Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330979 times)

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #570 on: May 19, 2015, 01:21:51 am »

I feel like playing a game where you are under threat from an overwhelmingly powerful force, and you have to avoid being destroyed by it long enough to deal with it. Yes, I have already played AI War: fleet command.

Any ideas?

FTL  --- Stay ahead of the advancing rebel fleet while trying to build up your small ship in preparation for the inevitable big showdown with the rebel flag ship once you reach the federation's last stand.

Okay, bit of a shot in the blue, but here goes:

I've been kinda, sorta getting into a fighting game vibe. However, the only one where I was able to get even half decent was Skullgirls. Mainly because I think it's a lot more forgiving in terms of button sequence and the Supers dont require 4 arms or a trained spider to pull off. Basically, I'm looking for some other "beginner friendly" fighters.

I tried Street FIghter... IV i think on steam, but wasnt able to do a darn thing. I remember getting wrecked by even the most basic NPC and the learning curve I had with Skullgirls was basically nonexistent. I also dipped into Mortal Kombat, but that has the same problem where I feel like the game is just very unforgiving in terms of input and I cant get anywhere. Lastly, I tried King of Fighters XIII but just looking at some of the inputs required for the big moves makes my head spin.

Are there some...more friendly Fighters I could start out with? Or do I just need more practice? I wasnt able to find any game that had the same "newb friendly" vibe as SG among the mainstream stuff, so maybe some of you have some pointers.

Cheers.

Blazblue has a "stylish" input mode that simplifies the combo system, allowing button mashers to pull out combos. Very fun series to boot.

I've got LA Noir in my inventory, and based on the original source material as well as the reviews, I'm going to guess that its a fit.  Though I have not played it so I can't be certain.

LA Noire has an excellent overarching storyline (particularly the final act) and all its cases are compelling. The interrogation system is a bit wonky at times (you can choose whether you believe someone, call them out in a lie (confront them with evidence), or doubt them (but don't have evidence)... but doubting often results in Cole freaking out and yelling random accusations) and some of the evidence is hard to find (you're not allowed to leave the crime scene until you have all critical evidence). Still, I'd say it had the best story of any game I've played.

I'm a bit bored with my games at the moment, can someone tell me games with a very strong story (I mean A good story) that makes the player take decisions (very hard or dubious decisions) a bit like the last of us or even This war of mine or something like that...

The Mass Effect games have some decision making regarding certain plot points, some of which can result in certain characters living or dying. I enjoyed the storyline, solid space opera stuff.

If you're more into espionage, Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex, and Deus Ex Human Revolution all have enjoyable storylines and a bit of decision making.

I'm looking for a quicksand box RPG, a game where I can do pretty much anything I want and forget that there is a plot. Something like Skyrim, but I wouldn't mind a game in a different setting, like science fiction or zombies. Anyone has a suggestion?

Mount and Blade comes to mind.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 19, 2015, 02:06:23 am »

I'm looking for a quicksand box RPG, a game where I can do pretty much anything I want and forget that there is a plot. Something like Skyrim, but I wouldn't mind a game in a different setting, like science fiction or zombies. Anyone has a suggestion?

Fallout: New Vegas
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 19, 2015, 02:28:06 am »

Does it need to be first person? lots of rpgs like TES series and Fallout have open world exploration and side quests, but they don't really have anything to *do* if you want to ignore all quests and plot.

Elite-likes such as privateer give you things to do, but you're not first person there.  Similarly, Space Rangers is open world with lots to do, but you're again a spaceship / mech pilot.

There were some roguelikes with procedural overworld exploration ... I think some of the *band's. 

ProspectorRL is really great, you get to explore planets on foot.

And shoot, what was that old space game with procedural planets?  Was one of the inspirations for DF?  There is a modern(ish) remake of it?  Gosh... starsomething. Not starcontrol...

Edit: Starflight!  Get it on GOG or play the fan remake: https://sites.google.com/site/starflighttlc/downloads
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:37:28 am by puke »

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 19, 2015, 10:40:55 am »

Mount and Blade comes to mind.

I've heard a bit about this game before. I might give it a try.

Fallout: New Vegas

I have already tried this game, but thanks for the suggestion anyways.

