Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Craftrazors: Another 4e Merchant Fortress  (Read 17062 times)

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
Re: Craftrazors: Another 4e Merchant Fortress
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2013, 01:38:21 am »

It's spring, which means that I'm going to post everyone's thoughts in full. But because there are so many of ya, it's going to take more than one post to cover you all.

Zlurker has two jobs: mining and masonry, and usually unskilled laborers (i.e. unnamed dwarves) will handle the masonry. Whereas the other two miners also dabble in engraving, Zlurker lives solely by the pick.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Teelox mines and engraves. Most of the engravings done around the fortress are his works.

Haemish is our junior speardwarf, with but a single kill to his name. He's also the last of the militia to be guilded. He has yet to learn of his wife's demise.

I am the general purpose stoneworker; I mine, mason, and engrave. I am the oldest dwarf in the fortress, and possibly have been in more battles than any other, having been to 3 massive (and losing) battles against the orcs. In addition, I got 6 kills on Orcs at the battle of Spiderwasted, the only major Dwarven victory.

Crazybones is the fortress' chief medical, and while he didn't arrive with any skill in medicine, an inductment into the healer's guild and some quality time with an apothecary's workshop should fix that. Crazybones has the most kills in the fortress, with an impressive 52 orcs and one wolf to his name at the battle of spiderwasted. These days, he lives in a small apartment adjacent to the hospital.

While he has yet to be inducted into the merchant's guild, Quakhead has been an able expedition leader. At the very least, he has yet to lose his position, even to rising stars like Migshark. He is married to Vabalokis, and when he isn't meeting with liasons he can be found on the surface, chopping wood.

Safarian has one job: Chopping down trees. His admission into the Carpenter's Guild is pending, as soon as we get our current militia guilded up. I know that you requested marksdwarfage...but...confession time...I've never been able to get marksdwarves running properly. Sorry D:

ThaMuzz is an awkward case; his highest skill is engraving, but he's part of the Alchemist's guild. He bounces between them depending on which job I want done more. Officially, his most important duty is maintaining the lighting industry, but since thread for wicks is scarce, there isn't really much for him to do. Like many others, Thamuzz is a veteran of Spiderwasted, where he killed 5 orcs.

Kamikaze is one of the true stars of the fortress; with an expert armoring skill and part of the Smith's Guild, she's going to be producing all of the armor keeping our squads alive. She lives next to the hospital with her husband, Crazybones, and her youngest child. Her oldest child is back at the mountainhomes, having already become an adult.

Kaos is the fort's official trapmaster; she's the one who builds the mechanisms and keeps the traps operating. Now that Dire Lions can be tamed, she'll be making a lot more cage traps on the surface. Despite her rapidly growing skills in engineering, her greatest talent is furnace operating.

Stay tuned for the rest of ya!
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2013, 03:33:33 pm »

You are quite good at writing things up. Look forward to the next installment of mercantile hell.  ;D
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2013, 03:44:14 pm »

I am totally not defined solely by my mining. ;_;

Dragonfly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2013, 10:32:07 pm »

I hate when we run out of booze, no wonder Murple went down to the caverns. Better to be eaten by monsters than have to drink water.

I want a metal coffin, and fill it with booze. Then set me on fire.

When you get another weaver name me Flink.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2013, 10:34:13 pm »

Do you also want it guarded by trained mandrills?

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2013, 08:30:22 am »

I'm away from my computer for a week, and I return to find that not only was I possessed into creating an artifact, but it has actually been long enough for the high to wear off.

"Authorblockaded".  I wonder what the forces beyond dwarven comprehension that drive them to such acts of wonder and creativity could have meant by that...

Also, where is my durn Cave Wheat Tea with Horse Milk and a splash (2/3 of the tankard) of Moghopper?  I may be all cheerful and such what with legendary dining rooms 'n' baths 'n' fine seats (that is a well appointed chair, I must admit), but having to drink water is degrading.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:03:05 am by ThaMuzz »

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2013, 06:34:48 pm »

Vabalokis is a gemcutter. After her possession by Abal and making a flawless gem, she has largely been sitting on her laurels...at least until the glass industry came in. She spends her days now making crystal glass windows and other such things.

