Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 88036 times)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #540 on: January 20, 2014, 08:08:52 pm »

Aye, the meeting hall is for meetings.  Let us hear your side of this.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 20, 2014, 09:00:59 pm »

What do we have on the table for outstanding discussions/issues?  I thought they all go resolved, but I'm not entirely sure.

That would only depend on your personality/political ambition. Just imagine that you are there, in that weird settlement imagined by an elderly monarch. Situation is hard, but relatively bearable. What would you do? Would you really wait for few years to start proposing/scheming something?

EDIT - Cain walks!

OOC
Oh yeah, the save also showed Cain walking again, or crawling, so that won't be needed. Sorry, just checked the now.

Really? I remember him crawling around... Could I mess something up with DFFD? what is the save date? does it correlate with the date on map archive? is there evidence of surgery on Cain in the save?

That would be really embarrassing, but these things happen with inexperienced GMs like me.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 20, 2014, 09:53:21 pm »

Well it says he can't stand but I saw him hauling some rock someplace when I opened the save, so I assume he must be crawling or something.

Uploaded save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8254
This is the save I'm using, only unpaused it briefly (and even that took a bit, fort was not made for a laptop let me tell you that) to see if he was actually moving about, is sleeping now. Like we both said, he is crawling about, damned idiot will only slow us down at this rate.
Spoiler: images (click to show/hide)

Edit:Thanks for giving him Sakzul's old hammer, even if it wasn't intentional or actually his property, I was planning to pick that beauty up later anyway once she got a better one.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:06:19 pm by Cain12 »

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 21, 2014, 11:52:46 am »

Cain, It looks that save is alright.
I had no idea about the axe. As you can see in military screen - it was totally his initiative and a bit of luck (because we certainly do not have enough weapon for everyone, and I doubt if we even have enough shields.)

Now to the game management discussion. I propose to adapt a wiki for static and semi-static information about the game. At this very moment I am creating stubs of a few pages. Then we will move our discussions to the community games sub-forum.

Please let me know what you think about this.

We will also need several officials for following roles:
1. Chief Justiciar - person responsible for preservation and clarification of laws.
2. Chief Chronicler - person responsible for maintaining the chronicles - an arrangement of history, links to personal diaries and historical accounts of events big and small.
3. Chief Librarian - person responsible for maintaining wiki: Laws, Chronicles, Personal Dages, Design Documents, etc...
4. King of Arms - person responsible for maintaining of the influence ranks and other commandments and honors.

These gentlemen will maintain wiki.
Any volunteers?

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 21, 2014, 12:16:08 pm »

A wiki could be useful. Will take Chief Justiciar if no one else particularly wants it, sounds like the easiest job once the catch up work is done.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 21, 2014, 12:35:12 pm »

IC

"I think it would be useful to have a brief meeting in the meeting hall to put the flooding incident behind us once and for all.  Myself and Cain will recount what we witnessed to those who would hear it.  This will finally put to bed the tragedy and we can painfully move on with civilizing this inhospitable land.  If there is no disagreement then let those who would like to know hear the accounts over a drink this evening."

IC
"If you wish to bring your account to the table, then I am most obliged to listen to you. Please begin."

OOC:
Cain, It looks that save is alright.
I had no idea about the axe. As you can see in military screen - it was totally his initiative and a bit of luck (because we certainly do not have enough weapon for everyone, and I doubt if we even have enough shields.)

Now to the game management discussion. I propose to adapt a wiki for static and semi-static information about the game. At this very moment I am creating stubs of a few pages. Then we will move our discussions to the community games sub-forum.

Please let me know what you think about this.

We will also need several officials for following roles:
1. Chief Justiciar - person responsible for preservation and clarification of laws.
2. Chief Chronicler - person responsible for maintaining the chronicles - an arrangement of history, links to personal diaries and historical accounts of events big and small.
3. Chief Librarian - person responsible for maintaining wiki: Laws, Chronicles, Personal Dages, Design Documents, etc...
4. King of Arms - person responsible for maintaining of the influence ranks and other commandments and honors.

These gentlemen will maintain wiki.
Any volunteers?
Sounds good, though I probably lack the time/skill to help set it up (school commitments, urgh), but I will help where I can. Is there by any chance a influence bonus given, or is this a strictly ooc thing?

