Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330761 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2014, 04:23:20 pm »

Thanks for the recommendation, I've been keeping an eye here to see if anyone has other suggestions. I'll go check it out now.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2014, 04:54:09 pm »

I'm kinda suprized that WoW won't quality while you consider LotRO ok. LotRO is basically a carbon copy of WoW... also WoWs quests got streamlined around cata to be less about finding 10 zebra hooves... that drop every 10'th zebra and instead use more phasing, vehicles and related crap... of course bring me 10 x are also there and "scarecrows" are imho somewhat logically placed on the map beside terrain features so you don't have ogres standing in a homogenized group in the center of some meadow for no reason what so ever... and even then you are supposed to level up by doing quests instead of grinding out on mobs.

I think there is a graphic patch for UO called reborn or something. It looks decent imo.

You might want to try World of Wulin/Wushu... it's a decent MMO even tho noone seems to know what the hell it's about.

Mabinogi is OK if you can stomatch the graphics (ANIMU KAWAI KUSOMUSHIDESU!) and i think it has an active B12 guild... at least if you live in america/austrialia.

Anyway if i ever were to go for an MMO again i'd pick WoW... but that's just my opinion.
Mainly I don't know anything much about LotRO so I'm open to being sold on it.
I knew about the graphics update to UO, but hadn't really considered it. I should check it out again - she might think it's ok.
When I talk about scarecrows I mainly mean that you attack somebody and like 20' away there's a guy standing there just watching you slaughter his buddy. But he's cool with it as long as you don't walk within 10' of him or attack him at range.

After further reflection though, I suspect the short aggro range is mainly to keep one player or party from monopolizing the monsters in a given zone which needs to service a dozen instead. Games with long aggro range that I've seen include singleplayer (where monopolization of spawns doesn't matter), Anarchy Online (inside instances) and DDO (also inside instances).

LOTRO was better than WOW in my opinion back when it was still entirely subscription based. While it is still fun, it has since declined in quality in my books. Might still be worth a try if you're interested though, it's got a great narrative for an MMO!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2014, 12:23:26 am »

An adventure with a sense of childlike "Wow, there's so much to do! I will now embark on my epic quest!".
A game where you go on a path, whether clearly laid out or implied, but with leeway within that well crafted road.

I don't actually require as much openness as my examples might make you believe, just the sense of being on an epic quest.

Examples of the feeling: Mount & Blade, Star Control 2/The Ur-Quan Masters, Ascii Sector, Prospector RL, many a roguelike, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Knights of the Old Republic, Minecraft.
Not quite as good examples: Just Cause 2, Uplink, Solar 2, Terraria, Hegemony: Wars of Ancient Greece.

Something like a 4X, Paradox Grand Strategy, or Total War game with more direction would be swell if it exists.

Mass Effect would probably suggested, and I'll get around to that series eventually. Thank you for however briefly considering helping.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2014, 12:43:33 am »

The Gothic series, particularly Gothic 1 and 2, are kind of open world exploring with lots to do. I say kind of because monsters are the most common barrier to exploring everywhere at early levels. They're not really epic in scale, though they do focus on faction interaction. How to say, you're saving the world but it's more something you know about rather than defeating massive armies. Gothic 2 has a more visible enemy.

Might and Magic series is another lot. I would suggest starting with the 3rd and working from there. The first two are really old and not very good with their UI. Might and Magic 6-9 are the 3D ones, with interacting with puzzles in dungeons, a more coherent plot and so on. The series are rather odd though, not really that serious with occasional sci-fi elements. As for epic quest... eh it's save the world from the evil whatever usually.

Dragon Quest IX for the DS I've found to be a nice RPG. There's a lot of content within the game, exploring an overworld via foot and boat, finding items to craft weapons and armour, or hunting down metal slimes for experience.

Possibly also look at Divinity 2.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2014, 12:52:45 am »

Are there any MMO's where the group play isn't limited to endgame raids? Almost every MMO I've played recently has felt like a single player game where I occasionally see another person.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2014, 01:35:06 am »

Neverwinter has group dungeons for all levels, as well as group pvp and pve for all levels. It's expected that you'll do the dungeons as you proceed through the campaign, and it has auto-group-forming queue stuff. You can also group up and do your regular quests together, but the campaign aside from the dungeons was designed so anyone can solo it (with an NPC companion, when you get one) rather than having to group up.

I expect the MMO-must-be-soloable trend is likely because the designers don't want to miss out on a large audience of players who don't want to group up to play, or who actually want to look at what they find, explore, read the documents they pick up, etc.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2014, 02:54:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sid Meier's Pirates reminded me about Space Rangers. I've only played Space Rangers 2, but it might fit in. You might like it, might not. It has a few flaws, but what game doesn't? You're a space ranger, evil killer robots are on the loose. Kill them! Or trade, do piracy and just mess around in the moderately sized galaxy with its various races and factions.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2014, 12:26:27 pm »

Do sandbox/open world fps games exist?

Far cry 2 and 3 and just cause 2

That tiny list is all I can think of. At least more than pve sandbox MMOs...there isn't barely any of those either. Just death match PvP mmo clones.

But having a very hard time finding open world fps games that are single player. Mmo fps games are death match clones so none of those. Any help? Only can find 3 lol...I am good with older games too BTW, but not too far beyond far cry 2. Far cry 1 was OK, but not as good as 2 or 3. Crysis is too linear.

Far cry 2 and just cause 2 are my favorites. Far cry 3 was great but not as much.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:29:22 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

doolydeath1

• Bay Watcher
  • (::0-0:: )
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2014, 03:58:37 am »

Looking for a rogue like that is less focused on combat and more focused on roleplaying..

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2014, 10:00:35 am »

Far cry 2 and 3 and just cause 2

That tiny list is all I can think of.
the first STALKER game is fairly sandbox.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2014, 10:41:56 am »

ARMA

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2014, 10:47:03 am »

Looking for a rogue like that is less focused on combat and more focused on roleplaying..
Define roleplaying.
Sandbox/do whatever you want type of game? Try Elona+ or maybe Prospector.
Storytelling? ToME maybe, since you have quests and lots of lore.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2014, 12:27:55 pm »

I'm looking for a Space Sim to occupy me until the Space Sim resurgence coming in the future. I'd prefer something a bit more modern, but a little less dry than the X series preferably.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2014, 12:56:11 pm »

Ring Runner's on sale on Steam, though it's fairly arcadey and shooty. Nice game though - the intro story is too long, but once you get into the game proper you get lots of customisation.

There's Starsector, the tactical top-down spaceshippewpew game, which I hear has a somewhat working sandbox mode rather than just fights.

And there's also Starshatter, which is a proper simulation (and also, free!). You can fly anything from fighters to bombers to destroyers, cruisers and carriers, in space. Needless to say, the larger the ship you are flying, the more tactical and less shooty things become. It's a kickass game if you can get into it.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2014, 09:11:45 am »

Any Elder Scrolls game? Plot is purely optional there (well, if I remember correctly, in Daggerfall you have timelimit for first quest, but other than that nothing). Also Fallout 3 + NV. The only thing is they aren't that challenging if you know what are you doing.
I see you have BG2 there, so Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights. Not that much non-linear (NWN that is), but pretty nice RPGs overall (also focused more on combat than plot, unlike BG2).

The problem is that I can't for the love of god remember any really challenging RPGs. Maybe roguelikes, but some people would crucify me for inserting roguelikes as RPG subgenre.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 179