Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330771 times)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2014, 08:13:58 pm »

I'm thinking more along the Dark Cloud style of game - RPG but with a town building element. Though the addition of Suikoden style hero recruitment would be great.

Oh man, Dark Cloud was great.  I'm not much of a console player, but let me take a quick shot: 

Have you tried _Beyond Good and Evil_ or _Heroes of a Broken Land_  ? 

There was also some weird game I think I saw on steam early access or greenlight or something, cant remember all the details... buy it was a weird post apocalyptic procedurally generated game.  it had a top down world map, and a side scrolling action portion.  and some sort of community / town building mechanic.
It wasn't Greenlight or early access, but it sounds like you're describing A Valley Without Wind. It fits the bill but is hard for me to recommend, it's a very weird game that most people probably won't like. The sequel is more approachable, but if I remember correctly has much less of the town building parts to it.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2014, 08:23:03 pm »

There was an old game where you were a scrawny guy with a sword and tried to built up a town, then enemies attacked, then you'd build up some more. It was great fun, but I never got past a few days. Can't remember the name for the life of me though. Sounds like it could be something you'd like to try!

Ooh, skinny guy with a sword!  I dont think it was Hinterland, there was this older game with some awful cutscenes... you were given some piece of land and told to tame it an improve it, you had to balance building town defenses and economic / agricultural improvements in between attacking waves of goblins or demons or something.  It was super hard.

I think the monsters were mostly red in color, cartooney, and went splat when you killed them.  Man, what was it called?  "Goblins" or something like that... Edit:  "The Horde!"

And yes, A Valley Without Wind is what I was thinking of.  sorry to hear it isnt much good.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:24:39 pm by puke »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2014, 12:02:34 am »

Can someone reccomend me a free shooter game? It can be third or first person but shouldn't be too graphically demanding (Also no Planetside 2 or Ghost Recon). It doesn't have to be fast-paced but it should be enjoyable. Sorry if this is a bit vague.

Have you tried TF2? I've sunk many hours into it. Free to play, great fun, no pay to win.

I'm looking for a RPG with some level of hero recruiting and city building/base expansion component - similar to the Suikoden or Dark Cloud series I guess. Any platform, no Dwarf Fortress suggestions! ;)

Have you tried some of these tactical RPGs?
Mount & Blade: warband
Jagged Alliance 2
valkyria chronicles

Or are you looking for more city management?
Perhaps the Majesty series?

Thanks for the suggestions, but those don't really fit the requirements (though are all awesome games).

I'm thinking more along the Dark Cloud style of game - RPG but with a town building element. Though the addition of Suikoden style hero recruitment would be great.

There's Actraiser, but that's a platformer and not an RPG.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2014, 10:41:20 am »

I think the monsters were mostly red in color, cartooney, and went splat when you killed them.  Man, what was it called?  "Goblins" or something like that... Edit:  "The Horde!"

That's the one! Cheers! :)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2014, 08:20:43 pm »

Please recommend me an MMORPG.

1: I'm playing with my girlfriend and we should be able to party up with other players and do stuff in a meaningful way.
2: I expect it to be a client download. If you recommend a browser game, it needs to be more like a standard MMO than KOL, Travian, Therian, etc.
3: I don't want irredeemably stupid shit to happen constantly. For example,
3A: If I walk past a monster it shouldn't just ignore me until I attack it. The AI sensing range on the Elder Scrolls Online beta made me cringe so hard I broke a tooth.
3B: I don't want a backpack full of items that I need to keep for quest rewards, crafting, etc. If I do a thing, I want to either get the reward for the thing or else not, whatever. Don't make me collect 20 Hog Eyes or whatever for damn near every quest.
3C: I don't want the game to be just fields of scarecrow monsters standing around and you level up so you can get to the next field.
3D: Too much mindless running. If you think a feature to hold down the run button so you can go make a sammich would be a good idea, there's too much space between fun things. 
4: I have a lot of tolerance for dated graphics, but my girlfriend doesn't want to play something that's totally pixelated. She's seen UO and was uninterested in those graphics.
5: I'd prefer to subscribe and get access to the whole game rather than micropaying to death in a cash shop. Or pay for the game but nothing after that, like Guild Wars. If the cash shop is the only option, I don't want to be paying any more than $10 a month to get access to all the content.
6: I would really like to have an active combat system with FPS-style WASD + Mouselook movement.