It will serve us well to have a proper list of passed laws.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:46:28 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 21, 2014, 12:46:39 pm »

Any volunteers?

I assume that the Chief Librarian mainly has to arrange pages and copy stuff that happens, if that's the case then I take it. :)

Also, can you post the description of my in-game dwarf? Or, if you want to save yourself some trouble, I can search for him myself on the last save.
Would be handy to know his name though.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 21, 2014, 01:05:21 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. If it weren't for the fact that my free time is decreasing, I would volunteer for King of Arms, but as it is I'll have to leave it, as getting things arranged correctly and efficiently should be done properly.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 21, 2014, 01:14:38 pm »

IC
"If you wish to bring your account to the table, then I am most obliged to listen to you. Please begin."

-snip-

Standing at the end of the meeting hall, Coldbones raises her voice, so all can hear:

"Right, here is what I know:

We were mining, attempting to procure more magnetite for the military to better outfit themselves, due to the recent troubles with goblins.  In following the vein, we punctured the aquifer, the blame which rests on my shoulders.  I was eager to provide more valuable ore for those that fight, the bravest of us that face our enemies in battle, and to impress those in charge, I'm afraid.  As the senior miner in the settlement, it is my responsibility to ensure that the mining is completed in the safest manner possible.  I failed in this role, the responsibility for the flooding is mine.

Once the aquifer was breached, the water came fast...we were attempting to control it with a checkerboard freezing pattern and...Iden got trapped in the water.  This is one of the risks involved when mining around aquifers, one which everyone who carries a pick must face.  I was caught in some rubble and so couldn't help...I also can't swim.  Then...."
a catch of the voice..."she froze drown, trapped in the ice water.  Cain was there, but with his broken back, could offer no aid either.  He broke his back when he slipped carrying a part for a pump to help control the flooding, despite the danger to himself.

That is what I witnessed."

Clearing her throat, she looks each dwarf in the eye as she says, "I think that it is important to say that everyone who delves underground, who advances the stopes, every single one of us is at risk each and every day.  From aquifers, from cave ins, from unknown beasts in the underground.  Mining, by its very nature is dangerous.  It could just as easily have been me caught in that water, a risk I knew going in.  A risk that I accept each day that I head into the mines. 

The safest manner possible is not the same as completely safe.  I'm not asking to be excused from the responsibility, as it is mine to bear, just to point out that there are inherent risks involved."

She moves to the side, to make room for Cain to address those gathered as well.

EDIT - edited for correctness, drown instead of frozen
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:32:30 pm by ColdBones »

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 21, 2014, 01:21:21 pm »

Ok, here is our wiki seed : http://gorgeadmired.wikia.com/wiki/Gorgeadmired_Wiki

A wiki could be useful. Will take Chief Justiciar if no one else particularly wants it, sounds like the easiest job once the catch up work is done.

Yeah, basically take the laws coming from senate (after secretary publishes the vote result) and re-post it on wiki. Then interlink it to the other pages.

Sounds good, though I probably lack the time/skill to help set it up (school commitments, urgh), but I will help where I can. Is there by any chance a influence bonus given, or is this a strictly ooc thing?

These are IC roles that have strict OOC responsibilities. These dwarves are increasingly obsessed with information gathering, preserving and organizing for the benefit of the community. They go great lengths to collect and preserve the information for the coming generations. Whether any influence gains should be there for these guys and what those influence benefits should be is up to senatorial or popular ruling. My personal opinion is that if a person is considered a "Chronicler" by the community, and is referred to for historical information - he definitely has some influence in the said community. How much influence will greatly depend on the quality of service the person provides. How to implement it is up to senate or even population.

I assume that the Chief Librarian mainly has to arrange pages and copy stuff that happens, if that's the case then I take it. :)

Yes, post stuff in wiki and interlink it together. Make sure it all looks relatively uniform and nice.

Also, can you post the description of my in-game dwarf? Or, if you want to save yourself some trouble, I can search for him myself on the last save.
Would be handy to know his name though.

Elorf Stesokunib, Potter:

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 21, 2014, 01:28:56 pm »

Please test if you can edit it and if so - please start filling it up with all sorts of relevant info :)

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 21, 2014, 01:47:15 pm »

OOC
Well, despite our best effort Iden managed to drawn. Perhaps we need to construct a swimming pool and start mandatory training sessions.
Iden drowned, think you are getting her and Oilcut mixed up. Checking wiki out now.

