Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330826 times)

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #240 on: May 06, 2014, 11:54:32 pm »

Aha, I was specifically asking about upcoming games because I own all of those.  I own... pretty much every game with a playable dragon up to this point, excluding most of the Spyro series due to lack of interest (do own the one where you can finally fly though) and a few old ones like Drakan and them.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 07, 2014, 12:04:40 am »

Ah right, sorry I can't really help, only other one I really know of is "I of the Dragon" which came out 2004.

If you've played it, what do you think of "Divinity: Dragon Commander"?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 07, 2014, 12:14:13 am »

I loved the Spyro games. :-\
Thanks for making me all nostalgic. Yeesh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 07, 2014, 12:29:07 am »

Oh man, I of the Dragon is such a terrible game.  I've only beaten it twice, and that's using godmode, because there is one mission that's so badly coded you literally cannot beat it without being immortal.  The character you control in that level moves on the ground instead of flying, and they never actually coded the game for that, so you end up stuck inside objects or spinning in circles for 60% of the mission...

As for Dragon Commander, it's okay, but fell into the same trap as Ego Draconis... it was a little over-ambitious and a little under-achieving.  It wanted to be a mixture of RTS, 3PS, and diplomacy simulator, and ended up doing each aspect kind of okay. 

Spoiler: My thoughts (click to show/hide)

And for the ninja: Spyro is perfectly respectable as a platformer, it's just I'm not good at platformers and have never been that attracted to the genre.  Also, it annoyed me when the developers said they had absolutely no good reason for making Spyro not fly other than they didn't want to make the game that way.  They didn't even take the handwavey out of "he was a baby," as they outright said he could always fly, from game 1, they just didn't let you.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:30:45 am by Wirevix »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #244 on: May 07, 2014, 12:40:13 am »

In case you can find a playable version somewhere, or still have the old actual Xbox One (AKA- The classic XBOX), any of the Panzer Dragoon games I would recommend; Panzer Dragoon Orta was on the XBOX, and it was awesome to play through, and really showed off what that console could pull off. I wish the series was still being worked on and updated for newer machines. It's such a beautiful game.

Here's a longplay of Orta.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:42:32 am by Itnetlolor »

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 07, 2014, 12:43:42 am »

Ooh yes, I remember seeing promos for it when Orta was first coming out and wanting it so much.  Sadly I don't have a system it'll function on at the moment.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 07, 2014, 04:30:57 am »

Does someone now a simple (like Mariokart or SuperTuxKart), free (as free beer) and LAN playable racing game?
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 07, 2014, 07:00:00 am »

I'm always trying to keep on top of the list of games that involve dragons as player characters or at least very close roles to the player character (mount/companion for a significant portion of the game), so I figured I'd ask if anyone's heard of one being worked on recently.  I'm aware of Dragons and Titans (sadly MOBAs turn me off like woah), I'm keeping an eye on Dragon on Greenlight to see if it goes anywhere, and Dragons of Elanthia seems to have gone into hibernation as there's been no news since December.  Any others on the horizon that anyone's heard of?

The only real requirement is that the dragon be, well, a dragon.  A person who is ostensibly a dragon but spends the whole game in human form doesn't really satisfy me at all.

For new/in-development games, There is Antilia (Caution: MMO). Drakefire Chasm may or may not have had any development done to it recently too. Thats all I can think of for upcomming games.

Unfortunetely, Skyrim made it cool again to slay antagonistic dragons for glory-and-power so there probably isn't going to be much for a while.
No, I'm not bitter.
Not bitter at all...

Oh man, I of the Dragon is such a terrible game.  I've only beaten it twice, and that's using godmode, because there is one mission that's so badly coded you literally cannot beat it without being immortal.  The character you control in that level moves on the ground instead of flying, and they never actually coded the game for that, so you end up stuck inside objects or spinning in circles for 60% of the mission...

"Quest: Destroy all monster lairs" (yeah, I've finished it too :P). I Remember the autoaim being most infuriating thing in existance.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 07, 2014, 07:28:58 am »

Does someone now a simple (like Mariokart or SuperTuxKart), free (as free beer) and LAN playable racing game?

Have you tried the Trackmania series? They don't have powerups, though there is boost strips, but they're quite simple and you can make custom tracks. "TrackMania: Nations can be downloaded for free from their website, though whether that's got LAN or is only online through servers I don't know but a cursory look suggests it's possible.

If you can get a copy of the 1st one, there's a free download for "TrackMania: Original" which is a kind of expansion pack, upgrading the engine and adding different track environments.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #249 on: May 07, 2014, 08:11:34 am »

So, I'm looking for something in particular. I'm looking for a Roguelike that a) lets you leave the dungeon, b) lets you build up the surrounding town, c) isn't a crazy text adventure thing based on the original D&D rules, and d) isn't Azure Dreams (although I really like that game.)

How about desktop dungeons? It's roguelike'ish, in the sense that you explore dungeons, but is much more of a puzzle-like game. Lots of tactics though. You complete quests, come back, build up your town, which gives you access to more options before you enter the dungeons again and again and again. Lots of content to try out, challenge yourself with and unlock.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 07, 2014, 08:22:43 am »

Have you tried the Trackmania series? They don't have powerups, though there is boost strips, but they're quite simple and you can make custom tracks. "TrackMania: Nations can be downloaded for free from their website, though whether that's got LAN or is only online through servers I don't know but a cursory look suggests it's possible.

If you can get a copy of the 1st one, there's a free download for "TrackMania: Original" which is a kind of expansion pack, upgrading the engine and adding different track environments.
yes...that's popped up in my mind too but it's like driving alone and compare finishing times. No collision detection and such. At this point it's a bit too simple ;)

But LAN support, graphics and trackbuilding etc. is nice.

If nothing else is in secret parts of the internet then SuperTuxKart will it be in the future when they implement LAN support.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 07, 2014, 08:24:43 pm »

The only real requirement is that the dragon be, well, a dragon.  A person who is ostensibly a dragon but spends the whole game in human form doesn't really satisfy me at all.

Breath of Fire 4 has this. You do spend a lot of time as a human, but once you can go dragon, it's just SO FUN to burn every bastard you encounter to a crisp.

There's also Epic Dragon, which is really fun, where you just fly around as a dragon collecting things to earn more time and stave off the end of the world. But that's a game that you probably won't be able to play, as it requires an Oculus Rift.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 18, 2014, 11:48:37 am »

Ok hede i come with my question... do any of you people know a game that lets the player control a carrier or something similar?

Just drifting from island to island (or planet to planet) sending aircraft out to scout or attack/defend.

The closest things to it i know is X3 the AI there constantly drove the fighters into larger ships and Battlecruiser Milenium.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 18, 2014, 12:03:29 pm »

Hnn, an old Strategy game I remember called "Urban Assault"  maybe?

You played as a Mothership which floated around urban environments. You'd build units like tanks, helicopters and similar to go out and take control of resource points and attack the enemy. You could also take direct control of a unit and deal with things in a 1st person style. The game was played in a 3rd person perspective for the most part.

Looking at screenshots, battles were about taking over a map split into square grids.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 18, 2014, 12:15:02 pm »

Ok hede i come with my question... do any of you people know a game that lets the player control a carrier or something similar?

Just drifting from island to island (or planet to planet) sending aircraft out to scout or attack/defend.

The closest things to it i know is X3 the AI there constantly drove the fighters into larger ships and Battlecruiser Milenium.

Hmm, maybe you should look at carrier command?

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/65740/

Currently 80% off on the steam BI sale.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 179