Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modding in War-Picks?  (Read 1725 times)

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
Modding in War-Picks?
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:13:01 am »

Alright. I've always loved pickaxes in Dwarf Fortress, and In adventure mode it tends to become my weapon of choice if I can get my hands on a nice, Steel Pickaxe. I've fallen so much in love with picks, that one of the main characters in the story I'm writing (A dwarf) uses a war-pickaxe for his weapon of choice (Dwarves in my story-world use Maces, Warhammers, Axes, War-Picks, and War-Mattocks.)... Anyway, I digress. I'd like to make it so that my military can use War-Picks, and perhaps turn Mining into both a Combat Skill, and a Non-Combat skill. I mean... Just think! An entire squad of miners! "Oh, I'm a crundle, and I'm going to attack the dwarves that just opened a hole into the Cav-" *Urist Mcminer swings his pickaxe at the Crundle's head, jamming the skull and tearing the brain* *The Crundle has been struck down.*

Anyway... How can I make it so that A) Mining is both a Combat Skill and a Non-Combat Skill, and B) Pickaxes can be used by the militia?
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Modding in War-Picks?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:24:12 am »

This is, unfortunately, not possible.  The closest workaround I've been able to find is to create a weapon identical to a pick that uses a regular weapon skill in place of mining, then create two free reactions for the Craftdwarf that converts them back and forth.  Then you can mass-produce picks, use them for mining when you are looking to expand and quickly covert them to weapons when a siege shows up.  But converting miners into instant militia or using battle-picks for mining is regrettably not possible.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:31:52 am »

You can wield picks as a weapon as of right now, even though its marked as foreign, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure about the mining skill - although to be fair, mining as a skill is probably nothing like learning how to murder someone with a pickaxe beyond both involving swinging it.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 11:36:58 am »

The Masterwork mod uses a battle pick.

And yes, a miner armed with a pick uses his mining skill for combat.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 11:44:24 am »

A) Mining is both a Combat Skill and a Non-Combat Skill, and B) Pickaxes can be used by the militia?

A) The definition of a combat skill is the fact that the item_weapon uses the specified skill.  If you make a weapon that uses the teaching skill for its attack, then teaching would be a combat skill.

B) Add this to your entity: [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK].  While it is already there as [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK], the DIGGER portion of the tag designates that that item is used for mining, while the WEAPON indicates that it is assigned for war.  Although, you can designate that pickaxes should be used by the squad through the uniforms screen in the military screen.  It has (foreign) after it since the pickaxe is not marked as a WEAPON in the entity raws.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:46:50 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 11:53:04 am »

A soldier armed with a pickaxe uses his mining skill in combat.  As Zanzet said, you can assign picks to your soldiers directly using uniforms.

You can easily mod in a new weapon (battlepick, war pickaxe) if you want a more combat focused pick weapon.

Many players (myself included) use their legendary miners as the early militia while the axe/hammer/spear dwarves are training up.

I purposefully conscript all my miners into the military and assign them some light armor to wear all the time, and assign pickaxes through the equipment screen.  If a miner encounters some baddies while digging to deep, I will activate his squad and then start mining for blood.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:16:50 pm »

A soldier armed with a pickaxe uses his mining skill in combat.  As Zanzet said, you can assign picks to your soldiers directly using uniforms.

You can easily mod in a new weapon (battlepick, war pickaxe) if you want a more combat focused pick weapon.

Many players (myself included) use their legendary miners as the early militia while the axe/hammer/spear dwarves are training up.

I purposefully conscript all my miners into the military and assign them some light armor to wear all the time, and assign pickaxes through the equipment screen.  If a miner encounters some baddies while digging to deep, I will activate his squad and then start mining for blood.

How could I make it so that the battlepick (Totally using that now) is more combat oriented? Isn't the Pick just as effective a weapon for killing as a Scourge (At least, that is what the wiki says)? How can I mod it so it doesn't say foreign? I'm guessing by copying the stats for the pick, and then naming it 'battlepick'?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 03:20:04 pm »

You mod it ike any other weapon... but you cant get rid of the foreign, because mining is not a combat skill. You can make it use sword or axe skill, but than it cant be used for mining anymore.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 03:20:34 pm »

Ah. Damn. Alright then. Thanks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 04:09:45 pm »

but you cant get rid of the foreign, because mining is not a combat skill.

I thought adding the entry [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK] would get rid of it, since the pickaxe is assigned to [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK], which signifies that the ITEM_WEAPON_PICK is designated for mining purposes, and WEAPON denotes that the item is used by the civilization as a weapon.  Since the pickaxe isn't designated as a WEAPON, it is labeled as foreign in the equipment.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 05:55:10 pm »

This is an example of how I would build a battlepick item entry

In the item_weapon.txt file, add

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BATTLEPICK]
[NAME:battlepick:battlepicks]
[SIZE:600] # slightly larger than a normal pick, halfway between a warhammer and battleaxe
[SKILL:MINING] # still use the mining skill, for flavour
[TWO_HANDED:47500] # same size requirements as normal pick and battleaxe, seems appropriate
[MINIMUM_SIZE:42500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:EDGE:35:2000:pierce:pierces:spiked end:1750] # smaller contact area than normal pick, because it is sharper.  Less penetration because it would widen further towards the base.  Slightly less acceleration due to increased size
[ATTACK:BLUNT:50:200:bash:bashes:blunt end:1750] # military picks typically only have one spiked side, the other resembles a hammer

In the entity_default.txt file, add the following to the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] entry

Code: [Select]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
[DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_BATTLEPICK]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BATTLEPICK]

That will prevent current picks from being marked as foreign, and allow your dwarves to forge battlepicks for mining and combat.

Note:  The above designed battlepick weapon is loosely based on medieval pick weapons, such as the Horseman's Pick
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:59:39 pm by Wannabehero »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 04:13:11 am »

did anyone ever test DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_BATTLEAXE or something similar?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 04:23:07 am »

I think that would require Axe-Dwarves to be digging.... Meh. I like Wannabehero's Battepicks.

Wait. If you are digging with a weapon... :O YOU ARE TRULY STRIKING THE EARTH!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 12:34:06 pm »

I think that would require Axe-Dwarves to be digging.... Meh. I like Wannabehero's Battepicks.

Urist McMiner has struck the earth.
The severed part flies off in an ark!
An artery in the earth has been opened.
Urist McMiner is caught in a cloud of boiling magma!
Urist McMiner has bled to death.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 08:00:28 pm »

Urist McMiner has struck the earth.
The severed part flies off in an ark!
An artery in the earth has been opened.
Urist McMiner is caught in a cloud of boiling magma!
Urist McMiner has bled to death.

Mind if I quote this?
Pages: [1] 2