Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331450 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1410 on: March 04, 2017, 04:08:13 am »

Prison Architect is great for it's emergent gameplay--like my oft-cited example of my accidental gulag where there was a constant waiting line for solitary and all prisoners were in queue for it--many having built up solitary sentences of a week or more. One legendary prisoner and gang leader was assigned permanent confinement, where he lived in a single-tile cell. Every morning he would attempt beat down the door, to which the guards responded to beating him. Then he was brought a tray of food, which tray he promptly would use to attempt to attack the guards, precipitating even more beatings--eventually he would be treated by doctors, whom he would usually attack. He was then beaten and left in a coma until the next morning. The one time I let him go to the infirmary, he stole a pair of scissors and killed 6 people.

Another legendary prisoner managed to steal an assault rifle and killed almost 60 guards, police officers, and riot squad members in an attempted prison break. He was shot to death a long with most of his armed comrades.

For a long time, guards were simply allowed to shoot prisoners on sight.

My favorite prison.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: March 04, 2017, 09:18:23 am »

Where does Prison Architect fall on the scale from "strategy game" to "simulation?" From what I've seen of it in let's plays and the Pet Peeves thread, it seems to bill itself as a "simulation" but has tons of linear scripted story-based campaign scenarios with little freedom, like the XCOM tutorial but if that were every single mission. Specifically in the Peeves thread, I remember somebody mentioning a riot with weapons that should have been impossible to get in their prison, yet magically appeared anyway.
The story-based campaign scenarios are basically just there to teach you the game. The main part of the game is the sandbox mode where you build your prison from scratch, which is a simulation.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: March 16, 2017, 05:29:52 am »

Any good H&S RPG's out there?

Something older or obscure even since I played most of the big ones. Looking for something other than Grim Dawn to tide me over for a while, until the next big PoE update hits.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: March 16, 2017, 06:35:30 am »

Let's see...

Sacred 1 and 2, Divine Divinity 1 is kind of like an ARPG (It's not turn based but focuses on story), NOX is similar to Divine Divinity 1 I think but it's been ages and I've only played the demo.

You could look into mods. One that I played a bit of was Median XL for Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction. It adds a lot of new abilities, items and so on though they can be rather unforgiving. I played a mod for Diablo 1 called "Diablo The Awakening" and it was really hard from the get go.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: March 16, 2017, 07:15:03 am »

I've heard good things about the Revenant. Gothic is also a pretty good ARPG though there isn't a lot of Hack & Slash in it. I also remember quite enjoying Darkstone.

zirconst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: March 16, 2017, 06:22:16 pm »

Let's see...

Sacred 1 and 2, Divine Divinity 1 is kind of like an ARPG (It's not turn based but focuses on story), NOX is similar to Divine Divinity 1 I think but it's been ages and I've only played the demo.

You could look into mods. One that I played a bit of was Median XL for Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction. It adds a lot of new abilities, items and so on though they can be rather unforgiving. I played a mod for Diablo 1 called "Diablo The Awakening" and it was really hard from the get go.

Apparently the Median XL team is coming out with a ridiculous new mod update called Median XL: Sigma. Somehow they are added new areas, bounties a la D3 and a bunch of other cool stuff. Here's the announcement:

http://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1148

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: March 17, 2017, 05:12:56 am »

Sigma has been in-dev for literally years, even while Median:XL has been updated.

Unless you have recent information, I wouldn't count on Sigma being released Soon.

Altivera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: March 17, 2017, 06:46:53 am »

Anyone Got a good 4x or something similar to dwarf fortress for the Android.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: March 17, 2017, 07:21:48 pm »

If your device is strong enough to run it, there's android versions of dosbox. And you can probably get Master of Orion 2 or something similar running on that.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: March 18, 2017, 05:47:42 am »

Could anyone give me some advice about starting to get into the Atelier RPG series? I have no idea what to look for, which ones are better and what should I start playing in the series.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

newsamsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: March 22, 2017, 03:02:39 am »

Could anyone recommend me some small windowed/low resolution games?
Like the original Cave Story or Hack Slash Loots,which is naturally set in small windowed mode.
Also games like Nethack which can manually change window size,yet still playable.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: March 22, 2017, 01:25:49 pm »

Montaro.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #1422 on: March 26, 2017, 09:54:08 am »

Of course, if you're after a zombie survival roguelike, there's always Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Ah, the feeling of coming home after a long day of looting houses and killing zombies with flaming swords and making yourself a nice cup of tea and reading a skill book by the fire...

Cataclysm: DDA is my go-to game when I'm bored or not feeling ambitious enough to play anything else. I'm always starting a new game with a new character (since I tend to enjoy the early parts of games the most). I love it! But,... I can't play it all the time, and none of the other roguelikes I've played really appeal to me.

Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be a roguelike, but turn-based is best, so I can just lean back in my chair while drinking a cup of coffee. Again, I want something I can play around with when I'm bored. Ideally, a SF game would be great, because I get tired of magic (but I'm not a fanatic about that).

Is there anything even close to Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead? I really love that game - turn-based, exploration, crafting, and the fact that you need some common sense if you expect to live very long (especially when you start with the Very Bad Day scenario - drunk to the point of incapacitation, sick with the flu, infected with a zombie bite, and naked,... and the house is on fire in a city filled with zombies,... and it's snowing outside!).

PS. I've looked at Caves of Qud, though I haven't played it. For some reason, it doesn't appeal to me much. Of course, games are very subjective, and we all have different tastes. I do enjoy UnReal World, though. That might be the closest thing to Cataclysm I've found.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: March 26, 2017, 08:33:57 pm »

Is there an ultra-lethal tactics game that's ideal to play in short sessions? XCOM missions are kind of a slog and I don't own any Fire Emblem games, besides I'm not really looking for a campaign experience. Just something possibly slightly unfair, that's good to play one or two quick missions in.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1424 on: March 27, 2017, 10:38:24 am »

Is there an ultra-lethal tactics game that's ideal to play in short sessions? XCOM missions are kind of a slog and I don't own any Fire Emblem games, besides I'm not really looking for a campaign experience. Just something possibly slightly unfair, that's good to play one or two quick missions in.
Door Kickers is the only one I can think of that fits your criteria very well. It's a real-time, level-based tactics game where you tell SWAT to kill terrorists while sometimes rescuing hostages and/or disarming bombs. You can upgrade your team with points you get for completing the levels based on certain challenges, like time limits, casualties, or other challenges.

An RTT that sort of fits would be Men of War: Assault Squad 2 (if you 1v1) or Call to Arms (what is basically a free to play standalone mod of Assault Squad 2). It looks like it could be a Company of Heroes clone, except you don't have a base and there's no resource gathering, and soldiers actually die when a mortar shell lands near them. The entire game is combat, the only logistics involved is managing ammo for weapons and fuel for vehicles, but unless you're playing a Skirmish map against the AI these things rarely affect the pace of the game.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 179