Lenz was the first of our militia to be inducted into a military guild, and was originally intended to wield a two-handed axe. That was before we struck moderate quantities of tungsten. Now, we are getting materials together to give him a Welded Wolfram Maul. Since he won't be able to use a shield, I made him a guard dwarf in hopes that his armor skill will make up for it, and the sheer unstoppable mass of a Welded Wolfram Great Hammer will make skill there not quite as important. Before he came to Craftrazors, he made a name for himself at the battle of spiderwasted, where he slew a half-dozen sabrecats in the battle.

Meph is a bit of a brainiac. Most of the fortress' research has been done by her, and she was instrumental in creating the magma cistern. These days, she is busier than ever. The rapidly growing fortress needs plenty of research, but in her spare time, she's been getting the reagents together to become a true mage...

Freezair is big, loud, and can generally be found outdoors yelling at boars for not trying hard enough. For much of the history of the fortress, he was an odd man out, and could be found wherever general labor was needed, especially at the fields. But now that the young badgerdogs are growing up and the lions that can be found always roaming the surface are coming in, Freezair is doing what he came here to do: training the animals that will guard our citizens.

Glacies is the fortress brewer. At her still, her motto is engraved above the door: "Me brew gets you through the working day." She is frustrated by the general lack of good crops in Craftrazors, but does her best to add her quality merchandise to what she charitably calls "the swill from Olon's." Above her still is a severed orcish hand; no one knows where it comes from, and when pressed, she simply says it's "for luck."

Migshark is a relatively late arrival to the fortress. No one is entirely certain how, but he was able to convince the fortress leadership to pay for his membership into the Merchant's Guild and to give him the position of Fortress Broker over its previous holder. They don't seem to concerned about it; if he was that persuasive here, then Asmel help anyone at the Trade Depot. Just don't ask how he pays for his lavish lifestyle.

Sage has been at the fortress for a long time, but has largely been working in the shadows, completing tasks that no one else seems willing to do. She recently rose to prominence when it became clear that (thanks to her Crafter's Guild training) she was the only one qualified to make the fine tools required for the fortress' planned coin mint. She is a general purpose crafter, and can often be found creating the bits and baubles that other tasks demand.

Spascala is the militia commander, and easily Craftrazor's most skilled warrior. She has slain dozens of animals around the fortress, and is eager to pit her bronze spear and shield in battle against more challenging foes. She was recently became a legionnaire, and has been tirelessly lobbying for new armor for her and her squad. The respect she commands is such that she has actually been able to obtain it.

At 54 years old with no previous skills, Mahrgell seems an odd match for his wife, Sage. Prior to coming to Craftrazors, he was simply a hauler, resulting in a dwarf with moderate strength and endurance and with little experience at showing his own initiative and drive. His decent athletic ability and total lack of social skills immediately caught Commander Spascala's attention, and he has been a reliable part of the militia ever since. Rumor has it that he is lined up to be a Swordsdwarf or Axedwarf, as soon as quality materials are in use for such purposes.

And that's all the dwarfs of the fortress thus far. And somewhere along the line it stopped being an appraisal of your actions and I started characterizing y'all. Oops.

A few more of you have been added, and you'll be shown in the next post, which will be a tour of Craftrazors as it exists now. Ciao!

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2013, 03:45:01 am »

Anyway, I figured it could be nice to give a tour of the place, since we hope to be here a while.

Here's ground level, way zoomed out.

Zoom in on the cave...

We have here a popular bathing pond, and here we're quite close to initial embark.

Down a level...

That's a some poor fellow who got trapped by mining operations. Don't worry about him, he'll be fine.

Down again...

and again...

Finally some activity! On the left is the cave, on the center we can see the top of the shaft down to the dining hall. We can see the last of the roof over the outdoor farms being installed, and over on the bottom right, we can see the top of the main entrance.

Down again...

The main entrance!

We have the most popular pond, which is visibly shrinking from all the baths and drinking done in it. It's unhygienic to bathe in something you wouldn't be willing to drink out of, after all. We have a scarecrow right in front of the 1x1 bridge to help scare nuisances away, a winding trap corridor, and our outdoor farms. You can see Thamuz (white), Crazybones (purple), Migshark (blue), and Sage (brown) going about their business.

