Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54

Author Topic: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - Chester crashes the party.  (Read 58758 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - an RTD of survival in a new home.
« Reply #240 on: December 11, 2013, 04:32:24 pm »

Go ask around in the mess for fishers.
[6] You climb up to the mess and ask loudly if anyone wants to go fishing with you. For a few moments, everyone is silent. Then suddenly, a lithe, muscular form rises from behind a crate, bottle in hand.
"Oh aye, I'll go with you, kid. Good for the soul, fishing."
The speaker is over two meters tall and possesses the most luxurious mustache you have ever seen: it is even braided.
"The name's Moshe, Moshe Himmelman. Formerly of the Israeli Defense Force. Yours?"

Put on equipment, and begin digging a well. We'll need water.
You suddenly decide the camp needs water. You go outside and start digging through crystallized water to get at the soil below. Then you try to dig, but the ground is too frozen for that. You look past the ship to the frozen water-covered body of water to the west. Hmm.

Run the deep scan.

Taking the arm off again, you set it into the clamp and run the deep-mapper. [5] There are a few missing spots on the resulting blueprint where the manufacturer decided to shield some of their secrets, but you know what's supposed to be there - you're quite sure you can make another arm just like your right one.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:45:27 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 11, 2013, 04:46:45 pm »

Gather together all the parts I need and begin building one identical to my one for my other arm. Save the blueprint to the computer in my head.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2013, 04:56:20 pm »

"Yes, actually-though, not for the reason you might think.

I can use a single one of those cigarettes (assuming they are real) to synthesize it's genome-a fresh, healthy sample. I can then crossbreed and acclimate tobacco seeds that will thrive in the Borean soil. I am almost the only person among either our vessel or the Jah's Home with the knowledge of how to do this. Even, it might take almost 10 years for the first healthy plant to grow outside of a lab. By then, I'll likely have more than a few students of the craft.

For at least that time, unless circumstance takes me, a person like myself is the most likely to succeed. You might smoke natural tobacco again in your 40's. I can have a lab ready sample much quicker, though it will likely not be terribly appetizing.

Now, apply this lesson to other things-such as fresh tomatoes or threaded beef. The effect of the radiation that comes from our new sun on our genome. Or the cataloging of the numerous Borean virus's which are running in your bloodstream at this very moment. It's my job to study these things-to make sure we, and our coming generations acclimate to the world, instead of forcing it to change to us-a battle we attempted on Earth, and ultimately failed.

You call me less than a human, and perhaps that is true, but would you trust something so important as the building blocks of not only your life, but all life to come, to anyone or anything less than someone like me?"

Another cloud of smoke came out of his nostrils.
- You know, I'm not saying that you're less than a human. Moreover, I think you're something above it. Above me. Folks like you, they're dealing big games, games where life and death are nothing more than just another obstacle to overcome. Some of those people are scientists - they're taking care of  the whole of humanity and often they end up in obscurity, only a few of them widely-known. Folks like me - they are never supposed to become something that will escape oblivion. So often they don't care about anything except their own miserable interests. And I'm no exception. That is why I've said I can't understand you - I'm just a creature one step below you.
The last sentence he said sounded like a sudden revelation - and it truly was.

((Wil be off at least 12 hours - sorry guys, but I have to))
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:30:41 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2013, 05:45:06 pm »

Gather together all the parts I need and begin building one identical to my one for my other arm. Save the blueprint to the computer in my head.
You get your parts together and begin construction. After some work-intensive time, you inspect the end result. It is not exactly identical to the D.I.A arm, but at least it's not so painfully mismatched. There are three weapon hardpoints, but you have nothing to attach to them. Will have to wait until you get the factory running, you suppose.

((Question: what two profession bonuses you think your characters should have? I reserve the right to nerf them if they're OP. Also, just out of personal interest, what are your timezones?))
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 11, 2013, 05:49:49 pm »

(( I'm UK. 3 hardpoints? So the one I had already is incomplete? because it only had 1 weapon unless the electric hand is a weapon.

I'd go for cybernetic design, and then cybernetic construction but I kinda need surgery as well it'd suck to kill the person I'm bolting it onto. Do I have the shock system in the hand and no inhibitor in it? ))
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:56:59 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2013, 05:58:56 pm »

(( I'm UK. 3 hardpoints? So the one I had already is incomplete?

I'd go for cybernetic design, and then cybernetic construction but I kinda need surgery as well it'd suck to kill the person I'm bolting it onto. Do I have the shock system in the hand and no inhibitor in it? ))
((Ah, yes - two hardpoints, you have the shock system in the knock-off hand too, since you need no special parts to make it. You have a free hardpoint in the brand hand - the one the bomb was attached to. The knock-off has a limiter, and the brand doesn't. Switch to your left hand for your happy alone times.))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 11, 2013, 06:00:37 pm »

(( Pft thats for weaklings :P. ))

REMOVE THE INHIBITOR!!!!!! Then ask the other doctor to bolt on my new arm for me. Go to the armory and request 2 chainguns, or failing that 2 assault rifles and request 2 wide blades if we have any.
Caine's law.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 11, 2013, 06:06:31 pm »

Another cloud of smoke came out of his nostrils.
- You know, I'm not saying that you're less than a human. Moreover, I think you're something above it. Above me. Folks like you, they're dealing big games, games where life and death are nothing more than just another obstacle to overcome. Some of those people are scientists - they're taking care of  the whole of humanity and often they end up in obscurity, only a few of them widely-known. Folks like me - they are never supposed to become something that will escape oblivion. So often they don't care about anything except their own miserable interests. And I'm no exception. That is why I've said I can't understand you - I'm just a creature one step below you.
The last sentence he said sounded like a sudden revelation - and it truly was.

