Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was your favorite part of the journey?

GOBLINS! AND LOTS OF THEM!
- 0 (0%)
The assassins in the town!
- 1 (11.1%)
Gonzou suiciding!
- 1 (11.1%)
The shadow monster encounters of all kinds!
- 0 (0%)
The mountains!
- 0 (0%)
The werewolf incident with Nadarr, leading to us getting arrested!
- 2 (22.2%)
The bandit camp side quests!
- 0 (0%)
The fortress upper levels! (Necromancers, gate, madmen)
- 1 (11.1%)
The caverns! (Dragon, Cotl, Cave Crocs)
- 2 (22.2%)
The Fortress lower levels! (Maze, Grot/Symon/Gonzou Fight, Husks)
- 0 (0%)
The flesh party that was the final battle!
- 0 (0%)
The epilogue (and the end of almost two years of madness)
- 2 (22.2%)
None! It sucked!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 344

Author Topic: Lets Play Dungeons and Dragons (4th Edition): 86 Days Remain...  (Read 341023 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Dungeons and Dragons (4th Edition): Cotl, The Great Burrower
« Reply #4500 on: August 22, 2014, 05:56:20 pm »

Ready Curse of the Dark Dream, and pull it straight up.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: August 23, 2014, 04:09:03 am »

((Oh hey, you mentioned Alexander has to make a death save - if he's exactly at 0 hp, shouldn't he be unconscious but not dying? I thought dying only happened at -1 through -9, butt that might just be my experience with the old rules speaking.))

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: August 23, 2014, 08:15:47 am »

((I just gave it a quick check and it's a bit messy about it. It says that at 0 HP or below your character is unconscious and dying. However, if you manage to roll a 20 or more, you spend a healing surge and regardless at how much HP you were [Like if you were at say -1] you'd go back to 0 HP at which state you are not dying, but merely conscious and prone.

This begs the question whether you need to expend a healing surge to be at 0 HP and not be dying or just being at 0 HP is enough.

After a further bit of reading, it also reads another thing that makes it even harder to understand. It says that as soon as you have a total hitpoint that's higher [doesn't say equal] than 0, you become conscious and prone.

If I was a DM, however, the way I'd interpret these rules is that if you're at 0 HP, you're dying and need a 20+ roll for a normal healing surge which would be used to stop you from dying [after which you'd need another one to increase your health beyond 0 HP. But even if you don't you'd be conscious after the first surge. However if you're in the negative state [-1 for example] then if you got a 20+, you'd be at 0 HP but conscious and prone, unlike the previous example.

In the end, it depends on the DM and interpretation of a situation. I like to think that the shock of Alexander breaking his arm is what made him slip into unconsciousness.))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:17:21 am by apiks »
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: August 23, 2014, 03:51:03 pm »

((I just gave it a quick check and it's a bit messy about it. It says that at 0 HP or below your character is unconscious and dying. However, if you manage to roll a 20 or more, you spend a healing surge and regardless at how much HP you were [Like if you were at say -1] you'd go back to 0 HP at which state you are not dying, but merely conscious and prone.

This begs the question whether you need to expend a healing surge to be at 0 HP and not be dying or just being at 0 HP is enough.

After a further bit of reading, it also reads another thing that makes it even harder to understand. It says that as soon as you have a total hitpoint that's higher [doesn't say equal] than 0, you become conscious and prone.

If I was a DM, however, the way I'd interpret these rules is that if you're at 0 HP, you're dying and need a 20+ roll for a normal healing surge which would be used to stop you from dying [after which you'd need another one to increase your health beyond 0 HP. But even if you don't you'd be conscious after the first surge. However if you're in the negative state [-1 for example] then if you got a 20+, you'd be at 0 HP but conscious and prone, unlike the previous example.

In the end, it depends on the DM and interpretation of a situation. I like to think that the shock of Alexander breaking his arm is what made him slip into unconsciousness.))
((Here's the easy bit:

You're knocked to 0hp, meaning you have no more energy left to fight. You need to get a 20 or higher (you get a + to death saves with feats, class, race, gear, etc.) to will yourself to get back up and fight. You then spend a healing surge (it still works if you have 0 if I recall, but only works once per encounter) and regain your surge value as if your HP total was 0. So say Isbat, who was at -8hp gains lay on hands, he gains 12hp. He doesn't go to 4hp, but he instead goes up to 12, as if his HP total was 0. -hp always is a mark of how much damage you take after being knocked out. Its pretty much the equivalent of slitting their wrist or throat to finish them off, or hacking at them to make sure they're dead.

Once you regain that surge, you are prone but awake/alive. Why? You fell over when you got knocked out (unless you somehow manage to stand when you die, but you're knocked out and probably took a hit that will push you over).