Let's go down the stairway at the back of the hallway.

First we enter the barracks on the lower left. We shove past John Maynard Keynes (in purple) to reach the barracks, currently empty as the militia is in the midst of retraining at the garrison. We take the path to the right into the fields. Past the fields, we can see Quakhead (yellow) conducting a meeting with the local zoo. Past them we can see our animal stockpile, currently filled with prisoners of war, and in the distance we can see Zlurker (the gentleman in grey) expanding the farms to help keep the rapidly growing fortress well fed. We return the way we came, but instead shove past Mosey (blue) and and Kaos (black) to head downstairs. As we pass, we may look through the Crystal Glass window into the core of the fortress, the dining hall.

Let's go downstairs.

Woah! There's a lot going on down here! Let's take it one at a time. Zooming in to the stairs we came down on...

These are the shops. Just past the stairs are Lenz (blue) and Meph (brown). On the right side of the street we have Olon's Culinary Delight, Morul's Tavern, Teduk's Fine Goods and Urist's Steel emporium. On the left side of the street we have Bomrek's Bargains and a Toolmaker's Workshop. Again, the dining hall takes center stage.

Let's take the northern hallway.

There's a lot going here, so pay attention, boys and girls. First, we'll hike to the right. We can see a handful of basic workshops to the north, then the embassy, trade storehouse, and trade depot, currently laden with Drowen goods (our first non-dwarven caravan, by the way). After that, you can see the empty space dug out for the School Of Wizardry, should it be built. To the south, you can see the Guildhall and Garrison.

Now we can go back to the trading street and walk left at the fork. On the right, we can see the quantum stockple. Beyond that we have a doorway that leads to the researcher's workbench and the alchemist's lab. You can see Spascala standing nearby (orange). To the south of Spascala you can see our ore processors, slagpit, and Kiln. The Kiln stands open to the dining hall, but eventually that entire gap will be filled with crystal glass. At the end of the hallway are the Magma Forges. There is a fair amount of activity going on in here; Kamikaze (grey) is making one of here world-famous armors here, Freezair (brown) is constructing another crucible, and Vabalokis is crafting a fine crystal-glass window. We're pretty high-tech; we have Blast Furnace, Great Forge, Metallurgist, and crucibles. Now let's go back to the stairs and go down another level.

We're starting at the bottom of the main stairwell, marked with a red star. To the south we will find the refuse stockpile, nothing much interesting there. Walk north and west and you'll pass the kitchens, still, and pantry. Currently drinking at the pantry are Safarian (the lumberjack in yellow), Haemish (the miner in grey), and Mahrgell (the peasant in green). To the south is the dining hall itself, decorated with golden statues and fireplaces.
To the left of that we have the back entrance, which leads down to the caves. See that surgeon way to the left? He's building an escape path that leads up to that guy who was trapped earlier. We can also see the Warpstone pool.

Now, let's go up beyond the surgeon...up, up, higher, past the dwarf starving to death, more, THERE!

The tombs! Build into the spire marking Craftrazors, our dead will be interred in style. I'll need to give this place a proper floor, though. Nobody deserves to be buried in clay....but wait, nothing is growing there...perhaps the souls of the deceased are repressing plant growth?

Now then, let's head on back down to the red star, but head right.

It's way out the way, true, but it's also the easiest (and safest) sand to access in this fortress. Here we have various supplies for preparing crystal glass, even though the glass itself is made back at the forge complex.

Now, back to the Red Star, but head down another level.

We have a few things going on here. Mostly this is the noble's quarters, but the smoothers have yer to go down here. On the left half of the quarters, we'll find that top left is Vabalokis' rooms, bottom left it Mahrgell's. Thamuzz's has yet to be furnished (lower middle). John Maynard Keynes (fortress psychiatrist) has upper middle, upper right is Spascala's, and lower right is Quakhead's. In the top we can see Teelox (grey) napping in the fortress dormitory.

Across the street from the dormitory is the hospital, where Crazybones and Kamikaze live. You can also find the apothocary's study where Kamikaze practices his diagnostic skills.
All quarters to the right of the hospital and dorm are pretty much unoccupied.

If you're wondering what the mess of channels is upper left, I'm designating out some well space for my eventual water well. Lower left corner you can see the flux mine.

