Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330855 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #330 on: December 03, 2014, 11:56:01 am »

I need a game to add to an article for my magazine.

Hey Sappho,  I've got a suggestion for you:

This is not cross platform, but there is this Kim Kardashian game that was topping the charts a while back.  Ostensibly, it is pure entertainment.  But a little bit deeper, it is a game about social ladder climbing. 

It might fit with your article, because there a ton of assholes in the world like me who read sites like Lifehacker, Inc, and Fast Company for tips on being more productive, more successful, better business people, more effective managers, or whatever.  To that end, this is a game about taking the initiative and improving yourself, during a time where self-improvement is fetishized in the media and in our culture.

At least in silicon valley culture, I don't know anbout the rest of the world.

Anyway, it is not actually a "gamification" of self improvement in that it rewards you for doing things towards a goal -- there are plenty of real apps that actually do that.  Rather this is a plain and simple game ABOUT those things, so if you cant take the time to actually BE productive, you can at least PRETEND to.

So... might be thematic with your article, while still filling your bosses requirements of "just being a game"

Cheers

edit: 

ios:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kim-kardashian-hollywood/id860822992?mt=8 
android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glu.stardomkim&hl=en
mac: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kim-kardashian-hollywood/id895570899?mt=12
playable on PC with an app emulator: http://downloadforpc.net/play-kim-kardashian-hollywood-for-free-on-windows-computer/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:02:51 pm by puke »

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 10, 2014, 09:29:02 am »

I'm looking for a realtime top-down space survival/simulation game which allows you to you can explore the universe with a single mothership OR
with multiple ships of different types and at different locations at once.
Alternatively, you can colonize a single/few planet(s) and spend your days there, exploring the planet, gathering different resources, building stuff, dying from different reasons.
Or a mixture of said options.

I don't care much for corporations, politics, trading and neutral/safe zones. Imagine a universe filled with different stars, planets, satellites, maybe larger asteroid rocks. There are other AI players which mostly randomly navigate through the universe looking for a fight. Some have colonized planets where they're building more warfare-related machinery to send at you.

I don't mind if the recommended games are more arcade-y than realistic. I would prefer a more abstract gameplay. Not as abstract as a spreadsheet, though. I want a map of the universe/galaxy/whatever and markers/sprites which denote my spaceships/colonies.

I've been reading up on Distant Worlds, but I still have no idea whether it's the game I'm looking for. I might try it soon, it certainly looks similar to my "demands" :)

E: It seems it requires Windows Media Player and IE11 enabled to run. Uninstalled.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:29:17 pm by dorf »

Ak-Sai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 12, 2014, 03:47:46 am »

Good day to everyone.

Please recommend me a really good card collection game. I've never played this genre before, so I want to begin my exploration from a masterpiece )

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Feed 'em please)

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 12, 2014, 04:20:21 am »

no promises for "really good games" but just throwing out some titles to checkout yourself.

blizzards hearthstone?
or infinity wars?

browser based maybe that "heroes of the realm"? http://www.kongregate.com/games/heroesoftherealm/heroes-of-the-realm
well its the usual browser "energy/resources per day" based model, but i had some fun with it for some days.
the battles are pretty neat with all the different card classes and tactics.
of course later it all goes into a "card level up grind" and "not enough resources to play it for long per day, because every battle starts to cost tons of resources to start".
i probably would have played it more if it didnt had the energy/resource browser mechanics... as i really liked the combat. oh well.

Eurylochus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 13, 2014, 10:03:09 am »

I want a game similar to Space Station 13.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 13, 2014, 10:17:04 am »

I want a game similar to Space Station 13.
In what way similar and in what way different?

There are different forms. Also, dreams.

Eurylochus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 13, 2014, 10:21:10 am »

Scratch that, is there some kind of game where I can simulate an ant colony?

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 13, 2014, 01:11:10 pm »

looking for game like heroes 3, fallen echantress, something like that where you raise your hero and your kingdom.

edit. also looking for indie game that was advertised here, dont remember the name, it was about spaceship that crash on alien planet where you have to build your base, defend yourself from aliens, something like that, and it's not Rimworld.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:24:31 pm by HARD »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 13, 2014, 01:35:11 pm »

looking for game like heroes 3, fallen echantress, something like that where you raise your hero and your kingdom.
the Age of Wonders series is quite good.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 13, 2014, 01:36:57 pm »

the "age of wonders" series?   i.e. age of wonders 2: shadow magic http://store.steampowered.com/app/61520/

no idea how good and patched up age of wonders 3 is by now. http://store.steampowered.com/app/226840/
------------------

or "endless legend"? http://store.steampowered.com/app/289130/?snr=1_5_9__300
heard people say this one is pretty interesting. (havent played this one.. doesnt work on win xp)

------------------
for something randomly different...

"distant worlds: universe" http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/
is pretty great as a space 4x "empire building". well there isnt really much planetary building at all or hero leveling.... but the maps can be really big so it feels like you build your own space empire.
still one of the best space 4x games out there that make the universe feel big and alive with stuff moving around everywhere. (transports from your private sector. and ships and stations everywhere in general)

edit: :D ninjas

edit edit:
edit. also looking for indie game that was advertised here, dont remember the name, it was about spaceship that crash on alien planet where you have to build your base, defend yourself from aliens, something like that, and it's not Rimworld.
factorio? http://www.factorio.com/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:39:41 pm by Nelia Hawk »

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 13, 2014, 01:41:48 pm »

looking for game like heroes 3
Disciples 2

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 13, 2014, 01:53:01 pm »

Okey gonna give a try for few of those, anyway so i'm looking for more 4x fantasy games.

Edit. looking for some colony simulators too.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:59:49 pm by HARD »

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 13, 2014, 02:14:36 pm »

more fantasy 4x you say?
Master of Magic - fantasy 4x O.G., is to fantasy 4x what master of orion is to space 4x and naturally made by the same developers as master of orion
Fall From Heaven 2 (Civilization 4 mod) - very neat, also spawned a lot of expanded modmods that I haven't tried

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 10, 2015, 07:37:07 am »

A request for all of you (or "all's y'alls", depending on you're from):

A turn-based tactical game (squad based, if possible), multiplayer, with some sort of persistence or campaign mode.

For example: the necromunda and mordheim tabletop games were squad skirmish games, but your guys gained experience or sustained lasting injuries.

The new Mordheim computer game might scratch this itch, but I think it is still very early in development?  Same with ShadowRun Online, it is very far from being baked.

Games like XCOM (newcom, that is) and Frozen Synapse are great, but are purely skirmish with no persistence or campaign options.

I never played JA2 in multiplayer. Was it purely skirmish?

How about Warmachine?  Playable yet?  Any campaign mode, either co-op or vs?

other ideas, either new or old?

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 10, 2015, 08:42:12 am »

Only one I can think of is UFO: The Two Sides, a free X-Com UFO Defense clone which was canceled due to copyright but is still available some places.  It has some enhancements, mainly in the UI (soldier loadouts are saved!), and in the fact that you can play multiplayer campaign with one player as the aliens.  Sadly there's no way to practice the aliens in singleplayer since the X-Com AI was never implemented.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 179