Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: BM: Sprint Redux! - The Age of Lead - Day Three - GAME OVER - MAFIA WIN  (Read 51951 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: BM: Sprint Redux! - The Age of Lead - Day Three - GAME OVER - MAFIA WIN
« Reply #255 on: December 09, 2013, 04:20:34 pm »

NQT, I think everyone's fears here about the town being underpowered in Sprint games is too early to call. Besides, this was a game in which the playing IC was also part of the Mafia - I know, I know, that possibility is supposed to be there, but it doesn't happen often and could just as easily have skewed the game in favour of the Mafia. So could a host of other factors.

There's a reason the cop is Macho, and that is because a non-macho cop will break a game also containing sensible players and a doctor. Yes, one could change the roles to something else, but cops and doctors are about as easy and as basic as you can get. I don't think the familiarity and ease-of-use factor is anything to sniff at.

But again, it's too early to call, in my opinion. This is just the first game, and we've managed to show that people can stick to it for a week and play with enthusiasm. That alone seems promising.

Agreed. I think we need at least five more. ;D The sprints could really open up activity in this forum too, since everyone will know there's a hard limit on the days, and we can have more games to develop this forum's flavor of tells and traps and tactics.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 09, 2013, 04:27:52 pm »

This was fun to watch.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 09, 2013, 05:55:33 pm »

Doctor Cop combo wouldn't work because of counter claiming?

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 09, 2013, 06:21:34 pm »

Cop claims. Doctor protects each night. So long as Doctor lives, Cop can't be NK'd.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 09, 2013, 06:50:01 pm »

The deadline rules and the poor play with regards to roleclaims broke this game massively in favour of the mafia.  This setup has to be hammers, or at least some ruleset where plurality lynches don't happen - you need the chance for an L-1 claim, a doctor lynch day one shouldn't be possible.

> The cop SHOULD DARN WELL CLAIM.
If I were ICing I would've posted nothing but this in size 36 red text until the cop claimed.  There's no point in keeping your identity secret if doing so makes the town lose.

For this setup, the following claiming rules can always be followed:
- Claim if you are about to be lynched
- Claim if it is lylo
- Claim if you know who the last mafia member is
- Don't claim if it's any other situation except mylo, which is a slightly grey area

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 09, 2013, 06:58:52 pm »

WHY CAN'T YOU QUOTE PROPERLY?

It has been driving me crazy. I need to know the answer.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 09, 2013, 07:01:11 pm »

Doctor/Cop at 7p is actually a relatively balanced game, but it's strange because the correct play is for the cop to claim on day one.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2013, 07:21:24 pm »

Good game everyone! I massively enjoyed my first game as scum. Being scum can be a little more stressful, but much more fun than being town is. At least I don't get the worried, what if he's town, feeling when I lynch someone.

Recommendation: It's always really interesting to read the scumchat and reread the game with it after a game.

Well played to the scum team! I really believed my own arguments at the end there were right. Turns out they were half-right.
I was kind of aiming for that. My goal was to get other people to believe my notion of a Pufferfish and Tiruin scumteam and was one reason why I had voted Tiruin when she disappeared and kept my vote on her when she had returned. My reasoning was that if Puff got lynched it was game over, and if Tiruin got lynched I'd be able to convince people to lynch Puff. When Tiruin started voting me it just made it more believable. Thanks Tiruin!

I'd consider possibly replacing the macho cop with a macho day cop to give town a bit of a headstart. But maybe someone else has a reason why that wouldn't work. We'd probably have to run this a few more times to know how pro-scum or town it is.
Maybe have the cop be able to inspect on N0 would give town an advantage. One thing I liked about the game was that there was no Scum IC. I feel that if an IC is  mafia, you don't really need to worry about a Scum IC. Also one disadvantage was the two most experienced players were the ones who were scum.

Darn it, Tiruin, as soon as I died I knew it was you. Were you afraid I was going to build on that last FoS?
Actually I'm the one who decided to kill you. Although, if it wasn't for a time mixup, Puff would have been the N1 night kill. I think it was better this way, though, cause I had a better case against Puff.

