Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87809 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #735 on: February 03, 2014, 04:47:46 am »

2 OOC cents from mechanics author here:
While you guys mostly come from modern western societies where adopting african children is acceptable and even fashionable, it was not so in roman and medieval societies.
If a high ranking patrician would purchase some slave infant on the marked, brought it(not "it", as in baby, but "it" as in owned animal) to the forum and told his friends that this "thing" is now to be considered a next-in-line of a long and honorable family.
"Is he serious?" "Is he drunk?" "Is this a new greek travesty or something?" "I do not want to be seen around this lunatic." "He is deranged and threatening to our society!" - would be thoughts of his friends. The loss of prestige/influence would be enormous. "You remember that Caligula guy, who made his horse a consul? This Cain guy went even further, naming a slave as his heir!"

So I do not consider it to be a great problem, or a too steep cost.
First of all because you recover that cost after death, as adopted also gets fraction of your influence.
Second is because family prestige is considered, so you can groom some family for adoptions by acclaiming them and helping them with other ways of getting influence beforehand. Adoption is a long-time strategy, and should not be easily done in just one move.
Third is because you can adopt not only children, but adults too. I have an NPC lover. Derpislava has an NPC husband and son(but well, you kicked her out of council, so she is basically on the same level as NPC peasants...). Neblime has a good chance to have children if he decides that he had enough of training so far and would like to rest with his lover a bit(well, you kicked Firecrazy too, but at least Neblime hogged a lot of influence on that senate re-shuffle affair).

And I think that flat % rate achieves our goals awesomely. Adoptions among the equals would not infer any severe boni or penalties, adoption from higher class would grant scaled boni, while adoption from lesser men would infer scaled penalties.
It sets preference for adoption in a way we want it:  higher class >= same class > lower class > NPC unmentionables.
higher class is more desired, but you have to appeal to the family somehow, so that +- equals it out for the "same class".
same class if easy and straight and should be the most common way to adopt.
lower class is undesirable, but at least you can groom the family for adoption by rising them a bit before adopting.
NPC unmentionables are a straight and square loss in all situations, except really poor peasants who have 0 influence regardless.

And of course it makes dwarven life of more influential dwarves and their families so much more valuable. While it may be a bit harsh on first adopters(Cain, Kerod), it will foster certain behavior in the future. At least we can expect that noble women will not throw themselves into the fray with their children on them, like Derpislava tried to do.

Also 10 influence is not that much if you think about it. You would still have a lot (14), and since you can now call a vote for smithy construction - you will likely get another 2 from it easily. And being such a talented architect - you will be hogging loads of influence in no time.

TL;DR version:
The mini-game of adoption is to guess when you will die, and then pass as much of your influence on your heir as you can. So adopt as late as you can.
Consider adopting adults.
Groom family before adoption.
NPC families are really the last resort if everything else fails.
Influence represents how valuable your voice is to others, so even if you lose some - you will probably regain it if people are still willing to listen to you.
If we change rate on influence transfer - we will need to change rates on influence gains and loses. This will probably be to cumbersome for such a small player base.

TL;DR TL;DR version (since TL;DR version can be TL):
Just give the system a chance, I know you will love it once you get accustomed to it.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 03, 2014, 03:38:48 pm »

OOC
Well I guess it is an investment, hope it pays out. It is far from the same as African kids though, adopting one of our own is different.

Well by the time I have 60 you will be all be serving High Lord Cain "The Voice of Gorgedadmired" anyway. Joking.

Um, do unmentionables even gain influence or dose it just disappear? Assuming it disappears.

Also if the dog gets approved I would like to know its name when it becomes available, but you know, requesting a dog is both pointless and a waste of resources, so meh.

IC
Well I would make an announcement, I will be taking Olin Blockadewire under my wing from today onward. She will be taught and trained, and through observing she will be better prepared for the life her family want for her.

Cain Tongstell (24-9=15)

I would also request a dog, untrained if we can spare no trained ones, to guard her, the reason should go without saying. I would take what precautions I can this time.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 03, 2014, 04:39:15 pm »

OOC
Well I guess it is an investment, hope it pays out. It is far from the same as African kids though, adopting one of our own is different.

Well by the time I have 60 you will be all be serving High Lord Cain "The Voice of Gorgedadmired" anyway. Joking.

Um, do unmentionables even gain influence or dose it just disappear? Assuming it disappears.

Also if the dog gets approved I would like to know its name when it becomes available, but you know, requesting a dog is both pointless and a waste of resources, so meh.

IC
Well I would make an announcement, I will be taking Olin Blockadewire under my wing from today onward. She will be taught and trained, and through observing she will be better prepared for the life her family want for her.

Cain Tongstell (24-9=15)

I would also request a dog, untrained if we can spare no trained ones, to guard her, the reason should go without saying. I would take what precautions I can this time.
OOC:
unmentionable heir becomes your mentionable (child), so that influence is not lost. Shared family prestige that would otherwise go to the unmentionable family is gone, I am afraid.

We have a ton of trained dogs running around, so that should not be too difficult to attach one to the Olin.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 03, 2014, 06:32:35 pm »

IC

Cain Tongstell (24-9=15)

IC: Oh, adopting a commoner? Is that the fashionable thing where your from? (^-^)

<mumble>... suppose the low born here are less concerning about their brood ... <mumblemumble>

I'll have to say it's quite an ... interesting decision. Really, you must tell us more of this child. (^-^)
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 03, 2014, 06:41:09 pm »

Neblime Inkydance (+23) Proposes the Guilds and Societies Act
I believe our settlement has grown to the point where individuals need to distuingish themselves not just as citizens, but as members of interntal groups, if they so desire, so here is what I propose:
A group may be proposed to the council, council members vote yes or no, if a majority agree the group may be formed.

