Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87961 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #360 on: December 25, 2013, 04:16:03 pm »

OOC:
Well, I've got this idea to improve our economy but i believe we can't handle this project and we will need gems for this project... I could post it if you want.

That is completely up to you. The whole point of political game is to guess when to offer what and to whom. Your options are limitless:
just discuss it with us;
send it as a PM to someone, seeking advice/assistance;
start a vote;
leave the army and do everything yourself;
Do it yourself if/when you will be on leave;
or whatever option I did not think of....

Speaking of the economy.
IC:
Seeing how keen council is on large construction projects and how scarce the suitable materials are, and the only material we have enough of is wood. Which is unsafe, flammable, prone to rot and termites... Stone is much better, but it has a disadvantage of being difficult to access, heavy to move and long to carve. And it is, in our current situation, pretty scarce. I have even heard talks of banning free stone usage and imposing direct council control over the current supply.
While I may disagree with the reasons we need stone for, I am still obliged to lead this settlement to glory and to fulfill the decisions of the council. So I went thinking about where to get all that stone from, and things like that, when I stumbled upon a Udil Lilarkubuk, who was making tiny clay huts for his wooden dolls. And it suddenly stroke me! What if use clay bricks instead of stone wherever we can? Bricks hold warmth, fend off fire(OOC: and you can be sure that GM will set everything on fire if a dragon is to breathe fire near the wooden constructions), do not have other wood disadvantages, and we do not need to distract our miners from mining ores to get enough of them.
We can use them for huts, public buildings, even tombs, if council allows. So here I am with this proposal:

Teledwarf Towntunnel (+14) Suggests prioritizing Pottery Industry
While clay is usually longer to process into the bricks at the beginning then stone to blocks, training some potters 24x7 will quickly satiate our need for stone-grade building material, while transportation economy will quickly make bricks much cheaper then stone blocks.

For:1
Against:0

OOC: Sorry, Hahayeah, but it is the only way out of the political/economical crises we are in.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 25, 2013, 04:21:38 pm »

IC
This is splendid news! We might not have stone but we have clay which is much better than the wood which can catch on fire and is weak. If we have a large amount of clay we can use it for our projects. It should satisfy us  until we get the mines back. But here's a non topic question, You may know or may not know that i hate gems, They're useless to me and they don't improve the quality of things, they just make them prettier and prettier is not better... But i see no other option, What is our gem supply? Cause i've got an idea to improve the economy but i cannot tell you it if an important factor to it is missing. I also agree    about the clay
Teledwarf Towntunnel (+14) Suggests prioritizing Pottery Industry
For:2
EDIT: If the idea gets approved after i post it, This character might change his opinion on gems...

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 25, 2013, 04:28:25 pm »

snip
Well sure, we need to "cut costs" where we can now that we are doing a completely pointless grave upgrade.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 25, 2013, 04:43:55 pm »

gems were left in mines and will soon be under 7/7 water. We have some glass-makers though, one of which is legendary, so we can have some glass fake gems.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 25, 2013, 04:46:14 pm »

I forgot, Can we cut those and decorate goods with them? I believe we can only cut normal glass, any stone or gem. Or am i wrong?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 25, 2013, 04:55:59 pm »

we can make glass, then cut it into fake glass gems, we can mine rocks and cut them into stone cabochons, we can mine gems and cut them into... well... cut gems.

I, personally, never was in a fortress that does any of that(or at least was not paying much attention), but in theory we should be able to encrust with any of those things. We can also make classy glass furniture, if anyone is interested.

I also was quite looking forward to see some of my great deeds to be inlaid with valuable gems on my battle armor. Preferably of masterwork or artifact quality, but it is way to soon to think over such fantasies.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 25, 2013, 05:00:00 pm »

Considering that my char's influence is -2, I wont post it cause i don't want it to become -4

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 25, 2013, 07:23:32 pm »

OOC: I am fine with moving time on a bit. Interesting dwarf setup.  I can work with it. What skills does he have that will best benefit the community? also what relation is cains to my dwarf?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:23:01 am by Lexx »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 25, 2013, 07:59:17 pm »

On the topic of building tombs, I would ask you to not be so ridiculous, I propose to dig them underground, and we can surely dig below the aquifer at a location other than the mines?

Exhumation ban
Agree
For: 3
Against: 1
Dignified Housing act:
Disagree
For: 1
Against: 4
Workplace - living intergration act
Agree
For: 4
Against: 0
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 25, 2013, 08:24:27 pm »

The use of clay is an excellent alternative!
For:3
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 25, 2013, 08:41:43 pm »

OOC
Well I would hope we can have an underground tomb, would a building or monument above ground that leads to the tomb be allowed?

Current idea of Kerod's and his successor's final resting place features an underground tomb next to his "manor" (not really big enough to call a manor, more of a medium two floor house house at best)
No screens shots, but it works well enough in my head:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
At best the Kerod line will probably die in four heads so four would be all that is needed, which I think will fit on one corridor side in the current plan. Figure I should see if that would be allowed before working further.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:55:25 pm by Cain12 »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 26, 2013, 12:56:56 am »

Teledwarf Towntunnel (+14) suggests prioritizing clay industry
Agree
An excellent and economic idea.. for the peasants.  I myself would rather remain in my wooden bedroom until I can upgrade to stone (or metal)
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 26, 2013, 01:49:15 am »

Teledwarf Towntunnel (+14) Acclaims Cain Tongstell
Teledwarf Towntunnel (+14) -> (+15) Acclaims Cain Tongstell (+0) -> (+6)
for:6
result: teledwarf gains 1 influence, Cain gains 6 influence
(doing this as a 12 hour since there was no opposition or rhetoric

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 26, 2013, 02:19:45 am »

Firecrazy IC:

Exhumation ban:
Agreed.

Against: 1

Dignified Housing act:
Disagreed.

For: 1
Against: 5

Living integration act:
Agreed.

For: 5

Prioritizing clay industry:
Agreed.

For:5

edit:
OOC:
Hmm... I should focus more on my own clay industry in my fortress, since it appears quite good. Clay is infinite, i believe.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:22:37 am by FireCrazy »

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 26, 2013, 03:15:40 am »

this is 2fast4me, I'm going to request replacement as an important person.

I still might check in now and again to see what's up with my dorf.
Everything's in the news today
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 60