Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 174500 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [WARLOCK] - Day 26 - Beta V0.6 - Water and Magma Spawning
« Reply #1020 on: January 28, 2014, 07:32:30 pm »

Correct. So if you train a skeleton to be a mechanic, it might turn up red. Just like dwarves.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 29, 2014, 05:08:40 am »

Okay, I thought this might be moddable.

I kinda liked it that I was able to easily see who is a skeleton/ghoul/warlock in the unit screen

saintclair

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Boxing Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 29, 2014, 03:38:46 pm »

I don't know if it's welcome here, but I've played about 25 hours of the beta over the past week and I have some bugs/misunderstandings to report.

Mod version: 0.6 beta, reported as masterwork 0.4h
Tileset: Whichever tileset is active upon default. I just downloaded and pressed go.

• After having one of my warlocks drained of blood by a vampire I had at embark (thanks to forgetting to produce blood), I built a blood winery, producing blood wine. However, next season, another warlock is found dead. I queued up a job to brew blood wine in manager screen, and noticed "Drink blood wine to sate thirst for 3 months." I could not find this in any building, though I did not build the vampiric lair. The manual does not make mention that the vampires will not automatically drink the blood wine if it is available. If this is not a bug, I recommend a side note in the manual saying so.
  • I was having issues with ambushing elves, so what I resorted to doing was building a great number of cage traps, and decided to build a kill room. After designating an overlord and sending another warlock with him, I released a naked elf to be killed. After doing so, a ghoul dragged him off to be butchered. A soul was produced, but no warlock characteristically rushed to store it in an hourglass. I could, however, consume the soul straight off.
  • In the manual, it is listed that "living stone" can be butchered for meat. However, I was unable to obtain any dropped rocks of living stone, only pools of blood. Though the blood is helpful, I think the manual was slightly incorrect, as the kitchen itself did not have an option to butcher the living stone.
  • I don't know if this can be fixed, but I had several instances where warlocks would marry ghouls. Quite disturbing.
  • Are barghests supposed to be able to reproduce? I took males and females at embark, but over the course of a year and a half they never managed to produce pups(?)
  • Minions occasionally do not show up in the z-animals list. They will sometimes, then they spontaneously will not.
  • This may be due to my relative inexperience with dwarf fortress itself (I have only been playing for about 3 months, and this always has confused me), but no matter what I do, my ghouls that are assigned to hunt won't do it. I understand that in the base game you need to give a dwarf a ranged weapon to do it, but to my knowledge, ghouls cannot use them. So they won't hunt.
  • (Possible basegame bug, possible error between seat and keyboard): During my killroom jaunt, I at first tried to unassign the captives from their cages to a pen in the room itself. No one would ever come to reassign the elves, however when I tried with rhesus macaques, it worked one time, then not ever afterwards.

There were also a few random in-game crash bugs:
All of these games have been done on the pre-gen map "Gears of War" with less than 50 years of history. Always embarking on the outer rim, usually heavily forested, thick vegetation, temperate to warm climate, with a river right there.

• I had to start a game, and then save to go do something else right afterward. I hadn't played 60 seconds. Upon trying to load, it crashed constantly. Don't have any more details.
  • Upon new embark on a map with some kind of branching river delta heading north, I had a sudden crash.

Again, I'd like to reiterate that I'm no expert on DF, and even less so on masterwork DF, but this is just some playtesting that I've done because it looks like a fantastic addition, and I'd like to help in the ways that I can.

I will take more tedious notes of what maps I embark on for crashes.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:48:43 pm by saintclair »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 29, 2014, 03:47:24 pm »

Vampires will favor sleepers if they're closest. I had a ghoul drained (as he was the only one asleep,) when we had plenty of bloodwine when the vampire got thirsty just because the ghoul was closer.  Any vampires should probably be cured if possible or have their own accommodations and jobs to do on the opposite side of the dungeon's drink storage.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 29, 2014, 05:45:47 pm »

@saintclair:

In order:

Workers of any race typically choose the closest available food/drink, regardless of their preferences or your convenience. I've been remedying this issue by burrowing vampires away from the dormitories/bedrooms, perhaps you can try something similar?

Are you sure you had hourglasses to spare? I'm pretty sure hourglasses get destroyed in the creation of phylacteries, which would necessitate constant production.

Living stone has been bugged for a while, just ignore it.

"Gender-neutral" citizens apparently choose a gender on world-gen, just accept the marriages as proof that warlocks are depraved and move on. (Bonus, sometimes the lovely couples will have children somehow.)

No idea, they might just have a long incubation period.

Did they die? You don't get another one if they die.

Hunting requires the use of a ranged weapon, which ghouls cannot use effectively by design. What you're supposed to do is assign all of your "hunters" to a military squad, then you issue a squad order to make the "hunters" kill a target. More/better information at the wiki, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Squad (Make sure to set standing orders to gather remains from outside, or this will be useless to you. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Standing_orders)

I think animal hauling is a low-priority job, I suggest making a few skeletons or ghouls just for hauling.