Edit: Made a basic law page, so yeah I can edit it fine, should we include the dates (year) they were passed? Laws that didn't pass, do we mention them? Never mind can suss out the details later if you want.

IC
Would rather remain seated if you all don't mind.

Well lets see, I was sent down to build a pump, was carrying a pipe section, passed Iden and Coldbones, took a wrong step and fell.
Pipe section crushed my back, water raised, feared I was going to drown, someone brought me food.

Later, not sure when, someone pulled me out, and as I was being carried out I saw Iden struggling in the water and Coldbones standing there.. it was later that I heard she didn't survive. Any questions or can I get back to resting?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:06:41 pm by Cain12 »

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 21, 2014, 02:22:59 pm »

Standing at the end of the meeting hall, Coldbones raises her voice, so all can hear:

"Right, here is what I know:

We were mining, attempting to procure more magnetite for the military to better outfit themselves, due to the recent troubles with goblins.  In following the vein, we punctured the aquifer, the blame which rests on my shoulders.  I was eager to provide more valuable ore for those that fight, the bravest of us that face our enemies in battle, and to impress those in charge, I'm afraid.  As the senior miner in the settlement, it is my responsibility to ensure that the mining is completed in the safest manner possible.  I failed in this role, the responsibility for the flooding is mine.

Once the aquifer was breached, the water came fast...we were attempting to control it with a checkerboard freezing pattern and...Iden got trapped in the water.  This is one of the risks involved when mining around aquifers, one which everyone who carries a pick must face.  I was caught in some rubble and so couldn't help...I also can't swim.  Then...."
a catch of the voice..."she froze, trapped in the ice.  Cain was there, but with his broken back, could offer no aid either.  He broke his back when he slipped carrying a part for a pump to help control the flooding, despite the danger to himself.

That is what I witnessed."

Clearing her throat, she looks each dwarf in the eye as she says, "I think that it is important to say that everyone who delves underground, who advances the stopes, every single one of us is at risk each and every day.  From aquifers, from cave ins, from unknown beasts in the underground.  Mining, by its very nature is dangerous.  It could just as easily have been me caught in that water, a risk I knew going in.  A risk that I accept each day that I head into the mines. 

The safest manner possible is not the same as completely safe.  I'm not asking to be excused from the responsibility, as it is mine to bear, just to point out that there are inherent risks involved."

She moves to the side, to make room for Cain to address those gathered as well.
IC
Would rather remain seated if you all don't mind.

Well lets see, I was sent down to build a pump, was carrying a pipe section, passed Iden and Coldbones, took a wrong step and fell.
Pipe section crushed my back, water raised, feared I was going to drown, someone brought me food.

Later, not sure when, someone pulled me out, and as I was being carried out I saw Iden struggling in the water and Coldbones standing there.. it was later that I heard she didn't survive. Any questions or can I get back to resting?

IC: "I see. You should know that while there was a time I blamed you, both of you, but I now understand that there was little you could do. I will, of course, not hold it against you from now on."

"One more thing..."

This is one of the risks involved when mining around aquifers, one which everyone who carries a pick must face.  I was caught in some rubble and so couldn't help...I also can't swim.  Then...."[/b]a catch of the voice..."she froze, trapped in the ice.  Cain was there, but with his broken back, could offer no aid either.  He broke his back when he slipped carrying a part for a pump to help control the flooding, despite the danger to himself."

"... did your foot really get caught?"
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:27:58 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 21, 2014, 02:25:56 pm »

Edit: Made a basic law page, so yeah I can edit it fine, should we include the dates (year) they were passed? Laws that didn't pass, do we mention them? Never mind can suss out the details later if you want.

The most important thing about the system we are building is that you can decide what is important and what level of details is needed. The whole point of giving out fancy titles is based upon the inherent incentive it conveys to make decisions and to participate in RP.

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 21, 2014, 03:05:02 pm »

Elorf Stesokunib, Potter:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm looking good! Thanks for the description.

Will try to make some templates/infoboxes for the laws, so that they look sleek and organized. :)
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 60