Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 54

Author Topic: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - Chester crashes the party.  (Read 58919 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - an RTD of survival in a new home.
« Reply #375 on: December 16, 2013, 11:21:27 am »

You gather a thick bundle of cables and start threading them together. When you're done, you have more than ten meters of wires separating you and all the explodifying action. You tape the charge to the door with some band-aids from Kathryn's medkit and take cover behind a pod, holding the wires in your hands. Now you just need a power source...
- Hey, cyborg! Yes, I mean you, metalhanded-Will! Come over here! All the others - get cover.
When Will approaches my hideout behind droppod, pass him the cables i hold in my hands and ask him to put some electricity through those. When he does, yell FIRE IN THE HOLE!
Find something to hide behind then shock the cables.

" Yeah yeah I get the idea, I was busy whooping this guy in arm wrestling."
[6] The lot of you crouch behind a pod. Will flexes his fingers, then grabs on to the wires and activates the shock system, sending power coursing through the metal. There is a deafening bang. Your ears ring, and you feel the pressure wave resonating in your chest cavities. Daylight filters in through several small breaches in the outer wall where jagged bits of door have scythed through it.
[5] A few pods on the top layer of scaffolding groan and shift, but it holds.
The door is now blasted open, and you can see indistinct forms inside the pods. There is a slight draft from outside: the air inside the ship is much thinner than outside, out of weight considerations. It normalizes after a few seconds, however.

Meanwhile, back at the camp...
Everett Owen emerges from the mess hall, goes down the stairs and, standing on the threshold, lights a cigarette. He hears the distinctive low hum of a mining laser somewhere to the south. A few people are returning to camp from the river in the west.
He takes a drag from the cig and considers his next action.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Hold up.
Move forwards and check for signs of life.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go in and check the pods
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

- Woo-hoo, that was a good blast!

Go after Sean, SMG ready for action. Also, look for something catchy, shiny, smelly, stabby or shooty to loot it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 02:09:35 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In case of misunderstandings.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hold up.
Move forwards and check for signs of life.
Striding in with your rifle at the ready, you sweep the area for hostiles. As far as you can see, there is nothing moving. The whole first floor is filled with massive (as tall as a man) shipping containers, which are painted burgundy and bolted to the floor. On the containers' sides are corporate logos: dozens of them. In the center of the room, there is an elevator tube, and there are stairs to the side of it.

- Woo-hoo, that was a good blast!

Go after Sean, SMG ready for action. Also, look for something catchy, shiny, smelly, stabby or shooty to loot it.
You follow Sean, and decide to stop for a spot of looting after seeing the containers. Rubbing your hands together, you approach one and rip it open with a single powerful tug. Inside, the container is full of crates. You take one out and open it.
[2]Hmm... Underpants? You check the label, and it says "Underwear, thermal, unisex. Made in Switzerland." Oh well. You appear to have collected some underpants, so you are well on your way to PROFIT.

Go in and check the pods
You approach the most well-lit pod and look in.
Gods. The colonist is still in under the stasis coffin's glass, and she's dead. Very definitely dead. Her eyes appear to have popped, and her skin has turned a livid purple-black colour, like a huge bruise: the capillaries must have burst under all those extra gees. Her breathing apparatus is still covering the lower half of her face, but the lights on the life-support system panel are off, and the tubes which were supposed to supply stasis fluid are leaking. You shut the door quickly, and go check the next pod.
This time it's a man. Also dead.
Next pod. Dead.
Your head swims a bit as you realize that you are surrounded by rows upon rows of corpses in metal eggs, squished as their own weight became many times normal. Weight equals minus g by m. High-school. Meat buns. You suppress hysterics.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You follow Sean, and decide to stop for a spot of looting after seeing the containers. Rubbing your hands together, you approach one and rip it open with a single powerful tug. Inside, the container is full of crates. You take one out and open it.
[2]Hmm... Underpants? You check the label, and it says "Underwear, thermal, unisex. Made in Switzerland." Oh well. You appear to have collected some underpants, so you are well on your way to PROFIT.

