Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330950 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #555 on: May 18, 2015, 05:43:37 am »

I feel like playing a game where you are under threat from an overwhelmingly powerful force, and you have to avoid being destroyed by it long enough to deal with it. Yes, I have already played AI War: fleet command.

Any ideas?

The classic XCOM games, or maybe I just suck at those. I always feel like I have to pick and choose when to fight or flee, and I've never made it past Mutons because they wreck house whenever they show up.

Apparently some entries in the Star Trek: Starfleet Command series feature the Borg, who will absolutely destroy all but the most prepared players once they show up. I'm not sure which games those were or how much the Borg actually mattered in the overall scheme of things, though.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 18, 2015, 06:12:54 am »

I feel like playing a game where you are under threat from an overwhelmingly powerful force, and you have to avoid being destroyed by it long enough to deal with it. Yes, I have already played AI War: fleet command.

Any ideas?

The classic XCOM games, or maybe I just suck at those. I always feel like I have to pick and choose when to fight or flee, and I've never made it past Mutons because they wreck house whenever they show up.

Apparently some entries in the Star Trek: Starfleet Command series feature the Borg, who will absolutely destroy all but the most prepared players once they show up. I'm not sure which games those were or how much the Borg actually mattered in the overall scheme of things, though.

This reminds me... Distant Worlds!
One expansion adds a powerful (and evil) race that fled the galaxy but will return if exploring races trip enough of the beacons they come back and wreck things.
Also in another expansion you can play as a clan of pirates smugglers or mercenaries that obviously start as the underdogs (usually).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 18, 2015, 06:37:28 am »

Pirates are the opposite of underdogs in DW Dark Ages or whatever its called.  They start with warp tech and the ability to extort empires.  They can only succeed by keeping down the civilizations and maintaining their early lead, which does get harder and harder.

The actually planetary civilizations are underdogs in that scenario, trying to build up legit empires and get out from under the thumb of the various pirate factions.

You can customize DW really well though.  Make yourself a small faction surrounded by larger stronger AI... the game starting parameters give you lots of room to work with.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 18, 2015, 09:01:17 am »

I'm a bit bored with my games at the moment, can someone tell me games with a very strong story (I mean A good story) that makes the player take decisions (very hard or dubious decisions) a bit like the last of us or even This war of mine or something like that...

Thanks friends
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 18, 2015, 09:17:45 am »

Gods will be Watching?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 18, 2015, 09:26:35 am »

I'm a bit bored with my games at the moment, can someone tell me games with a very strong story (I mean A good story) that makes the player take decisions (very hard or dubious decisions) a bit like the last of us or even This war of mine or something like that...

Thanks friends

The Witcher is a no brainer. Basically every single game in the series give you a lot of decisions that are completely grey in nature.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 18, 2015, 09:42:27 am »

Wasn't Dragon Age (at least the original) also supposed to be that way?

Also I want to say the original Gothic, though honestly I can't remember it clearly enough to remember how grey the decisions were and if the darker options were realistic or just normal rpg-evil "im a dickbag" nonsense.  I remember it being good, but it was a long time ago and my memory is clouded by the increasingly dubious sequels.

I've got LA Noir in my inventory, and based on the original source material as well as the reviews, I'm going to guess that its a fit.  Though I have not played it so I can't be certain.

Seriously though, GWBW:  http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/274290/

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 18, 2015, 10:25:27 am »

Is there a game that's like the arena out of Oblivion, except longer?

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 18, 2015, 11:05:55 am »

Is there a game that's like the arena out of Oblivion, except longer?
there is the elder scrolls : arena
and it is free, last time i checked

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 18, 2015, 11:26:45 am »

Haha, there is no actual arena in "Arena".

I remember clearly, I spent forever trying to find a city that had one.  I must have been like 16, I was so pissed when I realized it didnt actually have an arena in it, went back to playing the arena section in Crescent Hawks Inception.  Haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls:_Arena#Design_goals

Morrowind had an arena in Vivic, though it wasn't spectacularly long.  I think there were mods for it though, probably some that let you fight random matches essentially forever.

Or there is Mount & Blade: Warband.  Travel around to the various tournaments, there is almost always one on somewhere, and you can do that essentially forever.  There are mods for that as well, many of which spice up the arena fights.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 18, 2015, 12:53:43 pm »

! AHHH thanks for the recommends, I'm interested in GWBW :O

Thank you very much puke
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 18, 2015, 02:44:23 pm »

Okay, bit of a shot in the blue, but here goes:

I've been kinda, sorta getting into a fighting game vibe. However, the only one where I was able to get even half decent was Skullgirls. Mainly because I think it's a lot more forgiving in terms of button sequence and the Supers dont require 4 arms or a trained spider to pull off. Basically, I'm looking for some other "beginner friendly" fighters.

I tried Street FIghter... IV i think on steam, but wasnt able to do a darn thing. I remember getting wrecked by even the most basic NPC and the learning curve I had with Skullgirls was basically nonexistent. I also dipped into Mortal Kombat, but that has the same problem where I feel like the game is just very unforgiving in terms of input and I cant get anywhere. Lastly, I tried King of Fighters XIII but just looking at some of the inputs required for the big moves makes my head spin.

Are there some...more friendly Fighters I could start out with? Or do I just need more practice? I wasnt able to find any game that had the same "newb friendly" vibe as SG among the mainstream stuff, so maybe some of you have some pointers.

Cheers.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 18, 2015, 04:47:30 pm »

imo, the Soul series (Soulcalibur, Soul Edge et al.) are pretty simple, with you being able to win on bare minimum with just a button mash combo, as well as forcing victories by pushing enemies off the ring on certain maps (most of the maps)

then there's the DoA series, which if it isnt notable for its girls is notable for its counter-heavy and fast paced gameplay that's rather lenient on its combos on certain characters.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 18, 2015, 06:55:24 pm »

I'm looking for a quicksand box RPG, a game where I can do pretty much anything I want and forget that there is a plot. Something like Skyrim, but I wouldn't mind a game in a different setting, like science fiction or zombies. Anyone has a suggestion?

N.B: Also, I've already played pretty much the entire elder scrolls series and have already tried fallout.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 19, 2015, 12:22:00 am »

Haha, there is no actual arena in "Arena".

I remember clearly, I spent forever trying to find a city that had one.  I must have been like 16, I was so pissed when I realized it didnt actually have an arena in it, went back to playing the arena section in Crescent Hawks Inception.  Haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls:_Arena#Design_goals

Morrowind had an arena in Vivic, though it wasn't spectacularly long.  I think there were mods for it though, probably some that let you fight random matches essentially forever.

Or there is Mount & Blade: Warband.  Travel around to the various tournaments, there is almost always one on somewhere, and you can do that essentially forever.  There are mods for that as well, many of which spice up the arena fights.

Hot damn, I played TES:Arena years ago when I was ten, and I could vaguely remember some kind of arena in that game. But I'm probably remembering some other game.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 179