Groups may internally determine how many members they desire, what are conditions for entry, and how members can be removed etc within themselves.
The founder of the group has absolute authority in determining what the group will do, it is up to them to decide if they wish to respect some sort of democratic system or not.

Groups may petition the council for property, labour and materials, council members voting yes or no.
Once the group owns property any person within that property is subject to their own laws (and still council laws) and their own punishments.
OOC
The main part of this I think is the OOC framework, if voted yes I'll commit this to the main rules until such time as the law is repealed;
only people with 3 or more influence may petition to start a group.

Groups themselves have influence and may be acclaimed and defamed as if they were a person, you may also give influence to a group as if it were a person.
Groups gain 1 influence for every 5 members
Groups can also gain influence when they gain labour/property, an artifact gives 2 influence, and property gives influence depending on size/prestige (we can discuss this when someone actually gets some)
When petitioning the council for labour/resources group influence is used, and if the group has more influence than a councillor they cannot vote no.
every time a group member is convicted of a crime that group loses 2 influence.
small edit - The council may vote to abolish a group, councillors cannot initiate or vote yes if they have less influence than the group in question
so.  get voting  :D

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:04:05 pm by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 03, 2014, 07:09:04 pm »

What did you say, commoner, lowborn? We will have to discuss this later Kerod, I would not spoil the day by putting you in your place.

Perhaps you forget I was injured in the accident that killed your woman. While I may have recovered I still need help with some things, the child will help me with these things, and in turn she will learn, become privy to knowledge that will help her in future. It helps us all Kerod.

You will get to know her soon enough, you will be seeing much of her, there is much she can learn from you.

I support the act, it would be nice to have frame work for any guilds in future.

For:2
Against:0

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 04, 2014, 02:53:13 am »

IC: A law limiting noble rights? Being pushed without any pressure from the commoners? Populism is definitely getting roots in our settlement...

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 04, 2014, 03:24:38 am »

What did you say, commoner, lowborn? We will have to discuss this later Kerod, I would not spoil the day by putting you in your place.

Perhaps you forget I was injured in the accident that killed your woman. While I may have recovered I still need help with some things, the child will help me with these things, and in turn she will learn, become privy to knowledge that will help her in future. It helps us all Kerod.

You will get to know her soon enough, you will be seeing much of her, there is much she can learn from you.

IC:
[rather insulted, before moving on in a vaguely appeasing manner]

So she is more like hired help? Why, I'm so envious, Cain has a servant, and I am vaguely staff-less. Though I suppose she will be helping to carry your things, or help you in and out of your chair, assistance you will rather need after that horrific accident.

No matter, no matter, I look forward to meeting your 'daughter' nonetheless, I am sure she will learn much from watching us. Why, under our councils tutelage she may grow up to be a fine young lady, yes?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 04, 2014, 05:10:59 am »

A law limiting noble rights? Being pushed without any pressure from the commoners? Populism is definitely getting roots in our settlement...
If you dislike the commoner's role in our society, why not vote against my laws.  Or do you not want the common people to suffer that much
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 04, 2014, 05:23:20 am »

If you dislike the commoner's role in our society, why not vote against my laws.  Or do you not want the common people to suffer that much

Well. Voting is one tool in political struugle, Passive-aggressive remarks is the other. Every situation needs it's custom tools, you know.

As for commoners - I do not know. It looks like they are pretty calm and happy as is. Definitely doesn't look like they will try to coup us or something :)

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 04, 2014, 09:20:24 am »

Neblime Inkydance (+23) Proposes the Guilds and Societies Act
I quite like the idea of this act/law. A question rests on my mind though, are groups and guild considered the same to this act? (I ask because they're two separate pages on the wiki.)

Quote from: neblime
Once the council owns property any person within that property is subject to their own laws (and still council laws) and their own punishments.
so.  get voting  :D
So a guild/group can make laws themselves without asking the council?

I vote for on this law, if a commoner may vote on guild framework. (I don't see if this is a council vote, although I assume it is.)

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 04, 2014, 11:23:53 am »

That may be a bit OP, oh well, a guild will take effort to make, they should have some power over the residents of said guild. Will just mean we will have to be creative in keeping you in line.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 04, 2014, 12:19:17 pm »

I am firing up the DF, so here will come a mini-update.
I will bury the dead, help the wounded,  build the factory, arm Mr. Mountain and locate Olin :)

God, this place is a mess. We do not even have enough beds in the hospital for all the wounded and crippled...
And we are almost out of soap. Only one bar is left. And we have our lye stocks frozen. And our doctor House Dashedsilver is sick...

Oh, well. I hope we will pull that off.
We also have some news from the outpost liaison, sot in the belly: he offered us a barony status. Do we want it? who would we promote if we do want it?
I'll try to have DF up with that dialog for a few more hours. Or I can start from the last save other day, as only few days passed from it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:45:59 pm by TeleDwarf »

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 04, 2014, 12:25:00 pm »

I am firing up the DF, so here will come a mini-update.
I will bury the dead, help the wounded,  build the factory, arm Mr. Mountain and locate Olin :)
If it makes it easier, she is Datan II's big sister. Where are we building the factory?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 04, 2014, 01:47:06 pm »

Where are we building the factory?

Any suggestions? I must build it, but noone actually told me where...

And do not forget to read that my previous post. there is important info added.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 60