Here's an example, as Death9980 will remember from our campaign.

Olon, the artificer, was knocked out by Dar Jeeki, the monk after being pummeled to -11 (daily powers suck) and then taking another 6 damage from flurry of blows for good measure. Olon is at -17 and is dying. He rolls a d20 on his death save and rolls a 19. He has a +2 to death saves from his armor (haunted leather) and even though he hasn't failed his death saves today, he would gain a +5 to death saves and succeed on a 15 or higher. He gets back up for having 21 (higher then 20) and heals his surge value back up to 16hp left instead of not being able to get back up since his surge value is lower then the damage he has sustained when down.))

((Oh hey, you mentioned Alexander has to make a death save - if he's exactly at 0 hp, shouldn't he be unconscious but not dying? I thought dying only happened at -1 through -9, butt that might just be my experience with the old rules speaking.))
((He's dying. You're thinking of stabilizing which I believe send him to 0hp but no longer has to make death saves))

((Dunno what you expect me to do, really.))

Ready an Action: Acid Orb on the creature the instant it emerges.
Ready Curse of the Dark Dream, and pull it straight up.
Move to stand beside the pillar, take a health potion, and ready Erupting Flare.

Thoradin goes up to Cromwell and (?) administers first aid, giving Cromwell (8)hp

Move to Isbat, use Lay on Hands on Isbat, and drink a potion for Karl
Move to Isbat, use Lay on Hands on Isbat, and drink a potion for Karl
Thanks for the help my friend
(and when it gets to me)
standard: second wind
minor: drink a heath potion
action point: ready greenflame blade for the giant worm

Karl regains (10)hp from his potion and heals Isbat for (12)hp. Isbat second winds and downs a potion himself, healing him for a total of (22)hp extra. You are at 36hp. You ready your blade as you all feel the tremor rising in intensity.

You all feel the calm before the storm; if this fails, surely some of you will die. Karl swears he sees the image of a woman at the corner of his eye, but its gone as you hear the great blast as the wurm rises from the earth! (4+5) Weston's acid orb misses, but manages to dislodge his dagger! (CRIT) Cromwell's power explodes out of his rod, psychic energy bursting forth and hurling the beast out of the ground! Though the best takes no fall damage, Cromwell deals (10+10+10+5+2) psychic damage! (19+7) Nadarr's blast of fire envelops the beast, turning Cromwell's dark and fell aura surrounding the beast and turning the flames red with purple! Your flames deal (2+6+7) fire damage! Isbat swings his blade as the flames envelop the beast! (14+11) Your flames lick the beast, creating a giant inferno with Nadarr's burning hands. The flames turn a strange, bright maroon color! You deal (7+6) fire damage!

The beast's attack still goes off, but in a reduced strength! (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) He misses everyone but deals (18) damage to everyone! ((wow that was a lot for half damage on a miss)) Weston, Nadarr and Cromwell collapse, but they're safe, as the beast dies almost immediatley after its barrage of stones fly out and pummel the party. Karl, Thoradin and Isbat stand firm as the beast roars and then falls.

Cotl, the Great Burrower, The Forgotten Beast, The Feathered Serpent, has finally been defeated.

Everyone gains 420xp. Karl gains an additional 180xp for his well played attack. Everyone who wasn't level 4 (Weston, Cromwell, Alexander, Thoradin) is now level 4. ((I require two ability scores to increase by +1 and then a feat))

Thoradin administers first aid to the fallen party members, except for Alexander, who is still at the bottom of the hole. Thoradin asks if anyone has a rope or chain longer then 50ft to see if Alexander is alright. Nadarr is out of healing surges and is stuck at 8hp. Weston shares the same fate and is stuck at 18hp. Everyone but Cromwell and Thoradin gain a milestone! (one additonal action point, etc.)

Alexander makes a death save (10) you succeed and still live but are dying.
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: August 23, 2014, 04:12:01 pm »

Nadarr grins and slaps Karl on the back.
An interesting re-entrance.

He then gives him and Isbat the end of his rope, and tells them to hold on fast. He then goes down the hole on his rope, using his wings to make himself lighter, and once at the bottom he stuffs a potion, Aurel style, down Alexander's throat.
You were brave, Nadarr grunts, but after looking at his broken arm he continues: But foolish.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: August 23, 2014, 04:16:36 pm »

After regaining consciousness he irritatedly grunts.

"Just tie me to the rope already and make somebody pull. I've had enough of this hole."
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: August 23, 2014, 04:18:52 pm »

Nadarr grins and slaps Karl on the back.
An interesting re-entrance.