We're almost done here, I promise! Let's go down the stairs in the middle.

Citizen's quarters! Not much to see here...apartment complex in a simple grid. Not particularly efficient, but it works.
If you don't have noble's quarters, you probably live here. Mostly unfurnished, of course, but I'm working on it.

Now then, one last place on our little tour. Down the stairs...

The site of our scriptorium and eventual libraries, as well as being space for any future expansion. Again, not much to see here.

And that's all of it! The only stuff remaining is the mines, where a few of you are busy picking up rocks and putting them down somewhere else. Before we go, I have the thoughts for John Maynard Keynes (Psy.D.) and TalonisWolf.

Next time, my vacation will have come to an end and I can get back to actual updates! See you all then!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2013, 04:19:56 am »

You forgot to show your vault, the place with stockpiles full of gold and silver coins... not trusting the visitors that far, are you? :P

I like how you pointed out every single named dwarf, respect :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2013, 03:23:27 am »

My dwarf's probably has 'I'm a dwarf and I like to diggy diggy hole!' going through his head every time he mines. :D

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2013, 04:06:28 am »

You have a very amusing writing style, keep it up.
And dworf me if you can. I don't care what kind of dwarf.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2013, 12:48:43 am »

Love following this.  Did my lovely dwarven lass kick the bucket somewhere along the line?

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2013, 01:33:31 am »

Love following this.  Did my lovely dwarven lass kick the bucket somewhere along the line?

Assuredly not! Lemme see...ah yes, there you are.
Your sprite is hidden by a boulder, but you're to the right of Spascala, just in front of the Scarecrow on the forge level. Your currently installing furniture down in the noble's quarters.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2013, 02:16:08 am »

I would like to be dwarfed! A jeweler would be nice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:20:21 am by DoomOnion »

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2014, 02:57:37 am »

Quakhead sat at his desk, looking across at a middle aged, heavily scarred dwarf sitting silently on the other side.

No one knew the name of the mysterious dwarf who had arrived at the end of autumn. They had arrived in the last group of migrants before the routes were frozen in ice. He had rarely spoken to anyone before he came, and only spoke when directly addressed, though he performed menial labor quickly and with competence. He arrived with nothing but the clothes on his back and a few roughly carved trinkets woven into his very long beard. He would have been refused were it not that his wife, Talonis Wolf, showed signs of the gift of magic.

But none of that was why Quakhead was interviewing him. He had recieved two separate requests to do so. The first was from fortress psychologist John Maynard Keynes, who told Quakhead that in some cases, the best way to promote mental health was direct government intervention. Quakhead didn't really know what Keynes was talking about; there were rumors that he was raised by humans, and had thus grown up with some strange ideas on practical psychiatry. The other request had come from the manager, who had complaints about the mysterious newcomer's paperwork.

Quakhead shuffled the paperwork on his desk. "I called you here...err...sir...because of complaints from the manager's office. Now, we don't mind your lack of skills and assets. We are always in need of more laborers to help grow the fortress and keep the furnaces fed. But we do need to know your name."

"I no longer have a name. I gave the papersmith all the identity I need." the dwarf growled in response.

Quakhead looked down at the paper. The name line had been filled, in a slightly shaky hand, with the words Child of Armok "But we'll need more than your parentage."
"Armok is not just my father. He is the father of all of us. Not just the dwarves, but the humans, and the elves, and the orcs. Armok created us all, and we merely have forgotten."

Ah, thought Quakhead. This could get a little tricky.

"I see." said the expedition leader. "So...how did you remember this...Armok?"

"I was at Spiderwasted. I saw the orcs fall in the hundreds by our blades. In their blood, I saw the works of Armok. He created our world, and our people, and our gods, just has he has made countless worlds before. He creates us, and he watches us live, and he watches us die, and at the end of all things, he will place the our world upon his anvil to shape a new world from it's barren and spent ashes."
"Surely, we would have heard of such a god before? If only because he must demand praise for his works?"
"Armok does not demand our praise. He only demands our blood."
Oh dear.
"And you will give it to him?"
"No. All of our blood goes to him in the end. None can stop the cycle of the blood god."
A silence fell over the room. Quakhead tried to think of how he would get out of this one without his pen permanently interred in his ear. He tried not to think of the muscles bulging under the disheveled dwarf's robe.
"Well...I'll tell you what. If you agree to officially change your name to what you put down of the form, I'll see to it that you have facilities to properly...pray to Armok. Just to smooth things along."

