Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 158248 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone - Online Warcraft TCG in Open Beta
« Reply #210 on: June 26, 2014, 04:03:35 pm »

Why do you play casual in the first place?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 26, 2014, 04:26:23 pm »

Because I am a casual Hearthstone player?  I play maybe twice a week, mainly to do quests, earn some gold, maybe do an Arena run if I have time on the weekend.  I see where you are going and maybe I will try Ranked if that's what it takes to get an even opponent, but then what is Casual mode even for?  Ranked play is for competitive play, and that means competitive decks.  I want to play whatever the hell I feel like, and I want to play against interesting new decks too.  I don't want to play endless iterations of net decks-in-progress like I am now.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 26, 2014, 04:58:35 pm »

I was genuinely just curious, as I just jumped straight into ranked. Also, the lower ranks (25-15) don't really have competitive decks, or many legendaries for that matter, you might like that more.

I don't play casual mode so I'm not sure how the ranking and matching works there. For me ranking is more a system to find equal opponents and otherwise not something to care about.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 26, 2014, 05:46:04 pm »

Do you eventually 'play out' of ranked though, at the lower levels?  In other words, you steadily float up out of those lower ranks until you hit a certain rank where you can finally sink a little, right?  I think my reluctance to try it is based on playing LoL - I played for a long time casually, my rank ratcheted up over time, then I started playing it off and on, but my rank never regressed.  The rank I got to was just too competitive for my tastes (and loaded with douchebags), and frustrating to play at when I was rusty.  I figure Ranked Hearthstone would be similar (minus the douchebags), so I never tried it.

ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 26, 2014, 05:50:31 pm »

As long as you lose more than you win your rank will lower, yes. Does LoL not have that?

edit: except for the very first few ranks, where you can only gain stars (which are like XP for ranks).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:52:18 pm by Dutchling »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 27, 2014, 08:43:58 am »

I played for a long time casually, my rank ratcheted up over time, then I started playing it off and on, but my rank never regressed.  The rank I got to was just too competitive for my tastes (and loaded with douchebags), and frustrating to play at when I was rusty.  I figure Ranked Hearthstone would be similar (minus the douchebags), so I never tried it.

Your elo in League can always drop. If you kept losing games, you were definitely steadily losing elo and playing against lower elo people. Your league can't drop, but your league is not used for matchmaking.

In Hearthstone, you play from rank 25 to rank 20 without the ability to lose ranks, but once you're past 20 you can always drop back down to 20. Additionally, every month they almost completely reset the ranked ladder, which will drop your rank significantly until you play to get it back up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 27, 2014, 08:56:22 am »

Part of me doesn't mind that they reset the ranking.

It has so many benefits. Besides it isn't like the homogeny hasn't affected the ranked mode.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2014, 04:22:58 pm »

The RNG in this game makes me want to die. Guy has a completely perfect hand. Turn 1 Argent Squire, turn 2 Blessing of Might x2 to make it a 7/1, Wolfrider for turn 3, Wolfrider turn 4, and then he just gains his entire hand back (and then some) with a turn 5 Bluegill + Divine Favor. That's 22 damage and board control by turn 5 without spending a single card.

Goddamn do I hate card games.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 30, 2014, 01:06:37 am »

That's not just RNG though. That's good deckbuilding with a lucky opening hand.
Most notably combining a hardy and cheap unit with buffs, and combining cheap units in general with Divine Favour.

Fairly common deck to combat decks that keep a lot of cards in hand.

edit: I feel your rage though. There's nothing worse than facing a Mage with Mana Wyrm, Coin, Mirror Image.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:20:46 am by Dutchling »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 30, 2014, 01:58:21 am »

edit: I feel your rage though. There's nothing worse than facing a Mage with Mana Wyrm, Coin, Mirror Image.

I've had people concede the moment they saw me pull that particular combo out.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 30, 2014, 01:59:36 am »

That  might be me >.>

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 30, 2014, 03:07:00 am »

Most notably combining a hardy and cheap unit with buffs, and combining cheap units in general with Divine Favour.

That's... that's RNG. Anyone can make a deck like that, praising RNGesus hard enough to get all the cards right is what decides the game.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 30, 2014, 03:07:46 am »

That's... that's RNG. Anyone can make a deck like that, praising RNGesus hard enough to get all the cards right is what decides the game.
My point is that you don't need to pray very hard if you have a good deck, meaning your deck building decided the game and not the RNG.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 30, 2014, 03:16:10 am »

Good deck building in this game is making it so you don't need the perfect draw to do well, not forcing the perfect draw to happen at any sort of reliable pace. The deck isn't even that good, either - I built it afterword and lost a multitude of games because I couldn't pull off the right draws.

Also, having your first 7 cards be perfect is great RNG for any deck, especially if you're going first. Im not sure how deckbuilding has anything to do with that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:17:46 am by Rex_Nex »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 30, 2014, 03:21:29 am »

Of course, having the perfect draws is amazing. This deck (Shockadin) only relies on two thing though, that is drawing Divine Favour on time and not playing vs a rushy opponent.

You must hate playing Miracle Rogue :p
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 109