Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330711 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2013, 08:06:23 am »

You could try Little Fighter 2 if you want something simple and free (it's for the PC by the way).
In SP it's just a brawler but has MANY settings to play with and can be even made into a full blown battle with tens of characters beating each other on the screen at once.

The characters have combos that are easy to memorize (and usually about 4 skills that can often be linked with each other to form combos).

It's pretty neat for a free game... as long as you can get over the chibi anime characters.
I love Little Fighter 2, but unfortunately, it doesn't qualify as a fighting game. It's a beat 'em up.

Fighting games are usually two people duking it out on one screen. They are typified by Street Fighter II.

Beat 'em ups are usually sidescrolling with several directions and have lots of enemies on screen. They are typified by Double Dragon.

That's the fun thing about LF2. you can set it up to work as a fighting game with 1 on 1 combat.
There is even one (literal) arena that's not scrolling.
If not for that feature i wouldn't mention it.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2013, 09:13:35 am »

You could try Little Fighter 2 if you want something simple and free (it's for the PC by the way).
In SP it's just a brawler but has MANY settings to play with and can be even made into a full blown battle with tens of characters beating each other on the screen at once.

The characters have combos that are easy to memorize (and usually about 4 skills that can often be linked with each other to form combos).

It's pretty neat for a free game... as long as you can get over the chibi anime characters.
I love Little Fighter 2, but unfortunately, it doesn't qualify as a fighting game. It's a beat 'em up.

Fighting games are usually two people duking it out on one screen. They are typified by Street Fighter II.

Beat 'em ups are usually sidescrolling with several directions and have lots of enemies on screen. They are typified by Double Dragon.

That's the fun thing about LF2. you can set it up to work as a fighting game with 1 on 1 combat.
There is even one (literal) arena that's not scrolling.
If not for that feature i wouldn't mention it.

The developer of LF2 has unfortunately updated it. It has lame rock music playing over the entire thing that I haven't figured out how to turn off, and it lags like crazy whereas the old version never did.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Ak-Sai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2013, 11:22:44 am »

Can anyone suggest a game that would feel like "Brigandine: Legend of Forsena" (or "Brigandine: Grand edition") ? For PC, PS-one, PS-two.

"Brigandine" is rather old PS one game, which contains a good mixture of TBS, tactical RPG (with the ability to improve heroes and  monsters of your army) and, last but not least - good storyline.

I've played Disgaea: hour of darkness (if I remember the title right), but it was not quite that, I've been looking for.

Thanks in advance for helping.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 02:01:36 pm by Ak-Sai »
Feed 'em please)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2013, 11:52:24 pm »

Some of you earlier were looking for other RPG type games. I've recently found and been playing a series of old RPG's called the Gold Box series, made by a company called SSI. There's quite a few in the series, covering Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, one based on Spelljammer and also Buck Rogers.

I've been playing through the first one made "Pool of Radiance" and so far it's quite fun. The combat takes place on a turn based grid while exploring is in the faux first person mode like in Might and Magic. Controls are not exactly the best, but they're not overly complicated just the usual slightly laboriousness when it comes to a keyboard driven interface (Swapping items and memorising spells are two things I've gotten annoyed at so far).

There's a slight problem of finding them, but Abandonia seems to have them there since they're not being sold anywhere else. There's a number of peripheral PDFs needed (a code wheel and journal/manual) for various moments in game, as any extensive information is given within the manual (The guard recounts his tale. You record it as Journal Entry 20).

It's all based on 1st Edition DnD (as far as I'm aware) so there are some oddities like thieves not being able to use short bows, the only classes in "Pool of Radiance" are Fighter, Mage, Cleric and Thief (Also multiclass mixes of those) and money, rather oddly, is broken down into five different denominations (Platinum, Gold, Electrum, Silver and Copper) when really only gold is used in game.

Anyway, despite their age ("Pool of Radiance" came out in 1988, you'll need to run it through Dosbox), I'm having fun and would recommend them to those looking for some more RPGs to play through.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2013, 12:29:06 am »

Can anyone suggest a game that would feel like "Brigandine: Legend of Forsena" (or "Brigandine: Grand edition") ? For PC, PS-one, PS-two.