It took almost an hour to hash out the plans. For a god that didn't need praise, his strange apostle seemed to demand a great deal of space for the new facilties. But in the end, when Child of Armok left, Quakhead couldn't help but feel satisfied.
Maybe he would get the hang of this Keynesian Psychiatry yet.

---

Ah, my, that was a nice little break there, wasn't it? But I am refreshed, restored, and with a new resolve to take Craftrazors forward into the new year!

Things get started with an immediate troglodyte ambush, right on the edge of our vision.

None of my dwarves are down there, though, because of the forgotten beast...another ambush shows up, and they immediately march back into the unrevealed area...hmm...should I? It would be cheating, but then, I'm curious...

Let's see what's going down.

Yep, it's the beast all right. TAKE YOUR BETS, FOLKS!

Oh. That was fast. I'm not sure if the beast was a wuss or the trogs are awesome. With their foe vanquished, the ambushers mill around in the caves purposelessly.

Oh look!

Kamikaze and Crazybones have had their 3rd child! Huzzah! Though it does highlight the chronic water shortage here. While mining out a vein of galena, there is some good news.

Some rare mithril. The wealth of the earth underneath us never ceases to amaze.

Oh no!

Talonis Wolf's and Child of Armok's child was just snatched! This can't be good.

On a lighter note, that fellow who was trapped upstairs has been set free. Ah, damn...he isn't happy about being stuck up there.

He spends a while holed up the shrink's office, occasionally yelling at the walls. He doesn't get violent, fortunately.

A dwarf gets an idea and claims a woodcrafters workshop, while the distant roar of a new forgotten beast echoes in the caverns.

The beast charges the Trogolodyte lines.

The howling monstrosity charges the troglodyte leader, a hammer lord, and battle ensues.

But the beast is outnumbered, and it is quickly beaten to death. I'm getting a little cagey about sending my squad against these guys.

Meanwhile, back in the fort, Kamikaze produces the first set of welded cobalt armor, and it is a masterpiece. With any luck, we'll be able to outfit whole squads in the stuff.

The artifact, a wooden amulet named Stirredcleaves, is completed.

Much research has been completed, ranging from Golemforging to Invention.

Also, our money problems have been (possibly) forever solved.

See that long building on the left there? Coin mint. We can now mass produce coins without using up valuable time on the forge. We also finished the bay window in front of the kiln.

And at long last, Haemish becomes a legionaire.

And Child of Armok becomes an Apostle of Armok over at the newly constructed monastary. Sorry, this is back before the shiny new religion system.

A Drow snatcher failed to steal a child....He instead cuts off the child's arm.

Oldark finishes Lenz's Welded Wolfarm Maul. This should be productive.

I send the military outside. While out there, Spascala gets hit pretty hard by a Warlock snatchers magic, and is sent to the hospital.

I order some new weapons made for the squad. It will still be a long time before the whole squad can be equipped with kamikaze's armor.

While musing about such things, the season comes to an end.

I'm having troubles producing enough Welded Cobalt to equip the group...I may have to supplement it with steel. We just can't seem to process our ore fast enough.

Also, getting gold has slowed somewhat. I think we may need to add a fourth miner and more ore processors to get our coin quota filled. In any case, I should be able to get enough money to buy the library supplies I need for the School of Wizardry before the end of summer.

Warlock snatchers are causing a lot of attrition as they show up, blast some poor fool with acid, and take off before I can stop them. My mad, raving dream is to produce turrets that I can place scattered the surface to stop these attacks. Anyone happen to know the best way to take out Warlocks?

We also have the capabilities to produce golems. If we can process gold fast enough, we can easily mint enough money to buy a golemheart.

Food is still a problem, but we hit enough cave fungus to be able to live off the cheese for while should it be needed. The fortress is more stable than it was not too long ago, but we still need a better military.

Current money supplies are at 500c, 9000s, 1500g.

Here's the newcomers:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10