- Might be useful.
I keep a pair of my size. In case something scary lurks below. Or above. I put them in my pants rear pocket. Then proceed to another crate.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:42:47 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Look for anything useful.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shock them with my hands to try reviving them. Try everybody.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- Someone please stop Will before he tries to do other un-natural things to the corpses. Anyway, stop disturbing the dead. They were instantly killed hours ago.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:57:47 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"So? If I can get the heart beating then I can save some of them. What do we lose by trying? People had friends and family here I'm not going to surrender without a fight. I can rebuild bodies and rebuild the brain no matter how far gone they are all I need is a pulse.

Failing that I'll take DNA from every single one and rebuild them from scratch. These people deserve a life and they'll have one if it kills me.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:18:26 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Well, lets see what they want me to do. And I wonder what kit they have extra...
Edgar goes looking for somesort of job, then for the armory.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile

Markus shrugged. "Alright. Let's get home alive first, eh?"

Continue to the camp.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- Ah, do what you want, Will. I'll be looking for crash reasons.
Keep looking for things I've already described. Ah, and any electronics that seem to work.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:42:54 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Look for anything useful.
[4] After some digging through a few containers, you open one that seems to be full of medical supplies. Most of it is basic first-aid stuff - bandages and such - but there is a small case of combat stim in the corner. There is enough for five normal doses. You remember taking some back in Africa - the heady rush of power, the feeling of euphoria mixed with a hyperactive desire for action - brilliant tactical decisions flashing through your mind - wounds scabbing over in seconds... The heavy, suffocating numbness afterwards. You pocket the case.

Shock them with my hands to try reviving them. Try everybody.
You spend a lot of time opening glass coffins, trying to return life to the dead. The flesh is pasty under your hands, and your fingers leave black prints on the purple as you send hundreds of volts through the corpses. They do not move. There is no blood in their veins, and stasfluid can't support normal organ activity without outside motivation - it preserves and nourishes, but it also depresses the nervous system to the point where it barely works. The blood is stored in tanks, and ought to be poured back and heated quite precisely. Besides, you aren't sure if their hearts are even functional anymore - the hydrostatic shock could have torn them apart. You try another and another, but it doesn't seem to be working.

- Ah, do what you want, Will. I'll be looking for crash reasons.
Keep looking for things I've already described. Ah, and any electronics that seen to work.
You pocket the undies, just in case. Don't want any potty accidents, do we?
[4] You find a barrel grenade which can be fired from the Izhmash, carefully wrapped away in a case of socks. It is marked with a green stripe, and bears the letter C on one side. Somebody probably thought to smuggle it in, but you doubt they'll be needing it now.
There are wires on the walls, going down from the ceiling to go through and disappear in hermetically-sealed holes. You go to check: yes, they connect to the pods on the outside. [1] Maybe they deliver electrocandy to stop the robots from rising against their fleshy overlords? You bite your nails, fighting a sudden but acute case of the retardeds.

Well, lets see what they want me to do. And I wonder what kit they have extra...
Edgar goes looking for somesort of job, then for the armory.
Despite having an identity crisis about your name, you ask the comm system in general if there is any work for an engineer. After a few seconds, you are answered by Al-Radi.
"It's becoming increasingly clear to me that we need a wall of some sort - another colonist just got savaged by the wildlife. I don't know about the others, but I don't fancy checking around for chitterlings every time I decide to leave the ship. However, we have no materials except wood in the forest and containers, and no vehicles, either. If you could just manage something with what we have..?"
There is a pause, then he adds: "Feel free to ask the quartermaster for whatever you need for the task, if you take it up."

Markus shrugged. "Alright. Let's get home alive first, eh?"

Continue to the camp.
[environment:5] You get back without accident. Quite a crowd has gathered to admire your catch, as well as a few biologists with samplers.
"All right. I dunno about you, but I'm going to go have a drink. You going?"

IMPORTANT NOTE: Pick one: Agility (general athletics and acrobatics), Dexterity (how good you are with your hands), Intelligence (science and operating with known data), Common Sense (making assumptions and extrapolation), Strength (punching people in the face), Toughness (taking it like a person of whatever gender you are and carrying weights). Then pick two profession bonuses, like marksmanship, engineering, or whatever. Don't make those too broad.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 54