Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Craftrazors: Another 4e Merchant Fortress  (Read 17069 times)

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craftrazors: Another 4e Merchant Fortress
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2013, 07:43:35 pm »

I want a direlion pet too. D:

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2013, 05:26:37 am »

We are dwarves, wo should have mouflons or grizzly bears as pets!  :D

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2013, 02:35:06 pm »

Grizzlies are for pansies. Real dorfs have the largest, most vicious predators available so when they inevitably go Fatal Attractions on the fort we all die horribly. :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2013, 02:55:27 pm »

So.. we are getting Giant Hornet pets? Tame centauren? Anubites and Xen infectors?  8)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

migshark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2013, 04:46:05 pm »

That pesky militia... hopefully my dorf will insult some diplomats or something, triggering a war to get them all killed.

MuDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2013, 06:02:13 pm »

Giant Hornets are the spawn of Satan, I would accept Anubites as a suitable replacement for my Dire Lion.

OOH OOH, or Giant Badgers if we can...procure them. Mwa haw haw
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:56:50 pm by MuDD »

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2013, 07:11:45 pm »

Here's the latest thoughts; sorry for being so slow between updates. It's the holiday, you know how it gets. That and I procrastinate, yes indeed!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I gotta say, even though the fortress is still doing fairly well, the thoughts are getting kind of dark.

Next post coming soon. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2013, 07:20:48 pm »

Meph:
  • She was forced to eat vermin to survive lately. 
  • She has complained of hunger lately.
  • She has complained of thirst lately.
  • She has complained of the nasty water lately. 
  • She was disgusted by a miasma lately. 

Why are you doing this to me?

And Quakhead, Watch out. Romantically involved with Vabakolis... He is a worshipper of beating his significant other to death. I am telling you, it will not end well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2013, 09:43:04 pm »

Mahrgel, Wrestler
He had a nice bath recently.  VS He has complained of the nasty water lately.
He was upset about being relieved from duty. VS He has complained about the draft lately.

I We feel schizophrenic.

Sage Ethereal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2013, 11:37:52 pm »

I am really enjoying this LP, just as I did with your last one! Your first merchant fortress adventure happens to be the first 'written' LP I have ever bothered reading (have watched video LPs before, never read a written / text one though) and it seems it may have gotten me hooked.

Oh and if you happen to have a spare dwarf that needs a name, naming them Sage would be nice.  ;D

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2013, 12:43:53 am »

I am really enjoying this LP, just as I did with your last one! Your first merchant fortress adventure happens to be the first 'written' LP I have ever bothered reading (have watched video LPs before, never read a written / text one though) and it seems it may have gotten me hooked.

Oh and if you happen to have a spare dwarf that needs a name, naming them Sage would be nice.  ;D

I have ALL the spare dwarves that need names. I have a craftsdwarf with your name on it.

MORE MORE MORE

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2013, 02:33:24 am »

The merchants sat in the depot deep underground, waiting for the broker to arrive. The merchant leader had been a merchant for a many years, and he'd traded with dwarves, gnomes, humans, elves, even goblins and orcs on occasion.
This depot wasn't terribly different from any other; it was built next to a storehouse and embassy, with a roughly constructed torch illuminating the room. What was unusual about the depot was that it was built entirely underground, and with no access for wagons from the surface. The traders had to lead their animals down stairways and narrow corridors into the darkness. On their way to the depot, they saw a vast dining hall, and the distant glow of what was unmistakably magma. They also passed dozens of dwarves, moving with the slow grimness of sobriety. If the fortress was rich, it was at a steep cost.

As they started unpacking their wares, a number of dwarves outfitted in finely crafted armor but wielding crude copper weapons in their hands. The dwarves here were nervous and on edge, and the bodyguards gripped their weapons more tightly.

This fortress was rich, no doubt, but it was unstable. Far better to offload their wares and leave, then linger in this remote and isolated fortress.

---

Winter comes upon the fortress, and while I wouldn't say we're in crisis mode, we have some big problems. A dead dwarf in the caves, ambushers, an alcohol and food shortage, and low morale are making the fortress unstable. Our priorities this month are increasing happiness and stability. I start by ordering the fields to be enlarged.

