Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31

Author Topic: Pokemon Rivals - The next generation [one spot open]  (Read 22555 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Rivals - The next generation
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2013, 03:28:00 pm »

Fossil pokemon are actually mentioned in Chiropt tunnel (one after the Labs), but that's the only place they're mentioned.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2013, 03:31:35 pm »

Fossils make the most sense in 2 places, the Chiropt-Tunnel (as stated in the description) and the team-mal labs...apart from that...humm..well..Fossils are not exactly common. You might find ocean-dwelling fossils in the deepest depths maybe. The route sais "ferry", but that doesn't mean that the power of RP can't give you a submarine to head to the bottom of the ocean and drag back an omanyte that was long forgotten. Some Fossils might be found encased in the ice of the frozen cave, while Cradily might still be found in the deepest depths of the jungle. Some fossils might be found under the sand of the desert too, but that's already stretching it a bit

Creativity and good RP has benefits. As long as you have an interesting explanation and story to go along your capture, you are more likely to be approved than "well, it just showed up behind me". If you can think of something cool, Houndour might yet be encountered in the forest (but only because it's not *entirely* unlikely. Now something really unfit for a forest, like a slugma, can't even be explained with a 2 page long backstory.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:34:29 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2013, 03:33:51 pm »

Never mind. Frillish is not finished on showdown(missing most moves)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:37:21 pm by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2013, 03:38:50 pm »

I briefly debated getting a Croagunk from Bellona Island. I was going to make up some story about running in to a group from a Pokemon Dojo who was doing a world tour of memorials and sites of ancient battles who had an extra Croagunk for some reason.

*sigh* My poor purely hypothetical Croagunk never even got a chance to be with his imaginary Dojo friends.

Never mind. Frillish is not finished on showdown(missing most moves)
Huh? What's missing?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:40:28 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2013, 03:41:50 pm »

It's weird the Pokemon missing so many moves. I was assembling an Uber team, and Rayuaza only had one move (Dragon Something...Dance? Rush?). Dialga had only one--I think the same only-one. Weird.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2013, 03:42:57 pm »

Until you have actually fought a battle with it, you may still switch around. Just if you do, please make sure to make a fresh post to inform me of any edits made to earlier posts, so I can properly update the OP. Though maybe just waiting for wetlands, jungle, or urban (for the dojo) regions that are yet to come might be best

what moves are missing? frillish should work just fine. it's showing all moves for me in the teambuilder. If you have problems, do NOT set a format during teamcreation. We are playing pokebank OU, which means all moves from previous gens are allowed. If you just run gen6 OU (standard) only moves from that gen would be shown
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:45:06 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2013, 03:44:31 pm »

Yeah I decided to just wait and see if I still wanted it when it was a little more appropriate.

Also, I can't see any problems with Frillish, Rayquaza, or Dialga...?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2013, 03:45:18 pm »

How many games even have volcanoes?
Sevii Islands (Mt. Ember), Hoenn (Mt. Chimney), Sinnoh (Stark Mountain), and Unova (Reversal).  Since the first four games take place in equivalent regions on the Ring of Fire, that's not that surprising.  GSC-era Kanto also has one with no Pokemon that cannot be explored (Cinnabar Island).  Most, like Mount Vernier, though, are dead or dormant. 
You can thank Akroma for even having a volcano, actually; my first draft didn't include one.

As for Houndour, locations are as follows in the games:
Kanto Route 7: Given its length and proximity to both Celadon and Saffron, I'd suggest this to be grassland, but with large amounts of cross-pollination from urban areas. 
Sinnoh Route 214 (Radar only): Rough terrain
Generation 4 Pal Park: Mountain
Unova Route 9: Urbanized (Mall and other "human interaction" detritus Pokemon), Rough (due to Challenger Cave)
Kalos Route 10: Grassland

I'm afraid that I think rough terrain is probably the best place to find Houndour as well, though wild dogs in cities could be an easy sell. 

It's weird the Pokemon missing so many moves. I was assembling an Uber team, and Rayuaza only had one move (Dragon Something...Dance? Rush?). Dialga had only one--I think the same only-one. Weird.
Really?  I just looked over Frillish and Rayquaza, and they both appear to have full movesets. 

