terrain where fortifying chokepoints and putting archers up on the edge of mountains are valid tactics. A game where you have to manage territory and supply lines and all of that.

2) A game where you are so weak that you need to just keep hiding and running. Most of the stuff in the game would be able to kill you instantly until you got stronger, eventually becoming the strongest yourself.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1451 on: May 29, 2017, 02:59:02 pm »

1) A game that gets as close to war tactics as possible. I don't care about the graphics but I want a complex (preferably randomized) terrain where fortifying chokepoints and putting archers up on the edge of mountains are valid tactics. A game where you have to manage territory and supply lines and all of that.

2) A game where you are so weak that you need to just keep hiding and running. Most of the stuff in the game would be able to kill you instantly until you got stronger, eventually becoming the strongest yourself.
Stronghold HD. Managing territory and supply lines isn't tactics though, that's strategy. If you want pure tactics I recommend Men of War: Assault Squad 2.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: May 29, 2017, 03:07:55 pm »

Stronghold HD. Managing territory and supply lines isn't tactics though, that's strategy. If you want pure tactics I recommend Men of War: Assault Squad 2.

Yeah the game I am imagining in my head is basically stronghold with a massive map and actually good AI.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: May 29, 2017, 03:40:56 pm »

1) The Wargame series (red dragon or European Escalation) is the closest you're going to get to actual war tactics, but that's got a modern setting. It's incredibly in depth, and you have to manage territories and supply lines etc. on a tactical level. There's nothing like that in a fantasy/medieval setting, with the Total War series probably as close as you're going to get to that.

2) Amnesia the Dark Descent is kinda like that I suppose, but you don't end super powerful or anything. I can't think of any games where you have that kinda change really.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: May 29, 2017, 04:11:16 pm »

... for the latter, there's actually several different styles of WC3/SC2 custom map that indulges. Off the top of my head you might check out probe vs zealot or evolve in the SC2 arcade (bonus points, the starcraft arcade went F2P a year or three back, so it's costless other than the 20 gigs or so of HD space), hunters vs. farmers in WC3 (if I'm not misremembering the names, anyway). Buncha' stuff like that, variations on similar themes... want to say the general style was usually referred to as runner or tag based maps, but I never really played the things and couldn't say for sure. Lot of zombie related maps that largely work that way, too, though they tend to make early engagement not quite so deadly.

Basically if you're looking for that sort of early game instakill/late game god mode style of thing you might want to dig around warcraft 3 or starcraft 2... maybe DotA 2, too,* and the player made content/custom maps/modes specifically. Might take some finagling to get a WC3 game going, though. Still a playerbase faffing around, but think it's more through 3d party type stuff nowadays.

* Know there's been conversion and tentative work with custom map type junk since they opened up the editor et al, but haven't been paying attention and can't say how far along it is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 179