I also buy a bunch of booze and meat to keep us fed for a while for some visiting traders. The trogolodytes seem to have left without a fight, so I open up the deeps to collect Murple's corpse. He'll be interred in our new cemeteries in the top of the spire.

Kaos has been made an engineer's guild dwarf.

Spascala goes ape on some lanky grey lach..es? Lachi?

In any case, some lanky grey guys get impaled by the military commander. She has yet to be injured in battle! SHE'S INVINCIBohshit.

Ughorn Mistsin, made of flesh and spits webs. THAT'S NO GOOD. Fortunately, no one is in the caves at the moment, and I simply lock the door.

Meanwhile, the forges have been revolutionized. We have smelters, forges, crucible, a blast furnace, greatforge, glass furnace...my main worry is that I'll run out of space before I get to higher tech stuff.

Next up is producing the high-quality metals to actually utilize in our forges. I immediately begin research on another crucible to speed up cobalt refinement. I also he do have quite an array of metals now, and I queue research on minting, another metallurgist, magic, invention, and  golemification.

I turn Spascala into a legionnaire. She's been getting enough kills, might as well get some experience out of it.

Freezair and Haemish get pet dire lionesses, but I'm still waiting for a male lion so I can get kittens. Dire kittens, no less.

Oh, and as an aside, you can transmute wolfram into mithril? Sweet. Sounds like a fair deal to me. Speaking of fair deals, Mahrgell becomes legionnaire, which taps out our current money supplies.

I am finally able to get some crytal glass windows in.

You know, this is the first time I've been able to have a crystal glass industry? It's amazing how magma streamlines...everything really.

I've also prettied up the dining hall a smidge.

And, while trying to get Oldark to stop chasing the fortress psychologist so he can hurry up and forge me some more bloody statues, the year comes to an end.

Hmm...still haven't finished the new farmland...I'm beginning to think a new miner might not be amiss.

Not a whole lot to report. The fortress is ticking along nicely...not many real problems this season. Nothing more problematic then a trapped dwarf and trying to get the metalworking process streamlined. Nothing really all that exciting...Oh, by the way, are there any nice and easy means of taking shots of the whole fort?

I don't see the beastie anywhere at the moment, but I haven't revealed the entire cavern yet, so I don't know if it's gone are lying in wait. And anyway, I don't want to send my militia into battle against it without welded cobalt armor, so the caves are off limits for a while longer. Also, I've got a welded wolfram maul coming in for Lenz, and welded cobalt armor beginning to trickle in. Once I smelt a bunch of tin (and transmute it to zinc), I'll be able to mass produce bronze armor to fill out the squad.

I gotta say, alchemy is super useful. With a handful of different types of metals and access to flux, you can make just about everything without much effort. It isn't necessarily good for mass production, but for specialized purposes like nickel for spring steel, it works quite nicely. Plans for next time include more metalworking. After the squad is outfitted, I'm going to send them into the caves, see if I can't find out what happened to the beastie...and to obtain Murple's corpse.

Of our current (named) military, only 1 dwarf remains unguilded. After Haemish becomes a legionnaire, I'll start saving money for a tear of armok; the nasty water is becoming a real problem, and I'd like my dwarves to bathe in clean water to avoid infection. I also have vague plans for an obsidian farm, but don't get our hopes up too much, that is a decidedly long term plan.

The coffers have 500 copper, 2000 gold, and 1500 silver.

Thoughts for Sage:

It's spring, so there's going to be a few posts with the unabridged thoughts of all y'all, and then I plan to do a lil screenshotty tour of the fortress.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:19:10 am by moseythepirate »

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2013, 07:29:07 am »

Also, I've got a welded wolfram maul coming in for Lenz, and welded cobalt armor beginning to trickle in.

Nice  8)

But why am i a guard-dwarf? As a twohander the shieldskill will not be of much use  ???

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2013, 10:57:55 am »

because your lack of shieldskill makes your armorskill even more important :D

MuDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 24, 2013, 04:15:47 pm »

Cannot wait for the Welded Cobalt to be done for us all in the military.
Been tossing around the idea of equipping my own dwarves with it in my fortresses.
Thanks much for the Lion pet :D
Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season and I await the next updates with a fervor that I'm a touch embarrassed to admit to :P
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10