"Brigandine" is rather old PS one game, which contains a good mixture of TBS, tactical RPG (with the ability to improve heroes and  monsters of your army) and, last but not least - good storyline.

I've played Disgaea: hour of darkness (if I remember the title right), but it was not quite that, I've been looking for.

Thanks in advance for helping.

Tactics Ogre, or Final Fantasy Tactics.  The two are very similar but both are classics.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2014, 08:28:56 pm »

1: Isometric multiplayer rpg/adventure
I want something that's isometric like Jagged Alliance or Project Zomboid or X-Com, Shadowrun (SNES), but not any of those, that's a fantasy, cyberpunk, something like that.

I like pixel art, so I'd be happy with that if you suggested it. But higher-res art is fine. I enjoyed Fallout 1 and 2, but they were very "flat" and I felt like the hexes detracted from the very square-grid-based vibe I'm going for. I'd ideally be able to climb a wall and get onto a roof and enter a window as an alternative to going in the front door.

Needs to be any kind of multiplayer, even just server-side hosted or LAN.

I understand Shadowrun Returns just recently went DRM-Free on GOG.com so I'll be picking that up sometime. But from what I've heard it's VERY LINEAR and will rely on community development to be really fun. And also strictly single-player which means I can't get my girlfriend to play too.

2. FPS multiplayer rpg/adventure
Now, if you can't think of a pixel-based thing that does this, I'd do an FPS, but consider my tastes as someone who really enjoyed Deus Ex 1, hated Deus Ex 2, and thought Deus Ex 3 was a good step in the right direction. I want gameplay, good solid-ass gameplay, like Thief or System Shock, with STALKER an honorable mention. I wanna find secrets galore, I want six ways to enter the enemy fortress, I want to be able to play the game in ways the developer didn't expect. If I wanted Halo I would just play Halo.

So any ideas? I really ideally want a game that the two of us can fire up and have fun taking down monsters, stealing treasure, swindling NPCs, helping each other out, exploring and showing each other cool stuff, and generally just rockin' dat game world.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2014, 08:48:19 pm »

1: Isometric multiplayer rpg/adventure

In regards to your first search, I just read about Divinity: Orihinal Sin. A two-player co-op isometric turn based RPG. Focus seems to be on world interactivity and multiple ways to accomplish a goal. (Apparently there is always a way to complete a quest, even if you kill the quest-giver) It's also been designed with 2 players in mind, so it'd be perfect for you and a friend to fire up.

caveat: I haven't played it, and it's in early access, so please take this recommendation with a pinch of salt. It just sounded like something you were looking for!

Hands on Article from RPS:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/09/hands-on-divinity-original-sin-2/#more-179385

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2014, 08:52:43 pm »

The combination of your needs and wants are particularly hard to satisfy.

Your requirement of isometric and MP is problematic, or FPS and the kinds of games you mentioned. Not many MP games have the level of openness you're going to find in Stalker. An RPG/FPS the caliber of Deus Ex that is also MP is a tough requirement to fill. Not many good isometric RPGs are also MP. If there was an amazing, non-ARPG isometric MP RPG out there, chances are I'd be all over it.

The only thing that comes to mind out of any of those suggestions is Borderlands 2, and that's not even close to Deus Ex. I'd recommend Dragon Age as a higher rez quasi-isometric RPG, but it's not MP.

Maybe look into Neverwinter Nights of some flavor. There are some decent modules out there and it can most definitely be MP. Unfortunately, I hate the systems it's based on and NWN 2 felt very flat to me. Still, there were some badass persistent world servers out there with NWN1.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/09/hands-on-divinity-original-sin-2/#more-179385

Huh, that does sound pretty close to what's he's asking for.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2014, 11:18:17 pm »

Sounds pretty good. It's unfortunate that they chose a name that reminds me of a cheap Korean MMO or shareware from 1992. I'll definitely pick it up as soon as it's less than $30. Thanks for the tip!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2014, 11:37:54 pm »

Recommend fighting games that are good with friends. Any console goes! Try to not be too obvious. My experience (over 50 hours each) is mostly with Soul Calibur III and Tekken 2 but I've played many fighting games over the years.