Here's a list of MMOs that don't qualify:
WoW (stupid fetch quests, pointless collection, fields of scarecrows)
TESO (looks like fields of scarecrows)
DDO (too much collecting, client actually doesn't work with my machine reliably for some reason)
EQ (scarecrow fields as far as the eye can see, lots of running)
UO (GF won't like the graphics)
Anarchy Online (dated graphics, scarecrow fields in the overworld, LOTS of mindless running)
SW:TOR (special mention for horrible dialogue - seriously telling me the whole game is fully voice acted is NOT sweetening this deal. Also, client didn't work on my machine reliably)

If you disagree with my complaints about some of the specific games I've mentioned please speak up - but maybe you just don't mind those features, which isn't the same as me being wrong that the feature exists.

Here are some that I might like - do you think they might fit what I want?
Guild Wars 2
LotR Online
FF14
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2014, 08:52:45 pm »

I'm kinda suprized that WoW won't quality while you consider LotRO ok. LotRO is basically a carbon copy of WoW... also WoWs quests got streamlined around cata to be less about finding 10 zebra hooves... that drop every 10'th zebra and instead use more phasing, vehicles and related crap... of course bring me 10 x are also there and "scarecrows" are imho somewhat logically placed on the map beside terrain features so you don't have ogres standing in a homogenized group in the center of some meadow for no reason what so ever... and even then you are supposed to level up by doing quests instead of grinding out on mobs.

I think there is a graphic patch for UO called reborn or something. It looks decent imo.

You might want to try World of Wulin/Wushu... it's a decent MMO even tho noone seems to know what the hell it's about.

Mabinogi is OK if you can stomatch the graphics (ANIMU KAWAI KUSOMUSHIDESU!) and i think it has an active B12 guild... at least if you live in america/austrialia.

Anyway if i ever were to go for an MMO again i'd pick WoW... but that's just my opinion.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2014, 10:03:05 pm »

Hmm. For the life of me, I cannot find a game of this caliber: A game of spaceships with wonderful destruction and design physics. In other words, the ability to design a spaceship, and blow up other ones, with great physics of their destruction. Story doesn't matter, nor does any other gameplay; rather, I just want to blow things up.

BSF. 2D but a classic. It'll give you hours of enjoyment.

3D? Well... starmade to some extent, other than that you might want freelancer or something.

EDIT: BSF = BattleShips Forever
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2014, 10:03:30 pm »

Hmm. For the life of me, I cannot find a game of this caliber: A game of spaceships with wonderful destruction and design physics. In other words, the ability to design a spaceship, and blow up other ones, with great physics of their destruction. Story doesn't matter, nor does any other gameplay; rather, I just want to blow things up.

Space Engineers? Its a block-building game with spaceships and the ability to do stuff like ram holes into other ships, sever ships in half etc.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2014, 10:42:35 pm »

I'm kinda suprized that WoW won't quality while you consider LotRO ok. LotRO is basically a carbon copy of WoW... also WoWs quests got streamlined around cata to be less about finding 10 zebra hooves... that drop every 10'th zebra and instead use more phasing, vehicles and related crap... of course bring me 10 x are also there and "scarecrows" are imho somewhat logically placed on the map beside terrain features so you don't have ogres standing in a homogenized group in the center of some meadow for no reason what so ever... and even then you are supposed to level up by doing quests instead of grinding out on mobs.

I think there is a graphic patch for UO called reborn or something. It looks decent imo.

You might want to try World of Wulin/Wushu... it's a decent MMO even tho noone seems to know what the hell it's about.

Mabinogi is OK if you can stomatch the graphics (ANIMU KAWAI KUSOMUSHIDESU!) and i think it has an active B12 guild... at least if you live in america/austrialia.

Anyway if i ever were to go for an MMO again i'd pick WoW... but that's just my opinion.
Mainly I don't know anything much about LotRO so I'm open to being sold on it.
I knew about the graphics update to UO, but hadn't really considered it. I should check it out again - she might think it's ok.
When I talk about scarecrows I mainly mean that you attack somebody and like 20' away there's a guy standing there just watching you slaughter his buddy. But he's cool with it as long as you don't walk within 10' of him or attack him at range.

