Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330981 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #585 on: May 21, 2015, 08:57:30 am »

Ah, I finally remembered the name of one flash game I enjoyed with dragon protagonist, Nimian Flyer Legends. It's sort of Shadow Colossusy I guess?

I accidentally stumbled across "clash of the dragon lords" in a image search for something else but honestly it looks rather...dubious?

Might run this on the comp in my emulator.

"Dragon Wild Skies" is rather fun but the loading times are horrendous. Also, invisible sky walls suck. It may or may not somehow be related to School of Dragons, which I haven't tried.

Reign of Fire looks to be another semi-decent dragon game, but but again for consoles.

The big draw of Divinity II is that you can turn into a dragon but 90% sure that's just late game content and the rest of the game is honestly boring enough I never got there so wouldn't recommend.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:57:48 am by Demonic Spoon »

Bakuryu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 21, 2015, 07:32:56 pm »

So, maybe someone can point me to something that will keep me entertained:

I'm looking for something simulationish, "upgrade-based", money-management, where you start low and upgrade stuff or expand yourself in some form, and a single game could be played for a ridiculous amount of time while remaining fun (so not roguelike where restarting is common, while I love that, it is not what I'm looking for at the moment).

Game examples: Uplink, KSP Career, Pirates!, Frontier: FE / Frontier: Elite II, The Guild 1/2, Monster Rancher games, Recettear, Dwarf Fortress, Spore space stage, Princess Maker is also a good example, except for the "a single game could be played for a long time" part.

So setting is not really important, sci-fi, fantasy, whatever.
I'm also on a low-spec PC atm so nothing graphically demanding.

Any idea is welcome :v thanks!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:41:53 pm by Bakuryu »

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 21, 2015, 07:37:34 pm »

Yah, in Divinity II the dragon is wildly unimpressive since they got incredibly lazy with it and only give you a handful of enemy types you can even fight in dragon form.  At least in the period immediately after getting it (I admit, never got much further because I was so disappointed), it's mostly just a glorified transportation device.

I remember Nimian Flyer and the other games from its creator with fondness.  They're incredibly ancient though, and so I've known about them a long time.

Clash of the Dragon Lords is one of those crappy iPhone/Android games that have impossible controls.

Most of the HTTYD tie-in games are really bad due to a lack of care, sadly.  School of Dragons is a non-game in the usual Facebook time-sink style, consisting of nothing but fetch quests and farming timers.  Nothing that really makes the fact that there are dragons in it matter at all.

Reign of Fire is an old game, it was a tie-in for the movie.  I have it floating around somewhere.  Not very long since the dragon mode is only intended to go alongside the other mode, not be the major game feature.

Re: Bakuryu, kind of an obvious example, but The Sims/The Sims 2?  Dunno about the third and such games on, but managing a single family from rags to riches is a common gamestyle for people, and since you can go on through generations it's got some staying power if it appeals.  The graphics in the first two games at least are definitely not demanding, although there is a lot of HD-space-hogging content if you get into the expansions.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 21, 2015, 07:38:28 pm »

@Bakuryu, Kerbal Space Program? Career/science mode?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 21, 2015, 07:42:34 pm »

That's actually the second entry in their list of "games similar to this"~
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 22, 2015, 11:53:34 am »

So, maybe someone can point me to something that will keep me entertained:

I'm looking for something simulationish, "upgrade-based", money-management, where you start low and upgrade stuff or expand yourself in some form, and a single game could be played for a ridiculous amount of time while remaining fun (so not roguelike where restarting is common, while I love that, it is not what I'm looking for at the moment).

That sounds a lot like most of 4x games
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 22, 2015, 12:48:36 pm »

Does anyone know any games similar to mount and blade?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 22, 2015, 01:35:56 pm »

Carribean - A pirate sandbox with ships instead of horses based on the exact smae engine.
Sid Meiers Pirates! - Similar fare.
Starsector - A mostly complete space game that is very similar to Mount and Blade.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #593 on: May 23, 2015, 12:35:30 pm »

Are there any free moderately casual adventure-type games for Android that are tolerant of a small screen?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 23, 2015, 01:31:44 pm »

I really dug Cyberlords.  cyberpunk rpg in the style of the Sega Genisis Shadowrun game.  Also, Gurk is a nice throwback to Ultima 2 era games.

The android store is so bloated and diluted with crap, its hard to browse without already having recommendations.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 23, 2015, 03:09:39 pm »

Carribean - A pirate sandbox with ships instead of horses based on the exact smae engine.
Sid Meiers Pirates! - Similar fare.
Starsector - A mostly complete space game that is very similar to Mount and Blade.
Thank you

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 24, 2015, 01:37:31 pm »

How are Sid Meier's Pirates! and Starsector like mount and blade?

Pajama Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Easy to Please
    • View Profile
    • Pajama Knight's Blog
« Reply #597 on: May 24, 2015, 02:38:33 pm »

I'm looking for an RPG with a focus on defense and building. Like Minecraft with more defending what you build.

There's a lot of games that kind of get close, but nothing I've found quite hits the hankering.
Providing an opinion on things in desperate need of an opinion since 1989.

Pajama Knight's Blog - Videos, Games, and Musings

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 24, 2015, 02:39:45 pm »

May I suggest the little-known Dwarf Fortress  :D
One wheel short of a wagon

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 24, 2015, 03:20:23 pm »

How are Sid Meier's Pirates! and Starsector like mount and blade?

In porates you are free to sail all over the map deal with colonial powers fight in their name and amass a fortune.
If you think about it the main difference between those is the fact your character in pirates ages and i think there is no direct character progression aside of getting more items in the remake.
And of course you travel the world in ships rather than using a horse but that's the setting.

Starsector while still incomplete has trade (mostly in but not 100%) fleets meeting in battle, character progression that while looking diffrent is almost entirely the same system used in mount and blade with skills not being possible to raise above your aptitude level. And companions in the form of officers along with politics are "in progress" so for me that's the closest we cna get to mount and blade without playing Carribean!, Mount and blade or one of its many mods.
Starsector is "Shuttle and Autocannon" if i may say so.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 179