EDIT: Note to self for tourney 3.  Create route encounter lists.  For extra entertainment, run a Nuzlocke tourney where people have to roll randomly for their next Pokemon off the list.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:48:21 pm by Culise »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2013, 03:46:32 pm »

after some checking, yes, the problem is setting a format.

without a format, all moves are shown, with just OU not even 10 moves

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2013, 03:47:57 pm »

Ah, that would explain it. If I use a format I've been using Pokebank OU which seems to have them all as well.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2013, 03:51:54 pm »

Ah, that would explain it. If I use a format I've been using Pokebank OU which seems to have them all as well.
Ah good, that solve it.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2013, 04:18:07 pm »

The gym is finally open for all challengers so come on in when you are ready
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 11, 2013, 04:39:01 pm »

Gym battle against Bluerobin

That was an insanely long battle for how many pokemon we had

Edit: Sorry about the double post I forgot I was the last one to post in this thread
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:49:54 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 11, 2013, 04:39:57 pm »

Angel versus the Bug Gym

"I only have two Pokemon...don't people usually get six before they go to a gym? ...Can I wait? Can I afford to fall behind? ...Not really. C'mon, Chrome, Annie!"
Angel and her pokemon went to the Bug Gym, a little shrine in the woods. A woman was laying in there.
"Hello there. I see you're--"
"I challenge you to a Pokemon battle!"
"--so you are."

The battle began.
"Vivillon, I choose you!"
"Chroma, go!"
"Struggle Bug!"
"Will-O-Wisp!" The moth is fast...and deadly...
"Disable Struggle Bug! Now, Psy--"
"Draining Kiss!"
Chroma, bitten by bugs and now kissed by one, gave up and could take no more.
"Go, Anura! Acrobatics!"
The big moth collapsed, crushed by the frog-man.
Angel waited...
"Don't you have any more Pokemon?"
"No, just the one."
"But don't most trainers have a team of--"
"Just take the badge and go!" the gym leader shouted, tears in her eyes.
"Never wanted the Bug Gym...don't they care I'm allergic to most bugs?..."

Angel left, confused but pleased. She had her first badge, and access to the best Bug-type moves her Pokemon could learn! Which was none of the, but still.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2013, 04:50:44 pm »

We made a few test-calculations and a test run for gym-balancing. While the difference probably becomes less noticable in later stages, in early-game 5 levels make a huge difference. In a test run, Kansa 2HKOd Shellos (which had it's 100 evs put into health), while Shellos did less damage than the leftover-recovery on Vivillion, with a super effective hit (which had no health or defence investment, and is generaly a rather frail mon). Likewise Ninjask did less than 15% damage on a neutral hit, full attack investment (both evs and nature), and was 3HKOd. The difference is just enormous, and I shudder to think what would have been wrought by a Scizor instead.

Gyms are meant to be not too challenging, and should be generaly accessible to most teams, not only those who were lucky to have the fitting 4times effective moves or something of the sort. It's for fun afterall (unlike team mal HQ and elite 4, those should go all out).

Thus, at least for the start until 5-level difference doesn't make such a big difference anymore, the signature pokemon will be on the same level as the player pokemons, others 3 levels lower. This is subject to change in later stages of the game, when bigger teams mean a wider variety of choices to battle situations and higher levels make 5 level difference less significant.

Everyone should keep in mind, when building his team, to make it for fun, rather than winning or actively blocking competition from important moves and items. The gyms are a fun add-on, the competition is in the direct battles

You can directly see the difference of 5 levels in the following replay - where Ninjask was 3HKOd before, it now even takes a critical hit and survives long enough for fury-cutter to kick in. In another test-run, it was also checked how it would fare against Shellos, and while Shellos still lost, at least Vivillion was unable to out-heal super effective hits with just leftovers, and didn't 2HKO shellos (which is a tank afterall).

------------------------

Akroma approached the first of her many trials yet to come. The domicile of the Butterfly-Queen, one of those legendary, queen-type pokemon, and the cowardly human who had bound her to her service by vile magic (what else are pokeballs if not vile magic?). The diviners had foretold that, should she be able to overcome the Butterfly-Queen in battle, she would bestow great power upon her...she must not fail...

The domicile was hidden from view, a hidden garden built on top of the highest building in the city. The swarm of butterfly servants was so thick, they cast a constant, multi-colored shade upon the garden, and the trees made sounds like wind chimes, hanging so thick with coccoons...

The battle was brutal

The ButterflyQueen was struggling with everything she had (which was mostly struggle bug - perhaps nomen est omen?), while Alma Elma, playfully, almost sadistcaly held back her power - at first. With every strike, she cut deeper, going faster and faster, to the queens despair. The bug badge was bought with blood.

The price that was claimed was an ancient toxin. A poison so potent, it had been hidden away for decades - now in Akroma's hands. TM6: Toxic
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:58:31 pm by Akroma »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31