"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

saintclair

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Boxing Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: January 29, 2014, 07:06:08 pm »

@LMeire:

Okay, so it's just a mechanics issue and my oversight for the vampires.

For the souls issue, I'm 100% sure I had hourglasses to spare. I intentionally made around 20 for the slaughtering of the elves, and they were in a stockpile that had worked before. I'll try to replicate it.

As for the marriages, I didn't know if that was supposed to be disabled. Still, gross.

I'll try to see if the barghests will ever reproduce.

For the hunting, I figured as much. I'll take note.

My apologies for turning what was supposed to be some bug reporting into a "new player can't figure out the quirks of DF" post. :P

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 29, 2014, 08:24:35 pm »

Warlock marriage was supposed to be disabled, it's just that it didn't work.

In any case, don't worry about it. About a third of those things actually are bugs rather than intended quirks, and most of the others are totally new.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:28:34 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 30, 2014, 08:04:09 am »

I am saddened that not giving genders fails to disable marriage. This leave me a bit confused as to the effect of the NO_GENDER token, as not giving gender would be the same effect.

I'll assume marriage and kidsignore tokens, like a lot of citizen mechanics. I wish the citizen code was more supple.

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: January 30, 2014, 04:24:41 pm »

Vampires are worth their occasional cost of ghouls and other warlocks :). I just had a bad tower where nothing I could hunt showed up until I got an ambush of 3 goblin squads. They ripped thru my ghouls, mephits, then my poorly trained skeletons, and finally my last stand was with my 1 vampire and 4 witches. The witches fell quickly but that vampiress last to the very very long end shooting Slade and punching what she could while being beat by flails.

She had all but two dead when finally finished.

I think my embark was off. I thought I was in a high savage place, but I only saw giant hornets to hunt. I had one zombie from the graveyard that did nothing to those goblins (or them to it). Would this mean I was accidentally in good zone?  There wasn't any feather wood or other signs of that. Starvation was about to occur before those goblins showed up in the second year.

Possible bug. The embassy needed a soul item but the phylacteries would not work. I tried checking when there was a free souls but it may have already been hauled to be syphoned.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1029 on: January 31, 2014, 06:57:21 am »

Sorry for not posting anything the last three days, but it would have been "testing, testing, changing minor things, more testing." ;)

I added the ability to turn prisoners into Ghouls and Skeletons, bone wolves, golems and gargantuan bone golems to the fleshsmith, and moved the summon caravan and the slayrace mechanic to the sator workshop. Proofread the manual, had no errorlog, crashes or anything else problematic. Only the prisoner torturing/searching does not trigger 100% of the time... but since its free and costs no reagents I guess thats not a major issue.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DeathShad0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1030 on: January 31, 2014, 04:00:13 pm »

Alright, something's not right. My warlocks aren't using hourglasses and making phylacteries. I have over twenty hourglasses to spare and souls that keep piling up from my butchers as well as a soul siphon right next to them.
Is it a bug?

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 31, 2014, 04:33:13 pm »

Just tried this out yesterday and I must say that it's awesome. For some reason, I keep ending up with forts that only have two or three warlocks though. Would it be possible to make a few warlock adventurers, retire them, and then get them as immigrants in fortress mode?

Alright, something's not right. My warlocks aren't using hourglasses and making phylacteries. I have over twenty hourglasses to spare and souls that keep piling up from my butchers as well as a soul siphon right next to them.
Is it a bug?

You have some warlocks with sorcery enabled, right? By default they don't have that labor turned on and it took me a while to figure out that that's why one of my forts wasn't storing souls.

DeathShad0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: January 31, 2014, 04:50:07 pm »

You have some warlocks with sorcery enabled, right? By default they don't have that labor turned on and it took me a while to figure out that that's why one of my forts wasn't storing souls.
Ah hell, that's probably it.

Something else I noticed was my phylacteries disappearing from my finished goods stockpile bins. The soul siphons don't double as storage for these, do they? 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:01:08 pm by DeathShad0 »

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: January 31, 2014, 08:58:06 pm »

i cant for the love of my fort figure out how to get a shell for my necromancer
using dfhack createitem isn't helping either :(
can anyone guide me to how to get a shell for the poor bloke? or should i wait for him to die and resurect him? would he still be insane/berserk/melancholy?

and btw meat > blood > bloodwine seems off, 22 meat makes 10 blood which makes 10 bloodwine then the vampire consumes all the bloodwine [10], hoping this is unintentional  :-X
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1034 on: January 31, 2014, 09:14:45 pm »

its not 22 meat, its 1 stack. If you use 110 meat its the same as 1 meat. And the vampire should drink 1 unit of it. It might be that the manual reaction uses up the entire barrel, but thats nothing I can affect.

Shells: probably hard to find. ^^
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 110