Wow damnit haha, I was going to switch my vote to Persus. I was convinced SBC and Persus were the scum-pair :P
My big worry and why I stopped defending SBC was because I was defending him and attacking you.

I enjoyed playing with you newer guys, Makeinu and Elephant. I hope you keep playing Mafia. I may have differences about scumhunting with Puff, but let's see what happens when I'm on the same team as you.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2013, 07:37:17 pm »

Haha, I'm still figuring out my own game, Persus, I've still got a lot I need to work on :)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2013, 08:14:01 pm »

After thinking about this game some, I think the people I would have voted for if I were in would have been Pufferfish and Tiruin.
The reason for that is that I mistook Puffer's statement on the attack on claiming cops as a scum-tell, rather than a cop-tell (which I think others did, as well.)
And as for Tiruin, I thought she was scum because from the other games I've watched, she's usually a lot better about ICing, then this time around. Of course, you could chalk that up to this being a sprint game, but even with that, taking into account the amount Tiruin posted, I got the feeling that there should have been more.

So I would have accused Tiruin for a completely meta reason, that couldn't be justified within the game without it just looking like whining.
So I probably would have voted for Pufferfish, in the end.

I don't think I'd be very good at this game.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2013, 08:21:22 pm »

Well played to the scum team! I really believed my own arguments at the end there were right. Turns out they were half-right.
I was kind of aiming for that. My goal was to get other people to believe my notion of a Pufferfish and Tiruin scumteam and was one reason why I had voted Tiruin when she disappeared and kept my vote on her when she had returned. My reasoning was that if Puff got lynched it was game over, and if Tiruin got lynched I'd be able to convince people to lynch Puff. When Tiruin started voting me it just made it more believable. Thanks Tiruin!

In retrospect, that's easy to see, but at the time, I had to take the antagonism at face value. Thinking it of distancing meant that I'd have to consider that with the others as well, and then I'n drunk on the WIFOM.

At least I settled on the actual scum in my pair when I voted. :P
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2013, 08:24:17 pm »

So I would have accused Tiruin for a completely meta reason, that couldn't be justified within the game without it just looking like whining.

Sometimes, unfortunately, meta is all you have to start probing with. The player's style just feels off, so you dig.

We have one player in the other games I play that refuses to lie or break promises unless she specifically announces that she's going to do so at the beginning of the game. She's a good mod, but a lousy player, in that her tells are completely obvious. If she's quiet, she's scum.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2013, 08:34:05 pm »

In retrospect, that's easy to see, but at the time, I had to take the antagonism at face value. Thinking it of distancing meant that I'd have to consider that with the others as well, and then I'n drunk on the WIFOM.

At least I settled on the actual scum in my pair when I voted. :P

Sometimes, unfortunately, meta is all you have to start probing with. The player's style just feels off, so you dig.

We have one player in the other games I play that refuses to lie or break promises unless she specifically announces that she's going to do so at the beginning of the game. She's a good mod, but a lousy player, in that her tells are completely obvious. If she's quiet, she's scum.
Game's over. You can edit posts again.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 09, 2013, 09:49:26 pm »

After thinking about this game some, I think the people I would have voted for if I were in would have been Pufferfish and Tiruin.
The reason for that is that I mistook Puffer's statement on the attack on claiming cops as a scum-tell, rather than a cop-tell (which I think others did, as well.)
And as for Tiruin, I thought she was scum because from the other games I've watched, she's usually a lot better about ICing, then this time around. Of course, you could chalk that up to this being a sprint game, but even with that, taking into account the amount Tiruin posted, I got the feeling that there should have been more.

Yeah, that's what I think too..
> The cop SHOULD DARN WELL CLAIM.
If I were ICing I would've posted nothing but this in size 36 red text until the cop claimed.  There's no point in keeping your identity secret if doing so makes the town lose.

For this setup, the following claiming rules can always be followed:
- Claim if you are about to be lynched
- Claim if it is lylo
- Claim if you know who the last mafia member is
- Don't claim if it's any other situation except mylo, which is a slightly grey area
I suck at IC'ing properly >_>

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 09, 2013, 10:04:56 pm »

What's mylo?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19