He then gives him and Isbat the end of his rope, and tells them to hold on fast. He then goes down the hole on his rope, using his wings to make himself lighter, and once at the bottom he stuffs a potion, Aurel style, down Alexander's throat.
You were brave, Nadarr grunts, but after looking at his broken arm he continues: But foolish.
You start to descend down the dark cave, using your wings for balance. (12+2+?) You start to descend. You go down 40ft and Alexander makes another death save. (11) He succeeds. You climb down farthur. (20+2+?) You keep going and hit the bottom. Another death save (7) which is failed, and Nadarr returns Alexander back to the land of the living. You feel immense pain as your broken arm bends in the wrong way as you try to get yourself back up. Alexander takes the time to heal himself fully. Its dark, but Alexander's sunrod at his belt keeps the area lit, as well as Nadarr's staff. Now the next problem: getting Alexander out of the hole.

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: August 23, 2014, 04:21:03 pm »

Nadarr frowns.

You shouldn't have jumped into it if you didn't like it, then.

Nevertheless, he does as asked and calls to Karl and Isbat to gently pull him up, explaining about the broken arm.

As he waits for Alex to be hauled up, he carefully searches the hole for any further tunnels.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: August 23, 2014, 04:26:21 pm »

Nadarr frowns.

You shouldn't have jumped into it if you didn't like it, then.

Nevertheless, he does as asked and calls to Karl and Isbat to gently pull him up, explaining about the broken arm.

As he waits for Alex to be hauled up, he carefully searches the hole for any further tunnels.
Thoradin gives Isbat and Karl a hand in hoisting you both up. With their combined strength, they do so with ease.

Alexander and Nadarr are out of the pit. The party is reunited, but the way out of the caverns is still blocked by the dark wall.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: August 23, 2014, 04:29:07 pm »

"Karl, could you help me with this?"

Shows hand and does a heal check on it.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: August 23, 2014, 04:29:29 pm »

Karl takes hold of the rope and pulls back, taking his time to help bring Alexander up without causing him further harm by accidentally swinging him into a wall.

Karl takes 10 to do the job properly and not risk a fumble.

Once Alexander is back up top, Karl places his sunrod next to the entrance of the hole to give Nadarr a guide to return to.

"That was something like the craziest thing I've seen someone do in my life, Alex. What possessed you to jump in after that thing?"

Karl will either attempt a heal check on Alexander's arm or assist someone with a higher skill, and will use his Lay on Hands to provide magical healing as necessary.

Karl eyes the dark wall suspiciously. "The fact that the wall lingers is ominious. We can't risk another encounter in our current condition, we need to get back to the protected tomb to rest safely."

((Someone should do some checking around for treasure, though it seems like Cotl was brought here by Aurel, not that we fought it in its lair.

edit #2: Now that the encounter is over, highmax, care to share how we were supposed to do it, before the tactical paladin bomb went off in its stomach?))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:34:14 pm by Hanzoku »

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: August 23, 2014, 04:35:49 pm »

"Bah. Everything was doing fine until I slipped. The fall did me in, not the monster itself, which is ironic. After the bandits captured me I've had nothing but rotten luck. However I feel somehow stronger now. I believe the tides will be turning with the beast now dead. Let me try to touch the walls. Last time I did, they changed me somehow. Maybe it'll be better now."

After I'm all patched up and stuff, I go and touch the shadow walls.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:37:22 pm by apiks »
Founder of Teh LOLmod

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: August 23, 2014, 05:29:43 pm »

Karl takes hold of the rope and pulls back, taking his time to help bring Alexander up without causing him further harm by accidentally swinging him into a wall.

Karl takes 10 to do the job properly and not risk a fumble.

Once Alexander is back up top, Karl places his sunrod next to the entrance of the hole to give Nadarr a guide to return to.

"That was something like the craziest thing I've seen someone do in my life, Alex. What possessed you to jump in after that thing?"

Karl will either attempt a heal check on Alexander's arm or assist someone with a higher skill, and will use his Lay on Hands to provide magical healing as necessary.

Karl eyes the dark wall suspiciously. "The fact that the wall lingers is ominious. We can't risk another encounter in our current condition, we need to get back to the protected tomb to rest safely."

((Someone should do some checking around for treasure, though it seems like Cotl was brought here by Aurel, not that we fought it in its lair.

edit #2: Now that the encounter is over, highmax, care to share how we were supposed to do it, before the tactical paladin bomb went off in its stomach?))
((Attack its insides. You went a little overkill on it however))

"Bah. Everything was doing fine until I slipped. The fall did me in, not the monster itself, which is ironic. After the bandits captured me I've had nothing but rotten luck. However I feel somehow stronger now. I believe the tides will be turning with the beast now dead. Let me try to touch the walls. Last time I did, they changed me somehow. Maybe it'll be better now."