"I think you are merely Human-and prone to flaw as anyone is. I am aware that a world filled with versions of only myself would be terrible-a place with no color, or life, no vigor. A creation without flaw is necessarily lifeless and sterile...If the world needs people like me to make life better...then, it needs people like you to actually live that life. You have a future on Boreas I will not live to see-clones of my generation begin to steadily degrade at 40 years, and rarely live to see 50. I can only hope everything I do is worth it to people like yourself-to consign me either to oblivion or acclaim, I know not.

Perhaps you cannot understand me now, but...a selfless nature is learned, not inherited. It is a brave thing you do now, coming out to the Jah's Home with us. There is little hope of reward or acclaim. It may only earn you, or all of us, a swift death. Maybe you have ulterior movies. But, you are doing something of your own free will-an act of thought, and conscience. And, I do not think anyone is beyond redemption."
She says, her voice only slightly moving in emotion now.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 11, 2013, 06:15:25 pm »

(( Pft thats for weaklings :P. ))

REMOVE THE INHIBITOR!!!!!! Then ask the other doctor to bolt on my new arm for me. Go to the armory and request 2 chainguns, or failing that 2 assault rifles and request 2 wide blades if we have any.
You sigh: something seems to be wrong. Ah. The inhibitor. Who the hell needs that anyway? You promptly remove it, then put the arm back on very, very carefully. Grinning, you spend a few minutes imitating a hummingbird, then descend to the armory and ask for two rifles and two knives. Matveenko isn't amused.
"Two rifles? Qualified soldiers got one each, and you want two just so you can tinker with them? Dude, we'll get the factory running shortly, so wait for it, will ya? As for the blades, here you go." He gets you the knives, then seems to relent a bit.[4] "Okay, so you need two guns, right? Here's another pistol."

((You don't need the other doc to put your arms back on - surgery is needed only to install the sockets.))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2013, 06:17:59 pm »

"Markus Calion. Central American fisher boy, if you will. Nice to have someone on board, I'm not very well liking how the wild sounds right now. It's certainly better than where I used to live, but still. Get some basic gear and we'll head off, I already have the more advanced equipment needed."

Proceed.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 11, 2013, 06:25:02 pm »

" Could I trade you some explosives for the rifles? Your shorter on that then guns and if I fiddle with it I'm liable to level half the base. "

Try to trade. Tinker with the arms, attach the knives into the tops of the wrists on both arms so I can extend them out when needed, build the pistol in to match the one in the other arm if I don't get the rifles, if I do remove the gun from the other arm and build a rifle into both to extend from the bottom of my wrists.

Caine's law.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 11, 2013, 06:32:46 pm »

" Could I trade you some explosives for the rifles? Your shorter on that then guns and if I fiddle with it I'm liable to level half the base. "

Try to trade. Tinker with the arms, attach the knives into the tops of the wrists on both arms so I can extend them out when needed, build the pistol in to match the one in the other arm if I don't get the rifles, if I do remove the gun from the other arm and build a rifle into both to extend from the bottom of my wrists.
((The Saigon is an assault rifle that slightly longer than your arm, and most of it is important parts. I'm having trouble seeing how you could integrate it. The gun in your right arm is little more than a tube and a really flat loading system. Remodeling regular weaponry to be integrable is juuust possible with pistols, but the rifles... Hardly. ))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 11, 2013, 06:39:08 pm »

(( Pistol it is then. ))
Caine's law.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 11, 2013, 07:28:26 pm »

"Markus Calion. Central American fisher boy, if you will. Nice to have someone on board, I'm not very well liking how the wild sounds right now. It's certainly better than where I used to live, but still. Get some basic gear and we'll head off, I already have the more advanced equipment needed."

Proceed.
You head down to the armory, where the quartermaster hands Moshe his rifle and a bag of round objects, then you walk out into the sun. Crossing the distance to the river takes only a few minutes. You walk out on the ice and look around. Moshe asks, "So, what next?"

You get the knives rigged up first: it's not very difficult, you just remove the handles, and they're good to go. The pistol presents a problem, unlike the blades. [5-1] You disassemble it expertly, then remove everything you don't need and saw off more than half the mag to make it fit. Surprisingly, the whole procedure turns out rather well, even your arms don't hinder you much. You make a mental effort, and two short barrels jut out from under your arms' plating with an ominous click. Another effort, and they're replaced by two knife blades. Lock and load.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 11, 2013, 07:29:33 pm »

((Sleepy time. Be back in a few hours.))
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54