After further reflection though, I suspect the short aggro range is mainly to keep one player or party from monopolizing the monsters in a given zone which needs to service a dozen instead. Games with long aggro range that I've seen include singleplayer (where monopolization of spawns doesn't matter), Anarchy Online (inside instances) and DDO (also inside instances).
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2014, 12:42:45 am »

1: I'm playing with my girlfriend and we should be able to party up with other players and do stuff in a meaningful way.
5: I'd prefer to subscribe and get access to the whole game rather than micropaying to death in a cash shop. Or pay for the game but nothing after that, like Guild Wars. If the cash shop is the only option, I don't want to be paying any more than $10 a month to get access to all the content.
6: I would really like to have an active combat system with FPS-style WASD + Mouselook movement.

Here are some that I might like - do you think they might fit what I want?
Guild Wars 2

Disclaimer: Been playing GW2 since beta. Having said that, it pretty much hits all your requirements.

Regarding 1: Kind of iffy on the grounds that most of the playerbase has matured, so there's not too much in the way of cruising around randomly. It's mostly running instances or farming world events. There's level downscaling, so if one of you is overlevelled, it's still moderately entertaining. (Though you might want to wear lower level equipment too-- a max level, max gear character will still stomp low level zones.)
Regarding 5: The cash shop is mostly a mix of cosmetic and quality of life. QoL includes extra bank tabs, bag slots, infinite harvesting tools, etc. (Note: There was a minute amount of powercreep on a single harvesting tool that a vocal portion of the population fears is the start of a slippery slope.) There is a gamemoney->cashshop conversion, but it's pretty steep for newcomers. At present, you're looking at maybe an hour of basic farming for 1$ worth of cash shop currency.
Regarding 6: I think that's how everybody plays, unless you're on a gamepad. There's also evading-- a lot of long range projectiles, you can just walk away from them before they land. Also the 'dodge', er, keypress which renders you invulnerable to a lot of different attacks.

A big thing is that GW2 uses what they call the 'living story' system for updates. Instead of major updates every few months, there are things that happen on a 2-week schedule; we just finished a major story arc that started over a year ago. The practical result of this is that there's always going to be new stuff to see (however minor-- or major) and that if you sit out a few weeks, you might miss some limited-edition skins.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2014, 03:08:02 pm »

That sounds cool, but after watching a bunch of GW2 gameplay it looks like the aggro pull range is like 15'. Which is a bummer, but like I indicated earlier I think this is one thing I'm just gonna have to live with because it's a design decision made in non-instanced games.

Also I looked into the UO:Kingdom Reborn client and the graphics look like ass. They look muddy and gross and not at all what I was hoping for. Also there's this disconnect between the animations being nicer but the underlying engine is the same. I think the old lower-rez client is vastly superior. I showed the new client to the GF and she said that it looked pretty bad.

Then again I watched some gameplay of the old client too and had some nice nostalgic memories about how stuff was - but there was a lot of weird stuff that I accepted back then that's fresh and obvious now.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2014, 03:59:58 pm »

One thing you may want to check out is cube world. It may now have the mmo thousand players per server, but I looks nice, has crafting, and will have at some point have a have player per server cap. But right now it is still in alpha, so you may want to wait. The other is what about dos mmos? Planetside 2 plays fairly well and if you have the machine to play it can look amazing.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2014, 04:22:38 pm »

Besides windows solitaire, this girl hasn't played video games before. She managed to get into DDO, and surprised me on how quickly she learned how to play a "real" video game, but she's still not much on PvP. Then again she still has a high from her one and only duel with a kid in a tavern which she won handily, so maybe I can get her hooked. I think something as rough and tumble as PS2 may be a bit much for her at first. I'm hoping to find an MMO that has consensual or regional PvP to ease her into it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2014, 12:25:32 pm »

I'm looking for a shooter with an art style similar to Battlefield Heroes, Team Fortress 2 and Loadout. Sorry if this is vague.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2014, 12:45:11 pm »

I'm a bit late, but I just remembered Mortal Online. I haven't played it but it seems a lot like what you're looking for.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 179