Does it need to be first person? lots of rpgs like TES series and Fallout have open world exploration and side quests, but they don't really have anything to *do* if you want to ignore all quests and plot.

Elite-likes such as privateer give you things to do, but you're not first person there.  Similarly, Space Rangers is open world with lots to do, but you're again a spaceship / mech pilot.

There were some roguelikes with procedural overworld exploration ... I think some of the *band's. 

ProspectorRL is really great, you get to explore planets on foot.

And shoot, what was that old space game with procedural planets?  Was one of the inspirations for DF?  There is a modern(ish) remake of it?  Gosh... starsomething. Not starcontrol...

Edit: Starflight!  Get it on GOG or play the fan remake: https://sites.google.com/site/starflighttlc/downloads

I don't really mind if it's a third person game, but I'd rather be in control of a single character.

I'd really love a game where I can change the world through my action, but not while following a linear story or quest. What I'm saying is that I'd like a world where I can do pretty much anything I want and see the consequences of my acts. From what I know about mount and blade it might be closer to what I want to have. Is there any other game like that?

And one last question. Is the original Deus Ex set in an open world? I've been thinking about playing it but I can't seem to find whenever it is or not.

FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #574 on: May 19, 2015, 10:46:08 am »

I'd really love a game where I can change the world through my action, but not while following a linear story or quest. What I'm saying is that I'd like a world where I can do pretty much anything I want and see the consequences of my acts. From what I know about mount and blade it might be closer to what I want to have. Is there any other game like that?

Well, there's Dwarf Fortress. I'm pretty sure you already know about that though...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 19, 2015, 10:50:56 am »

Quote from: FArgHalfnr
And one last question. Is the original Deus Ex set in an open world? I've been thinking about playing it but I can't seem to find whenever it is or not.
deus ex's maps are big and there are lots of things to do and usually several ways to do those things but I don't think it is an open world game

great game though, everyone should play it
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:55:23 am by TripJack »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 19, 2015, 10:59:07 am »

Deus Ex 1 is not open world. The levels are quite large and there are multiple paths to your goal but they're separate. Once you complete the objectiveness you advance to the next map.

Gothic I is open world and you can join different factions.

Gothic III has that as well as you can side with either of two factions and take towns in eithers name. That's all separate from the main plot. Both games have a interesting fighting system based around parrying and countering that tends to be a rather dividing factor. Gothic III isn't too strong in combat due to some issues with stun locking wolves and the like (Fixed in a fanmade patch).

The "S.T.A.L.K.E.R" series is quite open world. After finishing beginning quests up to a point you can explore pretty freely. "S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Lost Alpha" is a free remake of the first one that you can find on ModDB if you've got a pretty large internet download plan. It improves the graphics, fixes bugs and adds a lot of new content and areas.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a SciFi, mutants and zombies FPS set around Chernobyl.

@Stuebi: Timing in Street Fighter IV is very important. Pulling off combos is about timing input to specific frames to link them. I can't do that so I tend to focus on defence and landing hits when it's safe to do so. Skullgirls is less specific with timing but more open to combos that can last for quite a while, even with the games anti-infinite mechanic.

In SFIV I find trying to counter the opponent is good practice. Punch upwards if they're jumping, punch standing and move to a low punch/kick if they block that.

I think Mortal Kombat is more about juggling? Hitting your opponents without letting them hit the floor.

I'm not sure what Tekken's focus is.

I do enjoy SFIV the most out of those (My favourite though is Hisoutensoku. Bullet spam and spell cards.) but it is very unfriendly to beginners such as myself due to the timing and difficult A.I.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 20, 2015, 02:32:19 am »

So, anyone spotted any recent dragon-protagonist/supporter games lately?  I like to try and keep in the know of pretty much all of them, even the little flash games on weird websites, so I like to ask periodically since I'm sure there's some small ones I missed.

I already know most of what's out there and what's coming, so small titles that haven't been released on major platforms are what I'm mostly looking for.  I keep a close eye on Steam, but if you know something cool in the Greenlight section that hasn't been lit yet I might have missed that, so I'd appreciate those too.