Just two criteria:
  • Doesn't have bulls**t juggles or combos (e.g. when your opponent takes half your health off and you can't react because you're in mid-air) like Tekken.
  • Not too slow, like Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution. Which would be my favourite fighting game as it's so meticulously well-made, but it's just a drag. It could be the fact I'm in the PAL region that's causing this, though.
Ever played Tobal? It's from a long while back, but it was pretty neat back then.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2014, 11:45:13 pm »

OK so how about this: co-op Deus Ex or Morrowind game equivalent. Anything at all like that?

EDIT: We currently play DDO. I looked at Neverwinter and it looks like DDO except a more basic fantasy tone, ridiculously long fights with no payoff, the tiny number of dungeons are monotonous / uninspiring / lack secrets / are too long, even more vidjagamey sweet powerz and stuff that everyone does (Devoted Cleric throws spears of lulz), horrible 4E D&D naming conventions, a huge hub that similarly takes forever to walk across, and adds queue times and daily limits on dungeons.

If we move away from DDO I kinda want it to be more like D&D rather than more like a video game, but I can't really describe that in a way that won't make it sound like Dark Souls, which looks stupid because it's monotonous, uninspiring, lacks secrets, and lacks any kind of agility or fluidity. And I just now realized after referring to the Neverwinter wiki that NW is an MMO of 4E D&D, which was a tabletop-ization of MMOs, which were a computerization of D&D. The snake is gagging on its own tail and Neverwinter is the bloody bile that's covering the floor. 

Anyway. If we got into the game that would be ideal for me we'd be here all day and the answer would be You Will Never Find That Despite It Rocking Hard.

So: Looking for a co-op that's similar to Deus Ex or Morrowind/Skyrim.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:25:03 am by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2014, 04:04:00 am »

OK so how about this: co-op Deus Ex or Morrowind game equivalent. Anything at all like that?

EDIT: We currently play DDO. I looked at Neverwinter and it looks like DDO except a more basic fantasy tone, ridiculously long fights with no payoff, the tiny number of dungeons are monotonous / uninspiring / lack secrets / are too long, even more vidjagamey sweet powerz and stuff that everyone does (Devoted Cleric throws spears of lulz), horrible 4E D&D naming conventions, a huge hub that similarly takes forever to walk across, and adds queue times and daily limits on dungeons.

If we move away from DDO I kinda want it to be more like D&D rather than more like a video game, but I can't really describe that in a way that won't make it sound like Dark Souls, which looks stupid because it's monotonous, uninspiring, lacks secrets, and lacks any kind of agility or fluidity. And I just now realized after referring to the Neverwinter wiki that NW is an MMO of 4E D&D, which was a tabletop-ization of MMOs, which were a computerization of D&D. The snake is gagging on its own tail and Neverwinter is the bloody bile that's covering the floor. 

Anyway. If we got into the game that would be ideal for me we'd be here all day and the answer would be You Will Never Find That Despite It Rocking Hard.

So: Looking for a co-op that's similar to Deus Ex or Morrowind/Skyrim.

im pretty shure nenjin was referring to neverwinter NIGHTS not the mmo >.>, it is a real dick move they did to name the mmo like they did.
immortal is never dieing so that sucks lol

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2014, 04:22:54 am »

If you read about the history behind Turbine and their lawsuit with Atari over Neverwinter to protect their IP on Dungeons and Dragons as an MMO, you'll understand a lot of the story behind this. I posted a summary of that story in this forum awhile back. [link]

In regards to DDO, I played that one awhile too. I lost interest about the time they launched Menace of the Underdark and Warner Bros. turned the whole thing into a microtransaction grinding machine. I even deleted my 5 times TRed character.

Honestly the only experience I've found close to the joy I used to get from DDO has been actual tabletop gaming using the 3.5e rules. Sadly there's been no online equivalent I've found yet.

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2014, 11:43:47 am »

i wasent meaning about the companies, i meant about the player and modder communities. since ppl will obvisly think others are referring to the mmo even when there not
immortal is never dieing so that sucks lol

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2014, 12:07:58 pm »

Yeah, I was talking the non-MMO NWN.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 179