Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330669 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2013, 08:14:44 pm »

I want a game that appeals to my inner pyromaniac. Something with gorgeous, realistic fire physics and animations. A firefighting RPG/puzzle game would be ideal, but anything with lots of pretty fire would be excellent.
Have you tried little inferno?
The 2d graphics and cartoon style didn't do it for me. But yes, that seems to be the only game about burning things on the market right now.

Dusky

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of the cult of the Blessed Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2013, 09:39:53 pm »

Can anyone recommend a Grand Strategy game that isn't made by Paradox, cause i'm starting to get bored of the way they make em' now

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2013, 09:53:15 pm »

Can anyone recommend a Grand Strategy game that isn't made by Paradox, cause i'm starting to get bored of the way they make em' now
Rome: Total War, by Creative Assembly. Try it, vanilla, then try it with one of many excellent mods to enhance both historical accuracy, difficulty, and balance. It's a (relatively by default) accurate simulation of tactics and strategy in the Ancient European field.

Dusky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2013, 09:56:44 pm »

Rome: Total War, by Creative Assembly. Try it, vanilla, then try it with one of many excellent mods to enhance both historical accuracy, difficulty, and balance. It's a (relatively by default) accurate simulation of tactics and strategy in the Ancient European field.
[/quote]

Let me rephrase what i said then, a real-time Grand Strategy that isn't made by Paradox
(also i personally don't consider the Total War games Grand Strategy)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2013, 10:04:34 pm »

Let me rephrase what i said then, a real-time Grand Strategy that isn't made by Paradox
(also i personally don't consider the Total War games Grand Strategy)[/quote]
[/quote]
Isn't it not a Paradox title? I'm not all too familiar with them and what they worked on. And what do you mean by Grand Strategy, then?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2013, 10:04:59 pm »

What exactly do you mean by Grand Strategy?  Something like Imperialism 1 or 2?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2013, 10:06:00 pm »

I'm looking for really good bullet hell games that are not Touhou.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dusky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2013, 10:11:10 pm »

Isn't it not a Paradox title? I'm not all too familiar with them and what they worked on. And what do you mean by Grand Strategy, then?
Well i see the Total War games as a mix between 4X on the campaign map and RTS in the battles and i'm looking for something more similar to Europa Universalis, or Crusader Kings (With less emphasis on the Dynastic stuff) but not by Paradox

Haven't heard of them i'll check what they are

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2013, 10:17:34 pm »

Not really my genre of things, but until someone with better exposure to the stuff chimes in the TVTropes page has a pretty sizable list, at least, of the things. Just in case you hadn't gotten around to checking it yet, heh. Cross referencing with reviews or whatnot might help pick out the gems if you've got time to sift.

Also, have someone random's top ten list.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2013, 01:47:32 am »

I got one! Give Warning Forever a try. It's pretty much a single boss battle bullethell with near infinite bosses that respawn towards how you killed them.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2013, 02:04:30 am »

Well i see the Total War games as a mix between 4X on the campaign map and RTS in the battles and i'm looking for something more similar to Europa Universalis, or Crusader Kings (With less emphasis on the Dynastic stuff) but not by Paradox

Haven't heard of them i'll check what they are

The Making History games used to be fun WWII grand strategy games, and last I checked they were making a WWI one as well.

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2013, 07:37:47 am »

Anyone tried Supreme Ruler 1936 ??

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2013, 07:40:33 am »

Can anyone recommend me a good Settlers-style game other than Knights & Merchants, Stronghold and DF?

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2013, 07:49:18 am »

Can anyone recommend me a good Settlers-style game other than Knights & Merchants, Stronghold and DF?
Not per se Settlers-like, but the Anno series (e.g. Anno 1701) may be something that could suit you.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2013, 08:07:31 am »

"Cultures" 1 and 2 are like a cross of "Settlers 3-4" and DF where you have to lead a clan of vikings to prosperity.
There's also "Alien Nations" worth checking out.

And if you want to check out some real antiques then somewhere deep in the internet you might find "Enemy Nations" (a cross of C&C and Settlers if you can believe it AND the game that made me realize why people bash their heads over oil so much).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:09:46 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 179