After I'm all patched up and stuff, I go and touch the shadow walls.
You and Karl try to patch you up. You use some junk you had to patch him up (socks for bandages and supports, the longspear shaft broken up to become a splint) and then perform heal checks. (18+10) (15+10) (20+8) (?) Your arm begins to patch up. It doesn't hurt so much, but you cant move it properly. You suspect you should keep off of it for awhile. It does seem that it will heal properly however, faster then it would naturally.

You walk up and touch the shadow wall as you have done before. You step back and feel something overtake you. You see visions of that bright but dark room again, where the figure in grey robes sits on his throne. He's a distance away, but the chains that were always there are gone now, and you feel something tearing you apart from the inside. You are jumped to another vision of Aurel in the previous room with his wicked grin. He chuckles, and then faces you and laughs like a madman. The entire party hears it, despite not sharing your vision. You then watch as the ground, now filled with runes that are dark, but don't seem to be fell, light up a bright blood crimson. You notice a small hint of ash on the ground. Aurel pours a hint of water and the ash begins to grow and malform. Slowly, it turns into what appears to be a baby, smaller then anything you have ever seen before, with a tail, and then grows quickly before your eyes; losing the tail, and turning more and more into a human shape. It then grows to the size of a human and then, before Aurel, lies what at first glance was a human, but then you see its hair and face; long and with a slight beard forming, and white. It hisses and its fangs reveal to you the vampirism that now plagues the newborn. He lies naked and starts to get up and crawl like an animal on all fours until Aurel grabs it by the throat and lifts the creature to its feet.

"Arise, Symon, and begin your life anew as my kin. Begin your new life as one of the Raven Queen's chosen and embrace the power of the Lord of the Abyss!"

Shadows overtake the creature and envelop him. The shadows leave within seconds and now stands the creature, fully armed to the teeth with a heavy flail with spikes and hooks attatched to it, and clothing of that of an aspiring warrior, with several belts and pockets on his battle harness. His cloak now is blood red, matching Aurel's cloak. His appearance, once frail and thin, now is burly and menacing. You think if the boy lived longer then sixteen, he would grow to look like this, minus the hair color change and the fangs. Aurel grasps the boy's shoulder and the two disappear into a horde of bats.

You are flung away from the wall and hit the floor. Though you do not notice it yourself, you appear to be fading. The dark wall now appears purple, not black, with swirls of dark mist flowing out of it and into you. When it ends, you feel like vomiting, but the fading stops. You now have a newfound power (i'll send a PM about it) and your arm is fully healed as if it was never broken. You take off the splint and see its perfectly fine, but your skin is pale.

The horde of bats reappears before the party, but a fair distance away, and Aurel and his newest kin stand before you. Symon, now reborn, snarls and hisses like a rabid animal, until Aurel grabs Symon by his hair and pulls his head up.

"Oh pity. I missed the best part it seems. But as you can see..."

He brings Symon closer to his face, taunting the party with a malicious and half maddened grin.

"I've been busy. Cotl may have been slain, but you still have a long ways to go before you can even THINK about righting everything here. Deeper and deeper you will go, but never will you reach the bottom where he waits. The beast of the caverns still awaits, and then you have myself and others to worry about...

Before we part again, here's some advice... The master keeps himself safe by keeping the strongest of his minions closest to him. The deeper you go, the stronger the enemy will be. If you truly think that his disciples are weak, then you haven't met the best of his followers. While I wait for you to join us down below, I'll be making sure Symon here is all proper for when you fight. I will enjoy watching you fight and kill the very child that you trusted and worked with. Farewell..."

Aurel and Symon disappear again into a horde of bats, following his insane laughter. The wall, now bereft of darkness, still stands in your way. Before you can do anything, Alexander begins to flicker in and out of existence, and then his eyes turn black and lifeless, with an aura of darkness surrounding them. He stands up and walks over to the wall and steps through it. Nothing seems to harm him as he does so, but he drops to his knees after he passes through. He regains his senses and realizes he's back inside the fortress. You look up and see holes higher up in the stairwell, but with the grappling hook and the right pacing, you could climb back up. Thoradin steps up and passes through the barrier and is unfazed. He steps back into the caverns and is still unfazed. He doesn't know why its there or what it does.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: August 23, 2014, 05:40:55 pm »

Stretches his arm as if it was never broken.

"Good as new."

He then goes back to the caverns.

"It seems harmless. We should rest in here a bit before moving on. With a grappling hook we can continue with the fortress. Shame about your boy, Symon."
Founder of Teh LOLmod

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: August 23, 2014, 05:42:20 pm »

Nadarr's jaw tight, and his hands clenched, he follows Thoradin muttering curses to the beast Aurel has become.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 344