Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87980 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #435 on: December 29, 2013, 04:58:49 pm »

You are training with your squad on in the south-western training field. Link to the save IS HERE.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 05:25:33 pm by TeleDwarf »

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 29, 2013, 07:29:15 pm »

I wasn't depressed about dying, was looking forward to it a bit, I live, then yay, I die then oh well, I am no longer bound to Cain.
I mean sure there were things I wanted to do but that's not how the game is played.
Besides I can use this, so thanks for not thinking of the pathing issue, now all Cain has to do is live, and let paranoia get to him.

Was referring to the statements of Neblime and someone else, I can see the map fine.
Also, if someone is just planning to drain an aquifer and do nothing with it I see no reason to include one, dwarfy or time consuming and pointless?

His wife is dead, and that law protects her corpse, not sure what you are protecting his wife from.
Requested the save a while back.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 29, 2013, 07:49:14 pm »

Nope, just deleted burrow. Fixed it by making another burrow a civilian sanctuary and then some alerts fun. But an interesting bug nonetheless. Continuing with mines reclamation project. Cain is lying on the ground, fully conscious. Not crawling to hospital, not taking job orders (we have some more kilns to build), not being rescued. He is being fed and given water though.

Someone have brought Cain to hospital.

OOC: Glad to hear everyone survived. Shame about Cain's injury, hoping for a speedy recovery. (Will post IC response later, too sleepy right now for paragraphs of relief and shame and worry and grief and what have you, *P)

Remember that Spring ambush that took Urist? Well, it was not the end of goblin exploits for this year. It is now summer and we have another sneaky ambush. This time one goblin lasher (featuring a fabled goblin whip) leads five goblin macemen  (featuring a variaty of weapons, including fabled goblin morningstars). Standard drill I guess, except now our full-time army will try to make its name too. Stay tuned.

Hmm. Goblins do not rush into the battle, they are just standing across the river. can they not path to us through river? should I build bridge to invite them?

OOC: Conflicted on this one, I don't want any more trouble, but I feel uneasy just leaving them there.

By the way, since you guys are pretty passive at naming things, how do you feel about naming this particular spot a "Lemonpie Waterfall"?

OOC: I like it.

Downloaded the save, just to have a more in-depth look.

EDIt: Looking through the save, I have the following to say:

- You have no idea how happy I am to see all those geese.

-The place looks good, we have large forests ripe for the woodcutting/selective deforestation, That river well separates the top of the map from the rest.

-I worry that Cain's broken lower spine will leave him permanently paralysed and unable to walk.

- We have a God called Ogik Acobnuggad (Ogik Eggdonkey), takes the form of a male dwarf, associated with disease, deformity, creation, birth, and family. I forget whether he was on the list. Regardless, I have decided to dump Othud (charity) in favour of Ogik. I will edit my character sheet to display this change. After all, Kerod wants Children and Family, who better to pray to than him?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:35:35 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 29, 2013, 08:31:38 pm »

Well Cain should still have a slot so will add Ogik as well, think he will be fine, might need crutches, have never had a dwarf break his spine and live before, usually gets killed by whatever broke it.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 29, 2013, 08:51:14 pm »

Wasn't my dorf a brewer? Thought I'd bring that up due to the distillery thing.
Everything's in the news today

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 29, 2013, 09:02:39 pm »

Checking the  save, Your brewing skill is Skilled, but rusty, and you have been dabbling in all sorts of things, like carpenting, weaving, glassmaking, and threshing. Novice in milking, herbalism, wood crafting, and pressing, rusty in each. You have the standard set of military and social skills, plus marksdwarf and student. This is all probably unimportant, but I figured I'd give a quick summary while here.

If you are thinking of getting back into brewing it may take a bit to repair skill rust.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 30, 2013, 03:11:12 am »

You was brewing in the longhall. Some first moonshine barrels are yours. But then you somehow made it to the Council(all questions to the Neblime), and thus you are currently doing the council thing - training with the rest to improve your life expectancy.

How nice that I am not the only one to extract the information now. That really relieves the pressure.

all that livestock serves a number of important functions:
1. They are a source of steady food supply(eggs, milk, cheese), material supply(bone, skulls, leather, wool, hair)
2. They are source of emergency food supply (meat in great quantities)
3. They are an early warning system (like those geese that saved Rome, our geese are usually the first to discover an ambush)
4. Some of those are auxiliary defenses: bears, war bears  and war dogs can be weak in combat, but I have seen at least one situation when a dog finished off an injured thief after the original injurer lost interest and went on his business.
5. And, of course, every swing goblins spend on killing a goose is a swing not spent on killing a dwarf...

Also note that I use latest LNP(dfhack + DwarfTherapist) with a binary patched DF, so you might need those to see it the way I see it. Professions view covers pretty good what is going on and what is the labor division.