Any game where you either play as a dragon (not a dragon transformed into a human for more than 60% of the gametime; an actual dragon), or that features dragons in a major supporter role (such as a dedicated mount, party member, Pokemon-style monster battler, etc.)
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 20, 2015, 04:54:58 am »

So, anyone spotted any recent dragon-protagonist/supporter games lately?  I like to try and keep in the know of pretty much all of them, even the little flash games on weird websites, so I like to ask periodically since I'm sure there's some small ones I missed.

I already know most of what's out there and what's coming, so small titles that haven't been released on major platforms are what I'm mostly looking for.  I keep a close eye on Steam, but if you know something cool in the Greenlight section that hasn't been lit yet I might have missed that, so I'd appreciate those too.

Any game where you either play as a dragon (not a dragon transformed into a human for more than 60% of the gametime; an actual dragon), or that features dragons in a major supporter role (such as a dedicated mount, party member, Pokemon-style monster battler, etc.)

IIRC there's another oldish mmo that allows you to play as a dragon, but the trial was time-limited and the game wasn't fun enough that I wanted to shell money out for it.

Since this is relevant to my interests as well, can you give me the names of any other good games where you can play as a dragon that I missed?

Now for a request of my own. Any fun necromancer games? By that I mean one focusing on summoning up a army of undead minions, with the caveat that preferably actual corpses are used to create the minions. Diablo II Necromancer is the best at this I've found so far. I heard good things about Everquest, but didn't enjoy playing the game. I also heard people talking about Age of Conan but for some reason I couldn't connect to the servers or something when I tried to play it. I forget what the exact problem was.

I tried the several different types of "necromancy" type classes in Dark Age of Camelot and found them all wanting.

I've heard interesting things about Path of Exile semi-necromancer witches, but struggled to get into it, is it really actually fun?

I have played the Necromancer faction in HoMM 3 & 5 and that was pretty fun.

The first Guild Wars is on my "to try" list if I ever have free time and money for it. Several Skyrim necromancy mods are also on the list for when I get around to modding skyrim extensively.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:01:26 am by Demonic Spoon »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 20, 2015, 05:10:57 am »

Now for a request of my own. Any fun necromancer games? By that I mean one focusing on summoning up a army of undead minions, with the caveat that preferably actual corpses are used to create the minions. Diablo II Necromancer is the best at this I've found so far. I heard good things about Everquest, but didn't enjoy playing the game. I also heard people talking about Age of Conan but for some reason I couldn't connect to the servers or something when I tried to play it. I forget what the exact problem was.

There's Nekro on Steam. I haven't been keeping a close eye on it, though. It is also still in development and early access at the moment.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 20, 2015, 05:38:10 am »

Since this is relevant to my interests as well, can you give me the names of any other good games where you can play as a dragon that I missed?

I think Drakkan is the seminal classic of this genre.  Honestly it wasnt great, but it was one of the first 3d action RPGs with a big dragon and relatively high end graphics for the time.  I still remember enjoying it, and some of the dragon art was pretty cool / unique.

If you really want to distill the genre to its essence, you don't need to go any further than this:  http://www.homestarrunner.com/trogdor.html

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 20, 2015, 06:01:24 am »

Necromancer - Two Worlds 2
You can either summmon help or raide dead corpses nearby but its worthpointing out that those minions have lifespans around 1 minute long and you can't jsut start out as a necromancer either.

Dragon...
Well theres that I of the Dragon game on steam. It was on sale recently. It would be good if not for the horrible controls.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 20, 2015, 12:08:07 pm »

In regards to dragon games, I presume you're aware of the old Panzer Dragoon series?

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 20, 2015, 12:35:13 pm »

Only dragon games I know of is the drakengard series, but since those are pretty old I assume you already know about them.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 20, 2015, 06:30:55 pm »

Yeah, alas all the ones listed are ones that I've already got on my little notes list of either have played, or can't access due to lack of the appropriate platform to play it on.  But since it was asked, here's my list of dragon games with my personal descriptions/opinions:

Spoiler: Dragon games (click to show/hide)

Those are just a grab-bag of ones that come to mind.  There's more out there, but most of them are too similar to ones listed or are ancient flash games like Akai Ryu.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 179