Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What's coming in the new version of DF?  (Read 7100 times)

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's coming in the new version of DF?
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:21:58 am »

Any links you guys can give me or can you tell me yourselves?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's coming in the new version of DF?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 10:52:20 am »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vgy5h5tmWFZLqCJMYd1cbGG67SUCSIn30Y--DNymzdg/edit?pli=1

Not sure if it's updated with all the latest tidbits but everything major should be in there. No distinction between adventure mode vs fortress mode changes though :>

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 11:19:21 am »

I thought there would be more features...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:43 am »

Its just a summary really, and you'll get a better sense of the features by reading the devlogs. There are many huge changes, site overhauls, a lot of worldgen related things, 3D trees, climbing.......

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 11:52:11 am »

Like what? There are significantly more (and bigger) features in this release than any other I've seen in my time with the community.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:50:20 pm »

Other than sites I guess there's not things like content features. It's mechanics. But the thing about Dwarf Fortress is that everything multiplies the possibilities of interesting things happening. Sites make adventure mode interesting, more movement makes combat more dynamic and realistic.

And it has probably the biggest feature addition that the game has ever had, even bigger than 3D I'd think: world gen activities during play.

If dwarf fortress is a fantasy world simulator, this update will be the first thing that adds the simulator part in any real sense. So even if it didn't have sites or combat rewrites, it'd be a meaty update. Where a world doesn't start as an interesting place and everything interesting is whittled down by subsequent playthroughs, it reacts and flows around and because of your actions instead of being a static sandbox (albeit a very complex one).
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 04:49:44 am »

Well, it's only the biggest update in the history of Dwarf Fortress.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 05:46:35 am »

Well, it's only the biggest update in the history of Dwarf Fortress.
This, pretty much.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 06:06:16 am »

I don't wan't to come out as a spoiled bratt or lazy newbie but please...could someone explain what there is to expect from the upcomming new release? My english isn't that good and by reading the devlogs I really can't understand how it will affect me and my DF-gaming in the future. So, perhaps someone of u guys could enlighten me.
The bigger trees and climbing I do understand  :P

Thanks!
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 07:18:52 am »

I don't wan't to come out as a spoiled bratt or lazy newbie but please...could someone explain what there is to expect from the upcomming new release? My english isn't that good and by reading the devlogs I really can't understand how it will affect me and my DF-gaming in the future. So, perhaps someone of u guys could enlighten me.
The bigger trees and climbing I do understand  :P

Thanks!

Basically, in the previous versions, once the world generation was finished the world was static apart from the player intervention. NPCs would just stay there doing nothing until the player did something with them. Now, we will have some activities going on outside our sphere of influence. I think this is the most important change in the next version.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 07:20:42 am »

What are the major new additions? Anyone care to run through them for me?

Post-worldgen history continuation, complete combat overhaul, complete personality overhaul, complete conversation overhaul in adventure mode, complete tree overhaul (now multi-tile!), dwarf sites in adventure mode, elf sites in adventure mode, goblin sites in adventure mode, new Hidden Fun Stuff in adventure mode, complete movement overhaul, small trading overhaul, complete questing overhaul, complete politics overhaul.

That's off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:23:24 am by dorf »

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 11:02:14 am »

Woah. I'm sorry guys I didn't realize about the dynamic world. Cool.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 05:18:48 am »

The biggest feature I like is a more realistic awareness of everyone.

1) Adventure mode. Sneaking, vision cones, crimes must be reported... THERE IS NO MORE HIVEMIND CITIES! You can rob people, assassinate a king without whole town going apeshit on you, or even be a secret Santa.

2) Dwarf mode. Invaders setting up tents and placing patrols. Now they won't magically know when you attack them, so you can set up ambushes and raids. Of course with clumsy squad control it's not that easy to do, but it's great.

And why is nobody talking about the BIGGEST feature for me? Ability to retire fortresses without killing them! Ability to run multiple fortresses in the same world (SUCCESSION GAMES?) and interacting with adventurers (sending adventurers to bring artifacts/slabs/books, to kill enemy generals etc).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 06:27:23 am »

And why is nobody talking about the BIGGEST feature for me? Ability to retire fortresses without killing them! Ability to run multiple fortresses in the same world (SUCCESSION GAMES?) and interacting with adventurers (sending adventurers to bring artifacts/slabs/books, to kill enemy generals etc).

I second that!
Besides all the other very exiting stuff that is going to change, I'm really looking forward to this.
It will really feel like playing the whole world!

Although, given the stupidity advanced intelligence of dwarfs, I wonder what will happen in the fortress once we turn our eyes somewhere else ...

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 11:35:23 am »

I second that!
Besides all the other very exiting stuff that is going to change, I'm really looking forward to this.
It will really feel like playing the whole world!

Although, given the stupidity advanced intelligence of dwarfs, I wonder what will happen in the fortress once we turn our eyes somewhere else ...

I can already see it, you make a decent fort, and retire from it. Leave the world running for a few year and come back.
Its all covered with engravings of engravings of cheese.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4