OOC Cain,
Aquifer serves a greater role then just a petty nuisance: it adds an extra complexity and risk level to any and all underground operations. We are not going to play it safe. It took two miners lives for us to exercise caution while digging outside in winter. It took us mines flood to even consider using doors in the mines (you can see our testing ground nearby where miners were training to place those). It took us an unfortunate accident with Cain to somehow restrict the traffic through the aquifer works. It will take at least a year before we will finally reclaim the mines...
So, the point here: it takes a great deal experience to execute a complex project. And it is not the kind of experience that you can ignore because of previous forts. Dwarves withing fort must learn how to work underground, above ground and anywhere in between.
Before suggesting anything deep constructed you guys need to take aquifer into an account. You, your kin or otherwise important dwarves may be injured or even killed in the process (As you can see we have a range of pastures  - meeting zones livestock love so much - all over the place, virtually guaranteeing that someone will now and again path through the construction site). and since we are going to build a great city with sewers and crypts and magma piping - aquifer will be with us for a long-long time. It will take a lot of dwarves from us, but I am sure it only adds another spicy topic to discuss and consider :)

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 30, 2013, 06:52:35 am »

I indeed have no son or daughter. Though i see that i have a lot of nieces,nephews and cousins in this fortress... Not all of them but some.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 30, 2013, 12:58:30 pm »

Figured I wouldn't need to ask but could those of you haven't checked your messages do so, or maybe switch notification on? Fine if you don't want to but would be less of a pain if I didn't have to wait a few days for someone to take a gander.
Would rather not have to have all my conversations here just so that they happen at all.

Also, since I'm here, the rule that someone with higher status can't defame someone lower, why is that? Seems like it offers too much protection to someone lower in status, in that other than  decrying them as soldier, accusing them of a crime, or plotting against them, you can't touch them.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 30, 2013, 01:10:21 pm »

Well, despite our best effort Iden managed to drawn. Perhaps we need to construct a swimming pool and start mandatory training sessions.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 30, 2013, 02:15:09 pm »

I suppose we could designate a pond and maybe make the military station there...

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 30, 2013, 02:27:59 pm »

Well, despite our best effort Iden managed to drown. Perhaps we need to construct a swimming pool and start mandatory training sessions.

OOC: Dammit. Oh well, cue the shortly overcome rage and then the immense emotional vulnerability/exploit-ability, then the inevitable search for lover no.2:

IC: Iden? IDEN? IDEN!! You bastards, you careless bastards! How did this happen!? How could you let her die! I will not stand for this. Where is the body, get me the body, get it right now, I must have it, I won't let you bury it, not yet, just not yet. Iden... our plans ... our family ...

[sobs uncontrollably for several minutes]
(OOC: What? There's only so much I can write before veering into cliché, and I'm not good at conveying emotional extremes such as grief/rage.)

[Wearily] ... Cain, when you have recovered from your injury enough to talk you will tell me all that happened. You were there, you saw what happened, I trust you, you must tell me, you simply must. No one else can account for what happened, no one I trust. I will hear it from no one but you. We speak soon, understood?
I have plans to make, and they will take some time. I request idle time to contemplate these events. Bother me only for official business.

((OOC; Is Coldbones alright? I should hope so.

I will expect Kerod to start reluctantly searching for another lover soon enough, for recreational  purposes of course. I am open to people proposing specific dwarfs for this purpose, or just spending time chatting up the idlers. Either way, poor Kerod needs a break.

On the plus side, he's both emotionally vulnerable and in a position of power, which is good for role-play and manipulation by others, so it's not all bad.

Notify me about any new born children. Or should it be an 11 year-old I want for my heir? I would rather not adopt, but I should consider these things, just-in-case. Neblime has kids, right?))
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:33:56 pm by kero42 »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 30, 2013, 03:34:47 pm »

I see no reason peasants should receive proper funerals, especially when our resources are scarce.  If we wish to remember a deceased citizen, we may make our elegies publically.
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 31, 2013, 01:45:08 pm »

Why does nobody post today? Too quiet for my tastes

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 31, 2013, 02:09:12 pm »

Why does nobody post today? Too quiet for my tastes

Well, while I'd like to think you're all wallowing in Kerods grief after my stunning display of emotion in the written form (:P), it's probably because of new years. All the parties, the drinking, and general merriment is probably distracting them from this little thread.

Besides, Christmas Day was the fastest day we had (seriously, it was like 5 pages in a day :o), so it makes sense everyone is going to slow down for a bit. Even I have plans for today.

*HAPPY NEW YEAR*
         \( '-')
          (   (>
          /   |
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:11:38 pm by kero42 »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 60